Hey, Is McDonalds a good job?

deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deusdigit

I was wondering. Because in my county, jobs are not a option much anymore. The local walmart is being turned into a supercenter in the next town from here. So we won't have that anymore and The job i work at may close down because its not making profits. Well i'm a adult, but i need money to Do what i want to do and was wondering if i am in a bit of a surprise. Because i was interviewed today and The manager said it was hardcore. What type of surprises await me? I don't plan to spend the rest of my life there or anything, i just wanted to know if it pays well ect. your thoughts/ questions? Thanks.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Well, you probably don't live in the USA so, it's probably not a bad job.  It's better then nothing.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

A friend of mine said it was good work. Her co-workers were bit dickish though. But the work was enough to support her in the time being..

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hitchenson

A job's a job.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By ArchScabby

My first job when I was 16 was at Mcdonalds, and it actually wasn't that bad.  I mean it wasn't good, but It wasn't torture like people make it seem.  I didn't mind it.  Just be prepared  to not be able to speak to half your co-workers because they don't speak english.  At least that's how it was at the one I worked at.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By grilledcheez

Well, it depends on what hours you work.  McDonald's are capable of getting crazy busy which sucks, you get treated somewhat poorly, and the working conditions aren't very good (breathing grease vapor is not good for you).

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Insectecutor

It's a shitty job, but shitty jobs are a rite of passage.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ApertureSilence

My wife had a terrible time working for McDonald's, but then again that was in Bumblefuck, Virginia. Might be better where you are.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9  Edited By natetodamax
@dcpc10 said:

" @natetodamax said:

" Ew "

Talk about ignorance. You probably never had a job at mcdonald's so don't criticize someone trying to make a living. "
Sorry, but I've had some pretty nasty experiences in McDonalds. I can't imagine it'd be much different behind the counter.

Plus, I wasn't trying to criticize him in any way. I was simply expressing my thoughts on McDonalds with a single word. Is that to much?
Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Damien

A job's a job.  You gotta get that green somehow.  On the plus side, McDonald's prob won't shut down soon, so it's stable.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11  Edited By natetodamax
@dcpc10 said:
" @natetodamax said:

" @dcpc10 said:

" @natetodamax said:

" Ew "

Talk about ignorance. You probably never had a job at mcdonald's so don't criticize someone trying to make a living. "
Sorry, but I've had some pretty nasty experiences in McDonalds. I can't imagine it'd be much different behind the counter.  Plus, I wasn't trying to criticize him in any way. I was simply expressing my thoughts on McDonalds. Is that to much? "
Well ''ew'' is not really ''expressing thoughts'' now is it? I don't wanna be a jerk but it didn't sound like you gave a crap about the actual subject at hand. It seems like you came into this topic, saw ''Mcdonalds'' mentioned, then just posted the one word that came from your mind afterwards. AKA posting for the sake of posting. "
Holy crap, I'll delete my comment then.
Luberik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Luberik

great arguments about 'ew' lol

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero

There's a lot of people who use McDonalds as a way to get off on the right foot. If it pays money go for it. Although, I wouldn't go thinking you can make a living through working there.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#14  Edited By citizenkane

I liked it when I worked there a couple of years ago.  Then again, I lucked out with the best group in town and the owner was my neighbor.
skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By skunk

Despite what people say, McDonald's is a GREAT job for many reasons. 

Here are a couple of them:
1)Keeps you on your toes - Really, any restaurant work is good on the resume because they'll know you had to work under pressure and time constraints. Something everyone can benefit from and is a HUGE plus for later jobs.

2) Customer Service - One of THE most important qualities for both work and life. Being able to deal with people and finding out what works is invaluable.

and 3)You gotta do whatcha gotta do - Screw the haters that think McDee's is for losers. The real losers are the ones not getting a job because they think they're above it. A job is a job. Sure you might not make a career out of it but the experience you learn here will carry on to your next job. Plus the money in your pocket doesn't hurt. I use to work at Cineplex Odeon, not the most glamorous job but holy shit did I learn a lot there. Don't regret it one bit.

Good luck and hope the new job goes well!

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

Mcdonald's doesn't pay well.  But it's also not that difficult and a job is a job.
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ververdan0226

I guess so.... money's money. Not the best job, but if you're just looking to make money, it seems a perfectly fine means to an end.

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By laticsfan

I would take any job I could get right now.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By buzz_killington

It is not a job, it is corporate slavery specially since they pay teenagers less than adults (and they mostly higher teenagers!). I have refused to work at McDonald's all my life, choosing to either deliver paper or work in the field that my career was going to be related to (I'm talking about my teen years). But since you have not choice...

Avatar image for deactivated-5833500e27d17
deactivated-5833500e27d17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

its sucks i work there , its suck working there in Canada so probably suck working there in the U.S

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By RichardLOlson

Mcdonalds is a shitty job to work at personally.  And another place that really blows donkey balls to work at would be wal-mart.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have no choice I proably isn`t too bad, should be pretty stable, as a Mcdonalds going out of buisness is unlikely

Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ken420

I worked at a Mcdonalds for 6 months when I was 19, as a punishment for dicking around in college.  The pay was right above minimum wage but all in all, it was alright.  The worst thing about it, is that you will get people who expect a 3 Michelin Star experience.   

One moment that sticks out in my mind is when a lady rudely asked me to cut her burger into 4 pieces.   I refused to bow to such a frivolous request, so I promptly handed her a knife.  45 mins later, I'm getting a "customer's always right" talk from a manager because said lady complained to McDonalds corporate.  But damn it Jim, it was worth it.   And people will try to blame you for shit just to get free food... as I was accused of taking a bite size nibble out of a burger patty.  In today's murky global economy, get what you can.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By crusader8463

I haven't worked there my self but i have heard they offer great medical and dental around here. They pay above minimum wage here as well so you usually make a good $10.00-$12.00 an hour which is good pay. Just from seeing them work there though I'm sure its a very hard and thankless job with a huge turn over on employees. That is why they need to pay them so much me thinks. If you can take the hard work i guess its worth it, but you gotta be tough to do it. And as mentioned try to get a good shift like nights so you never get too busy.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArchScabby
@Ken420 said:
" I worked at a Mcdonalds for 6 months when I was 19, as a punishment for dicking around in college.  The pay was right above minimum wage but all in all, it was alright.  The worst thing about it, is that you will get people who expect a 3 Michelin Star experience.     One moment that sticks out in my mind is when a lady rudely asked me to cut her burger into 4 pieces.   I refused to bow to such a frivolous request, so I promptly handed her a knife.  45 mins later, I'm getting a "customer's always right" talk from a manager because said lady complained to McDonalds corporate.  But damn it Jim, it was worth it.   And people will try to blame you for shit just to get free food... as I was accused of taking a bite size nibble out of a burger patty.  In today's murky global economy, get what you can. "
Same thing happened to me when I worked there. 

A guy got a burger in the drive through and 10 minutes later he drove all the way back to come inside and accused someone of taking a bite out of his patty because it had a little indent in it.  When he asked if someone ate some of it I just said, "I don't know, I don't cook,"  just so that idiot would never know if someone did or not.
RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Money is good for you. Therefore McDonalds is good for you. Take the job.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PercyChuggs
@Hitchenson said:
" A job's a job. "
This. Unless it's something unbelievably degrading like jizz mopper or assistant to a jizz mopper, work is work, don't let anyone mock you for having a "McJob", they can stick it up their pompous ass.
deusdigit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deusdigit

Well the manager, the guy who interviewed us. Said he was going to make us Perfect if we were not perfect. What i want to know is, judging by your experiences at McDonalds. Do you half to be universal or do they choose who works in the back and the front ect. or do they make you do BOTH? (cps)
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArchScabby
@deusdigit said:
" Well the manager, the guy who interviewed us. Said he was going to make us Perfect if we were not perfect. What i want to know is, judging by your experiences at McDonalds. Do you half to be universal or do they choose who works in the back and the front ect. or do they make you do BOTH? (cps) "
I kind of did everything that wasn't cooking.  The drive through, front counter, cleaning and dishes.  The cooks I think are a completely different job because they never do anything but cook.
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoelTGM

the people who work at mc donalds (especially the drive-thru) look really bummed out.  Interesting to see a new employee looking all cheerful, and then the next week they look like a zombie.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I'm stuck working there because the job market's dead in this 6,000 population town thanks to the "recent economic downturn." :B It's not enjoyable at all. A few weeks ago, some guy walked in and openly threatened one of our managers. That was kind of scary, since I was by the front counter at the time. Generally when I work I'm working around a majority of people who don't speak English as their first language, most being some form of Eastern European. I feel kind of left out in that respect, since I don't understand anything they say. :P

They'll more than likely give you very few hours. As of right now I'm getting anywhere between five and ten hours every week, at $7.25 an hour. They've also got me doing the dirty, crappy jobs that nobody else wants to do.

Edit: As for your question regarding being universal or not, you generally should be, but if they feel you gravitate towards being good at a specific job, they'll primarily have you doing that. They usually have me cooking or doing maintenance shit.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By buzz_clik

When I was a teenager, heaps of my mates used to work there and they were fine with it. One of them was more than fine, actually, because he became a manager for a long time.

I certainly think there are worse jobs you can have. I used to be a cleaner at a university to make money for my move to Melbourne, and that is thankless work that sees you getting up while it's still dark. On the positive side, I became quite adept with a floor polisher. Those bad boys can be absolute chaos if you don't know how to handle one.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By mikemcn
@ArchScabby said:
"My first job when I was 16 was at Mcdonalds, and it actually wasn't that bad.  I mean it wasn't good, but It wasn't torture like people make it seem.  I didn't mind it.  Just be prepared  to not be able to speak to half your co-workers because they don't speak english.  At least that's how it was at the one I worked at. "

I would imagine McDonalds is a good High school job.
Ken420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ken420
@ArchScabby:   
Ohhh man, the bad customer memories are flooding back.  Those drive-thru Assbags were the worst.  

"Large unsalted fries please"  (That phrase always made me shudder as you had to make a new batch of fries specifically for this customer)

& when the transactions done...

"By the way, can I get like 5 packets of salt please?"

I salute you, fast food workers of the world!
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Karmum

Good? No. It's a job, so I wouldn't be complaining much. I have an extremely close McDonalds near me, but I haven't had lucky working there.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By killdave

To drink the Big Mac sauce... sure its a brilliant job. 

Although you might get fired, still totally worth it

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iam3green

i would imagine that mcdonalds are the same around the world. i have heard bad things about working there. when i had gone to italy, rome, the people there seemed to not mind it as fast food like what we americans look at it as. it was right near a famous statue.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By gingertastic_10

About 3/4 of my school works at McDonalds.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Wolverine
@deusdigit: I'm 16 and I work at Wendy's and it isn't that bad. The Wendy's I work at is under staffed, to the point were like once my 19 year old manager cooked all the food, his girl friend who works with us covered the front and I took drive threw. It was really busy at the time to but we managed until other workers started to show up. I get payed minimum wage and they give $0.10 raises every 6 months which really is nothing. I'm happy to be making an income, all my hard work will pay off in the long run.   

@natetodamax: I've always liked you but I've lost respect for you after that comment.  I work with a Mexican guy that works 18 hours a day, 7 days a week so he can financially survive. He has diabetes and has really high medical bills. Think about people that are less fortunate than you before you look down at there profession.