flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By flindip

@davidwitten22 said:

I have to agree with flindip though that giving someone a belt without a single fight for the organization is kind of insulting. A title shot would be fine, but since the UFC doesn't have any actual woman's division yet that isn't possible.

I mean it should be the first fight is a title fight period. No reigning champ. Both fighters have a chance for the belt. I realize its impossible and unfair for Rousey to do a "fight up." But, I think its still reasonable not to just hand a belt before she hasn't even fought a single fight in that org.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@flindip said:

@I_Stay_Puft: From my understanding Strikeforce has one more card and then its going to be dissolved. Unless Zuffa sold the rights and I didn't know about it.

Yep your right, though it was to be expected. Zuffa buying a promotion is the ultimate death sentence for it.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By sumbog

Good to see Giantbomb has a group of MMA fans, anyone gonna stay up to watch Dream NYE?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By handlas

@I_Stay_Puft said:

@flindip said:

@I_Stay_Puft: From my understanding Strikeforce has one more card and then its going to be dissolved. Unless Zuffa sold the rights and I didn't know about it.

Yep your right, though it was to be expected. Zuffa buying a promotion is the ultimate death sentence for it.

Well and the fact that they canceled 2 cards due to injuries. Their last card is already not as good as it should be because of injuries. Just sped up the death of Strikeforce which was inevitable.

I have no problem with Ronda getting a belt. She was Strikeforce champ under the Zuffa umbrella. The best female fighter there is right now. She had the belt. She defended it...3 times? I see no reason to withhold it from her.

That being said, i think it would of been a smarter move to, indeed, make them fight for the belt and make it the co-main event. I worry the mainly male, chauvinistic audience will not buy the card because of it being the main event. I'm already reading people saying they won't buy it simply because of that even tho there are great fights on the card (Ronda's included). Luckily I'm not one of these people. I enjoyed watching Invicta FC a lot (an all women's MMA org).

And Ronda will win by armbar... like she always does. It would be real bad if she loses for WMMA in the UFC.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By MocBucket62

Don't know if anyone is watching, but Ben Henderson is whooping Nate Diaz right now! Go Bendo!

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By flindip

@handlas: Rousey has only defended the belt once. I agree it should have been a co main event. Rousey fighting Cyborg could have been worth it though by itself.

It aint worth it with Rousey vs Carmouche. It needs another title fight.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By handlas

@flindip said:

@handlas: Rousey has only defended the belt once

Yea looked it up. She's dominated everyone tho so not really much for her at this point. I was looking forward to her vs Sarah McMann till that was scrapped.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@handlas said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

@flindip said:

Well and the fact that they canceled 2 cards due to injuries. Their last card is already not as good as it should be because of injuries. Just sped up the death of Strikeforce which was inevitable.

I have no problem with Ronda getting a belt. She was Strikeforce champ under the Zuffa umbrella. The best female fighter there is right now. She had the belt. She defended it...3 times? I see no reason to withhold it from her.

That being said, i think it would of been a smarter move to, indeed, make them fight for the belt and make it the co-main event. I worry the mainly male, chauvinistic audience will not buy the card because of it being the main event. I'm already reading people saying they won't buy it simply because of that even tho there are great fights on the card (Ronda's included). Luckily I'm not one of these people. I enjoyed watching Invicta FC a lot (an all women's MMA org).

And Ronda will win by armbar... like she always does. It would be real bad if she loses for WMMA in the UFC.

Totally agree with everything you said. I think if Dana was a smart man instead of making this a ppv headliner he should make this maybe a headliner for FX, Fox, or Fuel. While most MMA fans know who Ronda is the casual fans don't. Sell her name out there on fight cards people aren't paying for first.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By flindip

@handlas: Its going to be the major hurdle for women's MMA, its right now a shark(Rousey) vs guppies. Rousey is going to need a legit foil if women's MMA is going to stick in the UFC. Its similar situation to when Royce Gracie was dominating back in the day.

I hope McMann is that gal, but she is RAW.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60  Edited By nightriff

That's my boy Benson, put the Diaz brothers in their place.

EDIT: Also the 50-43 card is crazy. It was a beat down but not THAT bad.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By flindip

Great performance by Henderson, extremely well coached for this fight. He never let Diaz use his reach for a boxing match.

oh well, on to the Pacquiao fight

Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By Daroki

@I_Stay_Puft said:

@flindip: Probably is cause when Aldo and Cruz inherited the belts, Zuffa discontinued the WEC and absorbed those fighters into the UFC. Last I heard Strikeforce isn't gone yet...

January is when Strikeforce is rumored to be shut down... Rousey's next fight is in February

@flindip said:

@handlas: Its going to be the major hurdle for women's MMA, its right now a shark(Rousey) vs guppies. Rousey is going to need a legit foil if women's MMA is going to stick in the UFC. Its similar situation to when Royce Gracie was dominating back in the day.

I hope McMann is that gal, but she is RAW.

The major hurdle is going to be when someone like a Cyborg puts an asskicking on Rousey. Can people handing watching the pretty girl get beat up? When Cyborg did that to Carano it set back women's MMA for a couple of years.

Shocked that Smooth made that look so easy...

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By flindip

@Daroki: I'm not sure Cyborg can beat Rousey at 135lbs. Carano was a mediocre grappler and got Cyborg's back. Rousey would feast in that scenario.

145lbs is a bit different, Rousey wouldn't be able to bully her way into Cyborg to set up her Judo/armbar combo. She would have to be VERY careful of Cyborg's power at that weight class.

Honestly, McMann once she gets more experience could be an absolute nightmare for Rousey. The best wrestler Rousey has faced has been Tate, and she is a fairly unimpressive grappler imo. Her biggest thing was that she wrestled on a high school boys team(big fucking deal). McMann at least has Olympic pedigree and has experience with international competition.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By nightriff

I really hope Rousey looses and goes away, it would kill womens mma for the UFC but she is a joke of a personality. I will watch Invicta over her any day just because she is so annoying. Of course I watch every card I can so I probably will watch her throw another arm bar on "x" opponent.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By flindip

@Nightriff said:

I really hope Rousey looses and goes away, it would kill womens mma for the UFC but she is a joke of a personality. I will watch Invicta over her any day just because she is so annoying. Of course I watch every card I can so I probably will watch her throw another arm bar on "x" opponent.

I agree her personality is an annoying exaggeration. But that hasn't hurt Chael Sonnen.

Villains can sell tickets. Floyd Mayweather has proven that time and time again.

I do admit Carano was a better figurehead for the sport. She was intelligent and much more likable/demure. Rousey comes off as a complete fucking idiot at times, but she is a MUCH better fighter than Carano was.

IMO, she can market herself anyway she wants. But I can do without the comments about guys like GSP.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By nightriff

@flindip said:

@Nightriff said:

I agree her personality is an annoying exaggeration. But that hasn't hurt Chael Sonnen.

Villains can sell tickets. Floyd Mayweather has proven that time and time again.

I do admit Carano was a better figurehead for the sport. She was intelligent and much more likable/demure. Rousey comes off as a complete fucking idiot at times, but she is a MUCH better fighter than Carano was.

And Chael is a joke now, talking into a title shot proves that MMA isn't a sport...for now hopefully. And it isn't the villain talk from her, it's the weird sex stuff she says like on Jim Rome a few days ago, comes off completely forced and ridiculous.

madmanmaple89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By madmanmaple89

#WarDiaz Nate fought like a French Soldier.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By flindip

@Nightriff: Chael does have a title fight coming up though, and a TV gig. Personality sells in this sport.

I will say that Rousey has no chance of doing what Carano did.

Use her personality to get lucrative film gigs.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By nightriff

@flindip said:

@Nightriff: Chael does have a title fight coming up though, and a TV gig. Personality sells in this sport.

I think he is the only one that could've done that and hardcore fans are mad that he is getting the shot at Jones. Screwed over Henderson, Gus, Machida. Belfort didn't deserve the spot but it was to save a card, this is scheduled 8 months in advance, that's crazy to give a fight to someone that hasn't fought at that weight in 6 years first AND lost badly in his last fight and arguably lost in the previous one before that.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By flindip

End of an era ladies and gents.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By iam3green

pretty good fights today.

Ronda roussey getting into t he UFC, becoming a title holder right away is kind of meh. i kind of think they should have the best of the best get it since there hasn't been a woman division. if say she won like 4 fights or something then they should of given it to her.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By TheHT

i don't know why i decided to watch UFC today, but that last fight was nuts in the beginning, before becoming like the earlier ones where it was one dude just punishing the other for the remaining rounds. brutal shit.

also, changing of the guard, in cause mike goldberg wasn't clear.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By nightriff

@iam3green said:

pretty good fights today.

Ronda roussey getting into t he UFC, becoming a title holder right away is kind of meh. i kind of think they should have the best of the best get it since there hasn't been a woman division. if say she won like 4 fights or something then they should of given it to her.

I understand why they give her a title, closing up the division and moving it over to the UFC i.e. Aldo and Cruz, but main reason is she is "hot" right now and they expect her to sell a pay per view. Personally I think that fight head lining it is a terrible idea and bound to fail, women in sports just don't sell period.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Nightriff said:

THIS!!!!!

Anyways Bendo is a beast. Bring on Cerrone/Pettis winner.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By nightriff

@kishinfoulux: Bendo has grown so much since that Pettis fight I don't think either of them have a good shot at beating him. But if they are going to be as entertaining as the previous fights they have had, bring it on!

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#76  Edited By SharkEthic

I've watched the UFC since around UFC-50 but lately (the last year or so) they've put on so many shows that I've completely lost interest. The UFC was where the top fighters went to fight, and every card was packed with great fights. Now they put on a show every fucking weekend, featuring primarily underdeveloped fighters and ridiculous main events that doesn't mean shit in the grand scheme of things. On top of that they run a new season of The Ultimate Fighter as soon as the previous ends. There's just not enough talent to merit these decisions, and though I'll watch an event now and then, and still think that MMA is the greatest sport in the world, the UFC has become too much of a business. They're pushing their product way to hard, and I think it'll come back and bite them in the ass.

That being said, what happened to the idea of holding a UFC grappling event? Holy shit that would be awesome!

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By Ravelle

@kishinfoulux said:

@Nightriff said:

THIS!!!!!

Anyways Bendo is a beast. Bring on Cerrone/Pettis winner.

His last performence was a bit mediocre but he made up for it big time in his fight against Diaz.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Nightriff said:

@kishinfoulux: Bendo has grown so much since that Pettis fight I don't think either of them have a good shot at beating him. But if they are going to be as entertaining as the previous fights they have had, bring it on!

Yeah I said on another forum, but Pettis has sort of just stalled in his progression. Still a really good fighter, but don't think that fight goes the same way. Then again who knows? That first fight was bonkers.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#79  Edited By papercut

Oh snap, I didn't know this thread existed!

Man, Diaz was so dominant on his way to the top and in the fight last night it just never looked like he had a chance. Nate is one hell of a fighter but I guess that's why Bendo is champ.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By nightriff

@kishinfoulux said:

@Nightriff said:

Yeah I said on another forum, but Pettis has sort of just stalled in his progression. Still a really good fighter, but don't think that fight goes the same way. Then again who knows? That first fight was bonkers.

Probably should go back and watch that fight, heard Bendo lost and decided not to watch it. Showtime kick is cool and all but it is the most overrated strike in the history of combat sports, it didn't even put Bendo away. I do want the rematch so Bendo can get some revenge.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By nightriff

Anyone watching the fights tonight?

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By handlas

Yep. Good card all around. My bet is Junior KOs Cain again. Or TKO at least. Don't see it going any other way. Which is a good thing because I look forward to seeing Cormier fighting for the belt soon enough.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By sumbog

I'm streaming off the UFC website today, relegated to online services because I can't figure out the PPV on this hotel TV. My boy Varner already won, but Ill give my picks for the rest of the card:

-Pickett

-Leben

-Belcher

-My other man Boetsch

-Miller

-Dos Santo's

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By flindip

Brunson/Leben fight was terrible. Both fighters looked really out of it.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By sumbog

Holy shit, there will be blood.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By flindip

Lauzon and Miller saved the card. That was a great fight. I would be shocked if that isn't fight of the night.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By sumbog

Hey so if you wanted to make a lot of money, bet the opposite of what I said, except for the Miller fight. Also Cain is destroying JDS so I see him taking this fight.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By flindip

@Sumbog: Well Boetsch is the better fighter. He had the worst luck I've ever seen. Getting headbutt and his eye poked.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By flindip

A dominating performance by Cain. He smothered Del Santos.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By handlas

Pretty shocking. Didn't think Cain had that in him... broke Junior.

PPV card was pretty lackluster until co-main and main. Made it worth it tho I suppose.

flindip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By flindip

@handlas said:

PPV card was pretty lackluster until co-main and main. Made it worth it tho I suppose.

yeah the card was good, not great. They got really unlucky in the Boestch fight. Plus Leben looked terrible(I don't think they expected that).

But the last two fights saved the card.

I will say that was one of the worst crowds though. WAY too much booing and disrespect.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By nightriff

@handlas said:

J-Lau and Miller saved the card and Cain JDS topped off a pretty good card overall, prelims were pretty great.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Whatsup folks who may be watching UFC Fox 6. Anybody else waiting for a Anthony Pettis vs. Ben Henderson fight after he faces Gilbert Melendez? I know I am. So who you guys got for the next fight Glover vs. Rampage?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

What's up UFC / MMA fans anybody watching 159 tonight and who do you got?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By nightriff

Jones by whatever he wants, whenever he wants

Belcher by my dislike for Bisping

Phil Davis by top control

Jim Miller by being the better fighter

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@nightriff said:

Jones by whatever he wants, whenever he wants

Belcher by my dislike for Bisping

Phil Davis by top control

Jim Miller by being the better fighter

I kinda want to see Chael win one for once, think it'd be fun if the villan wins once and a while. Also think it'd be good for Jones, even St-Pierre had to lose one to Serra in order to get better. I'm a rooting for underdog kinda guy.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been awhile since I have watched a UFC PPV, but holy shit. Joe Rogan has become one of the bitchiest announcers I have ever seen. He's been constantly commenting about the refs and their decisions and now bitching about gloves. They look like the ones they have always used -- did they change something?

Can someone enlighten me on if there is some sort of bad blood with Rogan and UFC? Really curious about where his frustrations are coming from.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Rocky vs. Apollo Creed happening right now. What a good fight, somebody giving Jones some pressure.

Great fight was truly a Rocky finish or should I say Rocky IV finish... I'm confused...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What did y'all score the fight? I had Gus 48-47 and think people are crazy who had Jones 49-46.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What did y'all score the fight? I had Gus 48-47 and think people are crazy who had Jones 49-46.

It was close I had Gus winning it, first 3 rounds to Gus and last 2 to Jones. Texiera is obviously fighting Jones next but would would love to see another rematch between the two, definitely kept Jones reeling through most of the fight.