Is Anyone Else's Nexus 7 Not Updating to KitKat Yet?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I have a 2013 wifi Nexus 7 and it's been 4 days since google said it would be updating other nexus devices to 4.4, kit kat. I know google rolls updates out among the user-base slowly and doesn't give everyone access all at once, but it seems like it should have happened by now...

Also, is it true the Nexus 7 isn't getting a transparent navbar?? I thought google said one of the big additions in 4.4 was that, plus the option for developers to add it to their apps (they can also disable the navbar completely like video apps can). Would be a huge bummer since that was the feature I was most looking forward to, even more so than 4.4 being more lightweight/with better performance

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I don't think it has rolled out yet. Mine hasn't got it either.

americangambit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I am still waiting with my nexus 7 2012.

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a nexus 4 and a 7 and neither of them have kit kat yet. My understanding of it was "a couple of weeks" until it's rolled out to existing devices.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Sooty

You can get the transparent navbar by installing the Google Experience Launcher apk (it's not officially out yet, but works fine). The new Google Now cards are great.

My Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7 (2013) are both on KitKat, my Nexus 7 got it officially as a system update.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: It can take awhile. There are a lot of Nexus' in the wild, and Google distributes these updates at a snail's pace. You should have the update by Friday of next week, but if you just can't wait you could always just flash the update onto your Nexus. It isn't hard, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're new to Android. (Though even if you are, there are some really helpful guides out there)

And yes, the Nexus 7 doesn't get the transparent Status and Navigation bar, but I think you're confusing that with the immersive mode. As far as I'm aware, the immersive mode will work on anything running Kit Kat.

Here's a video on how to get the transparent Status and Navigation bars. As well as the "Ok Google" feature.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By yukoasho

I am still waiting with my nexus 7 2012.

Same. I don't game on the thing due to my dislike of tablet gaming in general, and I don't need to update that frequently just to browse the web, read fanfics and control my Blu-Ray player's Youtube app from my bed, maybe use the PlayStation App if it turns out to be more than a stupid gimmick. Maybe I'll pick up the 2014 edition if the one I got goes weird on me for whatever reason.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9 MattyFTM  Moderator

My Nexus 4 hasn't got the update yet either. I got the 4.3 update fairly quickly, but this one seems to be taking a little longer.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I updated my 2012 Nexus 7 manually, installed GEL and everything took about 10 minutes. It's stupidly easy, and almost risk free. Much better option than waiting for the OTA if you need to have KitKat.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nope, that being said my 2012 is currently out of battery... and my 2013 has been sitting in my laptop bad on the back seat of my car all weekend and I haven't bothered to check. I'll get all my Kit Kat action on my Nexus 5 for the time being.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sooty

GEL isn't properly optimised yet it seems, it lags on my Nexus 7 (2013) but runs better on a 2012 Nexus 7 and my Galaxy S3. Kind of weird but it is after all not officially out yet for anything but the Nexus 5.

I don't find it very useful on a tablet anyway as I don't use Google Now very much on mine, only my phone.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

GEL isn't properly optimised yet it seems, it lags on my Nexus 7 (2013) but runs better on a 2012 Nexus 7 and my Galaxy S3. Kind of weird but it is after all not officially out yet for anything but the Nexus 5.

I don't find it very useful on a tablet anyway as I don't use Google Now very much on mine, only my phone.

Yeah, I tried the GEL on my 2013 nexus 7 and it wasnt a good experience. Low quality icons, poor performance, and features I could care less about.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RonGalaxy

Okay, I still haven't received it. Anyone in the same boat as me? Just want to make sure I'm not alone

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By korwin

Okay, I still haven't received it. Anyone in the same boat as me? Just want to make sure I'm not alone

Nothing for mine either, it will show but eventually.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sooty
@naru_joe93 said:

@sooty said:

Yeah, I tried the GEL on my 2013 nexus 7 and it wasnt a good experience. Low quality icons, poor performance, and features I could care less about.

I quite like it on my phone. Weird that it runs so well on my S3 which is a year and a half old now yet my Nexus 7 lags opening the app drawer.

That Samsung hardware is pretty damn good once you get rid of Touchwiz!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ch3burashka

I ate some Kit Kat's this morning.

Wait, am I in the right thread?

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By ervonymous

My 2012 Nexus 7 updated last night, jumping between apps seemed a bit smoother.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to warn some 2012 Nexus 7 users to NOT install the 4.4 OTA update... Google fucked it up and many people (including me) are left with a useless Nexus that is in a never ending bootload.