Jim Sterling vs. Girl Gamers

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By NathHaw

Both were using it, she more than he, as publicity or to garner attention.  I read the entirety of the comments on the blog and the ones posted on twitter.  They knew what they were doing (even if both were slightly offended).

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Hey, it's okay to be a douchebag on the internet, as long you don't have a penis. It's hilarious to see that Gearbox guy ranting about Sterling on twitter and giving a freepass to Daphny to act like an XBL troll.

Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By BjornTheUnicorn

Jim wins, if only for this:  
" I know exactly what cunts look like. I'm talking to one right now.  " 
This was after she said that he should get laid, not knowing what a vagina looks like, etc. And Jesus Christ, were her insults at the level of an 8 year old. At least Sterling, while immature, had some wit. 
And I'm tired of defending him on GiantBomb. Stop having a thread like "Jim Sterling, Retard, or Sever Retard?" everyday. It gets old.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By CL60

Both of them are dumb.

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Daroki

So amateur troll takes on professional troll and hijinks ensue?  

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By DystopiaX
@Lord_Yeti said:

" Hey, it's okay to be a douchebag on the internet, as long you don't have a penis. It's hilarious to see that Gearbox guy ranting about Sterling on twitter and giving a freepass to Daphny to act like an XBL troll. "

Basically...I read what he said..I love gearbox, I think he's a great PR guy and the voices he did for Borderlands is hilarious, but the fact that he's ignoring what Daphny said just because she's a woman and was insulting Sterling by being gay is not ok...he's saying he's not going to be interviewed by Sterling ever again, but they both made very sexist comments. The whole argument that he represents Dtoid is dumb as well; there's no reason he should be discriminated against because he works with a big publication and this Daphny person is unknown. 
edit- I'm also really surprised that game industry people are taking sides over this...obviously both sides are wrong but why anyone would throw themselves into a shit slinging fight is beyond me.
pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By pwnasaurus

they both seem to be childish, idiots. hopefully she kills him and goes to prison and cannot get back on the internet ever.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By audiosnag

Can someone explain to me how Jim calling this crazy person a cunt after she started this who stupid mess with vulgar insults and this drawing full of pretty explicit stuff makes him the bad guy and her the victim?
He's not in the right he should have dropped it way sooner and been the bigger man (no pun intended) but good lord. This reads like her going out of her way to piss him off as much as she possibly can then calling "misogynous" when he gets riled up.
An yeah he's known for Destructoid but he's a blogger, he's not some high profile journalist and if he goes a little too far defending himself, big deal.
What a stupid situation.

@DystopiaX said:

" @Lord_Yeti said:

" Hey, it's okay to be a douchebag on the internet, as long you don't have a penis. It's hilarious to see that Gearbox guy ranting about Sterling on twitter and giving a freepass to Daphny to act like an XBL troll. "

I'm also really surprised that game industry people are taking sides over this...obviously both sides are wrong but why anyone would throw themselves into a shit slinging fight is beyond me. "

Fuckin A. Why would anyone wanna touch this with a ten foot pole?
PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Jim Sterling is awesome. 

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By DystopiaX
@audiosnag said:
" Can someone explain to me how Jim calling this crazy person a cunt after she started this who stupid mess with vulgar insults and this drawing full of pretty explicit stuff makes him the bad guy and her the victim?
He's not in the right he should have dropped it way sooner and been the bigger man (no pun intended) but good lord. This reads like her going out of her way to piss him off as much as she possibly can then calling "misogynous" when he gets riled up.
An yeah he's known for Destructoid but he's a blogger, he's not some high profile journalist and if he goes a little too far defending himself, big deal.
What a stupid situation.

@DystopiaX said:

" @Lord_Yeti said:

I'm also really surprised that game industry people are taking sides over this...obviously both sides are wrong but why anyone would throw themselves into a shit slinging fight is beyond me. "
Fuckin A. Why would anyone wanna touch this with a ten foot pole? "
idk, but Mikey Neumann over at Gearbox has denounced Sterling for being sexist (true) while ignoring everything Daphny did (a mistake IMO) and a bunch of other people in the industry have agreed with him.
audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By audiosnag
@DystopiaX said:
" @audiosnag said:
" Can someone explain to me how Jim calling this crazy person a cunt after she started this who stupid mess with vulgar insults and this drawing full of pretty explicit stuff makes him the bad guy and her the victim?
What a stupid situation.

@DystopiaX said:

" @Lord_Yeti said:

Fuckin A. Why would anyone wanna touch this with a ten foot pole? "
idk, but Mikey Neumann over at Gearbox has denounced Sterling for being sexist (true) while ignoring everything Daphny did (a mistake IMO) and a bunch of other people in the industry have agreed with him. "
That absolutely baffles me. I mean am I missing part of the story here? Do lesbians get a free pass? I'm absolutely NOT saying anything negative about lesbians or females or anything like that but I mean....am i missing something??
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By DystopiaX
@audiosnag: I think they're taking the position that random trolls on the internet will be trolls, and Sterling should have been a professional. Still don't agree with that though.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

She seems crazy but hey, if this gets Sterling fired from Destructoid I might actually start going there again. That's probably unlikely though since I imagine his bullshit is what gets them most of their traffic.

Otogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Otogi
@Garfield518 said:  

This below me. That said (and I rarely surrender to this kind of crude apathy): Fuck 'em both. This like two guys arguing about a fence, and then one guy starts spouting out racial slurs while the other guy calls his daughter a slut.

" I don't see what this thread has to do with girl gamers, aside from the fact that one out of the thousands is an attention seeker and draws creepy shit. "

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By audiosnag
@DystopiaX: 
Yeah agreed. If some nutjob is slagging you publicly you should have every right to respond.
Trebz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Trebz

I like Mr. Sterling. He's never afraid of saying what he wants and he usually backs his arguments up with wit and thought. Yeah, Jim should have dropped the conversation right after "What the fuck is wrong with you?" but Daphny was obviously intentionally baiting him on the whole time, so I can't entirely blame him for overreacting. 

I wouldn't call Jim sexist, because he usually seems like a fair-minded individual. I figure he was just really annoyed.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By DystopiaX
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" She seems crazy but hey, if this gets Sterling fired from Destructoid I might actually start going there again. That's probably unlikely though since I imagine his bullshit is what gets them most of their traffic. "
Don't get me wrong, I don't like Sterling's writing, but I don't think anyone should be fired over this. If they fire him because they're tired of the bullshit he writes on the site, fine, but if someone drew me having sex with some other dude with penises growing out of him I might have been freaked out as well.
Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#68  Edited By Turtlemayor333

If there's anything to piss you off in this situation, it should be these  "industry guys" throwing their two cents out there without understanding the conflict. I mean if we're making the argument that Jim is representing all of Destructoid via his personal Twitter, can't the same argument be made for these dudes representing their publishers? The argument between the two parties here doesn't bother me - it's the peanut gallery garbage coming into play.

For football fans, this should remind you of all the former players and scrubs who said Jay Cutler wasn't a tough player on Twitter when he was in the playoffs and they were sitting at home.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DystopiaX:  Yeah, by no means would it be righteous for him to be fired over something like this. I'd be pleased if it happened though. Kind of an end justifies the means thing.
Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Lautaro
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" She seems crazy but hey, if this gets Sterling fired from Destructoid I might actually start going there again. That's probably unlikely though since I imagine his bullshit is what gets them most of their traffic. "
Maybe just don't read his stuff instead of wanting to take away a persons livelihood? Also there are plenty of articles on that site not written by him.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By FluxWaveZ

That drawing's fucked up.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#72  Edited By N7

Where would we be without the internet? Imagine this argument taking place in person. No one would be able to come up with witty comments in time for comedic effect.

I think, sometimes, we should all take a step back from defending this, attacking that, and just appreciate the internet and all it brings us.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eedc15bc689f
deactivated-5eedc15bc689f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

This Daphne is a loon, and Sterling should have just dropped it after his first tweet or two.  

As for people taking sides, having read the Twitter exchange I feel any one taking either side is doing every one a disservice. They were both acting like twats and I can hardly believe this whole thing has turned into an actual issue. I am no fan of Sterling, he is the one thing that keeps me away from Destructoid, which is a shame as I like some of the others around there but I can not support a site that in turn supports such an obvious attention whore of a troll.