HTML Is so fucking confusing

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By turbomonkey138

I'm trying to make a web site for my TF2 clan and we got the domain name etc but there is no builder . You have to type everything in yourself in HTML script . OMFG its sooo confusing . Is there anyone out there that can simplify HTML or can recommend any good tutorials ?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I used google and I found this site.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Agnogenic said:
" I used google and I found this site. "
Nice avatar pic, that game was awesome.

Anyways, HTML Dog is another good site for beginners. I suck at HTML too. Good luck trying to figure everything out.
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I taught myself by the guess&check method.  It's not really that hard if you put some time into it.  but if you want some help that bad, Frontpage is a good program to help you, so is Dreamweaver.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#5  Edited By vager

Most of that is javascript I believe. HTML isn't that complicated.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By torus

Use a WYSIWYG like dreamweaver, then clean up the code. It's a good way to familiarize yourself with HTML/CSS.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By turbomonkey138

I have a copy of dream weaver . But i hear you can just do it in notepad

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

Download Notepad ++, also using the Tab and Enter key's when using HTML will make things much easier when programming. HTML is very easy, I forgot a bit of it from my class, but I still have everything we did in class to refresh my memory when needed.

t2t2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By t2t2

Here's the simplest way to do it (with which you're probably best off with):

1. Choose a CMS (Content Management System). Most blog platforms also count (eg. Wordpress). You can test them out at OpenSourceCMS, find the one which admin panel you like most since you're going to spend most of the time there. (Recommendations: Joomla, Wordpress)
  2. Download a copy of software to your computer, then upload extracted files using a ftp client. Alternatively if your host has cPanel, in most versions you can just upload zip and have it extracted server side.
  3. Follow the installation. You can access it by going to [your site url here]. Some terms:
    Mysql = Database. You most probably need to make a mysql user for CMS. In cPanel go to "MySQL databases" under databases, create a database, create a user, link the user to account (something newcomers forget to do sometimes).
  4. Finish post-install task, usually deleting install directory.
  5. Find a theme you like from the software's homepage. If you can't find it, google for them, there usually are few.
  6. Install the theme, depending on software it can vary from importing a file in control panel to uploading the folder.
Oh, and most of the code in your screenshot is JavaScript, which you really don't need to know atm.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By tekmojo

Yea use wordpress or blogger for beginning your HTML journey. Tools like these were not available in the past. And for noobs like me, coding did not come 2nd nature. You can download templates to help seperate your site from other noobs out there too. Everything is customized, edit the HTML how you want, upload your own templates, import add-ons such as picture galleries, stat trackers, Google AdSense (Make money from traffic), and more. While I search for a reasonable domain and hosting service, I can build up content and my own personal blogs about gaming and stuff. When I do find what I am looking for, I can just rip the entire (or most) of the code from Blogger, and then apply it to a more premium service.

You can check out my blog hosted on Blogger if you click my mini-bio. Easy to set up, very user-friendly for noobs like me. Only downsides I have found so far, is that Blogger forces a lot of junky stuff on you, you have to disable some stuff, but there is only one html template file that you need to edit for all of the pages. What also sucks is that you have to create posts to create unique pages from a navigational sense, and leave them archived until you edit the content of that page. There are plenty of tutorials out there for Wordpress and Blogger, as well as a ton of powerful tools at you disposal.

If you have a nice domain, bandwidth, and hosting priveledges, I suggest goin with Wordpress, it is an extremely dynamic and customizable open source platform to use. Some restrictions, but it does a lot of the brute force stuff for you.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Player1

Not to be mean, but as a fellow starting web designer I know this much. If you try to write a site, yourself, in HTML its going to look like shit straight outta the 90's. 

If you want something to look semi-decent, your going to need a program like frontpage, or dreamweaver. I would recommend getting dreamweaver and either buying a book to teach you (thats what I did, its slow and meticulous, but it sure works, or watch some of the tutorial DVD's. 

Since you have the domain though, I would STRONGLY recommend using wordpress.org. First off, your domain stays the same, there is no wordpress in it, or blogspot or whatever. Secondly you can pick a template that fits your needs. Thirdly, and most importantly, its absolutely free, and so are most templates. Foruth, adding stuff is as easy as adding stuff to a blog.

I made my site on wordpress.org. Like I said. I would totally recommend it. Its a little tricky getting your domain to work with your web hoster and all, but I can walk you through that if you need me to. The STP can especially get tricky, but once you do it one time, its easy as pie. 

Message me if you need any help. You do have a web hoster right? 
some1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By some1

Every time I see untabed code a little part of me dies :(

On a more construtive note just go with Deamweaver.

Simple to use and lots of guides on the net

Amilmitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Amilmitt

use w3schools.com very high quality site. dreamweavers nice but you could also get edit pad lite for free.
html isn't that hard, everything else is.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_A_Drain

HTML? Damn if you think that's confusing try Java, C, C# or C++. Heck, even python or PHP.

Also, dude, if your making a website why aren't you using PHP? It's a bilion times more flexible than HTML, and if your a beginner you can just load up wordpress and make a custom theme, works just as well and theres tons of tutorials.

Also, TAB YOUR CODE.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By PerryVandell

Well, you can always not fucking write websites in html. You can torrent an app like dreamweaver or something and make a website rather than inputting actual html code.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

i would suggest u download a 30 day trial of Adobe dreamweaver. that program helps a lot of things when using it. it does all of the coding for you, you just have to put in the stuff u want.

to get started i suggest you make a folder called the site, then have two folders in that, pages and images, keep the home (index) anywhere. this helps u organize your web page with folders.

for school when i took web design i used photoshop. once i made the website as an image i  then sliced it all up and saved it as HTML and CSS. CSS is just a style page for the site.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

HTML isn't that hard if you use spaces.... Space don't transfer into the page so you can use as many as you want

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

When I was into web development I did one of two things, intalled a content management system like PHP-nuke, or used a free HTML editor. I used to use one called Nvu. It was free and open source, so I'd guess its still around in one form or another.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mexicanhatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mexicanhatboy
@DarkGamerOO7 said:
" Download Notepad ++, also using the Tab and Enter key's when using HTML will make things much easier when programming. HTML is very easy, I forgot a bit of it from my class, but I still have everything we did in class to refresh my memory when needed.  "

What he said. There's no point giving up and using a copy of Dreamweaver to magic a site into existence when you can achieve so much more with a good understanding of XHTML and CSS. Follow w3schools, think everything through logically. Draw out how you want your layout on some paper and keep working at it until you've got that on your screen. Start with the big elements and work down to the smaller ones. As a beginner you should avoid javascript, and look for ways to achieve any fancy effects you want with CSS. Sure it'll be harder than using Dreamweaver for a while, but the end result will be much more worth it, and you'll have a new skill. I've been using HTML and CSS since I was 13 and now I get paid upwards of £200 for making designs for people, so it's definitely a worthwhile thing to know how to do. PM me if you want any help at all.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Godwind

I would suggest using XHTML.  It requires a little bit more work and it is more tedious to detail but lays the groundwork for really organized code and makes editing much easier.  While everyone is suggesting to use things such as Dreamweaver, I am against it.  By hard coding it, you have more control over your content than you do with.  Also, upgrading your website will be limited to the tools Dreamweaver provides.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Commando
I think HTML is pretty intuitive. I know HTML pretty well, but I just started looking at Python.
After the Whiskey Media guy came and asked for people who know Python, I decided to take a look at it because I had never heard of it. It's so easy. I think if I wanted, I could learn it in a week. Instead of wasting your time on old-fashioned HTML, you should learn Python or PHP.
I know PHP pretty well. It's a lot faster than HTML. FaceBook was made with PHP, and I made My Website mostly with PHP

If you need any help, just let me know and I'll be happy to help you out. I've made my uncle's website with HTML, and I made mine with PHP. You can also integrate PHP into HTML and vice-versa.
Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

Yeah,i cant understand html either.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By mikemcn

There is squarespace, i know nothing about it but i keep seeing ads for it so someone must like it.