• 80 results
dunkard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dunkard

I like oldies music. this, rap beats, Eminem, and a less than 10 pop/rock songs is what I listen to. People of my age now can't seem to accept this music, why? I once bought my cellphone to school, it being full of oldies music. a classmate borrowed it and next thing I know I am the laughing stock.. people nowadays, shouldn't be called people..

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jams
@dunkard:  What specifically do you listen to? I grew up on the Beach Boys and Hank Williams. Along with anything and everything 50's. Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, Richie Valens, Elvis, etc, etc.
Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rattle618

You mean like Palestrina or Josquin des Prez?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@dunkard: Rat pack music ftw brah!
DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DirrtyNinja

Reading that actually caused me physical pain.

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Loose

I'm sorry, but what qualifies as "oldies"? I don't really care for the use of terms like that because it just comes off as a vein attempt to make it sound like older music is somehow better. There's always good music and bad music, time has nothing to do with it (although it does do a pretty good job of making us forget about the bad).

Anyways, to answer your question as to why people can't accept older music, there's a variety of reasons for it, but mostly it's marketing. Modern music is heavily marketed to youth, therefore youth listen to modern music. Pretty simple really. If you want to listen to older music that's cool, I dig some Bo Diddley myself, but if you choose to forego listening to modern music entirely then you'll have to accept some of the social consequences.

dunkard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dunkard

I listen to Bing Crosby, Anita Bryant, Johnny Cash, Neil Sedaka, Al Martino, Elvis, Pat Boone, Connie Francis, Matt Monro, Platters, Lettermen, and Paul Anka are a few...

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Vrikk

"Back in my day..."

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By MooseyMcMan  Online

Oldies is such a subjective term. When I hear "oldies" I think Elvis. But then again, I hate new music. Any bands that came into existence after the mid-90s are no good (to me, anyway). 

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TehBuLL
dunkard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dunkard

I have nothing against modern day musicians but I think the music of yesterday has more and deeper meaning.

dunkard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dunkard

I wished I was born on the 1920's because I wished that I was a Marine deployed in the Pacific during ww2.. old songs kinda remind me of this period, especially when Bing Crosby sings.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Faint

I think if someone only listens to music that has come out in the past 5-10 years than their musical perception and interpretation is pretty shot. I don't listen to a whole lot of 'old' music as you are saying. Mostly 90's stuff is what I listen to. However, I still have a grand appreciation for the older styles and don't have any problem listening to them. I enjoy the classics like Frank Sinatra and a lot of Jazz, as well as things with classical influence, though my musical preference is more along the lines of Tool, Isis, Deftones, etc.

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TehBuLL
@dunkard said:
" I wished I was born on the 1920's because I wished that I was a Marine deployed in the Pacific during ww2.. old songs kinda remind me of this period, especially when Bing Crosby sings. "
Ok......we're done here.  Nothing to see everyone.  Move along.
Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Loose
@dunkard said:
" I have nothing against modern day musicians but I think the music of yesterday has more and deeper meaning. "
I'd have to disagree with you there. I certainly don't think that "the music of yesterday" is worse, far from it, but it isn't somehow better, it's just marketed as being better through the use of terms like "oldies" and "classic [insert genre here]". I wouldn't argue with you if you were to suggest that the sheer quantity of great music being released in the 50, 60s, 70s, etc. was superior to today's quantity, but it's wrong to be so dismissive of the quality of more modern music (and by that I mean music released within the past decade or so).
Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weegieanawrench

I listen to music from the 50's up to the late 80's. In terms of modern music, the only group that I can really tolerate is Muse.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Daveyo520

I know oldies well. Also Classic Rock is my favorite music.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrKlorox

When people refer to classic rock from the 60s and 70s as oldies, I want to do harm to them. I have some friends that do this. They're hard to talk to.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By WickedCobra03
@dunkard said:
" I listen to Bing Crosby, Anita Bryant, Johnny Cash, Neil Sedaka, Al Martino, Elvis, Pat Boone, Connie Francis, Matt Monro, Platters, Lettermen, and Paul Anka are a few... "
Yeah, that and a lot of the doo-wop music from the late 40's to the early 60's.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By time allen
@dunkard said:
" I have nothing against modern day musicians but I think the music of yesterday has more and deeper meaning. "
people who say this clearly aren't digging deep enough.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By BeachThunder

>_>

Goes off to listen to "Maybe".

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dunkard: If you specified what you mean by 'oldies'... 

Edit: Ok, so you like swing and crooners. Fair enough; it isn't to my tastes, but I'm not one to put other people down for what they enjoy listening to.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By beej
@dunkard said:

" I have nothing against modern day musicians  

This seems contradictory with the claim that:

@dunkard said:   
"  but I think the music of yesterday has more and deeper meaning. "    
 It sounds like you DO have something against modern music. The claim that there's no deeper meaning in todays music is ridiculously unfounded. In fact I'd say you're making the same baseless assumptions and value judgements that you claim your peers are doing. In fact I think you say it best when you argue that " people nowadays, shouldn't be called people.." 
But hell I'll give you the benefit of the doubt,  
" Baby let me be, 
your lovin' Teddy Bear
Put a chain around my neck, 
and lead me anywhere
Oh let me be 
Your teddy bear.
I don't wanna be a tiger
Cause tigers play too rough
I don't wanna be a lion
'Cause lions ain't the kind 
you love enough.
Just wanna be, your Teddy Bear
Put a chain around my neck 
and lead me anywhere
Oh let me be 
Your teddy bear.
Baby let me be, around you every night
Run your fingers through my hair,
And cuddle me real tight"
Pretty fucking deep sir. See? I can cherry pick examples too!
sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sumbog

Who would make  fun of you for that? At my school people are ridiculed for being fans of hyper-popularized pop songs and stuff; also if someone makes fun of you for listening to Johnny Cash you should drop that kid like a sack of flower.

dartagnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dartagnan

I honestly have no idea how people can write off entire time periods of music, when they've only really listened to the top 40 of that particular era.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By SMTDante89

The way I see it, in today's world, underground music is where it's at.  Not saying all the music you hear on the radio is bad, but I much prefer listening to music through word of mouth about underground music than what's popular on the radio.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ajamafalous
@Toms115 said:
" @dunkard said:
people who say this clearly aren't digging deep enough. "
HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HisDudeness

The amount of good  and bad music today is the same as it was 50 years ago, but only the great ones are remembered. You just have to look more carefully, and you will find amazing music.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brendan

You wish you were a marine deployed in one of the bloodiest conflicts in history during a time when medical technology was such that you were basically fucked if you were wounded?  Couldn't you just be a bartender or something?

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#30  Edited By Jazz
@beej said:
" @dunkard said:

" I have nothing against modern day musicians  

This seems contradictory with the claim that:

@dunkard said:   
"  but I think the music of yesterday has more and deeper meaning. "    
 It sounds like you DO have something against modern music. The claim that there's no deeper meaning in todays music is ridiculously unfounded. In fact I'd say you're making the same baseless assumptions and value judgements that you claim your peers are doing. In fact I think you say it best when you argue that " people nowadays, shouldn't be called people.." 
But hell I'll give you the benefit of the doubt,  
" Baby let me be, 
your lovin' Teddy Bear
Put a chain around my neck, 
and lead me anywhere
Oh let me be 
Your teddy bear.
I don't wanna be a tiger
Cause tigers play too rough
I don't wanna be a lion
'Cause lions ain't the kind 
you love enough.
Just wanna be, your Teddy Bear
Put a chain around my neck 
and lead me anywhere
Oh let me be 
Your teddy bear.
Baby let me be, around you every night
Run your fingers through my hair,
And cuddle me real tight"
Pretty fucking deep sir. See? I can cherry pick examples too! "
Well Beej, you clearly aren't digging deep enough are you? 
It's a story about love gone wrong. You see Elvis is begging to be loved by this girl, but she has refused him for the warm embrace of her 'Teddy Bear' which is obviously a reference to Edward Kennedy.  She was a deep political activist, obsessed with Teddy Kennedy...and try as he might he couldn't drag her away.
Bear, Tigers, Lions..these were all animals that were caged and paraded in front of Las Vegas audiences...there he's saying that he doesn't want to be a spectacle, something to be poked and looked at.  They could also double for the political wrangling on Capital Hill. Images of savage fights in the senate house....
He even goes so far as to suggest that he would be her slave 'put your chain around my neck'. It was an obsession that lead to him faking his own death. Remember, Elvis ended up faking his own death and battling the forces of evil in a care home. 

of course it's not as deep as 'I'm the King of the Swingers' as performed by Louis Prima, but nothing really is....
Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ramone

This thread is weird.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ugh, I can't stand the oldies. I'm referring to stuff by The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Fats Domino, shit like that. I work at a grocery store and most of the customers are fucking fossils, so when the store isn't playing super hits of the '80's for the soccer moms they're playing incredibly old shit for the old people. I can't stand it, it's just too upbeat for me, and it feels like they're all about "Taking your gal out to that swell high school dance!"

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By penguindust

I like "oldies".  I got into music recorded in the 1950's-1970's in the 1980's when I despised all the crap that was on the radio.  Of course, by today's standards, that music would be considered "oldies" too now.  I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Huey Lewis and the News are considered "classic rock" now.   Time makes fossils of us all --- and it will happen to you, too!

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Red12b
@dunkard said:
" I wished I was born on the 1920's because I wished that I was a Marine deployed in the Pacific during ww2.. old songs kinda remind me of this period, especially when Bing Crosby sings. "
yeah...no you don't.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@dunkard said:
Popular music has always been shallow and manufactured. There is lots of deep, meaningful music and thanks to the increased ability to share information in the 21st century you are more likely to find it. You couldn't be more wrong. If you are listening to chart music then you are only going to find shit.
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jams

Great songs of old

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

Yo man Im into oldies, Im all about Avril Laviegn yo.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Arker101
@MrKlorox said:
" When people refer to classic rock from the 60s and 70s as oldies, I want to do harm to them. I have some friends that do this. They're hard to talk to. "
So pretty much, "If it's not Led Zeppelin or The Beatles, it's not music?" 
dunkard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dunkard
@beej:  saying that old music I play has deeper meaning than certain current music now, is only my opinion.. listen to the music and see..
Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jams
@zudthespud said:
" @dunkard said:
Popular music has always been shallow and manufactured. There is lots of deep, meaningful music and thanks to the increased ability to share information in the 21st century you are more likely to find it. You couldn't be more wrong. If you are listening to chart music then you are only going to find shit. "
You don't know jack shit about good music if all you're worried about is if they are popular or not. There's a reason songs get popular. That's because they talk to people in different ways and the music matches the moods and attitudes of the times they were played. You get happy go lucky songs in the 50's because that's how a lot of people felt. You get psycidellic trips in the 60's because everyone was loosing themselves to experimentation. You get bands like Black Flag when the kids are tired people telling them how they should act in society. Music has nothing to do with Billboard charts but everything to do with how the population they grew up in is felling. I think we get a lot of shitty carbon copy music today because the younger gen is too busy trying to be different while at the same time copying older trends that they like. 

Sure there will always be the recording industries new little pop star, but even they serve a purpose in music. Certain plain Janes love those poppy songs and other people get sick of hearing them and decide to start their own bands and do better.
DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By DemiGodRaven
@dunkard said:
Oh holy crap.

How did this sneak by you guys?
Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By Elazul
@MrKlorox said:
" When people refer to classic rock from the 60s and 70s as oldies, I want to do harm to them. I have some friends that do this. They're hard to talk to. "
You think that's bad? Last month I had a conversation with someone who considered Guns 'n Roses and Nirvana to be "Oldies". I nearly dove out of the fucking window.
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#43  Edited By Little_Socrates
@dunkard said:
" I listen to Bing Crosby, Anita Bryant, Johnny Cash, Neil Sedaka, Al Martino, Elvis, Pat Boone, Connie Francis, Matt Monro, Platters, Lettermen, and Paul Anka are a few... "
@dunkard said:
Sorry, I love oldies music (give me Bing, Cash, Presley, Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Porter, The Ink Spots, Armstrong, or Gershwin whenever) and even I can't take you seriously anymore. Those two statements, one after the other, just seems CRAZY.

Anyways, the reason most teenagers don't know those artists is because their parents mostly grew up in the 60's and 70's. The number of teenagers who know who Freddie Mercury is, or who can recognize the comedy in a dialogue composed entirely of Beatles song titles, or know the history of metal going back to Steppenwolf is astounding. Those parents who DO share that stuff with their kids...well, it'll be like my generation sharing grunge or boy bands like N*SYNC with their kids. It's somebody else's music, we weren't around to experience it, and a good piece of it (see Pat Boone) is just a popular sensation more than any kind of art. 

Also, 
@Toms115 said:
" @dunkard said:
people who say this clearly aren't digging deep enough. "
I completely agree with this statement. Especially if we're talking about the era of music you're discussing, popular music didn't even really come into its own as social commentary until about ten years later, during the 1960's and the folk rock movement. Ella Fitzgerald may be the greatest singer of all time (I always veer that way, anyways) but Eminem's "Stan" probably has more meaning than anything she's ever performed, and so does half of The Beatles' catalog. I always felt that era was more about thoughtful tune-writing (see Cole Porter's work) or excellent performance of standards.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By Karl_Boss

I love Louis Armstrong....and oldies is a very broad term which could refer to many different time periods....but to me oldies is music from the 1920s-1950s

dunkard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dunkard
@DemiGodRaven said:
" @dunkard said:
Oh holy crap.  How did this sneak by you guys? "

what? is there anything wrong with that?
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Little_Socrates
@dunkard said:
" @DemiGodRaven said:
" @dunkard said:
Oh holy crap.  How did this sneak by you guys? "

what? is there anything wrong with that? "
Is there anything wrong with wanting to be in one of the most terrifying war fronts America's ever been a part of, that killed more soldiers than the rest of our 20th century wars combined? Yes, there is something wrong with that. I know it's a fantasy, but many of the people who fought there fantasize about having done anything BUT fighting in the Pacific. It's very much not unlike someone saying they wished they had fought in Vietnam and that Elvis's "In The Ghetto" reminded them of the period.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@jams:  Please note I didn't say all popular music was bad, because it's not, and I didn't mean to suggest that all popular music was shallow and manufactured, but so much of it is...  

Here's the thing with the music industry: The majority of consumers buy what they are told to. The songs they hear on the radio and the songs that other people like. It's not about what is good music or not. To make it in the music industry it's not about making the best music, it's about the way you sell it. Elvis was a sex symbol, so he sold records. Michael Jackson could dance, so he sold records. Lady Gaga dresses up funny, so she sells records. Do you really think if Elvis was fat, Michael Jackson was in a wheelchair and Lady Gaga dressed like a normal person they would be as famous? The music is a sideshow. It's what happens in a celebrity culture. It's why record companies look for people like Justin Bieber that they can market. If the music industry isn't shallow why do so many of the popular groups care so much about their image? Why do people give a crap about anything that these people do outside of a studio or off a stage? They don't really care about the music, that's why. It's been like this for a long time and I don't see it going away. 

There are obviously exceptions, but what I am talking about is so prevalent it's worth talking about.
EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By EuanDewar

I pity you.

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Little_Socrates
@zudthespud said:
" @jams: Lady Gaga dresses up funny, so she sells records. Do you really think if Elvis was fat, Michael Jackson was in a wheelchair and Lady Gaga dressed like a normal person they would be as famous? The music is a sideshow. "
So...Presley had already released "Heartbreak Hotel" before he got on TV, so his looks were (at least at that time) irrelevant.

Jackson had already had his back catalog with the Jackson 5, so he would've still gotten famous if he'd produced his catalog. Not to mention dancing is as much a part of performance as singing, so discounting that is somewhat foolish. It'd be like discounting the way Buddy Guy makes faces while he plays, or the energy a famous conductor puts into his performances.

Lady GaGa dresses comparatively normally in concert, sticking to costumes from the music videos and the more standard pop leotards, as well as during her first breakout single, Just Dance, where she pretty much just dresses like a Vogue model. She got popular largely because of the music; maybe she reached people like my mom through the style, but the large majority of her fan constituency is due to the music and her activism. The people who only know her style have largely moved on, and treat her almost as a "thing of the past." 

The music is not a "sideshow" to the recording industry so long as we're talking about the big labels. You have to be good AND marketable. And acting like image is a big part of what makes these artists successful is A) not a problem if we're talking about dance and performance and B) not fair to the other half of their album that never gets turned into a music video. Lady GaGa's albums are both full of songs that never became singles and never received videos, but you certainly don't have to skip past them on the record. And don't even REMIND me that there's no music video for Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.
dunkard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dunkard
@Little_Socrates said:
Is there anything wrong with wanting to be in one of the most terrifying war fronts America's ever been a part of, that killed more soldiers than the rest of our 20th century wars combined? Yes, there is something wrong with that.  

yeah it's a fantasy but I'm sorry if I offended/insulted people here.