I'm 20 and live with my mother.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

Is that a bad thing? Oh and I'm going to University and have a job. The only bill I pay is the car insurance for my car. It's under my name so its hella expensive.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By BulletproofMonk

No.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Sambambo

If I didn't go to uni then I'd be in the same situation.

I'd say the limit is around 25 before it gets odd.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

i'm 23 and still at home, god damn real estate is prohibitive!

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Still_I_Cry

Me too!

I'm a full-time student and my parents were like, "You can stay here so you can focus on your studies :D!".

People at my university seem to think it is a bad thing to actually like your parents and live with them while you're in college.

Guess it factors into the the whole "I'm an adult and Independent" thing.

I never understood that mentality to be honest.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

Nah, I'm 21 and moved into my grandparents house (cause it's right down the road from the community college). Dorms are fucking expensive, and if I save that money by staying at home, god damnit I'm going to! I've got one year left, then I can take that promotion, and manage that pizza joint downstate (or go do something else).

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

No, my aunt was 40 when she moved out. That was a bad thing

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By deanoxd

Depends, does she pay all your bills? do you have a job or are you going to post secondary school? Because if you are just sitting in your moms basement playing video games living off her then yes, but if you are furthering your education and or working at the same time thus helping your mom to pay the bills and what not then no.

OhdK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By OhdK2

do what you want man. people will always be trying to put you down.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Barrock

Nope. I'm 21 and live with my parents. I go to college. What else am I going to do? Get an apartment and pay for a tiny ass place that's not much bigger than my current bedroom?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mosespippy

In Italy the average male doesn't move out of their parents house until they are in their early thirties. Most of the people I went to high school with still live with their parents because the cheapest university in the country is 20 minutes away. Free rent and cheap education is a very appealing combination.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

@BulletproofMonk said:

No.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JerichoBlyth

26 and still live with the folks. Hard times.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Marz

College loan debt is ridiculous nowadays..  it's totally acceptable to live with your parents after you graduate college to help negate some living expenses so you can pay that loan off, i did that and it worked out fine.

Now if your just a bum and leeching off your parents because they let you... then yeah you should probably do something with your life or pay the bills or something.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15  Edited By Castiel

I'm 21 and also still live at home... so I would say no.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RE_Player1

I'm 19 and I still live at home. I'll probably still be here until I'm 24. There is nothing wrong with living at home. If your honestly working, getting your career on track, paying off loans etc than fine. If your just a lazy bum that does nothing than there is a problem.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Akyho

We just had a recession. Untill it all back to being like it was. I think alot of people will be living with there parents for a longer time than usal. I am 23. I moved out and lived on my own for three months and the money buckled under me. I had a job and still couldnt afford to stay alive. So had to move back in.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By penguindust

With the economy the way it is these days, I really don't see it as an issue. Living with your parents is probably better than living with a couple of roommates who will break your stuff and eat your food. I'd worry about it once you have a career and can afford to continuously live independently. If you decide to get married then it's definitely time to find your own place, though.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Justin258

I am also 20 and live at home, though I go to college and have a job.

If you're 20 and you're not working at all to better yourself, then that's bad. Expect to go nowhere in life.

If you're 20 and you are working to better yourself, but you're staying at your mom's house because you haven't gotten there yet, then that's not a bad thing at all. In fact, that's a good thing.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pinworm45

20 is perfectly fine. Particularly these days.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikkaQ

These days it's getting pretty normal.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#22  Edited By Danteveli

no and situations depends on ecconomy if you have money to buy house pay rent, have steady income and still decide to live with parents it may be a bit wierd

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By matthias2437

There is nothing wrong with that. I am almost twenty and live at home, but I am also in college and working a full time job. I probably wont move out until I am 22 which is when I finish my degree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I moved out at 23. I sometimes wish I had the extra five or six hundred bucks I'd have living at home.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By phrosnite

So? Nothing wrong there.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah, the age to stay at home is not what it once was. I'm still commuting at 21, but I'm looking to get an apartment for next year...if not, I'll commute for my last year at 22 haha.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By DeF

20? what are you complaining about?

In my opinion, getting your own place only makes sense if you have a job to sustain yourself and are ready to go your own way. If you're not causing trouble at home or not just keep living there because it's easy, what's the big deal?

I'm 26 and still living at home because I'm still going to University close to home and moving out now would 'cause more trouble than staying. I'm not happy about that but that's how it is until I'm done with that.

When I was 20, I was still in school. Why would you feel pressure to move out already?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jozzy

I do think it is important to live independantly for a while, moving from your parents straight into a place with your gf can be desastrous. But that's primarely for those people who think your gf is going to take care of you like your mother does.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Branthog

If someone is attending school, I completely understand staying with their parents for a couple extra years or so. Otherwise, I don't really get it. Get a job and get an apartment and get the hell out and start enjoying your own life (though, if you don't, it's not really anyone's business except yours and your parents).

Personally, I got the hell out when I was seventeen. I love my mom and everything, but why would I want to live at home when I'm an adult and why should they care for my needs and expenses? Just as mom and dad are obligated to take care of you and raise you to adulthood, you should be responsible for yourself and care for yourself and remove yourself from being a burden on them as soon as possible. And yeah, it might be hard to get started in life on your own, but that's just tough. (Note, I'm saying "you" in general - I'm not referring to whatever situation the original poster might be in).

Maybe this is a generational thing, because in the 90s everyone I knew was planning to either go away to school as soon as they graduated highschool or they expected (and were expected) to move out around the time they turned eighteen. Not to mention, I couldn't imagine telling a girl "hey, want to go back to my mom's house?".

Of course, I'm only speaking from the perspective of an American. I know that in other countries, it's much more common for people to live with their parents for far longer. In America, we have an attitude that as soon as you become an adult, you get the fuck out. And when you get really old, you maybe move in with your children if you're lucky. Otherwise, you move into a retirement/nursing home and rot away the last of your years, hoping for an occasional visit from your ungrateful children.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SmilingPig

At 25 it starts to get a bit weird... and at 30 no woman will touch you if you still stay with your mom (unless SHE dose you sick mother f****r).

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 20 and I live with my grandparents and see no shame in it. I'm hoping to be out of here by the time i'm around 24/25

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Branthog said:

Maybe this is a generational thing, because in the 90s everyone I knew was planning to either go away to school as soon as they graduated highschool or they expected (and were expected) to move out around the time they turned eighteen. Not to mention, I couldn't imagine telling a girl "hey, want to go back to my mom's house?".

That would be awkward.

Yes, I am Master of the Obvious.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Dagbiker

Im 25 and live at home with my mom, and my sister who is 23, so its fine, the way i figure is, as long as you are moving forward and happy with your life then its fine

GodsMistakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GodsMistakeXx

Dude you're fine. Parents who kick their kids out at 18 are real dicks. It's in no way easy to suddenly find a well paying job outside of highschool.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Chop

I'm 21, live with my dad, and have no plans of moving out in the near future. I don't think it's that bad, seeing as how all my friends who immediately left home at 18 ended up broke and constantly having money issues. 

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Winternet

Unless your mother is a psychotic mass murderer / cannibal, I think you're fine.

Jimmi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Jimmi

I'm 21 and still living at home but god damn does it suck. Cramps my style with the ladies like you wouldn't believe.

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sagalla

When you're 20, the important thing is, you must be ready to set all your possessions on fire, max out your credit card, and head down to mexico, smoke weed, and pick up some mexican chicks

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Buscemi

Damn, I'm 20 and I live with my family. I'm getting to a point where I want to move out pretty soon, maybe in a year or two, but it's ok for now.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CaLe

Times are a changin' and no, this is actually probably a lot more common than you think.

Avatar image for countinhallways
countinhallways

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By countinhallways

Not at all.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By soldierg654342

@PenguinDust said:

With the economy the way it is these days, I really don't see it as an issue. Living with your parents is probably better than living with a couple of roommates who will break your stuff and eat your food.

I moved out for my first year of college and got some roommates to split the rent. They ate my food indiscriminatelyand someone stole my clock-radio. I commute now.

buttle826

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By buttle826

Yeah, that's fine. I'm 19 and I'll probably live with my parents until I'm about 23.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#45  Edited By Soap

I'm 23 on friday and I still live at home with my mum, it's just not an option to move out yet, shit is way to expensive.

groin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By groin

You should not feel too bad about that. A friend of mine is 28 and still lives with his parents.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Hizang

I'm 19 and 20 in March, I'm doing up my bedroom this Christmas so I have no immediate intention of moving out. But I would love to be in my own place by 23-24-25, 26 is where I draw the line of hey I should be fucking out of here!

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mandude

I'm 20 and I live with both my parents. Does that make me twice as cool as you, or half as cool as you?

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By freakin9

Heh, I don't think I've seen so many "is my life horrible?" type threads till I looked here. If you really feel that way, put the games down, yes it can be hard, but it's not impossible either. Getting rid of distractions can be the quickest way to be more productive, in however manner you want to be that you think you'd be happier doing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I've wanted to live on my own since I was 12. The idea of still living with my parents at 22 or so horrifies me.