• 67 results
Collin1944

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Collin1944

If you like game which i assume you do if you're here you must see this movie. It has many references to video games especially the Nes system. it has a good story and a crazy asian. You must see it. If you have what was your favorite part?

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CaptainObvious

Now what do you mean by "crazy asian"? You better explain yourself young man. 

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By thatfrood

Or... as I like to call them... CRAZIANS!!!!!
AM I RIGHT? EH? EHHHHH?

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@CaptainObvious:  Probably Knives? She is both crazy and asian.
dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By dietmango
@ThatFrood said:
" Or... as I like to call them... CRAZIANS!!!!! AM I RIGHT? EH? EHHHHH? "
I am offended.
dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By dietmango

I don't know. When I saw the trailers I wasn't really interested, mainly because when you put Michael Cera in it...I don't know...

Besides that, can anybody convince me that the movie is actually worth watching?

Kouerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Kouerson
@ThatFrood said:
" Or... as I like to call them... CRAZIANS!!!!! AM I RIGHT? EH? EHHHHH? "
I knew they weren't just cranberries and raisins. Goddamn Ocean Spray.
Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Noodlearms
@Ahmad_Metallic: Is that master chief? 

EDIT: Wow, they finally showed his face.
EvilMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EvilMuffin

I went to see this movie last night and I must say I really enjoyed it. AND I was sober.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm hearing pretty good things about the movie but are the video game references subtle and well-delivered or just obvious and in your face?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

I don't really have any interest in seeing this.
71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 71Ranchero

meh.

Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Obsidian

I loved the graphic novels but I'll probably end up waiting for this to come out on DVD.  It doesn't seem to be nearly as story driven as the first couple books were.

anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By anarchyzombie9
@Ahmad_Metallic:  
Was that monolithic picture really better than typing out a text reply? Anyway, I like the books and want to see the movie. However, this thread is gonna be hijacked by the anti-Michael Cera Brigade any minute.
djstyles92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By djstyles92

It was fucking amazing.  My favorite parts were the fight scenes, so fucking amazing.  Also anybody who doesnt see the movie just because of micheal cera is a fucking retard. 

Avatar image for imayellowfellow
imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By imayellowfellow

this movie was awesome, it's disappointing that people dont watch it because michael cera is in it, he really did a great job with this. The Edgar Wright dialogue shines through really well.

btw, hating something because its "hipster" is in itself FUCKING HIPSTER. Watch a movie because it seems interesting dont get turned off because it seems attached to a general social crowd or something, god modern subculture is just so annoying. I went to the movies this friday and my choices were the expendables, step up 3d, and scott pilgrim. I chose scott pilgrim and enjoyed it done and done

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By gingertastic_10

The whole movie is pure win. I loved the Thomas Jane cameo and the Seinfeld moment. CLASSIC!!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By recroulette

I'm gonna wait til opening weekend hype dies down before taking any of this seriously.

People are making it sound like Family Guy to be quite honest.
"IT'S AWESOME CAUSE IT REFERENCES VIDEO GAMES!"

Avatar image for deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf
deactivated-6022efe9ba3cf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like the part where they reference video games its so funny lulz

imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By imayellowfellow
@Gamer_152:  they range from pretty blatant (some +1 lives and stuff) to subtle (a zelda theme, a warriors reference frame for frame). 
imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By imayellowfellow
@RecSpec: 

well the movie was directed and written by Edgar Wright, the guy behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, which are in my opinion gems so if you don't want to get goaded by all the seemingly "hipster" references to video game culture and stuff, which is rubbish in my opinion, watch it for that kind of writing if you enjoyed those other movies.
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Three0neFive
@RecSpec said:
" I'm gonna wait til opening weekend hype dies down before taking any of this seriously.  People are making it sound like Family Guy to be quite honest. "IT'S AWESOME CAUSE IT REFERENCES VIDEO GAMES!" "
Basically this.

It seems quite hilarious that the people I know who are interested in seeing this are the same people who turn around and go "Family Guy is trash, too many pop-culture refeerences".
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thatfrood

The Seinfeld sound was absolutely wonderful, I was laughing for a minute straight when that happened.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thatfrood
@Three0neFive said:
" @RecSpec said:
" I'm gonna wait til opening weekend hype dies down before taking any of this seriously.  People are making it sound like Family Guy to be quite honest. "IT'S AWESOME CAUSE IT REFERENCES VIDEO GAMES!" "
Basically this.  It seems quite hilarious that the people I know who are interested in seeing this are the same people who turn around and go "Family Guy is trash, too many pop-culture refeerences". "
Also, see, the funny thing is the film really isn't this. The videogame aesthetic is just that... an aesthetic. Most of the humor comes from the character dialogue, not from over references to something. All of these videogame references are there just as a backdrop, a way to tell the story.
I haven't read the comic book and I wasn't really looking forward to seeing this film... but I enjoyed it. So take that for what it's worth. It's a good film.
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DrPockets000
@ThatFrood said:
" @Three0neFive said:
" @RecSpec said:
Basically this.  It seems quite hilarious that the people I know who are interested in seeing this are the same people who turn around and go "Family Guy is trash, too many pop-culture refeerences". "
Also, see, the funny thing is the film really isn't this. The videogame aesthetic is just that... an aesthetic. Most of the humor comes from the character dialogue, not from over references to something. All of these videogame references are there just as a backdrop, a way to tell the story. I haven't read the comic book and I wasn't really looking forward to seeing this film... but I enjoyed it. So take that for what it's worth. It's a good film. "

This.  I was surprised that the video game humor wasn't as forced as I thought it would be.  Most of it came from the goofy dialog.  

People need to get past the fact that Michael Cera is in it.  He was pretty unconventional, and it was an awesome movie.  My favorite part was probably the Lucas Lee scene.  Chris Evans is such a gifted comedic actor. 
tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tallTuck94

it the books there is two crazy asians
unless knives dad isn't in the movie
i'll be seeing it on the 25th thanks to universal not releasing it until then. FUCK!

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By sickVisionz

I thought it was great, but it seemed way more anime/manga inspired than video game inspired to me.  The fight scenes were fantastic.  I don't know what they did but they were more intense and better choreographed and executed than fights scenes in movies that are way more serious.  It's one of the few times where I sneak into a second (in this case 3rd) movie and seriously contemplate buying a ticket when I leave just to show support.

Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Ferginator4k

I saw it yesterday, it is a blast of film. The video game references are there but not blatantly in your face for the most part. I highly recommend it.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pinworm45

Ugh. When I saw the trailer for this movie, which had Micheal Cera's face followed up by the tagline of "an epic of epic epicness", I swore I'd never see this movie after holding back some vomit. 

But it's kinda starting to sound interesting..

actionTACO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By actionTACO

no references to half-life or deus ex.  movie is automatically shit.

EvilMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EvilMuffin

I didn't want to see this movie because of Michael Cera but I am *so* glad I did. I bought the soundtrack... I really liked the music in the film.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fjordson

I'm indifferent towards Michael Cera, but I love Edgar Wright, so I'll be checking it out.

Roundtree_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Roundtree_X

The part that almost made me hurt myself laughing: The Wheel in Scott's head landing between the options "I gotta pee" and "who her?", make him say out-loud "I GOTTA PEE ON HER"...it happened so fast, but it was damn funny.... 

Avatar image for lilasthmaticninja
lilasthmaticninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that movie was amazing! ramona is hot and the video game references were ingenious!

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

I really had no desire to see this, but my friend dragged me to it and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. It was funny, full of action, and over all just a cool, unique feeling movie. Go see it!

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

My favorite parts were probably the dream sequence with the fairy fountain music and the amp against amp fight with the twins.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#37  Edited By AgentJ
@asian_pride said:
" I don't know. When I saw the trailers I wasn't really interested, mainly because when you put Michael Cera in it...I don't know...  Besides that, can anybody convince me that the movie is actually worth watching? "

Same director that did Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Thats all you need to know.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By Hamst3r

I saw it tonight, it was pretty awesome. What helps the whole video game thing work out is that it's incredibly consistent, usually serious about it and very well done. Something I enjoyed a lot about it was how all the subtext was written out on-screen. There were tons of audio cues and stingers and action-texts for events; few of which I found to be jarring or out of place. Some with the sliding scene transitions and fast cuts. It all really helped sell the live-action comic vibe.

In regards to the aforementioned seriousness - This isn't a spoiler as you can see this in the trailers: When someone dies they explode into coins. That's it. This fact is not lingered on for longer than a few seconds if at all. The first time it happens Scott is happy to find coins as it meant he can pay his bus fare. There's no wink and nudge. There's no questioning it. They're not over-sized CGI coins. They're just coins and that's just what happens. It keeping a straight face about most of this keeps it from feeling like it's "trying to hard". It's all ridiculous, but it's acceptable as such as it doesn't come across as faking it.

I found it to be a lot like the Naked Gun films in that regard. Fast wit, dead pan delivery, ridiculous circumstances and ordinary people with super-human abilities at convenient times.

Anyways, it was good. :)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Pinworm45 said:

" Ugh. When I saw the trailer for this movie, which had Micheal Cera's face followed up by the tagline of "an epic of epic epicness", I swore I'd never see this movie after holding back some vomit.   "

damn right! here's my impression of him : 

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#40  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I really want to see it, but it's not out till next month here in Norway. 
MovieBob likes it, and he hasn't failed me yet!

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41  Edited By JonathanMoore

WIll be watching it when it releases in the UK, which I assume is somewhere close to here.

insanegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By insanegamer

it is just awesome a movie i just a love its like if a video game came to life.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fentonalpha
@gingertastic_10 said:

" The whole movie is pure win. I loved the Thomas Jane cameo and the Seinfeld moment. CLASSIC!! "

Seinfield moment and  Thomas Jane were the only parts i really didn't like.
fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By fentonalpha
@actionTACO said:
" no references to half-life or deus ex.  movie is automatically shit. "
Then your enjoyment of movies must be tragic.... i know of none with those references in it.  How old are you btw?... Just as a reference.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#45  Edited By gingertastic_10
@fentonalpha said:
" @gingertastic_10 said:

" The whole movie is pure win. I loved the Thomas Jane cameo and the Seinfeld moment. CLASSIC!! "

Seinfield moment and  Thomas Jane were the only parts i really didn't like. "
Really? Well I can see why you wouldn't like the Seinfeld one, that was a little weird.
lordbazuco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lordbazuco

God, I loved that movie

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fentonalpha

So i just looked up the definition of Hipster.... holy crap i am very close to being one... and i thought i was just retro... Being and 80's child and all.
Edit:  OK so.... Being naturally Retro is OK.... wanting to be Retro is Hipster. 
Edit 2: While discussing this with my wife she classified me as Hetro.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JoeyIA

HE PUNCHED OUT HER HIGHLIGHTS...  HE PUNCHED OUT HER HIGHLIGHTS!

tsolless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tsolless

All you have to do is watch the TANG videos to see that video game references do not a good movie make.

fentonalpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fentonalpha
@tsolless said:

" All you have to do is watch the TANG videos to see that video game references do not a good movie make. "

True but i could counter this by saying playing video-games does not a movie reviewer make.... or something.