Hard as you try not to see it"

...I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl!

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm really enjoying the EP. It's great to listen back to back with Not the Actual Events as well.

Reznor has never released anything that I don't like, so it's hard for me to say "NIN are back to their high standard", because for me they never even dipped, but it really feels like this great mashup of some of the best styles and sounds from The Fragile and Year Zero. Electronica Industrial Beauty.

Anyway, time to relisten to it again and again for the next 4 months.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@willza92 said:

I'm really enjoying the EP. It's great to listen back to back with Not the Actual Events as well.

Reznor has never released anything that I don't like, so it's hard for me to say "NIN are back to their high standard", because for me they never even dipped, but it really feels like this great mashup of some of the best styles and sounds from The Fragile and Year Zero. Electronica Industrial Beauty.

Anyway, time to relisten to it again and again for the next 4 months.

Okay now you have me intrigued. The Fragile and Year Zero are my two favorite NIN albums so hearing that the new EP is in that orbit sounds great.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, there's definitely some old school-NiN in there. I sort of dropped off NiN after Fragile and while I have enjoyed stuff since, it all sorts of blends together in my mind. But this one clicked with me pretty instantly.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

@willza92 said:

Yup, I've been doing that too, flows incredibly well from one to the other, feels like a complete album when listening to it like that.

The degrading tape loop at the end of The Background World is incredible.

PassiveSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just feel old everytime I think off the fact that Trent Reznor, my favorite musician, is an Oscar winning composer :)

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just feel old everytime I think off the fact that Trent Reznor, my favorite musician, is an Oscar winning composer :)

instead, feel empowered that Trent Reznor, your favorite musician, has put on 80 pounds of hulking muscle

PassiveSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: Has he? Haha, I haven't seen a pic lately, I'm so out of the loop when it comes to music nowadays. I'll have to go check out this new EP pronto though.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it quite a lot, more so then Not the Actual Events, though I haven't listened to that EP that many time yet.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@passivespiral: He's dropped a lot of his muscle now (a wife and two kids'll do that to you), but he was fucking JACKED during the post With Teeth - The Slip era. Guy replaced booze and drugs with lifting weights. Hella inspirational (I wonder if he listened to NIN in the gym like I do...).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I guess I'm a "dirty casual" when it comes to NIN because I always enjoys their singles but not so much the bulk of the actual albums. The single for Add Violence was fast and punchy but also very reminiscent of old school NIN that I remember liking - Perfect Drug and the like. Then the rest of the EP was sort of a drag for me personally. I like atmospheric music but parts of it are a little too droning for me. I really enjoyed his How To Destroy Angels side project and the single made me think it was going in that direction but it really isn't. I'll give it a few more listens but it hasn't really grabbed me yet.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By shorap

@humanity: I'd recommend listening with a really good set of speakers or headphones to get into how layered his music is. If it doesn't reach you that way that's ok and you gave it a shot.

Btw, it's fine to be a casual listener. Everyone is with certain bands. I've been a fan of his since PHM and my favorite NIN albums are The Fragile and Year Zero. To each their own. Don't let what anyone thinks of you steal your sunshine...sorry, had to bring it back in to Giant Bomb somehow.