Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Daniel

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd come by and drop a line on what I've been doing lately. It may sound silly, but I'm thinking about how feasible it would be to make a bid for Nancy Pelosi's Congressional CA-8th (The Fightin' 8th!) District, which is basically San Francisco.

I made the joke a few months ago on Facebook and Twitter and actually got a lot of positive response from friends and family saying that I should. So, I decided that at least I'd start a website, so I did! It's www.MiesnerByMajority.com if anyone wants to check it out.

I'll be updating it pretty frequently. Mostly, it's an educational pursuit, and I hope to have a conversation with everyone on the site, and I hope we have some really engaging talks on the political issues.

It may be a fruitless venture, and I'm far from naive about how difficult it'll be. But hey, this is a start at least.

Hope you're all well. Hope to be on GB more than I have been.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

What stance will you take on regulation of nuclear arms :P?

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Daniel

Equal disarmament with Russia to an agreed upon level, followed by diplomatic pressure for other nuclear states to disarm and or/suspend nuclear programs. Leading by example.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
daniel said:
"Equal disarmament with Russia to an agreed upon level, followed by diplomatic pressure for other nuclear states to disarm and or/suspend nuclear programs. Leading by example."
Didn't get the joke, did you? And does "lead by example" mean "disarm ourselves?" That'd be symbolically important, given how we're the only guys to use the weapons outside testing them. But this brings up the problem of countries who hate us, like Iran and North Korea. How to handle nuclear disarmament of them?
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PercyChuggs

What is your stance on the growing Arbys Sauce crisis. Energy experts at the International Deliciousness Symposium in Stockholm determined that by 2011, we will have used up 25% of the worlds supply of Arbys Sauce. What kind of measures would you impose to limit the US's consumption of Arbys Sauce?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoG

You plan to run against Nancy Pelosi? That takes guts, dude, and it's an uphill climb. Good luck man.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By vaiz

What is your stance of Jack in the Box's new logo? I consider this a very important issue.

No, seriously though, good luck.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By ManMadeGod

Please, if you or anyone can get Nancy Pelosi out of our government, than I am all for it. Who the hell would vote for that women?

You're going to need a lot of money to get your name out there, so good luck with that.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

Go for it, networking and memories for a life time.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Have you got the backing of bankers? Lobby groups? Industrial-military complex? Which news media corporations do you have on your side?

Nope?

You don't stand a chance of being elected "by the people".

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Go for it, you can learn just by doing.

I have nothing else to add, that is positive.  Accept...   KEY SER SO ZE!!!!KEY SER SO ZE!!!!KEY SER SO ZE!!!!

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Snipzor

Repeat after me. "I enjoy the company of prostitutes because...".

Good luck with it though, seriously, it's always fun to run for something (Going to run for mayor of city after college).

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StaticFalconar

I'm not so sure I would vote for you (don't know where you stand on anything), but I would support you running; afterall you gotta make the established politicians earn their title come election time.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JudgeDread

thats really cool!!
no matter what your politcal standpoint is the world needs more people like you
and gamers need more people like you in politics

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daniel

Thanks for the responses duders. I really do hope it pans out. As for where I stand on the major issues, I definitely have my political dispositions, but I still need to develop stronger stances. I guess in a way that's what this site is for, to allow me an outlet to write on the major, and not so major, issues and get responses from folks and see where they stand.

Pelosi is a political giant, there's no doubt about that. I might have to shoot for a smaller district, or less well known at least, in order to make my way into politics, but I hope not. If nothing else, this should be an entertaining endeavor.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BiggerBomb

I might be a Democrat, but I am by no means a fan of Pelosi. What party would you be running with?

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daniel

Most likely Democrats BiggerBomb. Pelosi seems out of touch. She's Washington, not San Francisco. And while I understand her role as Speaker keeps her away from her district, I wish politicians at large would be more in touch.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Good luck, man. Good stuff.

Dennis Hastert graduated from my high school, so I'm familiar with speakers and how they work. What you have to do . . . is punch them in the balls as hard as you can.
Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kinarion

Did you go to public school in SF?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By jakob187

Dood, I would totally back you solely on the basis that the news outlets would say this:

"Daniel, who used to work for Whiskey Media and helped maintain the website Giant Bomb.com..."

Yeah...absolutely!
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Daniel

Haha, jackob187, thanks. That was an easy vote ;)

Kinarion, I didn't. I grew up in the East Bay (San Leandro) and now am living in Santa Barbara. Graduating in June from UCSB and then moving to San Francisco.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CL60

I'm Canadian though. :'(

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
daniel said:
"Haha, jackob187, thanks. That was an easy vote ;)Kinarion, I didn't. I grew up in the East Bay (San Leandro) and now am living in Santa Barbara. Graduating in June from UCSB and then moving to San Francisco."
Misspelled my username.  Instant vote for Pelosi.  At least you tried, Daniel.  =  /
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvilTwin

^Easy come easy go I guess.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jakob187
EvilTwin said:
"^Easy come easy go I guess."
<-------------- lives in Texas, so it doesn't matter.
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Daniel

Jeez, Canadians and Texans, no use to me ;)

Sorry I misspelled your name, but considering I know who you are and Pelosi has no clue, I think I still deserve the hypothetical vote.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Snipzor
daniel said:
"Jeez, Canadians and Texans, no use to me ;)Sorry I misspelled your name, but considering I know who you are and Pelosi has no clue, I think I still deserve the hypothetical vote."
You deserve my hypothetical vote . . . and the vote of my friend who lives in San Fran. I'll tell him of your run.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiggerBomb
daniel said:
"Most likely Democrats BiggerBomb. Pelosi seems out of touch. She's Washington, not San Francisco. And while I understand her role as Speaker keeps her away from her district, I wish politicians at large would be more in touch."

My asking you what party you would be running with, followed shortly by my elation that you're aligned with my party of choice, is something that I largely expect will be received with some eye-rollings and scoffs, due to my reaction being seemingly partisan. And rightly so, I definitely run with some deep shades of blue. It's not that I am opposed to bi-partisanship as a general rule, however, out of all due respect to any-and-all GiantBomb Republicans, post-Reagan Conservatism has increasingly shifted to an extremist brand of the once-respectable ideology, becoming the entirely foreign entity of Neo-Conservatism. This being something I not only cannot respect, but something I have come to be disgusted with.

I am as much a political junky as a video game nerd, perhaps even moreso. Though I have an extreme interest in politics, this being what I feel can be accurately described as an affectionate addiction, I am nevertheless stricken with hatred for the exponential growth in political misconduct and the subsequent fallout that only affects the masses adversely. So while, to some extent, I do not reject the stances a liberal such as Nancy Pelosi holds on many issues, her unwillingness to take proper action when action is due and her inability to recognize what lines she has no business crossing, only make her incompetence more and more evident.

I don't want to come across as a cynic, but I wouldn't be surprised if my next sentiments come across as cynical; my self-described realism is all too often labeled as cynicism. But "lolwutevz," I'll unabashedly speak my mind as I always do: Your chances of making the slightest dent in Pelosi's political clusterfuck of a firestorm are infinitesimal. Regardless, I'm 100% sincere in my wishing you the best of luck. You're entirely right in saying that politicians seem to be out of touch. Although I am a staunch Democrat, and a very stubborn one at that, I am not one to deny credit when credit is due. Your Governor Schwarzenegger is one of our country's best, and a source of definite envy on my part. Believe me, having an incompetent ass like David Patterson as governor is a bitch and a half. Having more folks in positions of power that are in touch with what matters (read: the people,) such as California's guv'na, will only aid in our country's political climate's struggle to right itself.

Our new President is a fine example of what a leader of Democracy needs to be, as well, but it takes more than the Executive Branch to make an impact. Congress is equally important, both on the Senate floor and in the House of Representatives. Even if you don't succeed in taking the seat, taking the initiative to get shit done is exactly what we-the people-need. I don't live in California and I only turned 17 three months ago. I can't directly contribute my vote. But my want to be apart of the government myself, more specifically my life's goal being to become a U.S. Senator (far-fetched, I know, but again, "lolwutevz,") allows me to empathize. You have my support, daniel.

Long story short,

Go get 'em, duder.
Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Daniel

BiggerBomb,

You're spot on. And I love to see a 17 year old as engaged in politics as you seem to be.

It's unfortunate how distant the U.S. legislative branch seems to be from the people. Indeed, if you ask a lot of people in my district here (Goleta, CA) who their Congress person was, they wouldn't know. And my campus (UCSB) had the highest voting rate of all the UCs in the 2008 election. What does that tell us? For a highly covered race like we had, people were intensely interested and showed it by going to the polls. For a lot of people, I'm sure, picking House/Senate candidates was an afterthought. It's time to make our government a reflection of us again. And you're probably right, I don't stand much of a chance (if any at all) in making a dent in Pelosi's "political clusterfuck of a firestorm" (haha), but oh well.

I'm going to try to spread the word on the cheap and make it as viral a bid as possible.

Also, do you blog over at Whiskey's political site, PoliticalBase? You'd enjoy it. I worked on it for a while before moving over to GiantBomb.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolverine

Good Luck! If I were you I would remove the navbar on the top of your site to make it look better. PM me if you need any help.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Daniel

Hey Wolverine,

How do you do that? It's a good recommendation.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By RHCPfan24

I will be blind to politics just to know that a giantbomb.com staff member is running for political office. That sounds awesome.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Daniel

Scratch that, simple Google search helped me out. Thanks, looks better!

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By mracoon

Go for it, you haven't really got anything to lose.

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Daniel

Thanks dude.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiggerBomb
daniel said:
"BiggerBomb,

You're spot on. And I love to see a 17 year old as engaged in politics as you seem to be.

It's unfortunate how distant the U.S. legislative branch seems to be from the people. Indeed, if you ask a lot of people in my district here (Goleta, CA) who their Congress person was, they wouldn't know. And my campus (UCSB) had the highest voting rate of all the UCs in the 2008 election. What does that tell us? For a highly covered race like we had, people were intensely interested and showed it by going to the polls. For a lot of people, I'm sure, picking House/Senate candidates was an afterthought. It's time to make our government a reflection of us again. And you're probably right, I don't stand much of a chance (if any at all) in making a dent in Pelosi's "political clusterfuck of a firestorm" (haha), but oh well.

I'm going to try to spread the word on the cheap and make it as viral a bid as possible.

Also, do you blog over at Whiskey's political site, PoliticalBase? You'd enjoy it. I worked on it for a while before moving over to GiantBomb."

Your chances aren't nonexistent, they're just small. I mean, who would have suspected that the food stamp raised, once drug addicted, Hawaiian born African-American, son of a Kenyan immigrant would eventually rise to become the leader of the free world? Probably no one. So, yeah, you are certainly correct that you don't stand much of a chance. You do stand a chance, though. Don't let the odds dissuade you.

As for the political website, I might have to shy away. It isn't that I'm intimidated, I'm not. I stood up in front of hundreds of my highschool peers and gave a speech for the support of Barack Obama in my highschool's mock-Presidential Debate. But I have a bitter-sweet relationship with political discourse. On one hand, the heat of the debate is like my life's blood; yet, on the flip side, I can become so riled up to the point that I feel like my brain will pop. And, believe me, as a junior in highschool who already has enough on his plate, more stress on the camel's back isn't exactly conducive to sanity. ;D

Anyway, again, the best of luck to you. Break your leg, break Pelosi's foothold.
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Coltonio7

I think you can do it Daniel, you've yet to show that you CAN'T do it.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By Karmum

I do recall you mentioning a few months ago about creating a game on politics, so I'm not so surprised. Good luck, though.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#39  Edited By ManMadeGod
BiggerBomb said:
"daniel said:
"Most likely Democrats BiggerBomb. Pelosi seems out of touch. She's Washington, not San Francisco. And while I understand her role as Speaker keeps her away from her district, I wish politicians at large would be more in touch."
My asking you what party you would be running with, followed shortly by my elation that you're aligned with my party of choice, is something that I largely expect will be received with some eye-rollings and scoffs, due to my reaction being seemingly partisan. And rightly so, I definitely run with some deep shades of blue. It's not that I am opposed to bi-partisanship as a general rule, however, out of all due respect to any-and-all GiantBomb Republicans, post-Reagan Conservatism has increasingly shifted to an extremist brand of the once-respectable ideology, becoming the entirely foreign entity of Neo-Conservatism. This being something I not only cannot respect, but something I have come to be disgusted with.I am as much a political junky as a video game nerd, perhaps even moreso. Though I have an extreme interest in politics, this being what I feel can be accurately described as an affectionate addiction, I am nevertheless stricken with hatred for the exponential growth in political misconduct and the subsequent fallout that only affects the masses adversely. So while, to some extent, I do not reject the stances a liberal such as Nancy Pelosi holds on many issues, her unwillingness to take proper action when action is due and her inability to recognize what lines she has no business crossing, only make her incompetence more and more evident.I don't want to come across as a cynic, but I wouldn't be surprised if my next sentiments come across as cynical; my self-described realism is all too often labeled as cynicism. But "lolwutevz," I'll unabashedly speak my mind as I always do: Your chances of making the slightest dent in Pelosi's political clusterfuck of a firestorm are infinitesimal. Regardless, I'm 100% sincere in my wishing you the best of luck. You're entirely right in saying that politicians seem to be out of touch. Although I am a staunch Democrat, and a very stubborn one at that, I am not one to deny credit when credit is due. Your Governor Schwarzenegger is one of our country's best, and a source of definite envy on my part. Believe me, having an incompetent ass like David Patterson as governor is a bitch and a half. Having more folks in positions of power that are in touch with what matters (read: the people,) such as California's guv'na, will only aid in our country's political climate's struggle to right itself.Our new President is a fine example of what a leader of Democracy needs to be, as well, but it takes more than the Executive Branch to make an impact. Congress is equally important, both on the Senate floor and in the House of Representatives. Even if you don't succeed in taking the seat, taking the initiative to get shit done is exactly what we-the people-need. I don't live in California and I only turned 17 three months ago. I can't directly contribute my vote. But my want to be apart of the government myself, more specifically my life's goal being to become a U.S. Senator (far-fetched, I know, but again, "lolwutevz,") allows me to empathize. You have my support, daniel.Long story short,Go get 'em, duder."
Not to go off topic, but what the hell is up with Patterson? Everyday I wake up, read the newspaper, and ask myself what is wrong in that man's head. Doesn't he have people around him to help or suggest that maybe something (or everything) he is doing is wrong? Very frustrating.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BiggerBomb
ManMadeGod said:
"Not to go off topic, but what the hell is up with Patterson? Everyday I wake up, read the newspaper, and ask myself what is wrong in that man's head. Doesn't he have people around him to help or suggest that maybe something (or everything) he is doing is wrong? Very frustrating."

Evidently not. But to the man's credit, it takes a lot of balls to say outright that you want to legalize gay marriage throughout the state. I respect the decision, very much so; however, that doesn't change the fact that he's a colossal douche bag.

Also, not to perpetuate the "going-off-topic-ing," but did anyone else here hear about that incident at the baseball game recently. You know? The one where the cat jumped up into the box and Bloomberg caught the ball? Sure, it's strange that a cat ran through the field and jumped onto the railing in front of Patterson's box. But, uh....well, why the hell was Patterson at a baseball game? He's...er, he's blind. >.>
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BoG
BiggerBomb said:
"ManMadeGod said:
"Not to go off topic, but what the hell is up with Patterson? Everyday I wake up, read the newspaper, and ask myself what is wrong in that man's head. Doesn't he have people around him to help or suggest that maybe something (or everything) he is doing is wrong? Very frustrating."

Evidently not. But to the man's credit, it takes a lot of balls to say outright that you want to legalize gay marriage throughout the state. I respect the decision, very much so; however, that doesn't change the fact that he's a colossal douche bag.

Also, not to perpetuate the "going-off-topic-ing," but did anyone else here hear about that incident at the baseball game recently. You know? The one where the cat jumped up into the box and Bloomberg caught the ball? Sure, it's strange that a cat ran through the field and jumped onto the railing in front of Patterson's box. But, uh....well, why the hell was Patterson at a baseball game? He's...er, he's blind. >.>"
You know, I have to say it took a lot bigger balls for my governor, Jon Huntsman Jr., to come out in support of civil unions here in Utah than for your governor to support gay marriage out in NY.

Oh, and didn't Bloomberg change party affiliations again?
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BiggerBomb
BoG said:
"You know, I have to say it took a lot bigger balls for my governor, Jon Huntsman Jr., to come out in support of civil unions here in Utah than for your governor to support gay marriage out in NY."

Considering that you live in Utah, yeah, you're right. It's still a gutsy thing to do, though, no matter where you're situated. But really BoG, do we have to get into a "my governor could beat up your governor!" argument? xD

BoG said:
"Oh, and didn't Bloomberg change party affiliations again?"

He was first a Democrat, then a Republican, and now an Independent. But he's been an Independent for a decent amount of time. He has been in the news recently, though, because of his lobbying to eliminate his term limit. I know little about mayoral politics in New York City, but I have been told by some of the more politically knowledgeable people I know that he has been a great mayor. That said, getting rid of the term limit did rub me the wrong way a bit. Whatever, though. If his re-election is in 2010, I'll be able to vote. He'll probably get mine, as he is an incredibly economically efficient individual. As for Patterson, fuck him. I can't stand the guy. But, unfortunately, if he's the only Democrat running in 2010, I think I might vote for him. But if the rumors of Andrew Cuomo's possible bid for governor turn out to be true, I'll send my vote Cuomo's way.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Snipzor
BoG said:
"You know, I have to say it took a lot bigger balls for my governor, Jon Huntsman Jr., to come out in support of civil unions here in Utah than for your governor to support gay marriage out in NY.
This is true, good for Huntsman to have the insight to support civil union, he sees the opposition but will not be blind to party affiliation. Though Patterson's position is quite powerful, it is much tougher to see the position when you are on the other side.

Sorry, had to put in blind jokes.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BoG
BiggerBomb said:
"BoG said:
"You know, I have to say it took a lot bigger balls for my governor, Jon Huntsman Jr., to come out in support of civil unions here in Utah than for your governor to support gay marriage out in NY."

Considering that you live in Utah, yeah, you're right. It's still a gutsy thing to do, though, no matter where you're situated. But really BoG, do we have to get into a "my governor could beat up your governor!" argument? xD"
We all know who would win

No Caption Provided

He could probably beat up any politician

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BiggerBomb
Snipzor said:
"BoG said:
"You know, I have to say it took a lot bigger balls for my governor, Jon Huntsman Jr., to come out in support of civil unions here in Utah than for your governor to support gay marriage out in NY.
This is true, good for Huntsman to have the insight to support civil union, he sees the opposition but will not be blind to party affiliation. Though Patterson's position is quite powerful, it is much tougher to see the position when you are on the other side.Sorry, had to put in blind jokes."

I was at the election night party in New York City, and Patterson spoke. He was being a dick and speaking during McCain's concession speak, because he thought it would be the best time to talk. Everyone was booing him and telling him to shut up; it was completely disrespectful to mute McCain's speech. I heard it later and it was quality. Anyway, my brother's friends started jeering Patterson, saying shit like "Fucking A', Patterson! Can't you see that McCain is speaking?! ARE YOU BLIND?!"
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By OmegaPirate
BoG said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"BoG said:

Considering that you live in Utah, yeah, you're right. It's still a gutsy thing to do, though, no matter where you're situated. But really BoG, do we have to get into a "my governor could beat up your governor!" argument? xD"

No Caption Provided

"

No Caption Provided

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BiggerBomb
BoG said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"BoG said:

No Caption Provided

"

As I said earlier, I am a big fan of Schwarzenegger.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By OmegaPirate

Well im english so dont really have much bearing in this but all the best in your endeavours daniel san !!1

Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Daniel
Karmum said:
"I do recall you mentioning a few months ago about creating a game on politics, so I'm not so surprised. Good luck, though."
Very good memory!
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Commando
See I told everyone that Giant Bomb was a place for politics. I'm not from California, but I do have some questions anyways, because the House vote affects us all.
What is your view on the 2nd Amendment? Do you think the government should regulate firearms? If so, to what extent?
Do you support Obama's sudden move to higher spending?