How do you study for exams when there's not much time left?

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sjhujh

So, usually I'm a lot more organised and get my revision done early, but this time I haven't... I have two exams one this Saturday 22nd May and one on the1st of June.... 

So I was wondering what techniques do people use when they have to cram for an exam? 

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Try spending as much free time as possible on the internet discussing things in forums instead of studying.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AgentofChaos
@MrKlorox said:
" Try spending as much free time as possible on the internet discussing things in forums instead of studying. "
This. Epic post btw.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zeforgotten

It's been so long I might not be able to remember... 

I think I did it the exact same way as I would have done it if I had a long time to do it. 
Only faster..

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kazzurak
@MrKlorox said:

" Try spending as much free time as possible on the internet discussing things in forums instead of studying. "

Exactly this... 

Seriusly wtf ? start reading instead of being on GB (yeah i know its a tough one)
sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sjhujh

In my defence I've been up since 7 revising so a little 15 minute break isn't too bad.... 

Just curious how other people do it, anyway back to it....

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

Same thing I do when there is heaps of time read text books, go over old notes and assessments and take new notes as I go. I find putting things into writing helps me recall.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shirogane

Is there any other way? I wasn't aware it was possible to study except for the day before exams, or the morning before, it's the only way i ever studied. I always did fine! Except that English exam...but you can't study for essay writing.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten
@Shirogane said:
" Is there any other way? I wasn't aware it was possible to study except for the day before exams, or the morning before, it's the only way i ever studied. I always did fine! Except that English exam...but you can't study for essay writing. "
You're in luck my friend. 
You can also study while walking to class :o 
Or if you're on a bus on your way to the exams..  

The more you know! :D
swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By swamplord666

Dude just start reading! It's funny that you're worried about exams 2 weeks away when some people I know will just cram the night before!

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shirogane
@swamplord666 said:
"Dude just start reading! It's funny that you're worried about exams 2 weeks away when some people I know will just cram the night before! "

Wow, just realised when his exams are. Forget study! Go play some games! 

@ZeForgotten said:
" @Shirogane said:
" Is there any other way? I wasn't aware it was possible to study except for the day before exams, or the morning before, it's the only way i ever studied. I always did fine! Except that English exam...but you can't study for essay writing. "
You're in luck my friend. You can also study while walking to class :o Or if you're on a bus on your way to the exams..   The more you know! :D "

Or while you're waiting outside the exam room? 

Funny thing is, you probably take in more information this way.
ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShadowofIntent

I usually wait til the morning of.  Studying as early as you are is completely beyond my comprehension.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zeforgotten
@Shirogane said:
@ZeForgotten said:
" @Shirogane said:
You're in luck my friend. You can also study while walking to class :o Or if you're on a bus on your way to the exams..   The more you know! :D "
Or while you're waiting outside the exam room?  Funny thing is, you probably take in more information this way. "
You know, I think you might be right actually.  
You're without a doubt more focused and willing to suck in information when your "life" depends on it :P
Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Organicalistic_
@Kush4:
No Caption Provided

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sjhujh
@Shirogane:  Ha, well I planned on starting on Saturday...   

Then steam put tropico 3 on sale and I've been playing that constantly since...    

Also the exam is for 'Post transcriptional control of gene expression' the dude who teaches the module is a bit of a prodigy and seems to think everyone doing his course should also be. 
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By Geno

Read chapter summaries, look at important equations, memorize bolded terms. Do 1 question and learn it well rather than doing 10 questions as fast as possible without getting an impression.  

Postranscriptional control of gene expression is mostly memorization, so I would take a good look at important diagrams as well. Also, general tip for nuclear biology related questions - if you aren't sure of the answer then guess something protein related. 

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GunnBjorn

All-nighters and lots of energy drinks for you, boy!
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Personally speaking, I work better in early mornings. So I try to wake up pretty early, say around 6am and then study the whole day, taking half hour to an hour breaks every few hours.
elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By elbon

Get Help studying!!!!

Having  trouble understanding a fuzzy logic question that will be coming up on my exam tomorrow 
here the question
Average people (0/165, 1/175, 0.5/180, .25/182.5, 0/185, 0/190)  
Tall people (0/165, 0/175, 0/180, .25/182.5 , .5/185, 1/190)

Q: Use the graph to illustrate the use of the fuzzy operator "Union" to determine the degree of fulfilment for a height of 181, as an instance of a height that is "Average or Tall"

If anyone know how to slove this it would be a great help. 

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Elazul

The only piece of advice I have is that no matter how many all-nighters you pull leading up to the exams, make sure you get enough sleep the night before. If you're too tired to think during the exam then all of that revision would've been a complete waste of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I leave everything to the last minute so i tend to revise for 10 hours a day, 5-10 days before the exam, works well enough. Though this is not usually revision but learning the whole syllabus.

sjhujh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sjhujh
@dudeglove:  Sussex it would seem... most of the third year module exams seems to be on Saturdays from what people have said....
JasonDaPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By JasonDaPsycho

If you have worked on enough practice papers / past papers, then not studying much before the test won't be that much of a problem (that happens to be true for me, at least it felt good when I was working on the real deal, and I only studied like 4 hours the day before the test).
However, if that's not the case, then don't study those subjects. Focus on those which you think are not hopeless causes. It won't help much starting to study only the day before the exam.

It also depends on what kind of exams are you talking about. I just finished a once-in-a-fucking-lifetime public exam which covers 3 years of learning as its syllabus. If what you're taking doesn't cover that much, then study a little the day before and see what happens next. Otherwise, go for what I suggested earlier in the post.

Also, if possible find a pattern of how they come up with exam papers. Take my biology paper for the public exam as example. Last year we had a whole section of locomotion in the long questions paper while eye structures are only briefly stinted in the multiple choices paper. So I paid more focus on eye structures, and it turned out I was right. 
 But school teachers are so unpredictable so...

Anyways, good luck with whatever test / exam you're taking.

And Elazul is right, you need to have a good sleep the night before the test. Waking up at 3 am to study is a bad idea. It only eases off guilt, but doesn't do any good. I did that, and it didn't really affect me because I have always been a light sleeper before tests, and by the time I take the test, my brain is working fine. BUT STILL THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED.

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FirePrince
@MrKlorox said:
"Try spending as much free time as possible on the internet discussing things in forums instead of studying. "

You beat me to it.
Jeffery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jeffery

.....cheat. 

Had to say it.