Have you ever read something very off-putting?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I know I shouldn't feel this way just off of a YouTube comment, but I replied to someone, telling them they need to be more optimistic about the way people are, but he was very hateful; not towards me indirectly, but towards people in general. He was going on about how white people treated black people in the past, and how white people treat white people now, and then he went on to say that if he was even slightly more irate, he'd be killing a lot of white people. Now, this has nothing to do with me being scared, but it has to do with just reading something that's extremely hateful that made me stressed out, if only slightly.

I always like to think the best in humans, and rid of the hatred. I guess I don't really have to ask the question, but I wanted to get this off my chest. I didn't really want to talk to anyone in person about it. I know there are those that have extreme prejudice, or racism, but I never encountered it for myself in this way, and never want to. My comment didn't set him off, it was really harmless, he just seemed like a really sordid person and it was off-putting; he was already going on and on about whatever before. Well, alright, thanks for reading. This may seem minor, and that's understandable, but like I said, I just wanted to write this because it may make my tension go down. I don't often feel this way. I'm usually very enthusiastic, and I don't let little things get to me most of the time.

I don't know why, but it makes me sad and it's as if right now, since then, I have bottled up emotions. I really feel strongly about things like this, though I do know an individual commenting on the internet shouldn't ruin my day; more so because he wasn't targeting me specifically. Alright, bye.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By bishna

Trying to see the good in people and trying to appeal to that good is, well, good. Keep trying to make the world a better, more peaceful, and more understanding place. I often times find myself feeling the same way after situations like these. As long as your intentions are good, and you try to empathize with people, then you are doing the right thing.

Once it is out of your mind, chill out and play some video games. Works for me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I thought this was about books in general and I was ready to write down all these negative thoughts about Wise Blood. Ugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM said:

I know I shouldn't feel this way just off of a YouTube comment, but I replied to someone, 

You already fucked up. 
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

@believer258: Ha ha, sorry.

@Soapy86: It didn't really have to do with the comment being replied back to me, but thank you.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By awesomeusername

Yes, your post.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheHumanDove

The only thing that will kill brain cells faster than reading a facebook status is reading a youtube comment.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dungbootle

I think it's good that you're positive. I don't know what to tell you, but some people are so deep into their cynicism that it's very hard to reach out to them.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@Bishna: Yeah, luckily (as fast as it may seem) I'm over it now. I have been thinking about playing a game. Thanks for the post.

@TheHumanDove: True, but whether it be on the internet or in reality, it's all the same (in a sense); those people are out there. I agree though.

@awesomeusername: I should have put a warning sign at the beginning, ha ha. Eh, I hate feeling that way; rarely do. Sorry about that.

@dungbootle: Yeah, that's true. After the reply I decided not to reply back because that'd just go nowhere other than making me feel worse, and that'd be dumb of me. Thanks for your post.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HaltIamReptar

The double standard is weird. If someone is an asshole to you in real life, you get sympathy, but if it happened on the internet, you're just told, "lololol internet". That never helped a brother.

Carousel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Carousel

These forums.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By stonyman65

Every fuckin' day. That's what the internet is good for isn't it?

Try not to let it get to you dude. Most people out there are just stupid, ignorant assholes. Don't let it get ya down.

And if they say it to your face, punch 'em.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheHumanDove

@HaltIamReptar said:

The double standard is weird. If someone is an asshole to you in real life, you get sympathy, but if it happened on the internet, you're just told, "lololol internet". That never helped a brother.

Well put it into perspective. People are a lot more reserved in real life for the most part. And even if they're not, a lot more crazies gather in places on the internet than in real life. I can think of lots of examples of people I know that act one way, but then on their facebook vent about crazy shit and treat it like a private diary. People just tend to act differently, so it's not really the same thing

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TruthTellah

@NTM: It's natural to feel that way sometimes. Hate is a powerful thing, and it can and often should sicken us. I have faced such anger many times before, and while I'm usually rather good at not letting it get to me, sometimes it does make me a bit sad. For someone to know such sadness that it must come out in such a destructive way. It can tear at even the most resolute of joy or optimism.

But, ultimately, you just have to let it hit you for a bit, and then brush it off. There will always be things to pick away at your hope, but you must keep looking forward. It's not unusual to feel as you do now, and you'll probably feel unsettled like this some more in the future. The important thing is just accepting it for what it is, and then keep on doing what you're doing.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

The /b/ board on 4chan will shatter any hope you have left for the human race. Not necessarily because of the people that post there, but the things they drag up from the dark, dark, underbelly of the internet. I once saw a few screencaps from a message board called "violent desires", a deepweb site where only the most horrid of fetishes could be discussed freely. The idea that any of the fantasies I read ever came to fruition terrified the living shit out of me. Anyone can write a fucked up post on the internet for shits and gigs, the but intricacy, the attention to detail, the obvious arousal that came from these people was beyond frightening. Gives me shivers just thinking about it.

So yeah, if Youtube comments set you off you wanna stay the fuck away from /b/.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By colourful_hippie

@awesomeusername said:

Yes, your post.

Well that was fast.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By habster3

Although I'd describe myself as a somewhat misanthropic person, even I think his statements sounded too extreme. I'd probably be put off by a comment like that if I were in such a situation.

So, yes, I am occasionally put-off by what people say/write.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ravenlight

@Soapy86 said:

@NTM said:

I know I shouldn't feel this way just off of a YouTube comment, but I replied to someone,

You already fucked up.

Yeah. Lesson two of the Internet. Don't read or respond to YouTube comments. It's cynical and fucked up but there's no intelligent life to be found on planet YouTube.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Best way to get over that kind of thing is to go say something nice to someone. Keep the universe in balance.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By crusader8463

Nothing comes to mind, but I have been to some of the darkest corners of the internet and seen some really truly bad things in the form of videos and photos that have left me pretty numb to things on the internet getting any kind of emotion out of me. So I would not care to see what it would take for just words to make me feel that way. The only thing that really gets me going is when I see/hear people say they have a POV on something that is so uneducated and just disturbingly stupid that it makes me sad to think someone could have thought hard enough to have an opinion on something yet lacked putting in the effort to do so little research on the subject before coming up with their opinions.

In terms of just racism as you described it in your op, I have known several non-white people in my time that honestly, and without a shred of irony, believed that only white people can be racist and that all white people are racist. Just that some hide it better then others. Knowing that there are people that will go through their entire life thinking like that just makes me sad. I hope it's something that gets weeded out over generations, but sadly I think it will always be there.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By triviaman09

@Carousel said:

These forums.

Ha, beat me to it (though the OP seems genuine).

Hey, OP, don't ever take anything said on the internet seriously and don't ever let it bum you out. Life is too short.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22  Edited By spiceninja

Every time I wonder into the Unpopular Opinions thread I want to start swinging at people, so I stay away from there.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

I should reiterate it to those that may have interpreted it wrong. While I was stressed out about it for a while, this wasn't some kind of thing where someone was after me and doing shit towards me, it was how he had hatred to many.

@triviaman09: I don't usually take things serious on the internet, but just because it's on the internet doesn't mean it's not a real person who actually has these feelings, and that made me sad, that's all. I agree though.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NTM

@TheHumanDove said:

@HaltIamReptar said:

Well put it into perspective. People are a lot more reserved in real life for the most part. And even if they're not, a lot more crazies gather in places on the internet than in real life. I can think of lots of examples of people I know that act one way, but then on their facebook vent about crazy shit and treat it like a private diary. People just tend to act differently, so it's not really the same thing

Yeah, I have a huge problem with that, and I try my best to be who I am on the internet. It's kind of like a lie to me, and I can't stand lying.

Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By indiana_jenkins

Do you remember SOPA/PIPA, and how certain websites went dark for protest?

There is a Twitter account that was created that only retweeted kids that were... let's just say kids that were super upset that Wikipedia was down in protest. It was really funny for the first 15 minutes, but then it became really depressing. It was just the worst scum of the earth spewing their vitriol and ignorance for all of Twitter to see.

The worst part about that account is that just when you forget it exists it will pop up during important "cultural events" (such as the presidential election) to remind you that humanity sucks.

The youth is our future, and the future looks fucking bleak.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By awesomeusername

@NTM: I was only kidding. :P

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By awesomeusername

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@awesomeusername said:

Yes, your post.

Well that was fast.

What do I win?!

Tiamatsword22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tiamatsword22

This is perhaps the most concentrated amount of crazy I've found on the internet so far. It's really long so I'm just going to link it

http://holybloodline.blogspot.com/2010/01/descendents-of-jesus-yashuas.html

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikkaQ

Not usually, being raised with the internet kinda forced me to develop thick skin however, once in a while the seemly endless frothing cauldron of hatred that is large pockets of the internet DOES get to me, in the sense that's it's just overwhelming. I'm just glad I don't see people that hateful in everyday life. Whether they keep their insanity to themselves in the real world, or just live alone in isolated shacks, I will never know.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

@NTM said:

I know I shouldn't feel this way just off of a YouTube comment, but I replied to someone, telling them they need to be more optimistic about the way people are, but he was very hateful; not towards me indirectly, but towards people in general. He was going on about how white people treated black people in the past, and how white people treat white people now, and then he went on to say that if he was even slightly more irate, he'd be killing a lot of white people. Now, this has nothing to do with me being scared, but it has to do with just reading something that's extremely hateful that made me stressed out, if only slightly.

Quickly blame it on the Jews and get the fuck outta there.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By joshthebear

The Internet is full of assholes and racists, so yes.

HeyImPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By HeyImPhoenix

YouTube is full of trolls.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By DarthOrange
@joshthebear said:
The Internet is full of assholes and racists, so yes.