Have you ever dated someone outside your race, and yout family was against it?

• 110 results
smiley_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By smiley_

okay people I get, dang some of you took this question to another level...some of you are so rude!!!!

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Scrawnto

I haven't, but only because I haven't dated anyone. Even if I had, I'm quite certain my family would be unbothered. I'm pretty damn white myself, but some of my cousins are half Puerto Rican, some are half Sri Lankan, and some are half Vietnamese. One of my dad's uncles is African American, and one of his aunts is Venezuelan, if I recall correctly. I'd hardly be setting any sort of precedent for my family.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smiley_: @jarmahead: Once you get out of high school and into your twenties you'll realize that appearance is the least important aspect of attraction. I don't get boners from seeing anyone walking down the street and I do not have a preferred ethnicity. I like talking to people before I decide I don't like them.

That's great for you, but some of us just don't find certain races as attractive as others. As I said, I was with a girl who was of a race other than my "preferred" races, and that was because she made me happy and was fun to be with and I cared about her. But for some of us, appearance plays a role in attraction. I personally believe that chemistry is a quirky thing that means you'll find someone appealing in every way when there's chemistry to be had. And generally for me, that doesn't happen with certain races. Just the way it is. Much like I don't find hipsters attractive. It's not up to you what I decide is important in a significant other. For me, I think being attracted to every part of a person is important. I never said "I'LL NEVER BE WITH A BLACK WOMAN." I just said I don't generally find them particularly attractive.

And I am in fact out of high school. Surprise surprise. I've also managed to talk to people I didn't find immediately attractive. And, not afraid to admit that I feel physicality is important in the chemistry of a relationship. If I'm going to be with someone, I'm not going to compromise. I know people that I personally find attractive exist that are attractive to me on every level, instead of just one that I consider more important. I also bet you absolutely have a type and that you absolutely find some people more attractive than others and that it colors your behavior. Maybe not as much as me (which, to be clear, isn't very much), but it happens. It's just biology, man. No need to fight it.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all about the big ghetto booty

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#105  Edited By Nardak

"Outside my race"? You mean like an alien from another planet or galaxy?

I think we all belong to the same human race despite the colour of our skin.

If the alien women are like the ones that Captain Kirk manages to find then definately yes.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Technically all humans are of the same race, we are all Homo sapiens sapiens.It is an absurdly common misconception, as also evident by the comments here, though I think most are aware of it. The fact that it is used so often by the media, politicians etc. cant help but influence us, as that is the way vocabulary evolves, we hear a sentence enough times and in the end we adopt it, without any kind of conscious decisions.

I think the word race in the context skin color and ethnicity is really detrimental to the fight against racism and we all got to stop using it this way.

Sorry for being slightly of topic and a bit of a dick, but I don't really have any good advice.

Same species, not race.

Turkfinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dated an Indian girl for about 6 years and I am essentially white (half scandanavian/half turkish). My family couldn't care less who I date, which is awesome having that kind of support, but her family was like a brick wall for 5 of those 6 years. Since I wasn't a "nice indian boy" trying to penetrate that wall took a metric shit-ton of effort and even then I was never fully accepted.

It was pretty horrible being shunned at gatherings and such but if you like the person you just gotta go for it and worry about yourself. At the end of the day its your life and even if they think it's bad and don't condone it, they'll love you for who you are and will hopefully come around eventually if they see that the person you're with is awesome.

BeasMeeply

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm white, my wife is Vietnamese. Both of our families love each of us, but there's certainly a palpable barrier between me and some of her family members at times. I don't like fish sauce, for example, which is totally incomprehensible.

To some extent, I think this kind of thing is totally understandable among immigrant communities. They are insular because they have had to be. Particularly for refugee populations who didn't leave their homes by choice, this just isn't the family life they'd envisioned. They grew up expecting a three generation household with grandchildren singing a certain set of children's songs, and I'm an ever-present reminder that they'll never have that. If a person simply isn't able to look past that kind of thing, it shows a weakness of character, but I think it's at least helpful to try to understand why they feel the way they do.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

All the time but I just stopped caring to such a degree that my family started letting it go.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure I've ever been in a relationship with someone within my race, and it's really never been an issue with anyone I know.

(Christ, what do I have against white people?)

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not really no, my kind typically don't go out and meet other people.

And even if I did I live in a location where there is really only one race so to speak.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I have never been in that situation. My family isn't racist.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scampbell said:

Technically all humans are of the same race, we are all Homo sapiens sapiens.It is an absurdly common misconception, as also evident by the comments here, though I think most are aware of it. The fact that it is used so often by the media, politicians etc. cant help but influence us, as that is the way vocabulary evolves, we hear a sentence enough times and in the end we adopt it, without any kind of conscious decisions.

I think the word race in the context skin color and ethnicity is really detrimental to the fight against racism and we all got to stop using it this way.

Sorry for being slightly of topic and a bit of a dick, but I don't really have any good advice.

Same species, not race.

Subspecies as Homo sapiens is our species. I know I wasn't very clear, but I was trying to make the point that it doesn't make sense to use racial classification in the context of our subspecies.There simple isn't enough genetic variation for it to be a useful term. It is possible to find greater genetic variation among two groups of Chimpanzee in the same forest and that doesn't make biologists to refer to them as different races.

In fact I doubt it is useful for anything besides the genetic experiments that is dog races.

Besides the term was practically invented by racist as way to justify slavery. I think that in itself is a good reason not to promote it.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By zenmastah

Yeah, instead of using the word races try ethnicities, i mean i know its alot harder to spell and all but google is right there man.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first girlfriend was Chinese (I'm white), she told me her parents didn't like white people, and they hated black people.

It was a weird day.