I just got kicked out of Med School and I feel kinda lost...

HonoredSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By HonoredSamurai

So yeah, went to Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK from  Chantilly, VA for Med School Year 1. I failed 2nd semester , was given a 2nd chance, of course on academic probation, and I have failed again. I know they will kick me out. I guess right now I'm confused because I always believed this was it for me, but with my challenges here I really am wondering what I will do. With undergrad, I've got about 100 grand in school debt and don't know if I should go job-hunting, or apply for a different degree or what have you. Leave Newcastle Tuesday morning and I have to pack. Man I'm depressed.  Fallout New Vegas doesn't even revive my spirits. Any wisdom to confer upon one as lost as I ?

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Dingofighter

Spend all your money on lottery tickets and hope you get lucky, so you won't ever have to work and therefore not need any education! 
That's what I'm planning to do anyway.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By stinky

you were going to med school and had time for fallout vegas?  
think i found your problem.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By sins_of_mosin

How can you already have 100k of debt?

I don't even want to think about the payments on that.  Join the military, you won't have to pay for lodging or food or other stuff.

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ImpendingFoil

Transfer to a school in the Dominican Republic and get your doctorate there.  That is what my mom's cousin did.  Of course that was over 20 years ago.

Just hang in there though, just because this didn't work out does not mean your life is lost forever.  I went to school for film, which was incredibly stupid, and now I work as a manager for a chain of stores.  It isn't exactly what I wanted to do in life but I do enjoy it.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ShadowConqueror
@sins_of_mosin said:
"How can you already have 100k of debt? I don't even want to think about the payments on that.  Join the military, you won't have to pay for lodging or food or other stuff. "

Also, if you do this, you could receive additional medical training and could even attend med school while enlisted.
madmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By madmo

Keep your head up, things are sure to get better. I would see what jobs are out there, maybe you can land something good then think about continuing with school.

FinalCut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#8  Edited By FinalCut
@ImpendingFoil:  May I ask, where you went to school for film and what aspect of it? I'm already a freelance editor/director/videorgrapher  and I'm going to school for film as well. I love what I'm doing, so I wonder what went wrong for you. :S
mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By mesklinite

Declare bankruptcy.
Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Hunkulese

I thought you couldn't get kicked out of med school. Maybe it's different here.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Sambambo

100k? How the hell?

You could do a degree that then leads into a medical degree so you are more prepared.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Sorry to hear that man, but everyone's fucked these days. I don't know anyone without any debt, and I keep having to go abroad to find work. Try and get some shitty job to tide you over while you figure out your next move, that's just modern life.

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cnlmullen

That legitimately sucks. I'm graduating soon... I'll have a useless degree and have no idea what I'm going to do either, but at least I don't have debt. 

I hear laughters a good medicine. Maybe play some Sam & Max / Monkey Island. Then get a low end job to support yourself for a while you figure out what to do next.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Th3_James

Bro, take out life insurance policy, fake death, move to mexico, sell tacos. Problem solved!

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gabriel

Dude 100k in debt after 1.5 years?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hunkulese
@Gabriel said:
" Dude 100k in debt after 1.5 years? "
You need a degree before starting med school
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cspiffo
@mesklinite: Student loans aren't considered in bankruptcy.   

Anyway, that sucks.  I say, don't give up if medicine is your passion.  There are other schools and other avenues in medicine that I bet you haven't considered yet.
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By veektarius

As someone who dropped out of a PhD program after several  years, my opinion is that even if you could technically get another degree, your record in med school will probably make the application process difficult for you and with that much debt, more is the last thing you need.  You need to look at your skillset and think about what kinds of jobs with long term prospects you're qualified for (e.g. teaching bio in high school, I don't know what you call it in England).  I don't know what a bio degree is worth in England, but over here in the States, that'd get you a job in the south and you could work on your Masters while you were down there.  Not recommending you move here, of course - just saying hard science teachers are in demand.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Colin

100k debt you have to be doing something very wrong.   I don't know about you but if I had that amount of debt the only thing on my mind would be getting a job and paying that shit off.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By alternate
Can you not transfer to a different course?  or are overseas fees too high if you are not doing medicine?  Most med school drop outs (there are a lot so don't feel too bad) switch to dentistry/pharmacology/biochem/etc.

@Hunkulese said:
" @Gabriel said:
You need a degree before starting med school "
Not in the UK you don't.  You can read medicine straight from the high school/A level equivalent.  Of course the OP might have done another degree first seeing as first year fees - even paying full whack - shouldn't be too high.
Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Rockdalf

Sounds like Med school wasn't right for you right then.  Do some soul searching and figure out what you want to do in life.  It took me joining the military to realize I didn't want to do that shit for the rest of my life, so I was quick to get back in school and figure something out.  YMMV.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayzilla

Apparently, playing a lot of video games and going to med school at the same time is a recipe for disaster. Thank you for testing that theory of mine out.

k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By k9
@HonoredSamurai said:
" So yeah, went to Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK from  Chantilly, VA for Med School Year 1. I failed 2nd semester , was given a 2nd chance, of course on academic probation, and I have failed again. I know they will kick me out. I guess right now I'm confused because I always believed this was it for me, but with my challenges here I really am wondering what I will do. With undergrad, I've got about 100 grand in school debt and don't know if I should go job-hunting, or apply for a different degree or what have you. Leave Newcastle Tuesday morning and I have to pack. Man I'm depressed.  Fallout New Vegas doesn't even revive my spirits. Any wisdom to confer upon one as lost as I ? "
That's awful. Graduate school is no joke. Most of my professors have told me that the first few years in their doctoral program was one of the most intellectually demanding periods of their life. Once you develop a passion for a particular subject matter, then it becomes much easier to handle all the academic responsibilities. 

I don't believe your intelligence is a problem here, since you were deemed good enough to be admitted into a doctoral program. The problem either was with time management or you simply didn't enjoy your subject matter.  So which one was it?
bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bearshamanbro

@HonoredSamurai   Can you get back in the school in the future? If you've already invested in that education, you should probably try to see it through. It might benefit to take some time off and set your goals and get your mind in focus.  I've been working professionally 5+ years and am doing something that I like to do. However, I do struggle with keeping myself motivated and keeping a healthy drive almost daily. The mental challenges of dealing with the grind is something everyone has to fight through and it's almost separate from the specific skills that you're doing. If your mind is not right you won't be successful at whatever you do no matter how talented. The medical stuff might still be your calling, you just have to figure out how to set yourself up to succeed.

woo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By woo

Well, if you still wanted to work in the medical field, several jobs exist that will give you that opportunity.  In the states, you could become a registered nurse, then get your doctoral, and become a nurse practitioner.  NPs are still doctors, and can almost do anything a MD can do.

Or, since I assume you have a science degree, you could look into the medical sales industry.  They prefer science majors over business for their more complex products, as you have to be knowledgeable enough to teach doctors and their staff how to correctly use products.  

Also, in the United States, you don't have to start paying back loans if you are still in school.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

transfer to another school. don't give up man. yeah, that's what i have. i feel embarrassed to say this but i have been going to community college for 4 years now :( i plan on graduating next semester, but i had to take a lot of classes over. i learned that i don't think college was my thing. i took a bunch of classes 3 times, mostly just match and english, but my major i do great in. right now i'm studying for math final. i am hoping that i do good.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Raymayne
@Gabriel said:
Christ you're stupid, it was hyperbole ffs 0_0 

Jesus, some people....
onecynicmedic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By onecynicmedic

Ever considered Emergency Medical Services? Working as a paramedic is a good way to get clinical experience as well as develop a great deal of the medical knowledge required as a physician (physical examination, cardiology, respiratory physiology, pharmacology, in addition to the pathophysiology and treatment of a wide range of other medical and traumatic derangement) in the emergency setting.

HonoredSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HonoredSamurai
@stinky: Admittedly Gaming is a hobby of mine but I believed that instead of going out to get  drunk like my colleagues, it was a suitable alternative 

Everyone has some kind of debt or so I'm told, but where I'm sitting now I wonder whether or not I should reconsider a new profession/career to endeavor towards and continue some form of education, or just go the job route and use my B.S. in Biochemistry  from Illinois Tech  to get some entry level thing somewhere. Thoughts?
Avatar image for thevideohustler
TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheVideoHustler

Don't feel bad dude, I have been through 3 colleges and 4 majors trying to decided what it was I wanted to do in life. I thought that I knew what tracks I wanted to take, but after trying them all I realized I had some shitty ideas. The notion that people walk into a college and come out in 4 years with a degree is pretty ludicrous. 2 and a half years later, I finally found myself and know what I want to do and I basically have to start college over to do it. And of course the crippling debt is following me. So hang in there dude .

I did

HonoredSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HonoredSamurai
@Veektarius:  Well I went abroad TO the United Kingdom, so I am from USA.  
@Colin: 100k of debt after 4 years of Undergrad and 1.5 years of Med School; Yea not having had a good paying job since I've been a student most of my life makes this seem very intimidating to me
Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Arbie

I'm sorry to hear about what happened and I hope you feel a little better soon.

In the mean time I think you've received some good advice from people in this thread. Someone mentioned considering going into teaching. Is that not something you'd enjoy? 

HonoredSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HonoredSamurai

Teaching, paramedic, and going back to school with more focus seem to be the  strong candidates in driving my opinion right now, and thanks to all for reading and replying, it sincerely helps me feel better about all this.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By No0b0rAmA

The Military is probably your best bet, depending on where you live. I have friends who got they're tuition payed by the government.

Colin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Colin
@HonoredSamurai:  But isn't the point of going to uni etc to in the end get a job :s   Either way man you can't hide from the fact you need to start working on that debt in whatever way you can and not let it happen again.   I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but 100k debt blows my mind, I'm a final year university student and I don't have any problems but then again it depends were you go and were your living etc.  But ya just try to get some money rolling in and try cut back much as you can and only buy games that are on steam sales :P you'll save 100's alone doing that xD.
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SSully
@No0b0rAmA said:
" The Military is probably your best bet, depending on where you live. I have friends who got they're tuition payed by the government. "
Yeah it is also his best bet if he does not mind the threat of going to war and getting killed. 
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@SSully said:
" @No0b0rAmA said:
" The Military is probably your best bet, depending on where you live. I have friends who got they're tuition payed by the government. "
Yeah it is also his best bet if he does not mind the threat of going to war and getting killed.  "
If he has the career skills, he might be put in a better position then most people. Somewhere safe.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I'll be honest, if I was 100k in debt I would just kill myself.

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By memo
@stinky said:
" you were going to med school and had time for fallout vegas?  think i found your problem. "
Thats the reason u failed. I agree with stinky. 
Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Gregomasta
@HonoredSamurai:  I'm going through something similar man.  Make a new years resolution, start brand new.  The only way that I've been able to succeed in school is when I'm reading the word of God and when I'm praying.  I'm a Christian but I'm struggling real hard right now.  I thought I could drink, smoke weed AND get straight A's.  So after dropping 3 classes, and now failing two, heh, I know I NEED to be sober.  I'll be 24 on December 22nd.  I'm still a freshman in college.  I know how it feels, like I'll never graduate and I'll never get a well paying job.  That's just the Devil keeping you down man.  Keep forward.  I thank God I have the sensors, that I know whats the problem and I know how to stop it.  That's all the wisdom I got man.  I'll pray for you as well as myself today my man.  God bless you and keep forward.
Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Meowshi

That's sucks man, sorry. 

I don't know what I'd do if I were in your place. 

wubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By wubb
@mesklinite said:
" Declare bankruptcy. "
Generally student loan debt is not forgiven in bankruptcy.  One reason why you want to pay that debt down over most other types.