How do you consume your news?

• 56 results
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

I'm running a very non-scientific poll for the sake of a project I'm working on.

Please tell me how you stay informed on current events. Or if you even care. Do you tune in on 24 hour news like Fox or MSNBC? Read the paper like the Washington Post? Hope people on Twitter/Facebook mention important stuff? Do you seek out news at all? Please let me know all the outlets you regularly get news from. Why do you use those outlets? Also, do you feel like you're informed?

Please also include your age and gender if you're comfortable sharing that.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Internet primarily.

bill_kerans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bill_kerans

I get mine from a couple blogs run by people who'll actually read and view MSM. I stopped reading the news regularly a few years ago and found it did wonders for my outlook on the world. I still think I'm quite well informed but not necessarily about what is dominating the headlines.

An example is I know nothing about that recent plane crash but what was going on last week in Nevada was actually news in my opinion.

Edit: 34 and male.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With my eyeballs and ears.
Kidding aside, I don't seek news out, catch it on TV sometimes or online, but no specific site.
So many better things to do in life than read the newspaper.
Oh yea, and Bill Maher.
Would rather hear the news from a comedian, at least they say what they think/want.
M/34 - lol haven't typed that in like 20 years.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Nodima

Message boards mainly (and not news oriented ones - okayplayer, here mainly).

(I only check into Twitter one-three days out of a week so I can't really count it but I'm sure I've learned something happened while it was open sometime.)

Local news websites (primarily KETV which is weird because it isn't a very good website and I watch WOWT).

Daily Show/Colbert/Real Time/Tony Kornheiser Podcast.

Grantland.

edit: 25, male.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EpicSteve

@franstone said:

Kidding aside, I don't seek news out, catch it on TV sometimes or online, but no specific site.

Oh yea, and Bill Maher.

Would rather hear the news from a comedian, at least they say what they think/want.

Bill Maher is actually a pretty good source. Weird, enough. I check into a lot of things he says on his show I find interesting, I have yet to find anything he stretched for comedy or showed a left biassed towards. Yes, he's a liberal. But I don't believe he's an activist or puts his team/ideology first. With that said, he's very open about contributing $1 million to Obama's campaign. His commentary is usually fair and informed.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By monetarydread

I read the national post on Sunday with a cup of coffee and breakfast. Every other day of the week, I just use the internet. r/WorldNews on Reddit and links from Facebook, Twitter, or Digg.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't seek out the news, but I do like to stay informed which mostly happens through osmosis. I pick stuff up from reddit, Twitter, forums, glancing at newspapers, watching TV news for like 5 minutes at a time. Also, we have topical comedy panel shows in the UK which cover the news but are mainly for entertainment.

21, Male

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nitrocore

In through the eyes, out through the mouth.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexW00d

Twitter/Guardian app for the breaking news, RSS and physical newspaper for the rest. Am I informed? Compared to the usual person I guess so yeah, but I do skim a lot of what I read.

Male - 23

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By monetarydread

I read the national post on Sunday with a cup of coffee and breakfast. Every other day of the week, I just use the internet. r/WorldNews on Reddit and links from Facebook, Twitter, or Digg.

@epicsteve said:

@franstone said:

Oh yea, and Bill Maher.

Bill Maher is actually a pretty good source. Weird, enough. I check into a lot of things he says on his show I find interesting, I have yet to find anything he stretched for comedy or showed a left biassed towards. His commentary is usually fair and informed.

I am not even American and I enjoy listening to his show. HBO is not available in my part of the Canada (Too many tall mountains and wilderness in the way of getting a satellite signal), but he has his show available as an audio podcast. I love the fact that he is good about getting multiple perspectives to talk about a subject, and even lets the crazies say their piece sometimes.

I am also a fan of listening to the podcast "Common Sense," with Dan Carlin. That man is pretty good at breaking down a subject in the news and explaining why it does, or does not, actually matter. I also enjoy the fact that he is aware that a good portion of his audience is not American, or even listening to the podcast in a timely matter.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#12 chaser324  Moderator

I check Google News and the USA Today iOS app periodically throughout the day.

I'm completely out of the loop on local news. I used to watch my local NBC affiliate in the morning, but I got sick of their obsession with the Casey Anthony trial when that was going on and stopped watching.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rectally.

Er, I mean... I just let the news come to me via my usual internet rounds. No real "regular" sources. I can't stand 24 hour news cycles or local news, and I don't really do newspapers except occasionally. I get enough from multiple sources to consider myself fairly informed, and when I'm unsure I research.

Male, 27.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epicsteve said:

@franstone said:

Oh yea, and Bill Maher.

Bill Maher is actually a pretty good source. Weird, enough. I check into a lot of things he says on his show I find interesting, I have yet to find anything he stretched for comedy or showed a left biassed towards. His commentary is usually fair and informed.

I am not even American and I enjoy listening to his show. HBO is not available in my part of the Canada (Too many tall mountains and wilderness in the way of getting a satellite signal), but he has his show available as an audio podcast. I love the fact that he is good about getting multiple perspectives to talk about a subject, and even lets the crazies say their piece sometimes.

I am also a fan of listening to the podcast "Common Sense," with Dan Carlin. That man is pretty good at breaking down a subject in the news and explaining why it does, or does not, actually matter. I also enjoy the fact that he is aware that a good portion of his audience is not American, or even listening to the podcast in a timely matter.

Where is his show available as audio?

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I try not to consume any news tbh, but when I do happen across some it's on the internet.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Monkeyman04

internet (local news stations), TV (does The Daily Show count), and on a rare occasion I read the newspaper ( that my parents buy) and Forums. I feel that I'm decently informed. 26, male.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By JasonR86

I use the BBC app on my phone. Also twitter for informing me on big events though I don't consider twitter a good source for learning facts. 27 male.

JosephOHagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By JosephOHagan

I usually stick on the news on the TV while I'm eating breakfast / lunch / dinner.

Male, 18.

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By fobwashed

Twitter and word of mouth from people I talk to for the most part. When something big does come up, I tend to follow up by hitting sites like CNN or googling. Ever since I moved to Seattle, I do use the King 5 app to stay up to date with local things. I'm 32 or 33 male.

If there's an event going on that I know about and am interested in, I'll follow up regularly on various websites via google.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By monetarydread

Where is his show available as audio?

The podcast section on iTunes. It usually shows up on the Tuesday afternoon.

No Caption Provided

On a side note... I think its kinda ironic how "This American Life," is the top podcast in Canada.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#21  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I read the websites for three Swedish newspapers a couple of times a day, usually when I wake up and then when I get home from work. I listen to Swedish radio news as well as Deutsche Welle's Radio News podcast/RSS feed on my way to work, a few times a week I visit BBC, CNN, Euronews and Voice of Russia to get some other angles on the news too, and sometimes check up on Euronews, AP and TT's (pretty much the Swedish equivalent of AP) Youtube channels and twitter feeds.

I very rarely watch anything on TV.

Male, 28.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I check Google News a few times a day and most of the people I hang around with tend to be pretty hardcore news/politics junkies so word gets around pretty quick in the circles I run in. That being said... I get my news through various different sources online, and then verify them through other independent sources. It seems that most news outlets out there have either a left-wing (pretty much every news outlet) or right-wing (Fox, Breitbart, Daily Caller) twist to it so I tend to look at both sides and try to "read between the lines" so to speak before forming an opinion. These days it's as much about pushing an agenda as it is reporting actual news so it's hard to take anything seriously as credible information. I try to stay away form the network news as much as possible because they seem to be the worst at that sort of thing. And thats not even getting into the whole sensationalism thing either.

In general, the news sucks.Be very careful about the information you consume and the sources you are getting it from.

Male, 23, USA.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#23  Edited By Yummylee

24, male.

I primarily use the facebook feed after 'liking' just about every page ever that involves whatever topics I'm interested in.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What kind of project?

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mostly ignore the news, since actively reading it tends to just make me feel quite depressed. I absorb bits and pieces through osmosis on facebook and that's good enough for me.
I feel fairly justified in ignoring current affairs since current affairs tend to be amount to "Rich white men shit on everything." A modicum of ignorance is bliss, in this instance.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I dislike the business of news. I don't watch TV. I don't listen to radio. I don't read the CBC website. They've had cutbacks in funding time and time again under the current government and as a result they've become more dependent on advertising. It's lead to more click baity, listicle and sensationalist news which is a disgrace.

I read the Guardian website. I read Vox.com (Polygon's parent company's new news site). I pick up on major things from twitter. I have The Montreal Gazette app on my phone. None of these are local to me here in Newfoundland, but I don't think anything of importance happens here so I don't care about local news.

Male, 25.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZolRoyce

25/Male.

I sub to a few news sources on YouTube. Primarily AP and VICE. For AO I like how they mostly run raw footage of an event instead of giving a biased report on it. And Vice just does really great reports on things I've never even heard of.

I watch Colbert/ Stewart/ Maher.

A few podcasts/radio shows here and there, Opie and Anthony for instance.

And from forums, if something major or even not that major but still going around in the news is occurring, someone on, oh, I don't know, Giantbomb for instance will usually make a topic about it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@epicsteve:

basically just the internet , although I do listen to a couple radio channels while commuting.

• RSS feedly feeds for science and business news/blogs
  • NPR and various national media sites for national/international news
  • local newspapers' website and local internet message boards for local news
  • Local Sports radio, espn, sportsnation, various team blogs for sports news.
  • giant bomb, joystiq, neogaf, twitter etc for gaming news
  • I'll use those as a starting source, I'll usually just scan the headlines on most,then if there is a story that catches my interest, I'll go seek out other sites I check less often to get alternate viewpoints.

don't really watch TV ever.

what's with all the questions? maybe you should just make a survey duder.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

28. Male.

I hear a lot of things from social media, which makes me investigate further if it's something that I care about. I try to go to foreign news outlets for world news. It's hard to get any news here in the US without some sort of political spin in either direction. I just want " This happened. Here are full quotes of what the people involved said about it." Don't tell me what it could mean, don't have a panel of "experts" with their own agenda picking it apart. Just give me the facts. That's increasingly difficult to find these days. I read the same story of a number of websites and see where they meet. I'm a very scientific person. All I want from a news article is a list of facts and a list or sources. I'll do the rest.

I go to Phys.org for science news. BBC News for world news. 8 News Now (CBS) for local news in my city. I check other websites, but I generally hit those three first if I'm looking for something, then I'll dig deeper if I need to.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Christoffer

I'm visiting three politically different news sites about every hour (I'm a news nerd). And then I visit some sites about economics news... sometimes

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

In small bites at a time on the internet, such as video clips, news articles and opinion pieces. I also absorb a lot of information through the osmosis of social media.

Male - 19

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Hunter5024

I get my news incidentally online. Through Facebook, and Giantbomb and stuff. A lot of my friends on facebook post news stuff pretty regularly though, so I do usually hear about stuff, though admittedly it's through the lens of whatever crazy conspiracy theory, hyper christian conservative, or ultra hippie liberal websites they go to (there is no middle ground). 22 Male.

Tirion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tirion

First of all i get all of my news through the internet, but i include things as Real Time, Vice and some podcasts in that. I try to read some of the domestic sites here in Sweden but a lot of it is just simply awful. Even stories that by themselves should be interesting are so extremely focused on clicks. Aftonbladet, the largest newspaper and also the biggest deliverer of news online here (I think) just yesterday had a story they titled "THE SUPER ELECTION 2014" it's not enough that it's the fucking election it has to be the "SUPER ELECTION". If Putin decides to completely invade Ukraine i can guarantee the title will be "Watch Putin make the thing "NO ONE" expected". I would probably say that BBC and New York Times are my biggest source for immediate news. With the more local news I really struggling to find places that actually report on the news and give some insight beyond just trying to figure out how there business model online should be.

I'm male and 25 years old.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

34, M.

A lot less than I used to. Nowadays mostly through the BBC News app for the international stuff, one site (nu.nl) for the national stuff. Browse Twitter and Facebook to see what worries people and to catch up on Breaking News. For more in-depth news coverage / background information I read the BBC site and some other sites (the Guardian, PolicyMic, VICE, etc). When I get a chance, I'll read through the day's newspaper at a friend's place or the free rag they have on public transit.

Time for the why:

I hate to say it, but the reporting on the sites are generally more in line with my own views (left, left-of-center). As I've gotten older, I've become a lot more tolerant of opposing views when I come across is (there are exceptions), but less likely to actively seek them out. Also, I've gotten really tired of the 24 hour news cycle: chasing the latest rumours and hearsay, serving it as BREAKING NEWS, you get the gist.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typically through osmosis from people who pay more attention to the news than I do.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I occasionally stick BBC news on the TV, but not super regularly. More often I'll see it via the BBC news website or android app. Anything else I see is generally something pointed out by Twitter or Reddit or even on the Giant Bomb forums. I might pick up a newspaper if I'm in the pub and there is one on the bar, but I'd never buy a newspaper.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm 24 and Male.

MaxOpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

Lately I have been listening to a lot of radio, talk radio. I'm home and alone most of the day, and I have gotten a habit of just turning on the radio in the morning, and letting it run. Every hour they have short news updates, and of course most of the shows are about the news.

Male 21.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By TobbRobb

Word of mouth. Friends or messageboards generally.

Yes, I realise this is a terrible way to keep track of the world. Leave me alone.

Male, 21.

LandonRobinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really, really enjoying reading Vox.com. It's my favorite among the Vox network, that being The Verge, SB Nation, and most relevant to the conversation among them, Polygon.

Vox does an impressive job distilling the facts on a topic without including bias or opinion. Really all I wanted from a news network.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twitter.com

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By TheHT

I just leave CNN on TV all day. Unfortunately I don't get BBC News anymore. If I want to know more about a story I'll check it out on the internet.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My primary source is the BBC Android app, with my local NPR member station as a secondary source. I find the BBC to be nearly always globally-focused and nonpartisan, and NPR covers many more intimate stories, though I often have to mentally remove hypothesis and opinion in their presentation (their jazz more than makes up for the effort).

24, male.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The google news aggregate without any preferences set, NPR on my drive to work, and PBS's News Hour are the three sources I visit regularly. I'll dig deeper into other sources if a particular topic especially interests me.

26, male.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reddit (/r/news, /r/worldnews) for major news I should know about, which usually leads to The Guardian or BBC or Al Jazeera if it's anything worth seeing. That's probably it, besides things that crop up from just talking to people online and offline or whatever, but those things are usually minor events or clarifications on smaller details of events I already know about. I will say that a lot of really horrible, biased, factually-inaccurate, and/or misleading content comes up in those subreddits, but it's easy for me to spot, and the subs are still a good way to get any significant breaking news.

I also browse Giant Bomb dot com, /r/gamernews, and /r/games for any gaming news. If any worthwhile news breaks on any other site the magic of aggregators will pick it up for me.

24. Male. Earth.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cbk486

@epicsteve: 20-Male I pretty much just listen to the BBC world news podcast .

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I use flipboard on my Ipad and phone to keep up with news. So I guess an RSS news aggregator?

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in the good 'ol US of A, so with a side of bacon.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

21, Male.

• I watch KCAL 9 news (supporting that CBS) about twice a week for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour because there is nothing else on TV and it fits in between work and school.
  • I also watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. They are entertaining to watch and they usually take a deeper look at the bigger stories.
  • I will watch the news on Univison at night sporadically. They tend to cover different news then the english stations.
  • On the internet I have Yahoo! set as my homepage and will usually cycle through the news there and click on anything that seems interesting. It is just a habit I have that whenever I open the internet I look through the stories. The commenters on yahoo articles are the worst though.
  • The Off-Topic section of NeoGAF also usually covers some other events. I am there for the goofy threads but occasionally there are news threads that cover stuff I hadn't heard before.
  • On the radio I listen to El Show de Don Cheto in the mornings and they also cover a few news items everyday.

I feel that I am fairly well informed about what is going on. If something big has happened then I will usually know what generally happened but I rarely actually dig into any news stories to search for more information then what is given.

Wired_Abyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Male, 24

The closest thing I get to news is a podcast of a weekly radio show. Other than that I completely avoid all regular news.