Please help. I promise I'll leave you alone after Friday's over.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Edited By DevWil

I'll only bug you guys about this after Friday if it's simply to thank you. I really need your help, though.

Okay, so, if you've read my Child of Eden review, you know I'm a huge Tetsuya Mizuguchi fan. He's my game design hero (not to be confused with the upcoming Activision-published Game Design Hero). There's a game development contest over at Kongregate that I've submitted three entries in to, and the top twenty games get put in front of Mizuguchi for him to judge.

I'm so absurdly and cripplingly emotionally invested in this contest. It might be silly, but it really is very important to me. Even though there's a total of $15,000 worth of prizes for first, second, and third place (to put it in more meaningful terms: 1.5 million Wii Points), my goal is simply to get one or more of my games in front of my hero. So, please go over to Kongregate, make an account if you don't already have one, and help rate my games up into the top 20. Two of them are right on the edge, and I think the other is a better game than what its current rating suggests. 

As I type this, my highest rated game is at #25 and there are only 28 hours left to rate games in the contest before the top 20 are locked in. For the past month I've been working really hard towards this contest and it's pretty much all I've been thinking about. Like I said, it's not about the money. I just want to get a game of mine in front of my hero.

Even if you don't like Child of Eden, Mizuguchi, or Kongregate...surely you don't want my Friday night to be mired in disappointment, right?  So, please help me by clicking the links below and giving my games at least 3 stars to bring their ratings up. I'd appreciate it more than I can express. 

Thanks, guys. Here are the links:  
ffShmup (37th as of this post)
foggy fields: Play, Create, & Listen (25th as of this post)
foggy fields: Kongregate Bonus Track (26th as of this post) 

Note to mods: I know this is pretty much just advertising. GIve me a break, please. It's not like I've contributed nothing to Giant Bomb. I've got a good many wiki points and I've had more than one well-regarded and/or spotlighted review. I love this site and its community, and I just hope (and believe) that people here are generous enough to help me by clicking a few buttons for me.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DevWil

I'll only bug you guys about this after Friday if it's simply to thank you. I really need your help, though.

Okay, so, if you've read my Child of Eden review, you know I'm a huge Tetsuya Mizuguchi fan. He's my game design hero (not to be confused with the upcoming Activision-published Game Design Hero). There's a game development contest over at Kongregate that I've submitted three entries in to, and the top twenty games get put in front of Mizuguchi for him to judge.

I'm so absurdly and cripplingly emotionally invested in this contest. It might be silly, but it really is very important to me. Even though there's a total of $15,000 worth of prizes for first, second, and third place (to put it in more meaningful terms: 1.5 million Wii Points), my goal is simply to get one or more of my games in front of my hero. So, please go over to Kongregate, make an account if you don't already have one, and help rate my games up into the top 20. Two of them are right on the edge, and I think the other is a better game than what its current rating suggests. 

As I type this, my highest rated game is at #25 and there are only 28 hours left to rate games in the contest before the top 20 are locked in. For the past month I've been working really hard towards this contest and it's pretty much all I've been thinking about. Like I said, it's not about the money. I just want to get a game of mine in front of my hero.

Even if you don't like Child of Eden, Mizuguchi, or Kongregate...surely you don't want my Friday night to be mired in disappointment, right?  So, please help me by clicking the links below and giving my games at least 3 stars to bring their ratings up. I'd appreciate it more than I can express. 

Thanks, guys. Here are the links:  
ffShmup (37th as of this post)
foggy fields: Play, Create, & Listen (25th as of this post)
foggy fields: Kongregate Bonus Track (26th as of this post) 

Note to mods: I know this is pretty much just advertising. GIve me a break, please. It's not like I've contributed nothing to Giant Bomb. I've got a good many wiki points and I've had more than one well-regarded and/or spotlighted review. I love this site and its community, and I just hope (and believe) that people here are generous enough to help me by clicking a few buttons for me.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WickedCestus

I'll help a bro out. 

EDIT: Also, Foggy Fields is pretty cool. Good job.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DevWil
@supermike6: You're awesome. 

@ChristianConservativeVinny: I think the worst reaction I'll get is apathy. I personally don't think this community is full of assholes who would actively try to make one of its members fail, even if he irritated them with a needy post. It'd take a peculiarly motivated sociopath to decide to downvote my games because of this blog.
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Burzmali

Done and done. Kong should give weight to higher level members. I'm level 43, my vote should count more.

Anyway, 5 stars on all. You really should add something to the shmup one to make the center of the eighth notes clearer.

Note: I had already voted on your original foggy fields one from your original post. So you only get a boost from me today on the other two.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Kyreo

Absolutely. As long as you aren't whoring this out to OTHER game sites, I'm in.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Barrock

Voted. Fun little games. Any changes?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

alright man, ill help you out.  i just need to make accounts first

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I signed up but it doesn't seem to let me rate the game. Do I have to play it before I can rate it? I didn't really want to install that unity thing.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DevWil
@Burzmali: i agree. pretty sure that's the way newgrounds works and, as long as level 1 members' ratings aren't totally inconsequential, i don't see why it's not preferable. thanks so much for your help! i don't really understand your comment about the shmup, though. could you elaborate? do you mean it's not clear when they're going to explode, or what?

@Kyreo: i've promoted my games on the forums for the libraries/tools i've used to make them (unity, flixel) and i posted a thread on tigsource today, but other than that...just here! this is really the only online community i feel like i'm actually a part of. 

@Barrock:  from when? ffShmup is only a couple days old, but--other than that--if you played the two 'foggy fields' games before they're the same. 

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: thanks, man! you're a good dude, duder.
dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By dungbootle

Sure, anything for a duder. Voted 5 on all three.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Barrock

@DevWil said:

@Burzmali: i agree. pretty sure that's the way newgrounds works and, as long as level 1 members' ratings aren't totally inconsequential, i don't see why it's not preferable. thanks so much for your help! i don't really understand your comment about the shmup, though. could you elaborate? do you mean it's not clear when they're going to explode, or what?

@Kyreo: i've promoted my games on the forums for the libraries/tools i've used to make them (unity, flixel) and i posted a thread on tigsource today, but other than that...just here! this is really the only online community i feel like i'm actually a part of.

@Barrock: from when? ffShmup is only a couple days old, but--other than that--if you played the two 'foggy fields' games before they're the same.

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: thanks, man! you're a good dude, duder.

Oh I meant in one place they are in. The ranking.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DevWil
@gunslingerNZ: that's weird. i mean, strictly speaking, i don't think you need to play the game to rate it. for the record, though: unity is totally harmless. 

@dungbootle: awesome! thanks! you guys are making me so happy. even if the games don't climb up enough to make it to the judge's round, i'm so grateful for all of the support! 

@Barrock: yeah! wow! 'foggy fields: Play, Create, & Listen' is at #19, according to the page that ranks them (which has been inaccurate in the past, but hopefully it's correct right now)! this is awesome. i have to make it clear, though, that that doesn't mean it's safe and any newcomers to this thread shouldn't feel discouraged from helping! foggy fields was at #19 just yesterday and fell down to #25 today before I made this thread. 

this is fantastic. thanks so much, everyone. let's keep it going! :D
Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Choffy

This thread is why this community is fantastic. Post this on a lot of other boards and DevWil would have been ripped a new one.

I did my part. Good luck have Batman, duder.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DevWil
@Choffy: yes, yes, and big ol' bucket of thanks! 
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Xeiphyer
@ChristianConservativeVinny said:
You DO realize you're basically asking for mass downvoting, right?
Why would somebody be an asshole and downvote a person who frequents the same site as the rest of us, and is obviously pouring his heart out. 

You don't have a lot of posts so I assume you aren't that familiar with the culture in our forums, but even though we are dicks to each other all the time, we always come together to help out a fellow GB member.
Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By ComradeKritstov

Always happy to help a duder out. I actually had a lot of fun with the foggy fields game once I got the hang of it.

RLLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RLLink

Done and done, and with that... I shall clock out.

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By birchman

I'll always help Foppa out.

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CaptainObvious

Okaaaaaaaaay.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Since this isn't another dumb girl advice thread, I will help!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By FancySoapsMan

You seem to really care about this so I'll help you out.

Ciffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Ciffy

Done.  I think what the other poster meant (and if not, here's a suggestion) is that the hit boxes on ffshmup aren't clear or are too small.  Also, there's no sense of progression on any of your games.  I don't know when it's going to be over / how much further I have to go until I've completed it.  foggy fields (both) have stage numbers, but those aren't really worth anything if I don't know how many stages there ARE. 

That being said, you definitely have a cool concept with foggy fields, it's something original that I haven't seen before (and I play a ton of games on kong); I hope it does well for you.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

#24  Edited By bobafettjm

I went ahead and rated them for you.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DevWil
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By JJWeatherman

Not sure if time's up, but if not, vote, people! :D

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Jeust
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By themangalist

I'd love to see people living their dreams. You got my vote.

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DevWil
@JJWeatherman: time's not up for a few hours! 

@themangalist: you're the absolute best. well, you're tied with everybody else in this thread who was awesome too, but you're in elite company. 

the top 20 get locked in at 11:59:59 PM PST tonight! one of my games is in the top 20, but who knows what could happen! things can swing pretty quickly on kongregate, and my two other games are just outside of the top 20. 

if this works out, i really owe it to you guys. i have no doubt that, without your help, things wouldn't have gone as well as they are. fingers crossed!
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rated them all 5 stars.  Good luck.

(Did play them, foggy fields ones were kinda cool)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By MezZa

Still time left? I'll help out a fellow duder in need. If I were in your position I'd want as much help as I could get as well.

Edit: Done

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Rated, rated, rated.  

*thumbs up* good luck, hopefully someone can meet their video game icon. 

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DevWil
@xobballox: YOU get a car! 

@MentalDisruption: YOU get a car! 

@SirOptimusPrime: YOU get a car! 

not from me, though. you'll have to find someone with the money and generosity to give you a car. i don't have the former, so i can't even consider the latter. but you guys are awesome and deserve free cars.
GabbyyGeistt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GabbyyGeistt

hell yeah

Cslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Cslaw

there, I gave you three five star ratings, that means I'm not peculiarly motivated sociopath woo hoo!

GabbyyGeistt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GabbyyGeistt
@GunslingerPanda said:

Since this isn't another dumb girl advice thread, I will help!

Those are the worst
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DevWil
@Cslaw: um...just for future reference (and public safety), what kind of sociopath are you? 

kidding, duder. thanks a ton! 

one of the games has jumped up into 14th, which blows me away. the other two are sitting at 21st and 23rd...so close! 

edit: actually, in regard to the lower-ranking ones: kongregate's sort-by-rating stuff seems a little buggy, at least sometimes. more than once during this contest i've checked the standings and then checked the scores of the games and they've been out of order. regardless, keep your ratings coming, everybody! 

i'm so humbled and impressed by the response this has been getting here. i wish i could thank you guys more effectively than just saying so.
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DevWil

i'd be a hypocrite if i didn't extend some generosity of my own while everybody is being so kind towards me. 

i've been in touch with a fellow developer in the contest, whose game is quite probably my favorite entry. if we weren't so close in the rankings, i'd feel less nervous about this, but: 

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/phantomsnake/play-my-game-for-project-eden/30-83404/ 

it's a really good game and i'd like to see it in the top 20 as well. i just hope it's not at the expense of any of my work :)

phantomsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By phantomsnake

@DevWil: Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it! I would be totally cool if my game came in below yours... As long I make it in that top 20!

Huge thanks to the Giant Bomb community!

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By DevWil

YOU DID IT, YOU GUYS. YOU FUCKING DID IT. YOU'RE THE FUCKING BEST. 

barring unexpected tragedies in record keeping and/or tabulation, ALL THREE OF MY GAMES MADE IT AND SO DID PHANTOMSNAKE'S!!!!!!!! 

if you look at the games and sort them by ranking, it looks like ffShmup is out of the top 20. however, its rating is tied with #20's, which means it moves on to the next round as well! 

i'm so happy, you guys. the least i can do is offer promo codes for the iOS version of foggy fields to anybody who wants one. PM me and i'll throw one your way. 

if i see any prize money from this contest, i'll see about having some sort of random giveaway as a thank you. just know that i'm not in a position to give hundreds of dollars away on a whim, so it might just be a game that's like 6 months old. 

final standings (by my count): 
foggy fields: Kongregate Exclusive Track - #14 
foggy fields: Play, Create, & Listen - #16 
ffShmup - tied for #20 

you're all wonderful. i can't believe all three of my entries made it, and let's not forget phantomsnake. his game got locked in at #19 and totally deserves to make the cut. 

to quote swery, I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

phantomsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By phantomsnake

Congratulations DevWil!! Thanks everyone! You're awesome!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#42  Edited By JJWeatherman

@DevWil said:

YOU DID IT, YOU GUYS. YOU FUCKING DID IT. YOU'RE THE FUCKING BEST. barring unexpected tragedies in record keeping and/or tabulation, ALL THREE OF MY GAMES MADE IT AND SO DID PHANTOMSNAKE'S!!!!!!!! if you look at the games and sort them by ranking, it looks like ffShmup is out of the top 20. however, its rating is tied with #20's, which means it moves on to the next round as well! i'm so happy, you guys. the least i can do is offer promo codes for the iOS version of foggy fields to anybody who wants one. PM me and i'll throw one your way. if i see any prize money from this contest, i'll see about having some sort of random giveaway as a thank you. just know that i'm not in a position to give hundreds of dollars away on a whim, so it might just be a game that's like 6 months old. final standings (by my count): foggy fields: Kongregate Exclusive Track - #14 foggy fields: Play, Create, & Listen - #16 ffShmup - tied for #20 you're all wonderful. i can't believe all three of my entries made it, and let's not forget phantomsnake. his game got locked in at #19 and totally deserves to make the cut. to quote swery, I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

Glad it worked out! :D

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By dungbootle

Congrats man, glad to help!

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Yay, happy mode for GB. 

:D Congrats

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Barrock

Congrats duder. Any idea when he's going to see the games?

DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DevWil
@Barrock: thanks! 

the winners will be announced on July 11th.