I use my iPad a lot, should I get an iMac? looking for adivce.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DonPixel

Hey there! This is one of those weird dilemmas I probably shouldn't have... so here it goes:

I use my iPad a lot, I would say that 95% of my leisure computing is done there nowadays, ya know: netflix, youtube, meme browsing, giantbomb.. you name it. As for my real work I use my PC for Maya and Unity mostly, I've been looking into buying an iMac so I can close the ecosystem of my daily computer life... However, it seems like a chore to get use to the Mac interface for Maya and Unity, not to name apple prices for a desktop.

Anyway, I'm looking for experiences. Does it really ad anything to the iPad experience to have an apple desktop? in regards of the ecosystem or cloud compatibility? seems to me that the cloud sync you experience with the ipad/pc combo is actually kinda the same I would experience with an ipad/imac combo, am I right? or am I missing something?

mental note: tested.com is actually a better place to post this... dumbass.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

@DonPixel said:

, meme browsing,

Yes you should absolutely by an iMac and everything else beginning with the letter i, only then will your life be complete.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sooty

Honestly not really, the syncing between an iPhone, iPad and computer running OS X is what makes it good.

Just having my iPad and MacBook Air sync doesn't do much for me. If I were you, I would switch to Chrome on both iOS and Windows, the tab syncing is truly awesome.

If you really want to have your iPad and computer sync, you could just put OS X on a PC.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By EuanDewar

OH MY GOD MEME BROWSING

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kermoosh

@DonPixel said:

However, it seems like a chore to get use to the Mac interface for Maya and Unity, not to name apple prices for a desktop.

kinda seems like you already made up your mind.

i have a macbook pro that i love for leisurely activities and games but i'm gonna get a pc desktop in the future. while i think the mac os is better, windows has the advantage of not needing adaptors and ussually being exclusive for programs, where macs might get the same program long after windows users do. in hindsight you can run the imac in bootcamp but that just defeats the purpose. all in all, mac for casual stuff and pc for overall experience stuff imo

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DonPixel

@EuanDewar said:

OH MY GOD MEME BROWSING

its what the cool kids do man... where you been!? god...

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

@kermoosh said:

@DonPixel said:

However, it seems like a chore to get use to the Mac interface for Maya and Unity, not to name apple prices for a desktop.

mac for casual stuff and pc for overall experience stuff imo

Yep.

I love OS X for laptops, the combination of virtual desktop and trackpad gestures is awesome, that is kinda irrelevant on a desktop though, so I use Windows there.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DonPixel

@Sooty: @kermoosh: Good observations thank you both. Seems like I wouldn't be getting much other than the annoyance of setting up an unknown work environment with a new mac desktop.

I'll gonna keep my current combo.

and fuck yes the 9GAG app for iOS is like the best thing ever, I Meme browse like a pro.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NiKva

Macs are kind of expensive, just get a decent laptop instead.

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Aterons

If you are rich enough to afford more expensive products because the "I" is cool... might as well go full circle

HoboZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HoboZero

If you're developing apps, might be worth picking up a Mac Mini off the Apple refurb store to get used to their dev tools on OS X. Unity is freaking awesome, but you could dip your toes in the submission process with a few smaller apps first. I've never had any issues with anything on the refurb store, quality wise.

scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By scalpel

It's a big expensive computer, so if you need one of those then you should get one.