I'm getting a tattoo in memory of Ryan Davis

• 170 results
IceOrb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@riotisonfire: Try a different font. I went through a couple different fonts before I found one that flowed well. Also the position that Ryan had his in and the position I chose is a pretty static spot. I mean skin moves, it's skin. So a little wiggle is pretty unavoidable and something you have to understand fully when you get anything done. My wrist bands see the most wiggle and were the hardest to get right.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If that's what you want, you should get the tattoo.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dude... dont

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Try "Tatoos don't care" instead.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

pff pretty much anyone who says OMG it's a tattoo be careful probably does not have one. Just do it.

One year will pass and you'll never look at it again.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

What exactly is it with people feeling they need to tattoo the name of someone onto their body? To show the world ur feels?

I can kind of get behind it if it's your long time lover, parent, daughter, son, etc, but this?

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By TheHumanDove

He's doing it!

Acornactivist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#160  Edited By Acornactivist

So did you do it?

It seems weird if you think about it literally, as Ryan's name tattooed on your forever. But if it truly means more to you than that, and Ryan's life genuinely impacted yours in a significant way, I think this is actually a really cool thing to do. It's just about remembering Ryan. It's acknowledging the course your life took because of the impact Ryan had on you, and symbolizing the importance of what that means to you.

People get way worse tattoos all the time.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

So uhhh... Tattoo?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sooty said:

What exactly is it with people feeling they need to tattoo the name of someone onto their body? To show the world ur feels?

I can kind of get behind it if it's your long time lover, parent, daughter, son, etc, but this?

Pfft...

Lovers are for nerds. Parents are lame. Kids are dumb and stupid. Ryan is cool.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#163  Edited By bboymaestro

I love how many people are pouring their hearts out either for or against this idea. I also love knowing that, if you're anything like me, none of these arguments matter. You like the ink? Get the fucking ink. How many of these people's approval do you really want, and how many of them will you actually see?

Edit: did not realize this was a months old topic. Still. My point stands.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would have just gone for the "mom" in binary thing. It's both still a good tribute and less awkward to explain.

Also, with regards to the comment above about having parents, kids, or significant others tattooed on, I would say yes to the first two but absolutely no to the last one. Kids and parents are a "for life" thing. You can't change that. However, boyfriends/girlfriends/husbands/wives can change, even after a long time. A coworker of mine's best friend is in the midst of probably breaking up with her longtime fiance. This fiance has her name TATTOOED ACROSS HIS CHEST. Of course I find this immensely amusing, but man that must be awkward for him.

Nmckee503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have scars on my leg from self harm, I would love to cover them up with a "Ryan Davis" tattoo to remind myself of who I want to be. He was an awesome and lovely man and I would love to be remembered the way he is. Is that shitty? I don't know, but feel free to message me on either side of the fence.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#166  Edited By sammo21

Well, I would say this is weird considering you're getting a tattoo in memory of a person who got that tattoo in memory of another person, but whatever...live your life. I personally find 99% of tattoos lame anyway, so I'm the wrong person to ask.

Maybe think of something else to get in his memory, tattoo wise. Like, something you designed yourself maybe? Like others have said, I'm fairly certain Ryan would tell you, "No, don't do that."

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By Xeirus

@akrid said:

Ryan was a fucking amazing person, but getting a tattoo for him would set a dangerously low precedent on what you'll do to your own body for people you've never met.

Internet is hard; it's easy to get sucked into the cult of personalities (I guess that's a phrase people use?), and identify people as your friends, but at the end of the day, despite what you may think, it's probably not healthy to associate so closely. Buying a T-shirt of a favorite website is weird enough for me as it is; scarring my body (albeit in response to a death of a great man) is another thing entirely.

Maybe in the future, when video game journalists have become the new sports athletes in terms of identifiability, maybe then it won't be weird. Right now, though, it totally is.

Buying a T-shirt for something you like is weird?..... what the hell world do you live in?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xeirus said:

@ch3burashka said:

@akrid said:

Ryan was a fucking amazing person, but getting a tattoo for him would set a dangerously low precedent on what you'll do to your own body for people you've never met.

Internet is hard; it's easy to get sucked into the cult of personalities (I guess that's a phrase people use?), and identify people as your friends, but at the end of the day, despite what you may think, it's probably not healthy to associate so closely. Buying a T-shirt of a favorite website is weird enough for me as it is; scarring my body (albeit in response to a death of a great man) is another thing entirely.

Maybe in the future, when video game journalists have become the new sports athletes in terms of identifiability, maybe then it won't be weird. Right now, though, it totally is.

Buying a T-shirt for something you like is weird?..... what the hell world do you live in?

The kind where people don't get overly antagonistic about opinions.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roborobb: So did you pull through with it? It's not a terrible tattoo like some posters would make it out to be. I've seen people tattoo a pun on a brand of fabric softener in memory of their family...so...it could be WAY worse. But the real question would probably be whether or not in 40-50 years you still care enough for GiantBomb to have that tattoo on.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That tattoo is so easy to pass off as simply a neat design if someone asks about it and you don't want to tell them.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By ripelivejam

i think a better testament to him would be a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo on it, on your butt.

btw way way too late but i would personally say go for it. it's not as hideous/audacious as most, can be passed off as a cool design if you so choose, and still can keep its special meaning for you. people get tattoos of much much stupider and more regretful things all the time. like the face of Adam Durwitz.