My Top 10 JPOP Songs of 2013

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

While my musical enjoyment of 2013 was mostly defined by my newfound love of KPOP, I also spent a great deal of time listening to JPOP. Sadly, it’s a bit hard to be a JPOP fan in comparison: many of the music videos can’t be found on Youtube (although this is slowly changing), there is way less production value and enthusiasm on average, and the songs can often sound very similar. Even with these handicaps, I still found that I enjoyed a great deal of this year’s releases, so I thought I’d write out a list of my ten favorites and post them here (to go with my KPOP thread). Catchiness was easily the biggest deciding factor—in both which songs made it on the list and placement on said list—as that’s what I favor most. Occasionally, the videos themselves did have a small impact, but I tried to focus solely on those songs I think are my favorites. Also note that I could only feature things I actually heard; there’s a lot more JPOP out there that I didn’t have time to listen to. I hope everyone enjoys my choices!

Also, sorry for the video spam!

10. Romance Is On Its Way – Juice=Juice

Romance Is On Its Way is a sound pop song, if not a little predictable. I particularly enjoy the chorus—that clapping part is pretty great—and the bit near the end without singing where the composition is allowed to do its own thing. It feels a bit inconsistent, vocally, but that is likely due to the girls’ inexperience more than anything else (this is the group’s first year). The choreography in this video is sketchy in spots with members dancing very out of sync and without much excitement or skill. Production values are also not great, as the whole video takes place on a static, boring set. I usually turn on the video and listen to the audio, because I don’t feel the visuals add anything to the experience. Still, it’s a song I really enjoy listening to. Juice=Juice is a group I’m interested to see grow and mature over the next year or two.

Also from Juice=Juice: Hug Me Before I Ask You To

9. Living Alone in the City – C-ute

It’s the composition of Living Alone in the City that makes me like it. The girls do a decent job singing over the beat, but they never seem to match the energy of the instrumentation. I also admit that there’s something about the almost lazy attitudes of the girls in this video that keeps me coming back for more. It feels as if they didn’t realize that the video cameras were actually rolling, opting to save their energy for the real take. Maybe I’m being a little harsh—the choreography is well-executed and I find that donut part absolutely adorable for some reason—but I am constantly amused at how disinterested the group seems to feel. Still, it’s a fun song, which is the part that counts in my book.

8. Denden Passion – Denpagumi.inc

Man, this group’s songs make me feel like I need a nap after every listen. Denden Passion features a ridiculous amount of energy in both the singing and the dancing that demands every last bit of your focus and attention. This song is four minutes of catchy, adorable intensity that I guarantee will get stuck in your head. I particularly like how each member of this group sounds quite distinct from the others, something you don’t always find with these girl groups. As for the video, it’s just as flashy as the girls’ personality and shot with maximum cuteness in mind. Plus, how many music videos can you name with streamer choreography? This group’s work is definitely a guilty pleasure, but I find myself not caring as I listen to their songs yet again.

Also from Denpagumi.inc: W.W.D.

7. Voice – androp

Voice is a great pop-rock song that has me singing the few words I understand for days after I hear it. Some of my favorite pop songs have the energy that this song has, demanding that I tap my feet to the beat and nod along. Is it the most well-executed pop-rock song this year? Probably not, especially with that simplistic main riff and occasionally dull vocals. I can’t help but love it for the way it gets stuck in my head. The video has a neat section I like too, where the band members are playing while crowd surfing and looking up at a camera. It’s a cool idea that I haven’t seen done elsewhere. This song feels like something I probably won’t listen to anymore after a few months, but I plan to keep it around while my enjoyment for it lasts.

6. kanden 18gou – D=Out

Kanden 18gou is a well put-together pop-rock song with interesting progression and riffs that manage to squirm their way deep into my subconscious and reappear at the worst times. I absolutely love the chorus, the guitar riffs, and that little bass solo near the end: more songs need bass solos! D=Out is what is categorized as a visual kei band—referring particularly to their androgynous looks and dancing and Final Fantasy hair/outfits—which is made very clear in the video. I have no problems with it, but I don’t find myself as enthralled as I am by other videos on this list. My enjoyment for this song is derived purely from the way it sounds. Still, I can be happy just listening and tapping my foot to the beat.

5. Ijime, Dame, Zettai – Babymetal

NOTE: This video technically came out in 2012, but the single didn’t actually release until January of this year. Because of this, I’m counting it as fair game.

Babymetal is a fascinating group, combining racing metal riffs with the sweet, girlish tones of Japanese pop. Some people don’t seem to like the contrast between these two genres of music, but I find the combination absolutely enthralling. Their songs manage to be metal songs that I don’t hate, likely thanks to the lack of screaming vocals. Ijime, Dame, Zettai is a perfect example of what I love about this group: fast-paced and exciting instrumentation pared with cutesy singing and dancing. The video itself is absolutely ridiculous, especially the dramatic segments where the girls aren’t singing, but in the best way possible. Where else are you going to see a metal video where two young Japanese girls pretend to rock out guitar solos on guitars that are nearly as tall as they are? Babymetal delivers something I hadn’t even known I wanted, and I can’t get enough of it.

Also from Babymetal: Megitsune

4. Sara Sara – Spitz

Sara Sara is a nice change of pace from the rest of my list: a slow song with a fantastic lead singer and a pretty tune. It’s rare for me to latch onto songs that don’t feature a fast-paced, memorable riff or a pounding beat, but I loved this song from the first time I heard it. It’s such a beautiful song that it makes me wish I understood Japanese better so I could interpret what was being said (looking up the lyrics is cheating!). Even still, I do my best to hum/sing along when I can follow it well enough to do so. The video isn’t anything special, just featuring the band playing in a recording studio. I like this choice, though, because it puts the focus on the song itself. This also means it’s one of those songs that I can enjoy no matter how I’m listening to it, video or no video.

3. Galaxy Supernova – Girls’ Generation

For those of you who aren’t aware, Girls’ Generation is a predominately Korean pop group (the first KPOP group I ever heard, in fact). In the last year, however, Girls’ Generation has shifted to a heavy focus on Japanese songs instead, expanding into a new market. For those fans of their Korean work, it’s been fairly depressing to go nearly a year without a new Korean release.

I almost didn’t want to include Galaxy Supernova on my list out of some silly grudge, but there was no way in hell I couldn’t. It’s such an energetic and catchy pop song that WILL get stuck in your head no matter how hard you try (helped by the easy-to-remember chorus). Even though the song is in Japanese, it features that intensity and instrumentation found more commonly in Korean pop songs. It demands your attention and pounds in your ears in a way that most Japanese songs seem to rarely match. Sadly, the video doesn’t quite match up, especially when compared to older Girls’ Generation videos. The choreography is superb as always, but it all takes place in a very static area with no cuts to other shots. Watch some of their Korean videos like I Got a Boy or Gee and you’ll wonder how this video came out so plain. Even with the flat video, Galaxy Supernova has to be called one of the best pieces of JPOP this year.

2. Mottai Night Land – Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

I didn’t really like Mottai Night Land when I first heard it (like most Kyary songs). It sounded grating and plain and nearly made me discard it as anything worth listening to a second time. I persevered, however, because I knew that it would grow on me. Each subsequent listen, however, drove it deeper and deeper into my brain, wrapping its creepy tentacles around the pleasure centers found within. Kyary’s cutesy voice and ear-pleasing cadences combine with the enjoyable composition to create a song that I have listened to many more times than I’d like to admit. If you don’t like it at first, I advise you to give it at least a second listen; you may find yourself liking it after all. The video is just as creative, colorful, and batshit crazy as her other videos. I could point out the crazier moments, but it’s really something you just have to see to understand. Enjoy your pop-infused Kyary nightmares!

Also from Kyary Pamyu Pamyu: Invader, Invader

1. Magic of Love & Sweet Refrain – Perfume

Try as I might, I could not get this down to a single song. Perfume is easily my favorite J-pop group, combining electronic and pop in a style that I can’t get enough of. Every new release from them brings me untold excitement and happiness, nearly bringing me to squeals of joy. I just could not decide on only one of their fantastic songs from this year, instead settling on a tie between two.

Magic of Love is such a fantastic song. I could listen to it for hours straight and not get tired of it. It’s easy to sing along to, even with my lackluster Japanese skills, and the composition is magical (pun not intended). I can’t really explain why I enjoy it so much, but it perfectly tickles all the pleasure centers in my brain, turning me into a giggling idiot every time I hear it. If I had to pick my favorite song across all types of music for the year, it would be this song. The video is pretty great too, featuring a colorful set and superb choreography: you won’t find another group that manages to dance in sync as well as these three girls.

Sweet Refrain, on the other hand, is a creative masterpiece, easily putting the video for Magic of Love to shame. The layers it has and the time it must have taken to craft the video are mind-boggling to think about. Every time I watch it, I notice something I had missed in previous viewings and am that much more impressed by the whole thing. The girls manage to impressively line up their dance moves and positioning even with the variety of shots and styles. They are also absolutely stunning in their outfits. I really enjoy the song too (just not as much as Magic of Love!). Perfume has an excellent composer who melds the pop vocals and beat with the wubby synth of an electronic song perfectly. It just isn’t quite as endorphin-releasing as Magic of Love.

As you can see, there was no way in hell I could make this choice. Both of these songs, and videos, are extraordinary. It’s no surprise to me that Perfume managed to not only top my list but did it twice! I can’t wait to see what my favorite group has in store for 2014!

Also from Perfume: 1mm

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Where's The Last of Us? This list is an outrage!

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm not brave enough to dive into the world of JPOP, but I'm thankful for this list. It'll help me get over not getting one of the 240 Sapphire Kobes.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

Whilst it's not pop at all I've been listening the shit out of this recently.

Loading Video...

Yay for Japan.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

That Girls' Generation song is pretty damn good.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This seems like a thread for @mcghee.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yay for Hello Project love! It was a pretty good year for them, other than Berryz Kobo kind of slumming it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

You didn't include AKB48. For that, you are a prince among men.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@subjugation: Hehe, thanks. Haven't listen to much Jpop since way back in the days of Kahimi Kari, Pizzicato 5 and Puffy Ami Yumi, but this is all cool to see.

@wemibelec90: Fun list and interesting listen. First time I've seen that new SNSD. Pretty good. Guess I'm still a little in love with Sunny and Taeyeon. lol

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I've been out of the loop for too long, I only know Spitz and Perfume from the list. Where's Shiina Ringo ? Where's Loudness ? Where's Hikawa Kiyoshi ?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@video_game_king: I HATE any groups that big. Nine or ten is my limit and that's pushing it, depending on the group. I like a bit of individuality, not just some huge group-sing where it's might as well be some choir group.

@sub_o: Never heard of any of those, but I definitely am not as on top of releases with JPOP as I am KPOP.

Neo_Influenza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Good choices! Juice=Juice had a strong debut, and C-ute's year was great too. Overall, it's been a good year for Hello!Project, also with their flagship group taking 3 weekly #1 singles in a row, but they have potential for a lot more.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@wemibelec90:

I was talking more about their music being crap.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Darji

No Superfly?....

But man I am out of this game far too long. I grew up Bz, Utada Hikau etc. Havent heard some newer JPOP in a while. But reccently I watched Mottai Niight Land Kyary Pamyu Pamyu a few days ago and man what do you have to take to come up with such a Music Video XD

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sub_o said:

I've been out of the loop for too long, I only know Spitz and Perfume from the list. Where's Shiina Ringo ? Where's Loudness ? Where's Hikawa Kiyoshi ?

Shiina Ringo, Loudness, and Kiyoshi Hikawa didn't have any albums or singles in 2013.

Also, while I am glad to see Kyary on there (I am an unapologetic Kyary fan and am going to her concert in March!) the real best JPOP song is actually not JPOP

Loading Video...

It is actually this whole album.

Loading Video...

And then this whole album.

But your list is good too, because it has Kyary but a suspicious lack of Kimura Kaela's new cover album. I'm sorry but if you don't want to listen to a Japanese singer cover Queen and A-HA and Funkytown well then you are probably bad person.

Seriously, she sings Take On Me and it is magical

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Darji
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mike

Reading this topic makes me want to start a poll on jpop and/or kpop. Personally I can't stand these genres but there are a lot of fans of this type of music on GB, I'm really curious as to what the split is.

I'm definitely not the best judge of this stuff because I can't stand American pop, either.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel

@sub_o said:

Oh, god. Loudness. I only know them from the soundtrack to the abysmal Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight. They even appear in a music video during the end credits of the film's original cut:

Loading Video...

And, of course, someone played this song in Audiosurf:

Loading Video...

(P.S.: Seriously, you can skip watching Odin. It's terrible!)

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I HATE any groups that big. Nine or ten is my limit and that's pushing it, depending on the group. I like a bit of individuality, not just some huge group-sing where it's might as well be some choir group.

For the 48 groups their songs are really just a vehicle to get the girls out there. There are actually a number of unit (around 2-4 members, sometimes more) and solo songs though. Most of it is standard idol/pop but they've got a catalogue of over 600 songs.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By johncallahan

While my musical enjoyment of 2013 was mostly defined by my newfound love of KPOP, I also spent a great deal of time listening to JPOP. Sadly, it’s a bit hard to be a JPOP fan in comparison: many of the music videos can’t be found on Youtube (although this is slowly changing), there is way less production value and enthusiasm on average, and the songs can often sound very similar. Even with these handicaps, I still found that I enjoyed a great deal of this year’s releases, so I thought I’d write out a list of my ten favorites and post them here (to go with my KPOP thread). Catchiness was easily the biggest deciding factor—in both which songs made it on the list and placement on said list—as that’s what I favor most. Occasionally, the videos themselves did have a small impact, but I tried to focus solely on those songs I think are my favorites. Also note that I could only feature things I actually heard; there’s a lot more JPOP out there that I didn’t have time to listen to. I hope everyone enjoys my choices!

Also, sorry for the video spam!

10. Romance Is On Its Way – Juice=Juice

Loading Video...

Now I will fully admit that I'm a bit of a newcomer to any kind of foreign pop (have a base knowledge but that's it). But I'll be god damned if this doesn't sound like the intro song to a new Persona game.

owack6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

As far as baby metal songs this is by far the best one in my opinion that dance during the chorus is so damn catchy!

I think you also picked the worse Perfume songs, magic of love is pretty good but is way better on the album mix, and i really cant say anything good about sweet refrain it is a B side at best for me.

Loading Video...

Clockwork and 1mm as you added are some of the best they released this year.

Was also quite disappointed by the new kyary song...but Nakata does have the ability to fix any song in the album mix so i wouldn't condemn that song comletly as it has its good parts.

Haven't heard that GG song yet it is damn catchy!