Let's talk about GIRL BAND POP ROCK HEAVY METAL.

• 80 results
fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 29

#1  Edited By fistfulofmetal

Because I think it's pretty awesome

I've been listening to this band for the last two days and I don't know maybe I have some sort of brain tumor? The combination of j-pop and power metal is triggering some sort of pleasure nerve in my brain I've never experienced before. Like... I don't really like any of that anime stuff or stuff from japan or whatever. I don't like pop music. But these little asian girls have managed to melt my cold dead heart over here.

That blue-haired drummer tho. Right? Has there been a female asian drummer as cool as that?

And I can't get over the awesome vocals from the lead singer in the first video. How she raises up in octaves is pretty impressive to me.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By falserelic

Sounds like something from an intro of an action anime.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

It almost sounds like A Day To Remember.. Or something..

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really listen to it.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything about this is just great

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jimmyfenix

Nothing can beat this.

Loading Video...
falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Nothing can beat this.

I got 5 songs from Yakuza 4 that I listen too when I workout sometimes, those songs are aswome.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 ish minutes of research I really really like Loud Twin Stars. I always give a ton of respect to drummers who sing at the same time.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta

Lol whoever's screaming sounds like the vocalist from Arch Enemy.

not bad, but they aint no Boris

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falserelic: Hell yeah ! This song made the install more fun.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fistfulofmetal

@optix12 said:

5 ish minutes of research I really really like Loud Twin Stars. I always give a ton of respect to drummers who sing at the same time.

I did some...erm... research myself and found that the drummer's name is Hana and she's legit. She's in another band called Gacharic Spin where she does a lot of the singing

Loading Video...

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No thanks. There is nothing interesting about the instrumentals to make up for the fact that I can't understand the lyrics.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By penguindust

You should check out a Japanese all-girl band named Scandal.

Loading Video...

I first encountered them because one of their songs wound up as an end-credits song for Bleach, but like a lot of bands who have their music featured in anime, they have a good songbook away from the TV shows. [Example][Example][Example]

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fistfulofmetal

@penguindust:

That was pretty ok. However that's more Modern Rock. I'm into more Heavy Metal, which is what DOLL$BOXX seems to be going for. Thanks for the recommendation though!

Joe_Wildheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fistfulofmetal It's catchy as hell. Definitely will be listening to more of these. Got anymore bands like this will then I will definitely give them a listen.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not my thing, but fascinating =)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Sounds like something from an intro of an action anime.

This and

It almost sounds like A Day To Remember.. Or something..

This. Well, kinda. Like ADTR, but with poppy Japanese alternative rock instead of poppy American punk. Also not as good.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am strictly pro Girl Band Japanese Pop Power Metal

...but I'll say anything to get elected.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Aetheldod

I actually thought you were talking about Baby Metal ..... need to see this vids.

Edit: Meh .... not horrible but nothing cool or anything.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Vonocourt

@animasta said:

Which is a good thing, not that many bands can make that level of pretension and experimentation work. Amplifier Worship is really dope though.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well I mean, they ain't no Oreskaband, Chatmonchy, or Vanilla Mood but they aight.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HerbieBug

Yep, this is all pretty rad. :D

I like all of these components individually so i don't think it would be possible for me to dislike the combination.

edit--- I now have a lifelong crush on Doll $ Boxx drummer. Cowbell. ♥ Hana is way too attractive. She's a cute Japanese girl (awesome), who wears glasses (awesome), who is in a band (awesome), who by the sounds of it can actually sing (awesome), and plays drums (awesome), and plays said drums pretty damn well (holy shit). And she has a cowbell on her drum rack. What the fuck lady this is too much sexy for one single person. O____O

killerklown907

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I actually thought you were talking about Baby Metal ..... need to see this vids.

Edit: Meh .... not horrible but nothing cool or anything.

there is a disappointing lack of BABYMETAL in this thread indeed.

Loading Video...

fixed.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HerbieBug

I went to youtube to see if I could find any live recordings of Doll$Boxx. I was curious to what extent they are a studio band moreso than a well rounded live one, and it seems they are all decent musicians with the drummer and pianist being the standouts. Guitarist is iffy but otherwise I'm really impressed. Here's an audio only recording of them doing some sort of jam session during a concert. The first minute is the worst bit and it gets better after that. Guitar is out of tune. Audio is crap but you get the idea:

Loading Video...

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing I can really find is hitting the right combination for me. I may check out the lead singers other band Light Bringer since I believe that's more Power Metal which I think is the key.

thevisitor451

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was actually enjoyable. I tend to like those Anime theme sounding vocals though.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's kinda good, I think? A weird j-power-pop-pun with a some kinda out of place metal vocals.

I could probably dig this.

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

It's kinda good, I think? A weird j-power-pop-pun with a some kinda out of place metal vocals.

I could probably dig this.

What sucks is that they have only 1 album. And their style seems unique to themselves so I'm left with listening to this one album over and over. and over. for the rest of my life.

Loading Video...

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I often find Asian pop music to be contrived ... like I get the the straight J- or K-pop stars because they have an endearing quality to them, but when they venture into anything else it sounds like a band put together by a committee. There's nothing organic about them. If they were American girls people would laugh at them or claim they were trying too hard...

I dunno, that's my two cents.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often find Asian pop music to be contrived ... like I get the the straight J- or K-pop stars because they have an endearing quality to them, but when they venture into anything else it sounds like a band put together by a committee. There's nothing organic about them. If they were American girls people would laugh at them or claim they were trying too hard...

It's the 'straight j or k-pop stars' that are put together by agencies though...

fistfulofmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fistfulofmetal

OK GUYS. The lead singers other band Light Bringer is basically this, but STRAIGHT UP POWER METAL.

I've found my fix.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

For whatever reason, I find this relevant:

Loading Video...

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fistfulofmetal: I hadn't really thought about this style of music working, but I guess it can... I've followed many of the more well known power metal bands for awhile, I couldn't see me adding this in particular to a playlist. But, I could understand the appeal. That said Galneryus is japanese powermetal band, but its not female focused. They are pretty good though.

Loading Video...

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Horny?

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

Speaking of Arch Enemy:

Loading Video...

Chris Amott did the solo. :)

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Melt Banana

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do also appreciate how the japanese still follow proper metal song structure by having full guitar solos in pretty much all their songs. America has lingered away from that a bit.

I love japanese music. All their songs kinda go with a 'cheesy' chordal progression with their songs but I like it. I don't call it cheesy myself but that's what most musicians I hear call it, for lack of a better term.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@alexw00d said:

@pandabear said:

It's the 'straight j or k-pop stars' that are put together by agencies though...

Oh yeah totally... I know. But I feel they are more transparent about it. The rest feel manufactured to appear real.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By stonyman65

That's not bad really. It's a shame I can't understand Japanese though so I have no idea what they are singing about.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

I do also appreciate how the japanese still follow proper metal song structure by having full guitar solos in pretty much all their songs. America has lingered away from that a bit.

I love japanese music. All their songs kinda go with a 'cheesy' chordal progression with their songs but I like it. I don't call it cheesy myself but that's what most musicians I hear call it, for lack of a better term.

Yeah, I agree with that. Lots of Major chord progressions, everything sounds so happy. In contrast, most metal is written mostly in Minor keys so it sounds sad and angry.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AlKusanagi

BABYMETAL is where it's at. And all there stuff is even on US iTunes.

Also, the all girl metal band Aldious is pretty badass.

Trainer_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do they all look like they're 10?

... ermm.. anywho, not really my type of music. Kind of gives me a headache.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By zero_

I've had my fair share of JPOP/JROCK over the years - I really got into it at one point. I don't think this is anything too different - OP, if you like this, give maybe Maximum the Hormone a listen. The drummer in this band is also a chick who does backing vocals. (You're gonna have to give that video a bit of a chance, you don't see the band until 1/2 way through or so).

Loading Video...

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

at Babymetal I think only one song is really good and that is the first one. Everything i have heard of them after that is really not that good. The idea back than was interesting though^^

Loading Video...

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually really grooving on this. After having listened to pretty much everything they have so far (one album?), my biggest critique is the guitar tone lacks, well, "balls". Normally listening to power metal grates on me after a while cause it's always in a major key, but I guess the J-Pop sensibilities just blast me through it. The solo section on Merrily High Go Round is a highlight with it's high-octane drum syncopation, ostinato keyboard lick, and a guitar solo that's legit as hell. Genuine well-crafted songwriting on that bit.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ugh, this is just all kinds of awful...but whatever, to each his own.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most famous bands ar pt together that way but with idol groups in japan it is really extreme. But there are a lot of great "normal" bands in Japan and Korea. For example this one.

Loading Video...