Senators Demand the Military Lock Up of American Citizens

junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By junkie

I'm not American but I thought I should post this...

http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-security/senators-demand-military-lock-american-citizens-battlefield-they-define-being?page=1

''While nearly all Americans head to family and friends to celebrate Thanksgiving, the Senate is gearing up for a vote on Monday or Tuesday that goes to the very heart of who we are as Americans. The Senate will be voting on a bill that will direct American military resources not at an enemy shooting at our military in a war zone, but at American citizens and other civilians far from any battlefield — even people in the United States itself.''

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Toxin066

"I will support and defend the Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic." -US military officer oath.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MideonNViscera

So if this bill passes America becomes my enemy by default. That's gay.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By MaddProdigy

Good thing our government can only pass the most trivial and poorly thought out of bills, otherwise I would be scared.

But really, all our rights are already gone with the way "it" has all been going lately. It's just a matter of time, and anyone who gets butt hurt along the way just hasn't grasped the gravity of the situation yet.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By MEATBALL

Everything is so fucked.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BlinkyTM

Well, that sucks.

It's from the ACLU though...I don't know...whatever. Weiner.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

Even if they do pass it, unlikly, it is not constitutional. So they would have to make an admendmendment first

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Dagbiker said:

Even if they do pass it, unlikly, it is not constitutional. So they would have to make an admendmendment first

Sounds like you're giving them ideas.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By ShadowSkill11

I'll reserve judgement until I hear the other side. The ACLU is just as biased and prone to leaving out important information as Fox news.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ravenlight

@ShadowSkill11 said:

I'll reserve judgement until I hear the other side. The ACLU is just as biased and prone to leaving out important information as Fox news.

Right here. "Fair and unbiased" is hard to come by these days.

Avatar image for walker_after_dark
Walker_after_dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can read the bill yourself at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.1867:  Most of it is an appropriations bill, but the the parts that the ACLU are talking about are sections 1031 and 1032. Section 1031 basically says that the military may detain anyone (during wartime) who participated in the September 11 attacks, or are members of al Qaeda or another terrorist organization, or who have committed a "belligerent act" against the US. The military may detain those people indefinitely, without benefit of trial, until the end of the war.  Section 1032 says that the military may hold members of al Qaeda that have participated in planning or carrying out a terrorist attack in custody, but specifically exempts US citizens. 1031 may be used to apply to US citizens, but the indefinite detention clause probably wouldn't hold up in court, since that seems to be a pretty clear habeus corpus violation. Obama has threatened to veto it, if it comes to him.

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Synaptic

@Walker_after_dark said:

You can read the bill yourself at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.1867: Most of it is an appropriations bill, but the the parts that the ACLU are talking about are sections 1031 and 1032. Section 1031 basically says that the military may detain anyone (during wartime) who participated in the September 11 attacks, or are members of al Qaeda or another terrorist organization, or who have committed a "belligerent act" against the US. The military may detain those people indefinitely, without benefit of trial, until the end of the war. Section 1032 says that the military may hold members of al Qaeda that have participated in planning or carrying out a terrorist attack in custody, but specifically exempts US citizens. 1031 may be used to apply to US citizens, but the indefinite detention clause probably wouldn't hold up in court, since that seems to be a pretty clear habeus corpus violation. Obama has threatened to veto it, if it comes to him.

Thanks for the info, and being reasonable/levelheaded.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By scarace360

@Walker_after_dark said:

You can read the bill yourself at http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:S.1867: Most of it is an appropriations bill, but the the parts that the ACLU are talking about are sections 1031 and 1032. Section 1031 basically says that the military may detain anyone (during wartime) who participated in the September 11 attacks, or are members of al Qaeda or another terrorist organization, or who have committed a "belligerent act" against the US. The military may detain those people indefinitely, without benefit of trial, until the end of the war. Section 1032 says that the military may hold members of al Qaeda that have participated in planning or carrying out a terrorist attack in custody, but specifically exempts US citizens. 1031 may be used to apply to US citizens, but the indefinite detention clause probably wouldn't hold up in court, since that seems to be a pretty clear habeus corpus violation. Obama has threatened to veto it, if it comes to him.

Hold on they can hold them for the whole time of that war or as long as they are in a war?

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Still_I_Cry

(Insert comment about bias)

(Insert inevitable remark about Fox News)

(Broaden former post to encompass all news media)

Derp.

Avatar image for walker_after_dark
Walker_after_dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scarace360 said:

Hold on they can hold them for the whole time of that war or as long as they are in a war?

That's one of the options that the bill is proposing, yes (along with options for trial or deportation). Although, that would really just be formalizing what has been going on at Guantanamo all along.