• 178 results
rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

@liquidprince said:

As a Canadian, I would rather have a dollar bill, then have the loonie.

Yeah... Loonies get heavy and weigh down your wallet =/

MrT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By MrT

sore E aboot that, eh I'll get right on dropping the U

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's Zed. Pretty sure the credits in Men In Black will back me up on that one, and if we can't trust the makers of Men In Black who the fuck can we trust?

dooscent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By dooscent

@mctangle said:

Aluminium.

Your Honour, I rest my case.

I love being British.

"My Lord", and it was "Aluminum" first. But if we're speaking in absolute firsts, it was alumium.

But hey.

No one's judging here.

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why drop the U? Why not drop the O instead?

Flavur, honur, harbur etc. That's way better.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By Chibithor

@mariachimacabre said:

@chibithor said:

When it comes to spelling and pronunciation English is dumb everywhere, Finnish is where it's at. None* of this 'stuff being pronounced differently depending on the word' crap. The Us should be the least of your concerns about consistency

I agree the argument is stupid but to be fair, there are only like 6 of you in Finland (As a man with Finnish heritage, I'm related to 2 of them.) and hundreds of millions of English speakers. Again, not a slight against you Finns. I love all of the Northmen.

Still. No more wondering how to pronounce a word, ever. Doesn't that sound great?! The US is missing an official language anyway, right? Because I've got a good candidate right here. If Obama got behind that, I don't think anyone would complain.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@minipato said:

How does GH make an F in "rough" and is silent in "through?" JUST BECAUSE.

Common usage changes things. When -ough was a fresh-faced young sequence it got pronounced every time, but it's hard to maintain the hype for five hundred years. Also, it sounds fucking stupid. Unfortunately, bringing the spelling back in line with pronunciation gives us gems like "thru" and "tho" and that shit srsly f'ing sux, ffs lol omg u guys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Orthography has always been dumb.

ei8htbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ei8htbit

There's bigger things to worry about, like the fact that Alexa Ray Corriea of Polygon, an English Major and official reporter of news for that site, insists on pronouncing the word cache (in the context of website archives) as "cash-ay" in Friday's Speed Run segment. I thought it was just a stream of conscious mistake, however she took it one step further and used the term in the past tense as "cash-ay-ed" a word that actually does not even exist, like at all....ever. Now thousands of impressionable young duders who no longer make the effort to read articles but instead make the minimal effort to keep their eyes open while words are read to their ears in video format will assume that is the correct pronunciation and before you know it the word kashayed will appear in American dictionaries as the proper spelling (the original and proper spelling would probably just be cached (read: cash-ed) somewhere) and some annoying Canadian (like yours truly) will be all up in the threads making frivolous Internet grammar complaints while eating Lay's Ketchup chips, drinking Mott's Clamato Juice Caesars, and mourning the demise of the eternally useful and eco-friendly milk bag. We did give the world Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon so not all will have been in vain....

Orbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

@ethanml said:

I'm British and fuck this thread.

I'm Australian and I share your sentiment.

I'm Canadian and I agree with the both of you.

Shimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ei8htbit said:

There's bigger things to worry about, like the fact that Alexa Ray Corriea of Polygon, an English Major and official reporter of news for that site, insists on pronouncing the word cache (in the context of website archives) as "cash-ay" in Friday's Speed Run segment. I thought it was just a stream of conscious mistake, however she took it one step further and used the term in the past tense as "cash-ay-ed" a word that actually does not even exist, like at all....ever. Now thousands of impressionable young duders who no longer make the effort to read articles but instead make the minimal effort to keep their eyes open while words are read to their ears in video format will assume that is the correct pronunciation and before you know it the word kashayedwill appear in American dictionaries as the proper spelling (the original and proper spelling would probably just be cached (read: cash-ed) somewhere) and some other annoying Canadian (like yours truly) will be all up in the threads making frivolous Internet grammar complaints while eating Lay's Ketchup chips, drinking Mott's Clamato Juice Caesars, and mourning the demise of the eternally useful and eco-friendly milk bag. We did give the world Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon so not all will have been in vain....

If the way a women on Polygon chooses to pronounce a particular word (or non-word as the case may be) ends up changing the dictionary spelling of said word, I'd say we'd have much more important things to worry about than the supposed decay of the English language.

Like, OH GOD WHO IS THIS WOMAN AND HOW IS SHE DOING THIS.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By mellotronrules

embrace your british heritage. i'm american, and i wish we used the extraneous 'u.'

in short, canada is great.

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By hemmelight

Fuck American spellings. Nite?

It's Night.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@chocolaterhinovampire said:

Does anyone else think our (Canadians) insistence on putting u's in words like "favour" and "honour" is stupid. Maybe it is just one of those things we do to delude ourselves in to feeling unique? Us Canadians do a lot of things right. Getting rid of the penny? Right. Not having single dollar paper bills? Right. Not having our money just one color? Totally right. Having bagged milk? You bet that's right. But this whole putting U in things never sat well with me. Kudos to you America for cutting the U.

It's the British spelling. Spelling these words with the letter U is more common, and arguably more correct and less *special* than you seem to think - globally-speaking. Americans are the odd man out. Canadians are just more in line with the rest of the world.

Pretty much. Australians use the U as well - similarly, because we speak and write in English, not American.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By reisz

@bribo said:

You're on to something, let's take it one step further, one vowel to rule them all!

oh excuse me I mean;

Yuu'ru un tu sumuthung, lut's tuku ut unu stup furthur, unu vuwul tu rulu thum ull!

Yuuh bubu nuw yuur tulkung.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

embrace your british heritage. i'm american, and i wish we used the extraneous 'u.'

in short, canada is great.

Treason!

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercutio123 said:

@mctangle said:

Aluminium.

Your Honour, I rest my case.

I love being British.

"My Lord", and it was "Aluminum" first. But if we're speaking in absolute firsts, it was alumium.

But hey.

No one's judging here.

Well, to be fair, if the person who originally named a thing goes through iterations and ends up on a "final" name, I would argue that that is what we should use. The man settled on Aluminium in the end, and that is what matters - the weird countersurgence of "Aluminum" in the States seemed to be due to just societal preference.

I believe we're both referring to this article?

The metal was named by the English chemist Sir Humphry Davy (who, you may recall, “abominated gravy, and lived in the odium of having discovered sodium”), even though he was unable to isolate it: that took another two decades’ work by others. He derived the name from the mineral called alumina, which itself had only been named in English by the chemist Joseph Black in 1790. Black took it from the French, who had based it on alum, a white mineral that had been used since ancient times for dyeing and tanning, among other things. Chemically, this is potassium aluminium sulphate (a name which gives me two further opportunities to parade my British spellings of chemical names).

Sir Humphry made a bit of a mess of naming this new element, at first spelling italumium (this was in 1807) then changing it to aluminum, and finally settling onaluminium in 1812. His classically educated scientific colleagues preferred aluminiumright from the start, because it had more of a classical ring, and chimed harmoniously with many other elements whose names ended in –ium, like potassium, sodium, andmagnesium, all of which had been named by Davy.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#118  Edited By MariachiMacabre

It's Night.

Um...Americans spell it "Night". Where the hell did you hear otherwise? The only time I've seen it spelled Nite is on seedy motel signs that only spell it like that to save space and electricity. Like "drive-thru."

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just so everybody is clear, milk in the US is subsidized by the government. It is not, however, in Canada. So milk is more expensive in Canada. Which is why they try and cut costs in other areas, such as putting milk in cheaper bags, as opposed to cartons or plastic jugs.

All I'm trying to say is, fuck you Canadians for coming across the border and over-running my Costco and taking all my milk. Stop it. I love Canada, and the people in it, but you've turned my Costco into a shithole!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, Canada has milk in a bag but what about beer in a bag, eh?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@rebgav: Not chunks and it was not sour. Still good just weird....also I was probably 13

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By rollingzeppelin
rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By rebgav

@rebgav: Not chunks and it was not sour. Still good just weird....also I was probably 13

Oh, you mean that you were probably drunk. Got it.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@bribo said:

yeah and country can become cuntry! I like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Bagged milk is not a win for Canada at all. I live in Wisconsin so I know a thing or two about milk.

Eh?

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#126  Edited By inkerman

IT PUTS THE U'S IN THE WORDS OR ELSE IT GETS THE HOSE AGAIN!

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

It's just something we stuck with, there's no real reason to get rid of it.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm American and I exclusively use the "u" variants of words. So you're wrong.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By benpicko
@ethanml said:

I'm British and fuck this thread.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By deerokus

@mikkaq said:

@abendlaender said:

As a non-canadian: That's I we learned it in school in europe, so I don't think it's weird at all.

Edit: I hope I don't offend some sort of canadian national treasure by saying this but: Bagged milk looks unpractical as hell.

But it's so damn cheap. That's literally the only reason to buy it. It's for college kids (like me) and poor families who can't afford the practicality of a carton of milk. Milk cartons are almost 5 bucks or over 5 bucks in some case (for a 2L carton). It's like 3 and change for the bags and you get like 4 and a half liters. A jug or bottle is unheard of here for some reason.

@mikkaq: I think the new bills look and feel like shit but it does make me think of the fuuture

Why is Canadian milk so expensive? That's like twice as expensive as it is in the UK.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By EXTomar

I would like to defer to the English since, you know, English is named after the people the language came from.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deerokus said:

@mikkaq said:

@abendlaender said:

As a non-canadian: That's I we learned it in school in europe, so I don't think it's weird at all.

Edit: I hope I don't offend some sort of canadian national treasure by saying this but: Bagged milk looks unpractical as hell.

But it's so damn cheap. That's literally the only reason to buy it. It's for college kids (like me) and poor families who can't afford the practicality of a carton of milk. Milk cartons are almost 5 bucks or over 5 bucks in some case (for a 2L carton). It's like 3 and change for the bags and you get like 4 and a half liters. A jug or bottle is unheard of here for some reason.

@mikkaq: I think the new bills look and feel like shit but it does make me think of the fuuture

Why is Canadian milk so expensive? That's like twice as expensive as it is in the UK.

Everything but electronics is more expensive here in my experience

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#133  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Please never use "I am Canadian" in a sentence again, thanks.

- Every other Canadian.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, hey, while we're still on "This Is Canada," how do people in Canada give money to... ladies of impropriety? In America, it's customary to slip the bills beneath various elastic strings.

Do Canadian strippers wear coin dispensing belts?

No Caption Provided

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hemmelight said:

It's Night.

Um...Americans spell it "Night". Where the hell did you hear otherwise? The only time I've seen it spelled Nite is on seedy motel signs that only spell it like that to save space and electricity. Like "drive-thru."

Really?

I've always seen it spelled Nite in reference to the states. I thought it was just stupid, but now I see that not everyone spells it that way.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, hey, while we're still on "This Is Canada," how do people in Canada give money to... ladies of impropriety? In America, it's customary to slip the bills beneath various elastic strings.

No Caption Provided

If you give strippers $1 bills you are a cheap ass person and need to leave the club.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benpicko said:

@deerokus said:

@mikkaq said:

@abendlaender said:

Everything but electronics is more expensive here in my experience

Woah, that's crazy. Milk is $2 / 2L here in Australia and is usually sold in bottles. I don't think we have any cartons >1.2L either. I guess the Canadian dairy industry is smaller or you have some weird back end taxes on making cartons.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By audiosnow

@jay_ray: Are there other kinds of people in strip clubs?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, Canada has milk in a bag but what about beer in a bag, eh?

No Caption Provided

hey man- i'd drink a beer in a bag without breaking a sweat. ready for me to blow your mind? that cheap-ass box-wine we sometimes imbibe? IT'S ACTUALLY

No Caption Provided

BAAAAAG WIIIIIIIIINE! CUE THE

Loading Video...

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#141  Edited By hockeymask27

No and ZED is awesome.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#142  Edited By ThePickle

@extomar said:

I would like to defer to the English since, you know, English is named after the people the language came from.

You mean the Germanic peoples, right? Because that's where English came from.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i kind of like dialects and variations in spelling, pronunciation etc.

i don't think language ought to be a static thing.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mariachimacabre said:

@hemmelight said:

It's Night.

Really?

I've always seen it spelled Nite in reference to the states. I thought it was just stupid, but now I see that not everyone spells it that way.

No one spells it that way in the US. Again, only in shorthand or I guess text messages but everything is spelled wrong in text messages from teenagers.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#146  Edited By Brendan

I find the hate for bagged milk here weird, for all the hate people have about losing the penny for fear of paying more for things.

I'll let you in on a secret guys: With bagged milk you get more milk for less money. Doesn't seem like such a dumb decision to me, but what do I know I'm a rational human being.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By rebgav

@mlarrabee said:

I don't know what all of that is about but, in my experience, the performers at my local energy drink bars are not adorned with any sort of elasticated money-holding paraphernalia and attempting to slip anything anywhere is most assuredly discouraged. They tend to frown on that. I would hope that Canadian peelers are equally sacrosanct and... naked, though I'd imagine that a Canadian strip club is cold in every conceivable way.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By 49th

why don't you just sell meat in shoes

milk in bags pfft what is that

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phonetically speaking, I don't see how either variant of colour makes more sense than the other. Would it not have to be something like "culler" to be phonetic?

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm pretty sure the whole 'America dumbing down' is just their way of cutting ties with the brits, or it may have something to do with the french.

I think that's why yanks drive on the right side of the road? not sure.
Anyone the brits colonized drives on left, because in the oldy times horsemen were right handed, so riding on the left gave them a clear shot.
French.. Napoleon was left handed so went right side, anyone they colonized done that.

All of the above may be wrong.
in short.. the U is either America being different because brits, or the surrender monkeys, or neither