Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

Poll Nobody likes Face/Off (677 votes)

I enjoyed the film Face/Off 66%
I had no strong feeling one way or the other 12%
I did not enjoy the film Face/Off 7%
I have not seen Face/Off 14%

So, I had a weird interaction with someone on my Facebook friend's list (ie, someone I've met in person, but not seen in person in years and barely inteact with). They made the proclamation that, while people enjoy a television show called Faceoff, which I've never seen, no one likes Face/Off the movie, which I have seen and enjoy. I corrected their misapprehension which they refused to believe (the entirety of my response was, "I like the movie...").

I've always thought it was well liked, but perhaps I'm wrong. Do you like the film Face/Off, starring Nicolas Cage and John Travolta as John Travolta and Nicolas Cage?

• 
DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Face/Off is great, this Facebook guy is wrong and should not be taken seriously.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't seen it in something like 20 years. But I remember it being pretty cool. I've been excited to watch it again Film & 40s style.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I've honestly never even seen it. Might get around to it at some point I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I really liked it I remember renting it at blockbuster on VHS yes I'm old.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the John Woo -scale I'd put it above Hard-Boiled but below From Riches to Rags.

So I love it quite a bit.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jec03 said:

I really liked it I remember renting it at blockbuster on VHS yes I'm old.

I remember trying to convince my father to rent it at blockbusters, he didnt like John Travolta but I told him Nikolas Cage was the main protagonist which is technically true ;p

I was pretty young at the time it came out. (I would've been 8 in 1998 but i'm not sure if that's when I watched it) I like that it wasnt the violence that put my father off, but John Travolta.

Anyway, yeah it's a good movie that only gets better with age. I've never heard of Faceoff the TV show.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Spoonman671

It's dumb.

Is that bad?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@zombievac: If you're trying to get some complete "This number is an exact representation of mathematically how good this movie is" then yeah it's no good, but I think it's a better system than you think. Critics are all unique individuals so if a vast majority of them tend to at least think a movie is good, then that movie is probably pretty damn good. There are extremely few 90%+ rated movies that I haven't at least seen the value in when I watched them.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I haven't seen it since I was a child and I remember next to nothing about it, but the sheer amount of excitement and reverence Dan shows for this movie makes me want to watch it again.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Critics and movie goers like it a lot.

What is this thread

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By beforet

Face/Off is a bad movie. I enjoyed watching Face/Off. Maybe not as religiously as professional wresting's own Dan Ryckert, but admittedly it was his enthusiasm that got me to watch the movie in the first place.

Edit: This movie scored what on Rotten Tomatoes? I'm not one to take RT as scripture, but seeing a 92%, 96% if you only include "top critics" is just a little shocking! Like, it's kind of making me think "did I miss something? Are my opinions bad? Am I bad?"

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was cool when I was a kid, but thought it was just alright as an adult. I don't know, man. I just didn't think it was as memorable, or interesting as most. This site is really the only place I can think of, that has any reverence for it.

If I want dumb fun, then I go with 'Big Trouble In Little China'. Also I have never understood the love for Nic Cage, but that's just me.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's a great movie, critics love it, has somewhat of a cult following, and pretty sure an entry level requirement for this site is to like face off so most people here like it too.

Lisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Lisker

I haven't really enjoyed any of his work after Hard Target, one of the most underrated American action movies ever.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@brendan said:

@zombievac: If you're trying to get some complete "This number is an exact representation of mathematically how good this movie is" then yeah it's no good, but I think it's a better system than you think. Critics are all unique individuals so if a vast majority of them tend to at least think a movie is good, then that movie is probably pretty damn good. There are extremely few 90%+ rated movies that I haven't at least seen the value in when I watched them.

Sure, it works, given the caveats of how simple it is. The problem, IMO, is similar to that of Metacritic though - they subjectively (and almost randomly it seems, in some cases) say the review was "positive" or "negative", yet any written review without a "score" attached is going to mention both, depending on the film, and often is neither definitely positive or definitely negative overall.

So, it's just not that useful to me... UNLESS there is no other good indicator for how good a film might be, because I find that I have less free time than money or anything else, so I want to spend my time on the best experiences I can within reason - for me, just liking something an average amount and finding it "decent" is generally not what I'm looking for.

It's like games - there are PLENTY of them I'd play and enjoy just fine if no other options existed. But since they almost always do these days, I try to suss out the best of the best and work my way through those first... and find that I no longer have time for anything less these days - even though I have no children to take care of, etc - so I have more free time than many people my age do pretty often! There is so much out there now for TV, films, and games that I can easily get by just playing/watching the best of a given genre or area of interest. I find that I generally have enough time to play the "8/10" or higher stuff for the most part, it seems - and yet I have to figure that out via my own research, RT doesn't cut it for me since there are plenty of films that get all mostly positive reviews that are still very mediocre overall.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fuck? It's the opposite. Everytime I see face off on the guide I get excited, then I realize it's the stupid TV show and I get pissed.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Great movie i don't care what anybody says.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I bet your facebook friend is a lot of fun at parties.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Ezekiel

@humanity said:

I have not seen it as an adult but as a kid I thought it was pretty fun.

I think I did too. I just watched it for the first time as an adult. Good action movie. Laughably over the top and ridiculous, but it knows what it is and has a *gasp* good story.