• 83 results
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

For all you whiskey drinkers out there, what's your favorite one? I usually buy Jack Daniels, but it's not really smooth going down. I did hear talk on one of the IGN podcasts about a whiskey they were drinking, but I completely forgot which podcast it was, or which whiskey.

So who can give me some advice on a nice, smooth, whiskey?

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fwylo

Crown Royal, duh.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By emkeighcameron

Whiskey.....MEDIA

duh

Twazuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Twazuk

I too would like some whiskey advice, what's a good gateway drink for non whiskey drinkers? 

davwad2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By davwad2

Gentleman Jack, from Jack Daniels.  Super smooth.  I've had a Whiskey Sour before, but it wasn't really my thing.  I prefer to drink my GJ with either coke or iced tea.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By penguindust

I used to drink Johnny Walker Black but there was a less expensive blended whiskey I enjoyed called "Black & White".  I know, purists will have my head for suggesting a blended whiskey, but it was still pretty good in mixed drinks like Rob Roys.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fwylo
@Twazuk:  Jack Daniels and Coke, Crown and Ginger
SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By SteamPunkJin

Jameson is decent - not so good with Whiskey as I am with Gin (to which there is one answer: Hendricks - don't mix it!)

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Baillie

JD & Coke is the best drink out there topped only by Sailor Jerry & Coke. (The old SJ)

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By endaround

In addition to making sure you know between bourbon (american whiskey , not all are technically bourbon), Irish and Scotch some really like Canadian.  Find a liquor store that sells 50 ml bottles and  buy a bunch of different types to see what you like.

composite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By composite

Gibson's Finest is a good whiskey. Older the better. We call it rye up in these parts. Rye whiskey. 

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JokerSmilez

Depends what kind of Whiskey (or Whisky) you like. The main types to concern yourself with:

Bourbon is American and made mostly from Corn - typically not quite as smooth, has a "bite".
Scotch is Scottish and made mostly from Barley - LOTS of varieties, with different characteristics depending on the region it from. Single malts are typically for drinking straight, blended for mixing, however Winston Churchill drank Johnny Walker Black straight.
Rye is (typically) Canadian and made mostly from well, Rye - kind of harsh, but in a good way.
Irish Whiskey is similar to Scotch but differences in the distilling process makes for a smoother drink.

Good Bourbons - Woodford Reserve (my fave), Maker's Mark, Eagle Rare (I know Brad drinks this)
Good Scotch - The Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Lagavulin, Glenmorangie, Johnny Walker Blue (but it's REALLY expensive, ie. $300+ a bottle) - if you find a Scotch you like, take note of what region it's from, as you'll likely like other quality Scotch's from the same region. Speyside, Islay, and Highland are the main ones, but there is also Lowland and Cambelltown.
Good Rye - Crown Royal, Gibson's Finest
Good Irish Whiskey - Jameson, Bushmills

JD is not exactly a sipping drink. You can (and certainly people do), but Jack is kind of renowned for it's "kick", making it an ideal shooter or mixer. If you're looking for something smooth, you're probably going to want to spend a little more - the better the quality, the smoother but more expensive. Jameson or Bushmills are a good bet for a quality smooth whiskey and they're not too expensive (similar to JD). Try out the standard stuff and if it's not smooth enough, try a more premium label (ie, older). Speyside Scotch would be another good choice, but more expensive. My fave is The Glenlivet 15. y.o. (also available in a 12 y.o. if you want to save some money). Lagavulin 16 y.o., an excellent Islay scotch, is a good choice for a fuller, more robust flavor.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zombie2011
@Twazuk: When i first started drinking Whiskey (Jack Daniels), i would pour about two shots in a glass then dilute it with a little water until i got used to the taste. Now i can guzzle whiskey like it was apple juice.
Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mmmslash
No Caption Provided
There is only one option. Be a poet, drink Johnnie Walker Red.
MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MikeFightNight
@Kazona said:
"For all you whiskey drinkers out there, what's your favorite one? I usually buy Jack Daniels, but it's not really smooth going down. I did hear talk on one of the IGN podcasts about a whiskey they were drinking, but I completely forgot which podcast it was, or which whiskey.  So who can give me some advice on a nice, smooth, whiskey? "

Well I am a Whiskey and Scotch drinker myself so I can tell you what I like.  For whiskey I drink Gentleman Jack, which is a whole lot smoother then regular JD and if you want to kick it up a notch from there, you can get Single Barrel JD, superb.  I also do perfer bourbon whiskey over rye, which is why I like JD. over let's say, Crown Royal  As for Scotch which is something any whiskey drinker should also like, I love me some Glenfiddich, basic 12 year old is great.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16  Edited By the8bitNacho
@emkeighcameron said:
" Whiskey.....MEDIA  duh "
This.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

Guess it's pretty base but I just really like Jack Daniels.

I have half a bottle of Johnny Walker Green that a friend bought me as a housewarming gift and that shit is super smooth but there's just somethin about that sour mash that does me real right.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JokerSmilez
@composite said:

" Gibson's Finest is a good whiskey. Older the better. We call it rye up in these parts. Rye whiskey.  "

The 18 year old smells like butterscotch and goes down like silk. Mmmm.

@ChristOnIce said:

" I take it that you're just starting.  If so, you should first differentiate between whiskey types; you might prefer bourbon, Scotch, or Irish.  A good starter bourbon is 1792 Ridgemont Reserve.  It's relatively cheap, and it's reasonably smooth.  While by no means high-end or special, it's a good cost/benefit bourbon.

For Irish, Middleton is a good start.  It's smooth and, while not cheap, it's not too expensive.  For Scotch, I love  Ardbeg Uigeadail.  It's an isla Scotch, so it's rather peaty.  Lovely flavor and incredibly smooth.  Its price ranges ridiculously from place to place and year to year.  A more reliable bet is Lagavulin.  It's not as good as Uigeadail, but still great.  These, though, are recommendations for drinking whiskey.  If you want cocktails, they'd be wasted.  Whiskey is extremely varied, but these mid-level suggestions should give you a cheap and easy way to determine your tastes and have a good comparison base. "

I don't know if I'd call Uigeadail "mid-level"...but excellent choice nonetheless. :)
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss
@SteamPunkJin said:
Hendricks
Possibly the coolest lookin bottle on the shelves too.
lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By lazyturtle

I 2nd the Maker's Mark. Theres some good info in this post..personally I love bourbon but hate scotch. Crown Royal and JD are fine for making cocktails, but they're not really the best for drinking straight.  

Also...this is incredibly important for all alcoholic beverages of quality..the proper glass is critical.  Some people like a highball, but a better glass would look like a tall brandy snifter (but a brandy snifter will do in a pinch too). This types of glasses are good because they capture the aroma of the drink..and about 75% of what you taste comes from aroma. 

Sirico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Sirico

Bulleit Bourbon awesome bourbon in a frontier bottle 

composite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By composite
@JokerSmilez said:
" @composite said:

" Gibson's Finest is a good whiskey. Older the better. We call it rye up in these parts. Rye whiskey.  "

The 18 year old smells like butterscotch and goes down like silk. Mmmm.

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar. 
Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Xakura

Dalwhinnie
DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DukesT3

If you want something really strong, get Buffalo Trace, very good whiskey but it will fuck you up very fast. 

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Gav47

I hate Jack Daniels, if you want a good whiskey to drink neat try Jameson Crested Ten

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Catarrhal

Another vote for Maker's Mark. In fact, some of you may remember that Ryan Davis once had a bottle of Maker's Mark on his desk in one of the Giant Bomb Mailbag videos; that's quite a bit more conspicuous than their typical stacks of energy drinks.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ajamafalous
@emkeighcameron said:
" Whiskey.....MEDIA  duh "
I came in to make this joke.

:/
lovecreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lovecreep

maker's mark is the best i have ever had 
Tirrandir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Tirrandir

If you're doing Johnny Walker, anything less than Green probably means you have a loose idea of what 'good' blended whiskey is.

Also, I still hold that Crown is overpriced trash.  

For single malt I go Glendronach or Laphroaig.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Getz
@lovecreep said:
" maker's mark is the best i have ever had  "
I'll drink to that my friend. Tamdhu scotch, at 20 dollars a bottle, is probably the greatest value in whiskey though.
Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hosstile17

Jameson.
Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Psych0Penguin

I recommend Famous Grouse, no ice

Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Voshterkoff
Thumbrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Thumbrunner

Jameson All the Way!

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JokerSmilez

I almost forgot, but to our European friends (cuz I've never seen it in North America), Vat 69. Pretty good stuff.

Voshterkoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Voshterkoff

For absolute smoothness,  Basil Hayden'.

generalmolotov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By generalmolotov

Not so into burbon myself. Prefer Irish Whiskey. 
I got this one called Clontarf for my birthday, haven't checked it out yet but whiskey drinking friends of mine recommends it. 
Also, starting out with Jameson on the rocks is an easy way to get accustomed to the general flavor (if such one exists).

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By jonnyboy

Bushmills is real nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-15136
deactivated-15136

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a reasonable price I vote Knob Creek as the best.  It's pretty smooth and not too expensive.  You can sip it with or without ice (neat) and it's pretty good.

lovecreep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lovecreep
@Getz: 
 that is true but if you are willing to drop some cash i'd go with the maker's mark
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Andheez

I always say theres no such thing as bad bourbon, only better bourbon.

Though there are a very few exceptions to this rule if you look hard enough.  All are great, I prefer Crown Royal or Jack Daniels straight up and I like Makers Mark with a dash of diet coke.  The high priced bottles are to your tastes.
If you want value I suggest   Evan Williams  , great drink for the price.

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ubiquitous

Whiskey sucks, drink rum!

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#44  Edited By Trilogy

Crown on the rocks or Jack and coke.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45  Edited By jakob187
@fwylo said:

" Crown Royal, duh. "

He said "good"...not "priced like it's supposed to be good". 

In terms of whiskey, I can't help you much unless you like scotch.  As far as bourbons go, I usually used Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey for mixing, Southern Comfort for shooting.

As far as whisky, I like scotch a lot.  In the scotch arena, I would suggest: 

Blended (mixing scotch)
  • Canadian Club - One of the most widely available blended whiskeys, and it's got a very smooth taste to it.  It's not really SCOTCH...but it plays a lot like one, so I'm listing it here...goddammit!
  • Johnny Walker - Red Label is pretty much purely for mixing.  Black Label is good for mixing or sipping.  Green Label is not something I would suggest.
  • Chivas Regal - It's a good "get-you-drunk" whisky.  Have it on the rocks, however, and give it at least a good five minutes to open up for some good flavor.

Single Malt (sipping scotch)
  • Glenlivet 12 - One of the most widely available single malt scotch whiskys, and a good introduction point to single malts in general.
  • Glenfiddich 15 Solera - Don't EVER try the 12 or 18 y/o.  They are not recommended at all.  The 15 is an incredible little treat, as it's made using a Solera vat process like they use with brandy and cognac.  It gives it a very distinct taste.
  • Aberlour 10 - It's a bit more stout than Glenlivet, but not as harsh as the Glenfiddich 15.  There's a good floral nose to this, and the taste lasts a good while after your sip.
  • Macallan 15 - I remember enjoying this one, although I felt it was a bit spirity in taste before strawing it (adding a couple dabs of water).  After the straw, it opened up a lot and was a very interesting whisky.  Definitely not a starting place, however.
  • Ardbeg 10 - This is the big daddy for me.  Ardbeg is a peat scotch, and it's NOT for the faint of heart.  If you are looking to put some goddamn hair on your balls, chest, and places you didn't even know existed, Ardbeg 10 is the place to be.  Uigeadail is my next place to go with this fine specimen of peated whisky, and I'm ready for the challenge.

Beyond that, I've only had one or two Irish whiskeys, and I wasn't too fond of how subdued their taste was. 

@JokerSmilez:  A FELLOW SCOTCH AFICIONADO!!!  YAY!!!  = D  I've yet to try Lagavulin, as I just found some in my town finally.  It's on my "to do" list...but I've been invested in my bottle of Glefiddich 15 and Ardbeg 10 as of late that I can't really bring myself to throw down on the Lagavulin yet.  Even then, the stuff at the local liquor store isn't the Cask Strength stuff (I think that's 12y, maybe 15, can't remember at the moment).  Therefore, I'll probably continue to hold off.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By sopranosfan

You all bourbon amateurs.  Woodford Reserve is the best.  I like Scotch but I haven't drunk enough to give a valid opinion on it but what I have drunk was good.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By Cube

Jim Beam.  

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jakob187
@sopranosfan: When I drank bourbon, it was purely because it was cheap and got me drunk.  My tastes have matured with age.  Hence, I don't drink bourbons. 

I would also suggest that if you want a great opinion on whiskey and whisky, you should check out Ralfy.  He does whiskey reviews all the way from Scotland on YouTube, and he helped get me started on my scotch adventures.  The man knows what the hell he's talking about, too! 

http://www.youtube.com/user/ralfystuff
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By sopranosfan
@jakob187: As of lately given the choice between comparable priced bourbon and scotch I will usually pick scotch and I have been trying it more lately but being from Kentucky people almost look at you as a traitor if you buy anything but Kentucky or Tennessee Bourbon.  I actually saw a brewmaster(is that what they call them) signing bottles 1 time.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jakob187
@sopranosfan: I would usually call them a distiller, but what tickles your fancy.  lol  I understand the dirty looks.  Being from Texas and still living here, bartenders look at me weird when I say "I need a dram of (insert scotch here)".  A lot of the bars around here don't even HAVE scotch that isn't Johnny Walker or Bushmill's.  Luckily, there's a nice little hole-in-the-wall here called Hemingway's Philosophy Bar, which has a consistent crowd of intelligent folks that aren't bumpkin rednecks (not that I have a problem with bars full of bumpkin rednecks) and actually have something of a selection.  They also happen to take my suggestions and stock good scotch rather than carrying a ton of crap...which they DID stock before I got there.  They still won't get any Islay stuff, though.  Say it's too expensive.  =  (