• 178 results
Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 21

Does anyone else think our (Canadians) insistence on putting u's in words like "favour" and "honour" is stupid. Maybe it is just one of those things we do to delude ourselves in to feeling unique? Us Canadians do a lot of things right. Getting rid of the penny? Right. Not having single dollar paper bills? Right. Not having our money just one color? Totally right. Having bagged milk? You bet that's right. But this whole putting U in things never sat well with me. Kudos to you America for cutting the U.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Seppli

@chocolaterhinovampire said:

Does anyone else think our (Canadians) insistence on putting u's in words like "favour" and "honour" is stupid. Maybe it is just one of those things we do to delude ourselves in to feeling unique? Us Canadians do a lot of things right. Getting rid of the penny? Right. Not having single dollar paper bills? Right. Not having our money just one color? Totally right. Having bagged milk? You bet that's right. But this whole putting U in things never sat well with me. Kudos to you America for cutting the U.

It's the British spelling. Spelling these words with the letter U is more common, and arguably more correct and less *special* than you seem to think - globally-speaking. Americans are the odd man out. Canadians are just more in line with the rest of the world.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a Canadian I think our lack of dollar bills is what's ruining us as a society.

But I also agree with this, putting in Us and shit just to look more loyal to the British is dumb. We broke off a long time ago, we need to realize that. This is North America, and you don't need any fancy pants Us to spell it!

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It just doesn't make sense to me...it is favOR not favOURite. Basically American got this right

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq: Really??? you want a paper dollar instead of a nice shiny looney?

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am also Canadian and I think we should add more U's to our wourds.

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Tylea002

What in the fuck is bagged milk?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

It just doesn't make sense to me...it is favOR not favOURite. Basically American got this right

Trying to put logic into language doesn't work, especially with U's (and GH's)

Through

Thought

Bough

Rough

Cough

Dough

Plough

The U stands. It's the Americans that are trying to dumb down the language. They are the console gamers of English

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By nintendoeats

Spelling words with u's is how I indicated that I am not American on the internet.

Evikull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Evikull

The American standardisation - or simplification - of the English language to match spellings with pronunciations. Or something like that. Perhaps a good idea, but taking letters out of words makes them smaller, and we all know that bigger words make you sound smarter. If anything we should be adding more letters.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'm American and I prefer the British spellings, but I almost never use them colloquially.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq: Really??? you want a paper dollar instead of a nice shiny looney?

Well our money is plastic now, not paper. But yes to both. A looney is a coin, and thus of no value to my brain, a bill makes it seem more valuable and I'd be more likely to save my change instead of spending it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

"Our" is a better phonetic representation of the sound in those words than "or" is. There is no hard "or" sound in those words. It's softer. It's closer to an "er" sound than an "or" sound. Let's just change the spelling to "flaver" and "faverite". No? That's dumb? OK then, let's just keep it as "flavour" and "favourite" then.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

@tylea002 said:

What in the fuck is bagged milk?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By joshwent

Trying to put logic into language doesn't work, especially with U's (and GH's)

Through

That's why when I go get some fast food I can ride down the Drive Thru.

Another problem solved thanks to American innovation.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

It's the British spelling. Spelling these words with the letter U is more common, and arguably more correct and less *special* than you seem to think - globally-speaking. Americans are the odd man out. Canadians are just more in line with the rest of the world.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldenglishc

Totally with you on the ridiculous extra u's, but the persecution of bagged milk has got to stop (that shit's fresh and delicious).

Pretty sure all the money I spent across the border in Windsor between the ages of 19-21 entitles me to some type of Canadian vote, so I'm down if there's some type of movement to fix your silly Euro-spelling.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

LOL whatttttt??? based on what? Your opinion? Canada is the best and the U is the greatest letter in the english, french, spanish, and german languages.

Juno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bagged milk is exactly what it sounds like. Instead of a carton or jug, you can buy bags of milk. Google Image Search should clarify.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By Milkman

Fuck bagged milk.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyftm said:

"Our" is a better phonetic representation of the sound in those words than "or" is. There is no hard "or" sound in those words. It's softer. It's closer to an "er" sound than an "or" sound. Let's just change the spelling to "flaver" and "faverite". No? That's dumb? OK then, let's just keep it as "flavour" and "favourite" then.

Yup. This man right here.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Jams

@mattyftm said:

We say our more in line with hour. and or is more like oar. so flavor doesn't sound out like flaver(depending on the area I guess), but our proper way is to say it like flavoar. Not flavouououououralluminium

JOG OFF! ... ?

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arab_prince: I thought it was already known that this is my opinion...hence why I said I think it is stupid

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: American milk tastes fucking weird and I don't know if it is a different processing procedure or what but it is weird as hell. Tastes off and it even looks off (shit be floating in it instead of that nice solid white Canadian milk)

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By abendlaender

As a non-canadian: That's I we learned it in school in europe, so I don't think it's weird at all.

Edit: I hope I don't offend some sort of canadian national treasure by saying this but: Bagged milk looks unpractical as hell.

chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq: I think the new bills look and feel like shit but it does make me think of the fuuture

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: American milk tastes fucking weird and I don't know if it is a different processing procedure or what but it is weird as hell. Tastes off and it even looks off (shit be floating in it instead of that nice solid white Canadian milk)

Where did you go that had stuff floating in your milk because I'm an American not too far from Canada (Live in South Dakota.) and I've never heard of such nonsense. If I saw milk with stuff floating in it I'd avoid that milk.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By MooseyMcMan

NO PENNIES = NO FREEDOM.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Vinny_Says

Don't be acting like Canada is one homogeonous place. Bagged milk doesn't exist in the good parts of Canada only the shitty ones.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm British and fuck this thread.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@milkman said:

Fuck bagged milk.

I'd argue with you, but if anyone can claim milk as their domain...

McTangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aluminium.

Your Honour, I rest my case.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mctangle said:

Aluminium.

Your Honour, I rest my case.

I love being British.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pay extra money for bagged milk.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq said:

As a Canadian I think our lack of dollar bills is what's ruining us as a society.

No way dude I love my Loonies and Toonies.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#39  Edited By Humanity

@razielcuts: I don't think there is anything more obnoxious than British people making snarky videos about how uncultured Americans are.

Also as fun as bagged milk looks I just don't see the point. It seems rather impractical in every way imaginable?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Cloudenvy

@humanity said:

@razielcuts: Also as fun as bagged milk looks I just don't see the point. It seems rather impractical in every way imaginable?

That's because it is the most impractical thing ever and I have no idea why it's still being done.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the fuck would you put milk in a bag?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@humanity said:

@razielcuts: Also as fun as bagged milk looks I just don't see the point. It seems rather impractical in every way imaginable?

That's because it is the most impractical thing ever and I have no idea why it's still being done.

Now that I think about it I suppose the one upside is that bags are cheaper than cartons. I have no clue how you guys fit those in the fridge. Don't they just slosh around? Do Canadian fridges have a special bagged milk compartment?

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wii U > Wii

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MikkaQ

@abendlaender said:

As a non-canadian: That's I we learned it in school in europe, so I don't think it's weird at all.

Edit: I hope I don't offend some sort of canadian national treasure by saying this but: Bagged milk looks unpractical as hell.

But it's so damn cheap. That's literally the only reason to buy it. It's for college kids (like me) and poor families who can't afford the practicality of a carton of milk. Milk cartons are almost 5 bucks or over 5 bucks in some case (for a 2L carton). It's like 3 and change for the bags and you get like 4 and a half liters. A jug or bottle is unheard of here for some reason.

@mikkaq: I think the new bills look and feel like shit but it does make me think of the fuuture

I have that similar split. I think they're futuristic as fuck and reminds me of video game money or something, but as someone who has to work a cashier, FUCK THOSE BILLS. They cling together and don't grip to the hand quite as well, making them a hassle to count. Also I'd align all my 20s by having the Queen's head facing a certain direction, but they swapped the direction which really screws me up when arrange the money.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By crusader8463

No. It's colour. Stop being so damn lazy.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethanml said:

I'm British and fuck this thread.

I'm Australian and I share your sentiment.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jeldh

I always thought not using U was the weird one. I'm probably pretty inconsistent with my spelling.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OldGuy

@msavo said:

@mikkaq said:

No way dude I love my Loonies and Toonies.

Huh, I thought they were refereed to as Doubloonies (at least some of the folks around Vancouver when I was last there used that appellation)... which is much more fun...

reverendhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 11

#49  Edited By reverendhunt

One of the few things we Americans (the United States flavor) did, was get rid of those vestigial "u"s. Now if only we'd done it with more words and letters.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MikkaQ

No. It's colour. Stop being so damn lazy.

Game Boy Color. Case closed.