Avatar image for ironstarktonyman
IronStarkTonyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By IronStarkTonyMan

Thank you everyone who suggested me games and friend requested me on steam. There comes a time i8n everyones life where they look back on all on their accounts and money and such, i did the same the other day. I have a bit of money saved up lets just say and in the next coming months i plan to save more. Thats right i plan on moving out of my parents house and getting my own apartment. Someone who is very very close to me helped me plan out all of the money and moving options and has even suggested me some places to stay. I thank her alot for helping me :). Now is where i come to you all, the giant bomb community, for questions. What was it like the first time you moved someplace, and what types of things did you deem important to take with you as a gamer and as a person moving out the first time?

Avatar image for ironstarktonyman
IronStarkTonyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By IronStarkTonyMan

Thank you everyone who suggested me games and friend requested me on steam. There comes a time i8n everyones life where they look back on all on their accounts and money and such, i did the same the other day. I have a bit of money saved up lets just say and in the next coming months i plan to save more. Thats right i plan on moving out of my parents house and getting my own apartment. Someone who is very very close to me helped me plan out all of the money and moving options and has even suggested me some places to stay. I thank her alot for helping me :). Now is where i come to you all, the giant bomb community, for questions. What was it like the first time you moved someplace, and what types of things did you deem important to take with you as a gamer and as a person moving out the first time?

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kelbear

A lot of research was involved. There are a lot of small things you forget about that you'll miss, like where is the gas station, supermarket, best way to get to work. Don't forget to change the address on your credit cards, subscription services, driver's license, and register the change of address at the post office. When you pack, you always have more stuff than you think you have. When you cram stuff in the moving van, you usually have more space than you think you do...if you load it correctly. 

Don't forget www.mint.com or similar budgeting programs. The vast vast majority of people only have the vaguest idea of what their real finances are like. They don't know what their fixed/recurring expenses are, and what are the unusual circumstance expenses. Far more forget to budget for the totally unforeseen circumstances.   Use Mint and train mint, and eventually it's labeling and tracking everything for you with nice easy to understand graphs.

By the way, the time to start saving for retirement is when you get your first job. You probably can't save much early on and that's ok, the important thing is to at least start doing it. Due to the way compound interest works, your first dollars are worth way way more than the dollars you make later on. Save now so you don't have to save as hard later on.  For the gamers, it's like putting 50 mineral into an SCV in the early game, vs just holding 50 mineral idle. When you have the 50 mineral working for you, you make even more mineral. Pushing economy in the early game makes you rich in the mid-late game. Blow all of it in the short term and forget to invest it, and you'll be behind on resources and have to invest even more to catch up in the late-game. Make your money work for you so you don't have to work so hard.