Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Anyone else read this book? Anyone else thinks it brilliant?

Its hilarious, i loved it, the movie was so so though

Ive read all the others except for the last one, which im going to get to soon enough.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheGremp

I'm actually in the process of reading the book at the moment.  I generally don't read books for fun, but I love Hitchhiker's Guide.  I've also watched the BBC mini-series like 5 times, and watched the movie, which was rather disappointing.

Douglas Adams is a comedic genius.

marlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3  Edited By marlow83

Yeah I liked it. I read it after watching the movie though (which was just okay), so it was hard for me not to imagine Ford not looking like Mos Def, instead of how Douglas Adams described him.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Sprizmo
@Mikemcn: Wait till you read the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, the second book. That is my very favorite and I read all 7. Douglas Adams was closely tied to the Monty Python guys, and you know how geniuses love to stick together. Also, check out the original radio broadcast, that was created before he wrote the books. All good stuff.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Read the books (all five in the trilogy), listened to the radio show, watched the TV series and avoided the movie like the plague because I knew it was going to be terrible.

Either way, the books are fantastic, the radio show was fantastic, the TV show was fantastic. So funny.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By Black_Rose

I read a few chapters but found it way too boring to continue reading so I just stopped.

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

my english teacher let me borrow it over summer. I'd like to read it, but I want to finish my summer reading assignment book first (Speak... apparently it's about dealing with rape). FUN AWN DA BUN

I heard the book is hilarious though, I'm excited to read it. Wasn't there a movie based on it?
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikemcn
@nofx4208:
Yes there was, its not terrible and is worth at least renting once just to see.
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By singular

I'm actually readíng the book for the fifth time at the moment. I've read all other hitchiker boioks at least once and other books by Douglas Adams such as some book from the Dirk Gently series and Starship Titanic. (Posted automatically by the hitchiker-thread spiderbot)

Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By TheLawnWrangler
@Mikemcn said:
" @nofx4208: Yes there was, its not terrible and is worth at least renting once just to see. "
thanks man, I'll check it when I go rent another game/movie
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mikemcn

I like the pot of petunias/whale chapter

Anubis_Dragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Anubis_Dragoon

i read it and loved.  Saw the movie, and I was really disappointed in the movie to be honest.  The books are pure masterpiece though.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By kashif1

i loved the book, however the series seemed to get worse after book 2.

my favorite line from the series is
"the is a certain knack to flying, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Pazy

I love the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy but my favourite "forms" are the Text Adventure game (which can be played on the BBC's website with some basic graphics and a save feature) and the original Radio Series.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By buzz_clik
I loved the books as a kid, and was quite excited to see the film. While it had its moments of delightful innovation, as a whole it was quite disappointing. Despite what I've read in other corners of the internet, I actually thought Sam Rockwell's Zaphod was great. I also went to see the movie with my girlfriend and a couple of other mates. While she didn't think it perfect, the film actually made my lass curious about the books, which she then went on to enjoy immensely. My other friends, however, didn't see what all the fuss was about, and I'm sure they've forgotten the film (and books) exist.

@SinGulaR said:
" I'm actually readíng the book for the fifth time at the moment. I've read all other hitchiker boioks at least once and other books by Douglas Adams such as some book from the Dirk Gently series and Starship Titanic. (Posted automatically by the hitchiker-thread spiderbot) "
The first Dirk Gently book is still one of my favourite reads ever. Every now and then I'll take it from the shelf and breeze through it all over again. Such an inventive and clever story, full of great characters. I didn't like Long Dark Teatime as much, though.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Wolverine
@Mikemcn: I saw the movie and I liked it. If you are recommending the book maybe I'll read it.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Diamond

I LOVE the BBC radio productions.  Don't think the books are quite as good.  Saw the movie, but I'd have to watch it again to judge it properly.

I've listened to the entire BBC radio series like 30-50 times now.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By buzz_clik
@Lydian_Sel said:
" I also have the BBC tv series on dvd, which isn't quite as brilliant. "
I have a soft spot for for the old telly version. Production values are a bit rubbish sometimes, but it still has its charm.
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fr0br0

I guess even the British hated the movie. I thought I didn't like it because of the British humor, but maybe it was because it was just a bad movie. Kind of hard to tell the difference sometimes...

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By CL60
@TheGremp said:
" I'm actually in the process of reading the book at the moment.  I generally don't read books for fun, but I love Hitchhiker's Guide.  I've also watched the BBC mini-series like 5 times, and watched the movie, which was rather disappointing.Douglas Adams is a comedic genius. "

I don't read books either, but would you recommend the book? The only book I've pretty much ever read for fun was I Am Legend.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pazy
@Fr0Br0 said:
" I guess even the British hated the movie. I thought I didn't like it because of the British humor, but maybe it was because it was just a bad movie. Kind of hard to tell the difference sometimes... "
I loved the movie though I can see for the most part it is a medicore movie, but its a mediore movie with hitchhikers idea so I had a lot of fun watching it.