Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Kregan

Hi everyone, 

I have a bit of a weird request. 

I frequently visit the Neogaf forums, I've even applied twice in a year, but have yet to get accepted. I know they can be pretty uptight sometimes, but I really want to participate in some of the discussions they have there. 

So I'm wondering, is anyone here not using his account ? If so, would you be willing to part ways with it..? Maybe we could come up with some arrangements...? 

I've been trying to apply for so long, that I'm starting to lose hope that I'll ever get accepted. 

Thanks and have a good night.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#2  Edited By wefwefasdf

Are you crazy? I had to use my .edu email. Get your own! :P

Kregan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kregan
@SpikeSpiegel:  I used my educational email as well as my work email, which is game related. 

As I said, I applied twice.  

Thanks for your reply though :)
Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

What makes the Neogaf forums so special that you have to apply for them?

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By deanoxd

i can't help you out with this but i wanted to say i have never visited the the neogaf forums and i think i am a better person for it from what i understand them to be.

Kregan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Kregan
@CaLe:  

I applied at least a year ago with my educational email, and about 5 months ago (if I recall correctly) with my work email. 

I unfortunately do not have any other email to apply with, neither do I think that it will make a difference. I work in the game industry and used my work email, and I still didn't get in.    
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Afroman269

So Neogaf is just a bunch of elitists? Don't know what makes a site so special to do that.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By apathylad

What the? So is using NeoGaf like applying for an internship or something?

Kregan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kregan
@Afroman269: It's mostly to keep tabs on the number of subscribers, to prevent it from becoming too big and impossible to moderate. There's also alot of "popular" game devs that post there. 

I mean, yes it's very hard to get in, and you might even say "elitist", but still... I've been reading the forums for a long time and I'm starting to find it annoying that I can't post in them.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ch13696

I thought NeoGaf was some video game site.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By KaosAngel

Is this a serious thread? 

If you haven't gotten in, they more than likely don't want someone with your domain email going on NeoGAF.  Live with it.  

Who the hell asks for a forum account? 

9 posts on GB, and this is what you want.

Kregan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kregan
@Apathylad:  I woudn't go so far as to say that it's like applying for an internship, but due to the very large number of subscription requests they receive and the fact that they try to keep tab on the number of members... Well, it's really hard to get in. 

I'm also pretty sure that new members are only added after a certain number of old members are banned.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
" What makes the Neogaf forums so special that you have to apply for them? "
Exactly what I was thinking.

Secret internet communities hoozah!
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

I doubt that someone would be nice/dumb enough to give you their account info.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BraveToaster
@CaLe said:

" @Axxol said:

" I doubt that someone would be nice/dumb enough to give you their account info. "
Well I just gave him mine. It was going to waste anyway so someone might as well use it. "
Here's a Blow Pop! 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Diamond
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
The fact that you have to apply for them and then they'll ban you because you disagreed with the mod about how awesome his favorite game was.

If you're thinking about joining NeoGAF for discussion you have the wrong idea.  NeoGAF is good for one thing, news.  Might as well take yourself to /v/ for discussion.
Kregan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Kregan

I truly want to thank you CaLe, what you did was a wonderful act of kindness, from a gamer to another gamer. 

I am not sure why I got some hostile replies, it's not like I'm betraying Giant Bomb. Notice how I am a yearly member, which says more than some of you. 

I love Giant Bomb as much as the next guy, and I frequent the forums often too. I'm not sure how it bothers you that I'd like to participate in discussions in another forum. 

In any case, thanks again CaLe, I really appreciate it.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster
@CaLe said:

" @Axxol said:

" @CaLe said:

" @Axxol said:

" I doubt that someone would be nice/dumb enough to give you their account info. "
Well I just gave him mine. It was going to waste anyway so someone might as well use it. "
Here's a Blow Pop! 

"
Thanks, here's a hug! 

No Caption Provided
"
Here's me receiving my Cootie Shot. 

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EvilTwin
@Diamond said:
"If you're thinking about joining NeoGAF for discussion you have the wrong idea.  NeoGAF is good for one thing, news.  Might as well take yourself to /v/ for discussion. "
It's no worse than Giantbomb in my experience.  A lot easier to get banned, though.
SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk

I thought about getting into a few discussions there to deliver useful knowledge and corrections about my field (arcade collecting, 80's 90's Amiga gaming)  but dear lord some of those mods need to see psychiatrists..

I prefer paying $10 for a forum.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Kregan: I was just messing with you. haha Does Neogaf not accept all requests? I guess I just got lucky or something.
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NathHaw

Neogaf is a little like gmail used to be.

Kregan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kregan
@somejerk: Care to elaborate about the mods ? What were your bad experiences like ? 

@SpikeSpiegel: No problem :) Yup you got lucky indeed.  
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By fjordson

The NeoGAF hate is pretty perplexing.

I think it's a great forum. I've only been frequenting it for a few months now and just applied two months ago so I still have a while to wait, but it's almost always a good read. News updates faster than just about anywhere else, lots of hilarity in the off-topic section and the mega threads for new games are fantastic. You can bet money on being able to read first hand impressions on practically any game in those mega threads 3-4 days before the actual release date. There's always at least a handful of gaffers that manage to snag a copy.

Honestly, I would just wait it out with your original email. It took my friend two years and a month to get accepted. I'm 99 percent positive that it's literally just a massive queue that EviLore has to go through by himself every few months. They haven't had a massive Junior Member rush since January so maybe you'll get lucky soon.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By HydraHam
@Kregan said:
" @SpikeSpiegel:  I used my educational email as well as my work email, which is game related.  As I said, I applied twice.   Thanks for your reply though :) "
took them about a year to "accept/activate" my account i signed up for.. i literally forgot about it until i logged on my comcast email to see if anything important was in it, rarely check that email.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By frankxiv

I have never been to neogaf because they don't let you sign up with emails regular people use. i'd imagine from what everyone else is saying i'd have been banned by now for just thinking that though. 

also Fjordson's description of it just makes it sound like SA forums.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Diamond
@Fjordson said:

The NeoGAF hate is pretty perplexing.  I think it's a great forum. I've only been frequenting it for a few months now and just applied two months ago so I still have a while to wait, but it's almost always a good read. News updates faster than just about anywhere else, lots of hilarity in the off-topic section and the mega threads for new games are fantastic. You can bet money on being able to read first hand impressions on practically any game in those mega threads 3-4 days before the actual release date. There's always at least a handful of gaffers that manage to snag a copy.

But you realize everything you just said pertaining to gaming can basically be summed up as 'news'.  Nothing you said was about the indepth rational discussions and debates.  Nothing was the welcoming and open minded atmosphere.

The best part of NeoGAF has nothing to do with actually posting on it.  It's basically the number #1 gaming PR site on the net.  The whole atmosphere is pro-PR.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fjordson
@onimonkii:  SA is definitely the closest comparison I'd say, though I find GAF to be more active on average than the gaming section on SA. It's also a bit more diverse I think. There's tons of people into literally any type of game, movie, book, band, etc. over there.

And the mod presence really is overblown I think. As a Junior Member they can seem a bit harsh, but it really isn't anything ridiculous once you hit Member status.
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fjordson
@Diamond: I dunno, I enjoy reading a lot of the discussions over there. If it was just a matter of news then I'd never spend more than 10-15 minutes at a time there, but I've been on there before just reading various topics for hours.
error5305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By error5305

You must be at least this arrogant to post in our forum.

--------------------------------->

I subscribed here to support Whiskey media, not so people would give a shit what I say bc I have a medal around my avatar.  Yes that includes this post.

Chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chandu83
@KaosAngel said:
" Is this a serious thread?  If you haven't gotten in, they more than likely don't want someone with your domain email going on NeoGAF.  Live with it.   Who the hell asks for a forum account?  9 posts on GB, and this is what you want. "
Relax dude. Guy asked for something, don't have it, or don't want to share it, then let it go. No point in bragging about post count. Yeah we all know you got 9000 posts. Here is a cookie.
DoubleAgent50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DoubleAgent50

NeoGAF treats its members terribly.  If you post at that site, you are prey.  The truth is not nice.  The truth is not polite.  They treat their members terribly.  The mod / admin team sits behind its keyboards, looking to amuse themselves by banning your account.   NeoGAF has succeeded in SPITE of their misconduct, not because of something they did right.  And it doesn't stop there.  If you disagree with their politics, you're banned, permanently.  Not a 3 day ban, not a one month ban, you're banned permanently.  For a disagreement of opinion.

The slow account activations?  Everyone who knows the staff knows the real reason for the slow activations.  They hate their members.  Nothing frightens them more than the idea that a banned individual could re-register.  They stall new registrations deliberately so that there's no chance anyone can come back in. 

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Claude
@DoubleAgent50 said:
" NeoGAF treats its members terribly.  If you post at that site, you are prey.  The truth is not nice.  The truth is not polite.  They treat their members terribly.  The mod / admin team sits behind its keyboards, looking to amuse themselves by banning your account.   NeoGAF has succeeded in SPITE of their misconduct, not because of something they did right.  And it doesn't stop there.  If you disagree with their politics, you're banned, permanently.  Not a 3 day ban, not a one month ban, you're banned permanently.  For a disagreement of opinion.  The slow account activations?  Everyone who knows the staff knows the real reason for the slow activations.  They hate their members.  Nothing frightens them more than the idea that a banned individual could re-register.  They stall new registrations deliberately so that there's no chance anyone can come back in.  "
So says DoubleAgent50, so it must be true.
endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By endless_void
@OwnlyUzinWonHan:   @Bloodgraiv3:

-game developers post there on a usual basis
-The forums are extremely active and discussion is sorted out very well
-Lots of leaks appear first on neogaf
-It's the first video game forum to have gotten popular evar. They have a crazy old history.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
"What makes the Neogaf forums so special that you have to apply for them? "

I would like to know this aswell. 
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ArchScabby

I think the fact that you have to apply just to post on their site means it's a site, and people that I don't want to be around.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Enigma777

@Diamond said:

" @OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
The fact that you have to apply for them and then they'll ban you because you disagreed with the mod about how awesome his favorite game was.  If you're thinking about joining NeoGAF for discussion you have the wrong idea.  NeoGAF is good for one thing, news.  Might as well take yourself to /v/ for discussion. "
This man speaks the truth. The mods are so anal over there it's not even funny. If you don't have 300 posts, you get banned for absolutely anything. Just read their stupid FAQ.  
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

Sounds weird. I hate the idea of applying to a website. If they don't want the traffic, fine. 

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By endless_void
@Enigma777: It's because they have so many damn users, look at how many users are viewing their forums right now (statistics tab on their site). About 3000 people. O-O
Sadaiyappan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sadaiyappan

I've got an account believe it or not.  But I was temporarily banned for ripping into PC games and Blizzard.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Enigma777
@endless_void said:
" @Enigma777: It's because they have so many damn users, look at how many users are viewing their forums right now (statistics tab on their site). About 3000 people. O-O "
That's a bullshit excuse. You get banned for posting a picture uploaded to Imageshack or simply mentioning certain websites. That's simply retarded and has nothing to do with the amount of users they have.
Sadaiyappan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Sadaiyappan

I actually have an account on a lot of ridiculous websites, and most of them I use the same handle: Sadaiyappan

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By endless_void
@Enigma777: I've never gotten banned for posting images and i have about 30 posts on there
Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Enigma777
@endless_void: like I said they have to be uploaded to certain websites (like tinypic I think). IF they're not and a mod catches you (and they will) kiss your ass goodbye cause you'll be getting permabanned, no questions asked. 

It's a Nazi regime.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By CL60

NeoGAF, terrible place.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have to use my fancier email-adresses?! Fuck that shit.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By BabyChooChoo
@ArchScabby said:
" I think the fact that you have to apply just to post on their site means it's a site, and people that I don't want to be around. "
Yeah, this.
endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By endless_void
@Enigma777: I love da nazis lawlzorszzzzzz har har har
Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Insectecutor

I don't have a GAF account but as an SA goon I will say that having accounts that come at some price (either monetary like on SA or persistence or whatever it is that gets you into GAF) makes everything posted worth a little more. You think more about your posts, you obey the rules more, and there are less dipshits around screwing things up for everyone else because there is a tangible penalty for trolling or abusive shit . It makes the community stronger.

Some people who don't get in will bitch and moan in a childish "well your club sucks anyway!" kinda way, but by doing that you're identifying yourself as exactly the kind of imbecile they want to keep out.

@ArchScabby said:

" I think the fact that you have to apply just to post on their site means it's a site, and people that I don't want to be around. "

Well that's pretty defeatist. Good luck when you're out to get into a university or get that job or promotion you want because if you're the kind of guy who breaks down at a hurdle that requires you to do nothing more than send an email and wait then god knows how you'll fare on the bigger challenges in life.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#50  Edited By demontium
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
" What makes the Neogaf forums so special that you have to apply for them? "
EXCLUSIVITY =/= GOOD. 

Go see the social network, giantbomb is like facebook and neogaf is the Winklevi twin's idea.