Have you ever fallen in love with a new genre of music randomly?

• 74 results
ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ElBarto

I just recently got heavily into, "Chillwave" and Shoegaze style music and I have been stocking up my iPod with artists of these respective genres and found myself listening to it more than anything lately, though it could be because of it being new to me and having run dry my catalog of music for a while now.
Well basically I was listening to some indie bands the other day and decided to youtube some songs just to see what these bands sound live or to see if they had any music videos out of curiosity and I stumbled upon remixes of these bands which sort of drew me to the artists that are responsible for the mix. 
  To give my personal example, I looked up this song by Local Natives and found this Remix, which led me to begin listening to Teen Daze's actual works - which is in that sort of "chillwave" realm of music and then from there I sort of started exploring the genre and then really taking into notice the Shoegaze genre and really getting into that as well.

How about you guys, anyone recently get into a new genre on a whim and absolutely adore the music in it?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BestUsernameEver

i randomly stumbled upon a genre called Valerie, it's all i listen to now, that was in 2009. Mullet records is pretty much my entire library.  Here's good examples of what it sounds like. pretty much electro with 80s sounds. I used to listen to rock and alt like Nirvana and Depeche mode, and still kinda do, but after I found this sound of song, man, i cant get enough. 

This genre really sums up my style that i float to. My gaming consists of sci fi, 1980's sort of feel, the space simulator type of entertainment, and this genre of music completely sums it up. I can't believe it took me this long to find something that is pretty much the best it can get in one particular genre, but I did. The last video is by far my favorite song out of the bunch, and the visuals pair it so fantastically well.  I am trying to make the same sort of music on Reason 5.0, and it's turning out great, but can't touch these few examples here, enjoy Com truise, 'Karova':

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

I have no interest in particular genres. I look for the stand-outs. Musicians who write interesting and complex music that pushes the boundaries beyond genre definitions.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By N7

One day I was on Grooveshark and I saw this thing called Dubstep. It was then that my mind was sent flinging into the future at speeds only comparable to that of Magical Flying Gophers. I found myself that day. And most importantly, I found Dubstep.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BestUsernameEver
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

I have no interest in particular genres. I look for the stand-outs. Musicians who write interesting and complex music that pushes the boundaries beyond genre definitions.

That's what we all do, but of course you must tend to lean to one specific genre sometimes. No one listens to only experimental music that sounds innovative, you probably have a comfort genre, no? 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

My ex taught me that not all acoustic indie stuff is shite. Though now I can't listen to any of it without thinking of her so it's not exactly a regular spin but Damien Rice, Elliott Smith and Sad Brad Smith are all well skill.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gutterkisser
@BestUsernameEver: The '09 Valerie explosion was awesome! Heavy layers of FM synth, thick basslines and dreamy arpeggios... love it.

Many years ago I remember hearing gabber/hardcore for the first time and just being completely blown away - the idea that electronic music could harbour so much anger was a total revelation. 
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse
@Gutterkisser said:
@BestUsernameEver: The '09 Valerie explosion was awesome! Heavy layers of FM synth, thick basslines and dreamy arpeggios... love it.

Many years ago I remember hearing gabber/hardcore for the first time and just being completely blown away - the idea that electronic music could harbour so much anger was a total revelation. 

Can you list some artists that play that?  Sounds interesting.
gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gutterkisser

It's been a while since I've listened to that stuff, but artists like Promo, Ophidian, Nasenbluten, Neophyte, Paul Elstak and The Prophet spring to mind. Mainly Dutch dudes it seems.

Here's a pretty abrasive example, they're not all like this though..

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By joshy9411

I used to be a firm believer that any song with 'screaming' in it was awful, and that said 'screaming' was not music. that was 2 years ago. today all i listen to is punk/ hardcore/metal. some seriously brutal shit. 2 year ago me would be so disappointed.

it happened to be the band A Day to Remember that did it. and since then my mind has been expanded to accept all forms of music. except for mainstream rubbish. keep that kesha shit away from me please.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Yep in fact just recently I got heavily into dubstep it just sounds cool when you're getting into the rhythm of a song and then it suddenly goes "b-b-bhrrrr whht-whht TCH-TCHKAHH zzztt e-e-ch Gimme Something Good vvrrt-whhh ch-ah " like the song is trying to fuck your face in.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By ESREVER

Not really random, but I started getting really into a variety of j-rock. It started with GirlDeMo, the fictitious all girl band from the anime Angel Beats. I really liked the vocalist and just the overall sound of all the songs. That led to HTT from K-On, then started getting a hold of OP and ED themes from shows I liked. 
Even tracking down the work of certain voice actresses for their character albums. LiSA, Yui's singer for girldemo, is one of my favorites at the moment. I really enjoy listening to her sing.  

I probably would not have believed you if you told me a year ago I was going to be in this sort of stuff... but oh well. I don't know if it's "good," but I know I enjoy listening to it.

proflate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By proflate

I was asked to mix some drum and bass pretty recently, never really dug into the genre. Now two weeks later, I've downloaded about 200 albums and the majority of that being liquid funk.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By masternater27

Chillwave stuff kinda came out of nowhere for me. But that's probably because I started listening to it as it came out, so it came out of nowhere for anybody into it at the time. But I did find myself listening to a lot of it all at once.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By theoldhouse
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard

Technically yes, cause I was a prominently Power and Progressive Metal fan, until I found out about Infected Mushroom - who Wikipedia class as Psychadelic Trance. You could say I've fallen in love with that genre, but I've never found any other bands classed as that to check haha. 

@BestUsernameEver: That stuff is pretty awesome.
Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Post-Rock.

A buddy of mine introduced me to a track by God is an Astronaut, and since then, I haven't looked back. It's a surprisingly diverse genre with a lot of standout groups. Some formulas have gotten to be pretty pastiche, but it's a pretty self-aware group of musicians who know when their shit starts to smell.

The song that did it for me, though I'm not sure I'd expect it to elicit the same reaction in other people.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By McGhee

@BestUsernameEver said:

That's what we all do, but of course you must tend to lean to one specific genre sometimes. No one listens to only experimental music that sounds innovative, you probably have a comfort genre, no?

No, not really anymore. It use to be Prog Rock, but then I discovered that even a genre that calls itself "progressive" had grown stale and stuck in its old ways. I do not discover genres and instantly have a revelation, loving all the different groups in that genre. Most bands in a genre all sounds exactly alike, often seeming to be copying from each other or reading from a play book. Two of my favorite bands are The Mercury Program and Toe. Both of these bands, while being very different form each other, could be considered "post rock". I do not really love any other post rock bands. Most of them are completely boring and uninspired like they themselves thought, "We are going to form a post rock band. So we need two or three guitarists, a drummer, and maybe a bass player if he doesn't make much noise. Oh yeah, and NO vocals." The Mercury Program and Toe both stand far above the rest in the depth of their writing and their style.

I do a lot of searching and go from band to band. I can tell you what I've been mostly listening to for the past few weeks: Subtle, 13 & God, Wild Beasts, Sleigh Bells, Bon Iver, and Battles. Aside from Subtle and 13 & God which share band members between them, these groups sound very different. These are just groups I have stumbled upon which have stood out to me above the rest. Sometimes a group does more than stand out, though. Sometimes they are a complete revelation like Subtle. I was actually talking with a friend not too long ago about Subtle and I was having a difficult time describing the band to them. One could point to rap, electronic, and rock, but as a whole it is none of these things. It is its own entity. It contains its own definition. What kind of music is Subtle? Well, Subtle is Subtle. You have to listen for yourself.

This is where you get into bands mixing so many styles that people start creating all sorts of hybrid genre titles. I know it is necessary for music writers, but for me it gets a little ridiculous. At a certain point you can only listen.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gutterkisser
@Ezekeilpurger said:

I was asked to mix some drum and bass pretty recently, never really dug into the genre. Now two weeks later, I've downloaded about 200 albums and the majority of that being liquid funk.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend checking out High Contrast. Actually, anything on Hospital Records is good, I don't know much about drum & bass but they seem to be the biz when it comes to that liquid, soulful shit.

@McGhee_the_Insomniac
: Cheers for the intro to Subtle, interesting stuff there. Battles are good fun too; fantastic to see live. Have you listened to Prefuse 73? Featured one of the guys from Battles, pretty organic instrumental hip hop with MPC choppiness a bit like the guy on the sampler in that Subtle video.
mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mfpantst

i'm in love with kreayshawn now- so yea.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Aetheldod

Well one night I was randomly changing radio stations (this was during late 90's :P) and came upon a metal music program and heard the last bit of a song , then the dj said something about it being black metal .... then I searched for some records .... I never looked back it is by far my favorite type of music.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gutterkisser
@Aetheldod: The classic love story!
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Commando

No. Country has always been my thing.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dungbootle

Got way into punk rock through one of my now best friends. The music, energy, and ideology has a special place in my heart. Same guy always tries to get me into chillwave, but its not really my thing.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By theguy

I fell in love with classical music when I started to learn to play piano and L.A. Noire made me fall in love with jazz..

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By amir90

Yes, just recently, dubstep.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Animasta

I just got into pop music because I watched all of glee

(I REGRET NOTHING)

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ElBarto
@BestUsernameEver: Shit. I love me some New Wave music and this stuff sounds excellent.
phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phish09

You are totally speaking my language friend.  I've never bought or avoided any music because of it's perceived "genre".  Good music is good music.  'nuff said.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mnzy

Ska.

ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ElBarto
@joshy9411 said:

I used to be a firm believer that any song with 'screaming' in it was awful, and that said 'screaming' was not music. that was 2 years ago. today all i listen to is punk/ hardcore/metal. some seriously brutal shit. 2 year ago me would be so disappointed.

it happened to be the band A Day to Remember that did it. and since then my mind has been expanded to accept all forms of music. except for mainstream rubbish. keep that kesha shit away from me please.

ADTR really seems to be a breakthrough band for people getting into music with "screaming" I'm really glad you didn't call it screamo music or I'd have thrown a fit. I can't say that ADTR got me into "core" music but I do know a handful of people who pretty much got into the music because of that band. Interesting stuff.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Once, dub step.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By ShaggE

Discovered Crystal Castles last year, now into electronic. Although mainly into CC. 

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mnzy
@ShaggE said:
Discovered Crystal Castles last year, now into electronic. Although mainly into CC. 
Check out Kap Bambino.
Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By Sooty

I listen to music when playing some games by using Grooveshark on the Steam overlay (beats tabbing out into Winamp to change playlists) and recently this song came on randomly, sort of got me pretty hooked on the genre. Which is some crazy form of trance I believe.

It had the added bonus of making TF2 seem even more batshit crazy in a 32 player server

@ElBarto said:

@joshy9411 said:

ADTR really seems to be a breakthrough band for people getting into music with "screaming" I'm really glad you didn't call it screamo music or I'd have thrown a fit. I can't say that ADTR got me into "core" music but I do know a handful of people who pretty much got into the music because of that band. Interesting stuff.

I find it weird as I absolutely hate "screaming" music yet love death/black metal. I hate the vocals of "core" music so much yet stuff like this doesn't bother me whatsoever:

Stuff like Bring Me the Horizon and Job for a Cowboy just makes me want to puke
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xMP44x

I started to enjoy German industrial metal. At the start it was quite a random phase due to the fact that I barely knew any German at the start. Now, I've reached a point where I can follow a fair amount of the lyrical meaning to the songs I'm listening to. And yeah, when I said 'German industrial metal' it pretty much ensured everyone knew I was talking about Rammstein. I really enjoy their music. It's quite refreshing to hear music with a meaning that can be as deep as you make it.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By captain_clayman
@ShaggE said:
same here dude, i'm super into all forms of electronic, except i started with deadmau5 not CC.  also really getting into skrillex and dubstep/electro weirdness in general.  it's like a whole spectrum of music i've been missing out on for a long time.   

i'm also starting to experiment around with music software and making my own stuff at it and i'm slowly starting to get good at it, it's a ton of fun.
thatguyfosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By thatguyfosho

Post-rock blew me away. Also, I never saw myself getting into a lot of trance, but I love that shit.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HandsomeDead
@xMP44x said:
I started to enjoy German industrial metal. At the start it was quite a random phase due to the fact that I barely knew any German at the start. Now, I've reached a point where I can follow a fair amount of the lyrical meaning to the songs I'm listening to. And yeah, when I said 'German industrial metal' it pretty much ensured everyone knew I was talking about Rammstein. I really enjoy their music. It's quite refreshing to hear music with a meaning that can be as deep as you make it.
You should try Oomph! and Eisbrecher as well.
JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JCTango
@ElBarto said:

How about you guys, anyone recently get into a new genre on a whim and absolutely adore the music in it?

I usually just listen to whatever gives me some good vibes =).

Say, that music that you posted on your OP is pretty catchy and chill.  I like it :).
ElBarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ElBarto
@Ygg: I don't like BMTH or JFAC either. I love Death Metal though, I don't think your disliking for screams is unfounded. The High pitched screams are kind of egh on the ears. 

Theres a lot of range in "Core" music

Deathcore: 

Metalcore: 

Post-Hardcore:

Hardcore:

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

After hearing the score from The Social Network, I got really into Trent Reznor and Industrial.
That man is a genius, and an inspiration to artists in all medias.

DjCmeP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By DjCmeP

Yeah. Dubtep..when it wasn't as popular as it is now. I still listen to that genre of music occasionally.

nackbagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By nackbagger
@ElBarto said:
@Ygg: I don't like BMTH or JFAC either. I love Death Metal though, I don't think your disliking for screams is unfounded. The High pitched screams are kind of egh on the ears. 

Theres a lot of range in "Core" music

Deathcore: 

Metalcore: 

Post-Hardcore:

Hardcore:

Most people my age where I live especially younger teens call every kind of heavy music screamo. Be it A Day to Remember or Suicide Silence or even Veil of Maya. It makes me sick. Then there are the kids who call everything hardcore without ever listening to real hardcore like Gallows or Agnostic Front. It sickens me.
ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ShockD
@xMP44x said:
We have more in common than I expected. I used to dislike metal until I heard "Du Hast" a few years back and turned into a complete rivethead since.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By xMP44x
@HandsomeDead said:

You should try Oomph! and Eisbrecher as well.

Great! Thanks for the recommendations!

@antikorper said:
We have more in common than I expected. I used to dislike metal until I heard "Du Hast" a few years back and turned into a complete rivethead since.
In my case, it was 'Sonne' that I heard. At the start I barely knew any of the lyrics, and even now it's probably one of the songs I don't know as well. However, I can understand most, if not all, of 'Rosenrot', which is great.
Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Matfei90

Progressive Trance hooked me a few months ago.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By MachoFantastico

Fell in love with dubstep while relaxing one night and some appearing on my recommended artists on Last.FM. Weird to describe but just loved turning it up and messing with your head. Personally listen to all sorts of music, happily go from say The XX to some real classical music. Never been a big fan of the people who will exclusively listen to one type of music and then criticise or attack those that vary their music taste. Those people can happily go to hell in my opinion.

One of the reasons I have nothing against people who like say pop music or girl/boy bands, they're not harming me so why should I attack their choice in music.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By artofwar420

Hip-hop, I've recently found that I actually love it.

Falx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Falx

yep i have