My thoughts on Valentine's day.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By AlexW00d

As you all are probably aware, if not by the constant barrage of advertising or the fact that you may actually have yourself a life partner, Valentine's day is just around the corner.  

Just before I get into this, I would like to make it clear that I am not of these opinions because I am sad and lonely, I have had the same standing whether I have had myself a lady at the time or not.  

Firstly, and probably mostly obvious by now, the media have ransacked this commemoration, much like most, and it is largely about how much money you spend on one another, or at least that is how it is portrayed so people spend, spend, spend. This can be seen in such advertisements you find absolutely everywhere you look; in newspapers you'll find advertisements encouraging you to spend hefty amounts of money on things on no real meaning, for instance, on my way home through town this afternoon I saw one praising a mobile phone as a 'perfect present for your valentine'. Now call me old fashioned, but why on Earth would a mobile phone hold any real meaning like a valentine's day gift should do. And if it isn't meaningless expenditure like such, it is tacky heart shaped chocolates, or pink fluffy slippers, or other novelties that have no real meaning, yet are shrouded in falsified gestures of love and caring. Whatever happened to people taking some time and thinking about it? 

Secondly, it seems to have become all about the females in relationships. Now i'm not going to get into any 'well Women like lovey dovey crap and Men don't' points as that is not what I am saying. What I am saying though, is why can't a Man care? If the day is meant to be about showing love to one another why does there have to be a focus on one side? Now this may be down to the people I am around at this time of the year, but just being in shops surrounded by people shopping gives off the same feeling. 

My main point though, is why does the act of showing your partner how much you love him or her have to be consigned to one particular day? Why can't it be every day? Well, not every day as that would then become the normal and kind of expected, but I expect you understand my point. Acts of such kindness and love should be far more sporadic and not happen on specific days, especially not the same specific days as everyone else. 

Now, I think I have burnt myself out with all this writing, hence why each paragraph became increasingly shorter. I hope it is coherent, as I am pretty bad at writing out my thoughts for others to understand. 

OH, and also, just as sort of an escape clause, I am not saying this is true of every body, this is just what I have noticed in the people around me and in many different forms of media, as I know full well someone is likely to take something out of context and blow it out of proportion as this, after all, is the internet.  

Thank you if you read this, and I don't blame you if you don't get to the end.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AlexW00d

As you all are probably aware, if not by the constant barrage of advertising or the fact that you may actually have yourself a life partner, Valentine's day is just around the corner.  

Just before I get into this, I would like to make it clear that I am not of these opinions because I am sad and lonely, I have had the same standing whether I have had myself a lady at the time or not.  

Firstly, and probably mostly obvious by now, the media have ransacked this commemoration, much like most, and it is largely about how much money you spend on one another, or at least that is how it is portrayed so people spend, spend, spend. This can be seen in such advertisements you find absolutely everywhere you look; in newspapers you'll find advertisements encouraging you to spend hefty amounts of money on things on no real meaning, for instance, on my way home through town this afternoon I saw one praising a mobile phone as a 'perfect present for your valentine'. Now call me old fashioned, but why on Earth would a mobile phone hold any real meaning like a valentine's day gift should do. And if it isn't meaningless expenditure like such, it is tacky heart shaped chocolates, or pink fluffy slippers, or other novelties that have no real meaning, yet are shrouded in falsified gestures of love and caring. Whatever happened to people taking some time and thinking about it? 

Secondly, it seems to have become all about the females in relationships. Now i'm not going to get into any 'well Women like lovey dovey crap and Men don't' points as that is not what I am saying. What I am saying though, is why can't a Man care? If the day is meant to be about showing love to one another why does there have to be a focus on one side? Now this may be down to the people I am around at this time of the year, but just being in shops surrounded by people shopping gives off the same feeling. 

My main point though, is why does the act of showing your partner how much you love him or her have to be consigned to one particular day? Why can't it be every day? Well, not every day as that would then become the normal and kind of expected, but I expect you understand my point. Acts of such kindness and love should be far more sporadic and not happen on specific days, especially not the same specific days as everyone else. 

Now, I think I have burnt myself out with all this writing, hence why each paragraph became increasingly shorter. I hope it is coherent, as I am pretty bad at writing out my thoughts for others to understand. 

OH, and also, just as sort of an escape clause, I am not saying this is true of every body, this is just what I have noticed in the people around me and in many different forms of media, as I know full well someone is likely to take something out of context and blow it out of proportion as this, after all, is the internet.  

Thank you if you read this, and I don't blame you if you don't get to the end.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Sin4profit

that's a lot of readin just to say it's a marketing ploy.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexW00d
@Sin4profit said:
" that's a lot of readin just to say it's a marketing ploy. "
Well I would have got into what should be the traditional approach to the whole thing, but that would make me a hypocrite as I feel we shouldn't 'celebrate' it at all.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

If you wind the woman/man you love,then it dosen't really matter if its v-day or any other day of the year,you love them,they love you life is awesome. So i don't give any importance to v-day.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

I think the best thing you can do for valentines day, without spending much unnecessary money on commercial bullcrap: 

Take her out for a nice goddamn dinner. Or make her one. With champagne. You can't get away without spending a dime, but at least it's not cheesy chocolates or jewellery, some such crap.  

Alternatively, you could craft something nice for her, to show your love without spending any money. Plus if it's actually nice, she'd appreciate the work put into it. 

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By danimal_furry

I totally get your point of view, as it is shared by a lot of people I know. I am going to give mine. 

I don't always make a big deal out of Valentine's Day. I think it is completely over commercialized, and has become about just giving people gifts. It should be more about refocusing on the relationships with those you love. However a person chooses to do so is up to themselves.
Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Marcsman

Clearly you are not getting laid this Sunday or Monday.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By keyhunter

I've not once in my lifetime celebrated valentines day. 
It usually ends badly if I'm courting someone. Those people are idiots though, obviously.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By iam3green
@Marcsman said:
" Clearly you are not getting laid this Sunday or Monday. "
it made me laugh. it's true, i know i'm not getting laid any time soon. 

i actually just saw a commercial for strawberry covered in chocolate. i know what you mean man. i've been single my entire life with no girls. it's great though. i don't have a to worry about girl problems and drama.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Snipzor

I usually just use Valentine's Day as the opportunity to get away with flirting with other guys, and it totally works every time. I don't quite know anyone who thinks it's a day where people totally remind their partner that they wuuuuuv each udder (D'awww).

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fwylo

I plan on getting laid tonight.  I'll keep you updated.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says

For me Valentines Day is always about people claiming how they think Valentines Day is a sham and you should love your woman everyday. 

other than that so far the only valentines related thing I've seen is that The Office episode where Michael and Holly are back together.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By FlyingRat

I totally agree.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

I've ignored Valentine's Day a few times in my 19 years of marriage. Not a good move. Just saying. 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman

I agree that everything about Valentines day has gotten a bit out of control. It's just a cultural thing though. Yes it's dumb, but so is every other holiday. Just enjoy it for what it is, and don't spend too much money.  :P

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Brendan

This argument has been done to death, and it's not going to change anything.  It's like complaining about Christmas:  It may be shallow, but it's super-glued to the fabric of society.  

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By TheMustacheHero

TL;DR?

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@Sin4profit said:
"that's a lot of readin just to say it's a marketing ploy. "

hahah pretty much, but it was a good read nonetheless. 
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By Afroman269
@Marcsman said:
" Clearly you are not getting laid this Sunday or Monday. "
I hope you're joking because it's pathetic that anyone's response to someone not liking valentine's day goes along the lines of.......haha someone isn't getting sex. So sad. 

@JJWeatherman said:
" I agree that everything about Valentines day has gotten a bit out of control. It's just a cultural thing though. Yes it's dumb, but so is every other holiday. Just enjoy it for what it is, and don't spend to much money.  :P "
Basically this. It also helps to just not bother with watching television where you are bombarded by crap loads of ads to make you spend money for valentine's day.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By armaan8014

I was gonna make a girl I like a sketch of me and her, cuz i'm pretty good at sketching and she loves my sketches. But suddenly she's with some other guy so I'm just gonna sit at home like all v-days :\

Maotou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Maotou
 I'm going to just agree with you on all those points since that basically matches up with how I see Valentine's day. Good read though I got to say.
spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spudtastic

It's a phony, commercialized day. Who wants to drop big bucks right after Christmas, and with tax time looming over the horizon? Also, crappy weather in many lands is a good reason to stay indoors, not venture out for nightlife.Likely, the other 364 days play a larger role in what kind of day you'll have on 2-14 (14-2 IN UK)

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AlexW00d
@JJWeatherman said:
" I agree that everything about Valentines day has gotten a bit out of control. It's just a cultural thing though. Yes it's dumb, but so is every other holiday. Just enjoy it for what it is, and don't spend too much money.  :P "
Definitely the best approach tbf. 

@Maotou said:
"  I'm going to just agree with you on all those points since that basically matches up with how I see Valentine's day. Good read though I got to say. "
@Bloodgraiv3 said:
" @Sin4profit said:
"that's a lot of readin just to say it's a marketing ploy. "
hahah pretty much, but it was a good read nonetheless.  "
Thank you both. 

@armaan8014
said:
" I was gonna make a girl I like a sketch of me and her, cuz i'm pretty good at sketching and she loves my sketches. But suddenly she's with some other guy so I'm just gonna sit at home like all v-days :\ "
Awwh that would have been a great idea.