I finally downloaded Firefox.

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By TheDoorman

What are some useful add-on for Firefox since I've been basically using IE for awhile now.

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By TheDoorman

What are some useful add-on for Firefox since I've been basically using IE for awhile now.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

Adblock Plus is a must.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Hot_Karl
@TheDoorman said:
" What are some useful add-on for Firefox since I've been basically using IE for awhile now. "
That's great that you downloaded Firefox.  

Now use Firefox to download Google Chrome instead. Trust me, it's leagues better than Firefox.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

AdBlock Plus, NoScript, Linkification to start with.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By uniform

I use NoScript and Adblock Plus.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Black_Rose
@VinceNotVance said:
" @TheDoorman said:
" What are some useful add-on for Firefox since I've been basically using IE for awhile now. "
That's great that you downloaded Firefox.   Now use Firefox to download Google Chrome instead. Trust me, it's leagues better than Firefox. "
This.
commodore64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By commodore64

Stumbleupon for web surfing and Sage for RSS feeds.

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sh4ft3d
@VinceNotVance said:
" @TheDoorman said:
That's great that you downloaded Firefox.   Now use Firefox to download Google Chrome instead. Trust me, it's leagues better than Firefox. "
Opera is in turn, better than Chrome. However, as far as Firefox Addons go, see if there's a version of FasterFox available, as well as a download manager (like DownThemAll).
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green

everything that people said, persona it's a cool thing that puts a theme on the top of the browser. i'm using gaintbomb theme to go with the site.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By wefwefasdf
@VinceNotVance said:
" @TheDoorman said:
Can you give a brief explanation why? I have considered switching.
hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hai2u

meh, firefox > chrome for the addons

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hot_Karl
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @VinceNotVance said:
" @TheDoorman said:
Can you give a brief explanation why? I have considered switching. "
It runs faster, for one. The screen is less cluttered when you use it as well- the tabs & search bar take up maybe a inch of the entire screen. The extensions basically act like add-ons for Firefox, so you can find your adblock software & such on there as well. Oh and I've had Chrome for 5 months, and it's crashed on me maybe 3 times (and that's that I'm in the computer for 6+ hours on a daily basis). Firefox would crash once or twice a week, especially if I went on websites like the A.V. Club.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By EpicSteve

Man...I can't imagine using IE. SO FUCKING SLLLLOOOOWWWW!

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Bluethunder35

I use Firefox for some sites, Chrome for others.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Organicalistic_
@VinceNotVance said:
" @SpikeSpiegel said:
" @VinceNotVance said:
" @TheDoorman said:
It runs faster, for one. The screen is less cluttered when you use it as well- the tabs & search bar take up maybe a inch of the entire screen. The extensions basically act like add-ons for Firefox, so you can find your adblock software & such on there as well. Oh and I've had Chrome for 5 months, and it's crashed on me maybe 3 times (and that's that I'm in the computer for 6+ hours on a daily basis). Firefox would crash once or twice a week, especially if I went on websites like the A.V. Club. "
FF is faster for me, i have ran tests
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Pinworm45

You're late to the party bud, it's all about Chrome now.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MikkaQ

Chrome has no features though.. which is a problem.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By BigBoss1911
@Pinworm45 said:
" You're late to the party bud, it's all about Chrome now. "
Wrong.
radiocip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By radiocip
@uniform said:
" I use NoScript and Adblock Plus. "
these
SilentCommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SilentCommando

GoogleEnhancer is great, since it gives you thumbnails of sites you visit.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jinxman

Before you go any further...switch again to Google Chrome.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Organicalistic_
  1. @TheDoorman:  Click to enlarge- this is called foxtab, i love it and it is easy to use
    @TheDoorman:  Click to enlarge- this is called foxtab, i love it and it is easy to use

2.downloadthemall-boosts download speed, and allows you to manage dwnloads
       3.Video download helper- what it says works w/ youtube and many others, but i actually prefer  voobys.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Fire Fox sucks. Go Chrome!

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Relys
@TheDoorman: Really? I just switched to Chrome and it's much better.
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uniform

Of course. This thread reminds me of countless threads I've read regarding aspects of the PC, and naturally some random person has to pop in to "throw it out there" that the Mac is better. Nothing personal, but I hate when people try and convert others, especially when the thread isn't even about which browser is superior.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By august

Just switched to Chrome a day or so ago, much faster on my machine.

Avatar image for randominternetperson
RandomInternetPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@Pinworm45: ? FireFox has 22 % of the browser market while Chrome has only 6  %
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM
@VinceNotVance:
Ha ha, yeah. Orrrrr! Just erase Firefox and use Internet Explorer still :P.
CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CoverlessTech

Again, I have to chime in and let everyone be aware of the the tracking that is taking place if you use chrome. Google has a deal with the NSA and they track pretty much every move you make on the internet using chrome. You are basically allowing your government to wire tap you. Also google makes their money from ads, so the ad blocking will never be as good as FireFox. 

Don't use chrome. 

If you must use SRware Iron. 
http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

It's basically chrome with all the tracking BS taken out. You guys using chrome are such stooges.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Black_Rose said:
" @VinceNotVance said:
" @TheDoorman said:
This. "
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RetroIce4

Ad-block & NoScript.

JDoobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By JDoobs

Personally, I haven't tried Chrome. I might eventually. But Firefox works great and the add-ons are tops. When people are talking about "faster" web browsers they are talking about a couple of seconds AT MOST. I'll make a small list of the add-ons I have and also link you to a site that shows you how to tweak your settings to make Firefox much faster.

Add-ons:
No-script
Mostly for security, can kind of be a hassle but allows you to click on random links with impunity

Adblock Plus 
Name should make it fairly obvious, though I just switched to Windows from Mac and have noticed it doesn't do quite as good a job on Windows, still extremely worth it though.

WebMail Notifier 
Automatically checks all of your web based email clients for new mail and links you to them

Download Them All!
A fantastic download manager for Firefox. Gone is the lame annoying download window of firefox, here is the faster sleeker version. 

Fastest Fox
Better everything in terms of productivity. Preloads next pages, faster searches, definitions ... Just a nice tool in general.

Xmarks
This one is really based on personal preference. I like it because I can manage my bookmarks and passwords much easier between all the PCs I use.

Ubiquity
Their website describes Its purpose as "explore whether a radically different type of interface to the Web — a task-centric, natural-language-based command line — could help us get common Web tasks done faster."  Basically it's a command line interface for Firefox, is very quick and very intuitive. Definitely personal taste, but check it out anyway and see if you like it.

That's just a short list of some of the add ons I use.

About:config
I'm just going to link the site here instead of pulling the good stuff from it, that way I'm not responsible if someone dicks up their computer. This site discusses various tweaks you can make to the about:config page of firefox that actually makes quite a bit of difference in speed.

This site probably has more Firefox tweaking than you'll know what to do with, so I'll post the speed ones below.
 First, go to your address bar and type in About:config. Now read the warning! This is important. 
 Once your inside you can use the search bar in there to narrow down the field. These are the tweaks I recommend for speed.

Set network.http.max-connections to 96 – This sets the total number of HTTP connections Firefox can make to a web server. The default value is 30 (raised for the previous default of 24), but if you have ample bandwidth, increase the number speed up the loading of multiple-tab bookmarks.

Set network.http.max-connections-per-server to 32 – The default is 15, but you can raise it to increase the number of connections made to a single server. This is useful if you’re planning on browsing a site while downloading many files from it at the same time.

Set network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server to 8 – Raising this setting from 6 to 8 improve performance when working through multiple pages of a site. We don’t recommend setting this value to anything higher than 8.

Set network.http.pipelining to true – Pipelining is an application of the HTTP 1.1 protocol where multiple requests can be sent to a web server before any responses are received. Not all servers support it, but this will improve your browsing speed if you’re on a high-latency (slow) connection.

Set network.http.proxy.pipelining to true – Same as the setting above, but only applies if you’re using a proxy connection.

Set network.http.pipelining.ssl to true – If you’re encountering problems with pipelining enabled, the root of the problem may be a broken proxy server sitting between you and the target server. SSL (secure) sites don’t have this problem, so this setting will let you turn on pipelining for those sites only, regardless of the other pipelining settings.

Set network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to 8 – With pipelining enabled, this preference specifies the maximum number of requests to make to a server at once. Raising the default value from 4 to 8 will speed up your requests to a server, but will cause a small delay if one of the requests fail.

Also, if you want, create a new integer value and call it nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set the value to 0. This will tell Firefox to wait 0 seconds to load a page before displaying it on your screen. Makes it feel a hell of a lot faster.

As a side note, and this applies to everyone, not just firefox users, I recommend using openDNS instead of your ISP's DNS servers. Much faster. Tutorial here.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By armaan8014

Flashgot for easily downloading videos through your download manager.
Down them all is a good DM, btw.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DrPockets000
@VinceNotVance said:

" @SpikeSpiegel said:

" @VinceNotVance said:
" @TheDoorman said:
It runs faster, for one. The screen is less cluttered when you use it as well- the tabs & search bar take up maybe a inch of the entire screen. The extensions basically act like add-ons for Firefox, so you can find your adblock software & such on there as well. Oh and I've had Chrome for 5 months, and it's crashed on me maybe 3 times (and that's that I'm in the computer for 6+ hours on a daily basis). Firefox would crash once or twice a week, especially if I went on websites like the A.V. Club. "
I too can vouch for Chrome.  There was an efficiency test done for browsers (in terms of speed, accuracy of colors, richness of colors, etc) and Chrome was the clear winner.  There are a lot of excellent add-ons for it as well.  Ever since I got Firefox and it upgraded to version 3, I've had nothing  but problems. 

@XII_Sniper: Chrome has tons of features and add-ons.  
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35  Edited By hockeymask27
@Pinworm45 said:
" You're late to the party bud, it's all about Chrome now. "
roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By roofy
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Pinworm45
@RandomInternetPerson said:
" @Pinworm45: ? FireFox has 22 % of the browser market while Chrome has only 6  % "
You coulda said the same about firefox and IE At one point, what's your point? The quality of people using Chrome is more important than the quantity anyway. And if you want to go with quantity.. enjoy using IE, because it's the one that has it.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust

These are the ones I use:

1. Date Picker/Calendar
  2. Download Helper
  3. DownloadThemAll!
  4. FlashGot
  5. ForcastFox (weather)
  6. No Script
  7. Personas (I have a cool Futurama one)
  8. Save Image in Folder
  9. Thumbnail Expander
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Evilsbane
@TheDoorman:  First things first, don't listen to these fools about Chrome, its a fine choice but Firefox has so many mods that have been worked on for years, plus I think I am willing to sacrifice this precious "screen space" for usability, and seriously download chrome, and compare it, yea Chrome saves space but is that Half inch of space all that important? And ADBlocker Plus on Firefox is ungodly. Make your own choice but consider my vote for FF.
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By xMP44x

I would not recommend downloading Chrome. Firefox is a much better browser, and I'm speaking as someone who has used both browsers extensively. I used Chrome for about a year, and I've been using Firefox for about, what, maybe eight months? Chrome's UI looks good, but the fonts on it look terrible. And that makes sites look less pleasant, and an ugly looking site ruins the browsing experience, in my opinion. 

Chrome is a damned good browser, but Firefox is a superb browser. It's more customisable, and even if Chrome is faster, getting somewhere faster is not necessarily the most important thing. It's like turning up at a job interview: do you simply hammer it and plough through the entrance or do you make a decent impression? Granted it's not the best comparison, but it sort of gets at what I mean. Regardless, here are the addons I recommend:

Addons

• AdBlock Plus: This amazing addon blocks adverts on sites, and makes browsing much faster this way.
  • Fast Dial: This addon allows you to get the epic looking homepage that Chrome has, and Safari 4 also has something similar to.
  • GreaseMonkey: This allows you to get some little tweaks for webpages. Amongst other things it can add links to download YouTube videos, if you add a script for such a thing to it.
  • Stylish: This basically allows you to make webpages look different. An example of Stylish's abilities are being able to make Google black.
  • MR Tech Toolkit: This is far from essential, and is really more of a 'power user' addon. Regardless, the ability to make older things compatible is ideal if you wind up losing a theme you liked. It can do more than that, but who cares?

Themes

• Foxdie: This is a really, really detailed Safari / Mac OS X theme that is compatible with Unix based OSes, OS X, and Windows. It just looks really neat on any browser, and I can't recommend it enough. Admittedly it needs MR Tech Toolkit to make it work in the latest Firefox, but it's well worth it.
  • NASA Night Launch: There is a reason this theme is second only to Firefox's Default Strata theme. It looks stunning, and it works so nicely with a dark theme on your machine. Even without, it's easy on the eyes and is worth downloading.

Two themes I recommend, and some addons. Seems like a good start. But if you really want to make Firefox your own, I recommend finding addons you like too. And to do that, all you need to do is go to Mozilla's Addons page (http://www.addons.mozilla.org), and find stuff you like the look of. It's as simple as that, and if you want, you can review addons and help others as well, as we have helped you!
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By crusader8463

This is what I use.

No Caption Provided
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fbomb

No Caption Provided

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By damnboyadvance

I use Search Preview, FlagFox, and WOT (Web of Trust.) FlagFox is just something interesting. (For example, the Giant Bomb servers are located in Canada!) The rest are useful.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dany

No Caption Provided
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NathHaw

I'll get in on the argument.  Get Chrome.  It's better.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Firefox is a great way to get out of the "Internet Explorer Comfort Zone". It's a dependable browser that's got a bevy of features and runs pretty smoothly. I used Firefox for about three years before trying out Chrome and Opera. 

boboshoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By boboshoes

ad block and noscript and peronas and mcaffee site advisor

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AURON570

Personas, Adblock Plus, FoxClocks

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PillClinton

Adblock Plus and Downloadhelper

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Synthballs
@VinceNotVance said:
" @TheDoorman said:
If it wasn't for Websites still not fully compatible with most websites, I'd be using this. Firefox is now  a resource whore and a shadow of its former self.