• 56 results
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Edited By artofwar420

This happened, but only figuratively. My expectations for the Windows 7 beta were non-existent. After using Vista in a secondary laptop for about a year, I decided not to get my hopes high for this new OS, but the buzz in the internet says otherwise.

No Caption Provided

So I proceeded to install the beta, to my surprise the installation was quite painless, I only selected the partition and then it did its thing. The most obvious change in Windows 7 is the taskbar, it has been completely revamped, borrowing some concepts from OSX and making it work for a Windows environment. It allows you to "dock" icons and then monitor instances of those programs without the clutter, hovering over the icons shows you a preview of the windows and if you're using IE8 (I'm not, Firefox still works in W7) it also shows you the tabs (Mozilla will probably implement this in the future). Right clicking in these "docked" icons gives you more options than in XP or Vista, they are contextual, for example you right click the IE8 icon and it shows your history, or if you right click Windows Media Player it shows you past played items.

There are a lot of features I haven't even tried out, and that's just for the taskbar. One last thing that really impressed me (in my 3 hours of testing) was the "Device Manager", this window shows you all devices that are connected and allows you to control them in one place, it might not sound that exciting but I can see using it regularly.

So far I love the beta and I can totally see myself switching from XP to Windows 7 when the final version is released.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By artofwar420

This happened, but only figuratively. My expectations for the Windows 7 beta were non-existent. After using Vista in a secondary laptop for about a year, I decided not to get my hopes high for this new OS, but the buzz in the internet says otherwise.

No Caption Provided

So I proceeded to install the beta, to my surprise the installation was quite painless, I only selected the partition and then it did its thing. The most obvious change in Windows 7 is the taskbar, it has been completely revamped, borrowing some concepts from OSX and making it work for a Windows environment. It allows you to "dock" icons and then monitor instances of those programs without the clutter, hovering over the icons shows you a preview of the windows and if you're using IE8 (I'm not, Firefox still works in W7) it also shows you the tabs (Mozilla will probably implement this in the future). Right clicking in these "docked" icons gives you more options than in XP or Vista, they are contextual, for example you right click the IE8 icon and it shows your history, or if you right click Windows Media Player it shows you past played items.

There are a lot of features I haven't even tried out, and that's just for the taskbar. One last thing that really impressed me (in my 3 hours of testing) was the "Device Manager", this window shows you all devices that are connected and allows you to control them in one place, it might not sound that exciting but I can see using it regularly.

So far I love the beta and I can totally see myself switching from XP to Windows 7 when the final version is released.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

I'm really considering creating a temporary partition to try this out. It's pretty.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm going to have a tough time moving over to 7 simply because I'm going to have to move all my stuff over... Looks cool though, however I have no problems with my Vista.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By artofwar420

Try it out while the beta is still available, because when I was downloading it it said that "the final days of the beta availability are approaching". Word of caution, do create a partition, don't just install it, unless you have 2 hard drives, then it's a lot easier.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
artofwar420 said:
"Try it out while the beta is still available, because when I was downloading it it said that "the final days of the beta availability are approaching". Word of caution, do create a partition, don't just install it, unless you have 2 hard drives, then it's a lot easier."
I know. But when I move over completely, I don't want to partition.

CreamyGoodness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CreamyGoodness
LiquidPrince said:
"I'm going to have a tough time moving over to 7 simply because I'm going to have to move all my stuff over... Looks cool though, however I have no problems with my Vista."
no you can choose to "upgrade" this is in the beta and final version. its upgrades the OS and keeps everything else there. I do not recomend doing this in the beta however. because well. its a beta. shit happens.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Bullet_Jr

I'm running Ubuntu Linux and am quite satisfied with the OS. I think that over the years, I've given MS enough of my money.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TheGamerGeek

I've got Vista--and I still love it.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By teh_destroyer

My computer is about 4 years old,will it have a problem with running Windows 7?

Zebadee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zebadee

I'm loving windows 7 at the moment, it is definitely the os vista should have been!

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hexpane

So after all these years MS is really making a windows that isn't just some overpriced bug filled memory hog?  Just in time for the world's biggest economic meltdown!

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By artofwar420
Hexpane said:
"So after all these years MS is really making a windows that isn't just some overpriced bug filled memory hog?  Just in time for the world's biggest economic meltdown!"
Well... let's do this:

• Windows 3.1 ... Ding!
  • Windows 95 ... Good
  • Windows 98 ... YES!
  • Windows 2000 ... Why?!
  • Windows Me Edition ... NOOOO!
  • Windows XP ... YES!
  • Windows Vista ... Eh
  • WIndows 7 ... YES!

Is there a pattern?
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bullet_Jr
artofwar420 said:
"Hexpane said:
"So after all these years MS is really making a windows that isn't just some overpriced bug filled memory hog?  Just in time for the world's biggest economic meltdown!"
Well... let's do this:

• Windows 3.1 ... Ding!
  • Windows 95 ... Good
  • Windows 98 ... YES!
  • Windows 2000 ... Why?!
  • Windows XP ... YES!
  • Windows Vista ... Eh
  • WIndows 7 ... YES!

Is there a pattern?"
But what's the point? What new functionality will 7 have over Vista, or XP even.

More people still use XP than any other OS.
RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By RichardLOlson
I've got vista right now.....but I might switch over to W 7 on my laptop.
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Hmm, could this make me want to switch from Apple? No. 

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail

I tried the beta.

Duders, it is Vista but with lower system requirements and it goes a lot easier in your PC. So. It is worth it.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hexpane
Bullet_Jr said:
"artofwar420 said:
"Hexpane said:
Well... let's do this:

• Windows 3.1 ... Ding!
  • Windows 95 ... Good
  • Windows 98 ... YES!
  • Windows 2000 ... Why?!
  • Windows XP ... YES!
  • Windows Vista ... Eh
  • WIndows 7 ... YES!

Is there a pattern?"
But what's the point? What new functionality will 7 have over Vista, or XP even.

More people still use XP than any other OS."
Have you used Vista? it's not what new functionality will Win7 have, it's what annoying nonsense from Vista will it NOT have.  MS is making windows better by subtraction.  I have vista, my PC works and that's all nice and such, but Vista is a slow plodding beast that has more broken promises than J. Allard and his ONE BILLION GAMERS claim.

I'm also not a huge fanboy of XP, everyone loves XPsp2 NOW that vista is out and sucks.  But XP really wasn't all that and it was a huge target for worms/viruses/trojans
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By artofwar420
SathingtonWaltz said:
"Hmm, could this make me want to switch from Apple? No. "
You've got a point, I don't think Windows 7 will accrue many converts from Apple or Linux but I think it will grab those  XP users that didn't upgrade to Vista. You should try it at least, it's not gonna hurt you *or is it!??* * DUN DUN DUN!*
tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By tec3297

Personally my favorite version of Windows so far is either Windows XP or Windows 2000.  I despise Vista with a passion.  It takes so long to do just the simplest tasks.  If Windows 7 does not make up for the blunder that is Vista, I am buying a Mac.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By jakob187

UGH!  Fucking Microsoft.

"Hey, everyone, you should upgrade from that old XP to this new Vista immediately.  It's the future".

One year later...

"Hey, everyone, we're releasing a brand new OS that is going to be way better than Vista and not have nearly as much backlash.  So, buy it ASAP when it comes out.  It's the future".

Fuck all that bullshit.  XP and Vista are still absolutely viable, so fuck Windows 7!
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Snail
jakob187 said:
"UGH!  Fucking Microsoft.

"Hey, everyone, you should upgrade from that old XP to this new Vista immediately.  It's the future".

One year later...

"Hey, everyone, we're releasing a brand new OS that is going to be way better than Vista and not have nearly as much backlash.  So, buy it ASAP when it comes out.  It's the future".

Fuck all that bullshit.  XP and Vista are still absolutely viable, so fuck Windows 7"
Windows 7 is a Vista that goes a fucking lot easier in your system. It is not the future it is what Vista was always meant to be!
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By artofwar420
jakob187 said:
Fuck all that bullshit.  XP and Vista are still absolutely viable, so fuck Windows 7!
That makes no sense. But I'm sure Steve Ballmer will change your mind:

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By tec3297
jakob187 said:

One year later...

"

You have no idea what the fuck you are talkinga bout
Windows 7 is set to be released in Early 2010, and Vista was released Early 2007 that gives people three years with Vista.  Given Microsofts track record (excluding Xp to vista) 95>98, then 98>2000, then 2000>2001(XP), three years is a pretty good release, and of course they will still support Vista for a while after Windows 7 is release, and they will probably even release a Service Pack 3 for it, just like they did with Windows XP.

The Windows XP release was the exception to the rule.  It lasted 6 years before Microsoft released another version of windows.
Three years for vista is plenty of enough time for people to adopt, use, and get ready to upgrade.
So shut up and stop bitching.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Jensonb

-Sings "I played with Seven and I liked it" to the tune of "I kissed a Girl"-

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Systech

Man, this makes me really wish that my computer would make a good size partition with that 123GB of free space. I had the beta all downloaded and on a disc, too.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By artofwar420
systech said:
"Man, this makes me really wish that my computer would make a good size partition with that 123GB of free space. I had the beta all downloaded and on a disc, too."
You only need 16 or 17 GB for Windows 7, I'd do 30 GB and try it. Or is there another problem?
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Systech
artofwar420 said:
"systech said:
"Man, this makes me really wish that my computer would make a good size partition with that 123GB of free space. I had the beta all downloaded and on a disc, too."
You only need 16 or 17 GB for Windows 7, I'd do 30 GB and try it. Or is there another problem?"
There are other people who have this same issue. I'm only able to create about a 100MB partition for some reason.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Wolverine

I really want to try out the beta but I am to much of a puss to install it.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Hamz

Chill out people, or I'll have to get involved and then you really will have something to complain about after I'm done knocking some of you down a peg or two :)

DeadlyPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DeadlyPain
XP is brill, Microsoft thought they could improve it, through trial and error they made vista, public tried and tested it and gave vital feedback to microsoft.......microsoft through improving vista  found they can redefine vista and make it alot more better, well look at that, windows 7 arrives......whats so wrong with that?

NO ONE is forcing you to upgrade to windows 7 - microsoft has already made it clear that its basically vista but made alot more user friendly and uses less system resource......don't want it? Don't fecking buy it, or at least give the OS a beta test before you slag it off :P

im personally sticking with vista and don't plan on beta testing, im rather looking forward to Windows 7 wondering what microsoft will do from now till its release (did the same with vista as i was an XP user, switched to vista and havn't looked back since), and how windows 7 will be the first OS im going to buy in x64 format :D (Don't let me down microsoft lmao)
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jayge_
Hexpane said:
"Have you used Vista? it's not what new functionality will Win7 have, it's what annoying nonsense from Vista will it NOT have.  MS is making windows better by subtraction.  I have vista, my PC works and that's all nice and such, but Vista is a slow plodding beast that has more broken promises than J. Allard and his ONE BILLION GAMERS claim.

I'm also not a huge fanboy of XP, everyone loves XPsp2 NOW that vista is out and sucks.  But XP really wasn't all that and it was a huge target for worms/viruses/trojans"
Well there's the huge improvement over Vista, but then there's also the awesomesauce Taskbar and everything that stems from it.
DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By DARKIDO07

So is Windows 7 planned to have as long as a life span as Windows XP? I'm currently using Windows XP SP3 and plan to upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out. My mother has a laptop with Vista on it and its slow as shit.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By artofwar420
DARKIDO07 said:
"So is Windows 7 planned to have as long as a life span as Windows XP? I'm currently using Windows XP SP3 and plan to upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out. My mother has a laptop with Vista on it and its slow as shit."
It's been reported that Windows 7 has better performance than Vista, I wouldn't know since I exceed the requirements of both.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34  Edited By jakob187

In the end of it all, it doesn't matter.  I know Microsoft's OS timeline, and the reason you haven't seen a huge penetration for Vista isn't just because of its lacking performance.  Look at the economy.  People don't have the money to upgrade for the most part.

Windows 7 will end up in the same boat.  It'll be out for 2 years before anyone actually starts putting it on their comps, or buying new computers with it pre-installed...the same way that Vista has gone (although 2008 had lower sales for Vista than the 2 prior years).
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
artofwar420 said:
"SathingtonWaltz said:
"Hmm, could this make me want to switch from Apple? No. "
You've got a point, I don't think Windows 7 will accrue many converts from Apple or Linux but I think it will grab those  XP users that didn't upgrade to Vista. You should try it at least, it's not gonna hurt you *or is it!??* * DUN DUN DUN!*"
Once I can I already plan to try out the beta. I just need to find my damn OSX install discs... XD
Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lunarbunny

I purchased an external hard drive...so I'll be backing up then and reformatting. I'm willing to blow it all if I have all my stuff backed up.

Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Steven

Windows 7 is amazing, I love it.  I'm actually liking the new task bar more then the Mac's dock...but it's hard to say, I like some stuff about each, maybe I only say that because windows 7 is all new and shiny.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By serbsta

I installed it last week on a spare driver, im REALLY impressed, at this rate we should see a retail version released before the end of the year.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By time allen

I think if Microsoft made anything it would be an advancement over Vista, but it is still good to hear they got it right with Windows 7. It's only a beta, so we'll have to see but it certainly does look promising.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40  Edited By granderojo

I really think there going to come out and be all like

"APRIL FOOLZ,,,THIS IS REALLY VISTA GUYZ THAT WE SHOULD OF MADE"

no but seriously, Windows 7 is like vista without the whoring of RAM.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By optimusprime223

the only problem i have with vista is for some reason i get a sound error where it skips, but either I have got used that or they have fixed it, one of the two.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By crunchUK

XP is awesome!

go operating system wars!!!

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By mracoon

I didn't know Bill Gates had a Giant Bomb account.

Actually Windows 7 does look pretty cool and I might check it out on my spare PC.

Ashibaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ashibaka

I want to try the beta, but I really don't have time to get it up and going. I will probably do it by the end of the month on my new desktop though.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By artofwar420
Ashibaka said:
"I want to try the beta, but I really don't have time to get it up and going. I will probably do it by the end of the month on my new desktop though."
I wouldn't wait that long to download it, they're ending availability of the beta soon. But I'm sure you'll be able to get it on the Pirat... but you wouldn't have a key... that... I've said too much. Just download it know and get your key.
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By pirate_republic

Yeah I've been using it for a while now, and it's great. Works like a charm on my 1gb PC.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47  Edited By Karmum

Are there actually an substantial differences from the beta of W7 from Vista? Have been using Vista on my new PC for about a month, so this is still new to me, from using XP for several years.

Thomas said:

"jakob187 said:

One year later...

"

You have no idea what the fuck you are talkinga bout
Windows 7 is set to be released in Early 2010, and Vista was released Early 2007 that gives people three years with Vista.  Given Microsofts track record (excluding Xp to vista) 95>98, then 98>2000, then 2000>2001(XP), three years is a pretty good release, and of course they will still support Vista for a while after Windows 7 is release, and they will probably even release a Service Pack 3 for it, just like they did with Windows XP.

The Windows XP release was the exception to the rule.  It lasted 6 years before Microsoft released another version of windows.
Three years for vista is plenty of enough time for people to adopt, use, and get ready to upgrade.
So shut up and stop bitching."
If I'm not mistaken, however, the new Windows OS was announced or was in production within months after Vista. While this makes sense, should you really be announcing a new OS months after you just released a new one? Regardless, I'm enjoying Vista, and it isn't like Microsoft is going to abandon it once Windows 7 hits. Like you pointed out.
KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By KamasamaK
Karmum said:
"Are there actually an substantial differences from the beta of W7 from Vista? Have been using Vista on my new PC for about a month, so this is still new to me, from using XP for several years."
Features new to Windows 7

Many people will be upgrading from XP, though, so they will see a much bigger change.

Karmum said:
"If I'm not mistaken, however, the new Windows OS was announced or was in production within months after Vista. While this makes sense, should you really be announcing a new OS months after you just released a new one? Regardless, I'm enjoying Vista, and it isn't like Microsoft is going to abandon it once Windows 7 hits. Like you pointed out."
Actually, it was announced as being in development before Vista was even released. Not as if that means anything important.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By teh_destroyer

I decided to start downloading the beta,the installation instructions seem easy enough.I have a couple of questions though.
1.Would it not be a bad idea to create a partition if i plan on going back to using Windows XP?
2.Is there anything else I should be aware of doing before I Install the beta?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By artofwar420
teh_destroyer said:
"I decided to start downloading the beta,the installation instructions seem easy enough.I have a couple of questions though.
1.Would it not be a bad idea to create a partition if i plan on going back to using Windows XP?
2.Is there anything else I should be aware of doing before I Install the beta?"
I know there is a way to restore your hard drive's state (pre-partition), but I'm not sure. I have 2 hard drives and dodged the whole partition deal.