Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By EdIsCool

• Abdelbaset al-Megrahi released on compassionate grounds
• Decision by Scottish government is condemned in Washington

from guardian.co.uk : 
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/aug/20/lockerbie-bomber-released

Its a difficult decision but one I fully agree with.Very few of the scottish families believe he did it.He has always protested his innocence.He's dying he should be allowed go home.If he did it, (he was imprisioned for it )then he showed his victims no compassion but that is no grounds to show him none.
Thoughts?
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Personally, I don't think he did it, but that is irrelevant. He was convicted of it in a court of law, and once he is convicted, he is legally guilty, and therefore should have to serve his sentence. Someone convicted of killing nearly 300 people should die in prison

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't like these news at all. A man who killed (at least sentenced as killing) almost 300 people and showing no remorse for it is not someone I would want to be free. The fact is, Scotland is showing his compassion when he showed none. So, opposite of what the TC said. I don't agree with the decision and find it to be a bad move for Scotland. Various parts of the interwebz agree (can't find a specific poll, found one earlier.).

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Suicrat
BBC World News has been reporting this story in a very bizarre fashion. The way they've summed up the political interests involved (and the lack of a formal role for the UK) makes it sound like White Hall wants to pull a Turks and Caicos on Scotland.
Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#5  Edited By Soap

It's an intresting case, and there are still to this day a lot of ideas of what happened. I personally don't think he was responsible.. but thats my own opinion and I don't judge others for thinking differently. He's going to die soon anyway, so it's not as if he is off to strike terror around the world is it?

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EdIsCool
@Suicrat said:
" BBC World News has been reporting this story in a very bizarre fashion. The way they've summed up the political interests involved (and the lack of a formal role for the UK) makes it sound like White Hall wants to pull a Turks and Caicos on Scotland. "
Great story thanks for the link.Yeah its very embarrassing for the English.Being a hairy celt Im delighted that Scotland has shown some independence.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@Meltbrain said:
" @MattyFTM said:
" Personally, I don't think he did it, but that is irrelevant. He was convicted of it in a court of law, and once he is convicted, he is legally guilty, and therefore should have to serve his sentence. Someone convicted of killing nearly 300 people should die in prison "
So what you're saying is that regardless of whether a suspect is guilty or innocent the sentence given should be carried out in full regardless of responsibility? That sounds kinda bananas, Matty!   I definitely agree the person convicted of killing that many people should spend their life until death in prison, but I also believe you should definitely have the right guy(s) who are responsible at the highest levels. "
All I'm saying is if someone is convicted of a crime, they should serve the sentence. Whether I think they did it or not is irrelevant, they have been convicted in a court of law, and they should serve their time. If they go through appeals processes and get the conviction overturned, then that's fine, they should be released, but a convicted criminal should not be released because they are dying, they should die in prison.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EdIsCool

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_Six  2 appeals turned down, finally proved innocent also the Guildford Four.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guildford_4
The law makes mistakes.But I take his point if you are not dying or ancient like Ronnie Biggs you should stay in jail until an appeal is successful.Its not a terrific system but its the best we have

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Hamz

Considering the fact Megrahi is going to be die from Cancer sometime soon. I think it was the right decision to make. The man will not have the pleasure of living out the rest of his life to a ripe old age under house arrest, he'll be living the rest of his life medicated and probably in some discomfort under house arrest. He has cancer and I think some people forget that those with terminal cancer usually spend the last weeks of their life in either tremendous pain or under the influence of so much medication they haven't a clue what is going on.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

I don't know...I feel extremely conflicted about this news.

AnimalFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13  Edited By AnimalFather

Arab terrorists can do whatever they want as long as they are from a Arab country that sells oil to the west.

Avatar image for primevilkneivel
PrimevilKneivel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PrimevilKneivel

If he was innocent that should be worked out in the courts. The legal process is not perfect but as close as we can currently manage and is biased toward protecting the innocent.  If he trial was flawed that needs to be rectified for everyone's sake not just the defendants. 

Letting him go on compassionate grounds is wrong. That is saying screw the legal system, he's dying. He was sentenced to life in prison, that means you die there. If he was up for parole and earned it, fine. But don't toss out the system because you feel bad for a man that, beyond a reasonable doubt, sent hundreds of people to a cold watery grave to scare the rest of us for his ideological beliefs. We need to stand up to people like that and show them we are better and stronger than them. This send the opposite message. 

Myxomatosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Myxomatosis
@EdIsCool said:
" @Suicrat said:
" BBC World News has been reporting this story in a very bizarre fashion. The way they've summed up the political interests involved (and the lack of a formal role for the UK) makes it sound like White Hall wants to pull a Turks and Caicos on Scotland. "
Great story thanks for the link.Yeah its very embarrassing for the English.Being a hairy celt Im delighted that Scotland has shown some independence. "

Why is it embarrassing for the English? It was Scotland's decision and they made one that was condemned by most of the Western World, I don't understand why the English are being dragged into this...
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho

I don't know why people are assuming he'll be welcomed home with open arms. He'll probably be a pariah. I mean, he's not going to a beach resort to live out his days. On the other hand, people have survived 'fatal' illnesses and if he did, he couldn't be re-convicted and now there would be a mass murderer living his life a free man.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Black_Raven
@ryanwho said:
" I don't know why people are assuming he'll be welcomed home with open arms. He'll probably be a pariah. I mean, he's not going to a beach resort to live out his days. On the other hand, people have survived 'fatal' illnesses and if he did, he couldn't be re-convicted and now there would be a mass murderer living his life a free man. "
He was welcomed  home as a hero....

I say for a guy that killed nearly 300 people dieing in unimaginable agony all alone in a cell is nothing more than he deserves.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EdIsCool

how nice...

Johno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Johno10

I don't believe that  Abdelbaset al-Megrahi was guilty. It was a cover up by the US, Iran was responsible and simply blamed libya.  Now today, while the US are saying it was a mistake to let him go, they aren't exactly creating a s**t storm over this, after all they want in with gadaffi because his country is sitting upon a vast oil supply.

The evidence against al-Megrahi was only cirumstancial, and never concrete.