• 71 results
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

A great experience. In a universe like that one it's never long enough in my opinion.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By mpgeist

I liked it, but felt it went on a little too long. Also saw it the old fashioned way, so I can't comment on the FPS or 3D.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Mageman

Does anyone know if it will come out in the 48 fps format on DVD/Bluray ?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Nux

I saw it opening night and really liked it. I thought that the ending dragged a bit but over all I really liked.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#55  Edited By monkeyking1969

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

The three movie format irritates me, because even though...

We see the dragon wake up at the end, we definitely won't see a battle until the third film.

...I could definitely see it working as two films, but I think part 2 is going to end up being a lot of filler. All that being said, I did enjoy it and was surprised at how little it dragged.

Nah, second movie will be the defeat of Smaug as the climax, third movie will be Battle of the Five Armies as the climax. I'm sure most of the Necromancer story will not be tied up until the third movies either. You can already tell that Azog (maybe his son Bolg for good measure) is being set up as the real threat with the Necromancer set up as the shadow power behind him.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By TheHT

Exactly what I was looking for. Just a plain ol' high fantasy adventure, and it doesn't get more high fantasy adventure than a wizard, halfling, and a band of dwarves encountering trolls, orcs, golbins and elves all on their way to slay a motherfucking gold guarding dragon.

The Lord of the Rings movies are amazing, but it's some seriously heavy stuff. Real end of times shit. The Hobbit feels like it's gonna be a more light hearted adventure, rather than an epic quest for the goodness of the whole world. That said, the Smeagol riddle scene made me really uncomfortable.

I haven't read the book so everything that was happening that didn't progress the dragon plot (the trolls, the random rock giants, the goblins) I ate right up rather than question their place in the narrative.

Spoilers (probably) for the rest of the trilogy ahead!

However knowing a bit about the events around that time that they hint either in the film or out of it (the Necromancer, the Battle of the Five Armies) I suspect Smaug will be defeated in The Desolation of Smaug, while the current secondary plot of the orcs hunting the dwarves will ramp up to center stage leading to the Battle of the Five Armies. All the while Radhagast and Gandalf (and maybe the White Council) will be investigating the Necromancer of Mirkwood.

After the Battle of the Five Armies, the White Council will move on the Necromancer and drive him away. Then the Necromancer works his way back to Mordor where he can oversee the building up of forces, which will be the lead-in to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

That's all me guessing what they'll do based on my reading wiki pages though. Whatever happens, I'm very excited to see the rest of the trilogy! One day I'm gonna start reading everything Middle-Earth, cause that whole universe runs deep.

However, I think my two favourite things in Tolkien fiction are firmly entrenched at this point: Tom Bombadil and the Blue Wizards.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By DukesT3

Hopefully I can catch it at 48fps since thats the only reason I care to watch it for.. hopefully its entertaining at least.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ajamafalous
@TheHT said:

Exactly what I was looking for. Just a plain ol' high fantasy adventure, and it doesn't get more high fantasy adventure than a wizard, halfling, and a band of dwarves encountering trolls, orcs, golbins and elves all on their way to slay a motherfucking gold guarding dragon.

The Lord of the Rings movies are amazing, but it's some seriously heavy stuff. Real end of times shit. The Hobbit feels like it's gonna be a more light hearted adventure, rather than an epic quest for the goodness of the whole world. That said, the Smeagol riddle scene made me really uncomfortable.

I haven't read the book so everything that was happening that didn't progress the dragon plot (the trolls, the random rock giants, the goblins) I ate right up rather than question their place in the narrative.

Spoilers (probably) for the rest of the trilogy ahead!

However knowing a bit about the events around that time that they hint either in the film or out of it (the Necromancer, the Battle of the Five Armies) I suspect Smaug will be defeated in The Desolation of Smaug, while the current secondary plot of the orcs hunting the dwarves will ramp up to center stage leading to the Battle of the Five Armies. All the while Radhagast and Gandalf (and maybe the White Council) will be investigating the Necromancer of Mirkwood.

After the Battle of the Five Armies, the White Council will move on the Necromancer and drive him away. Then the Necromancer works his way back to Mordor where he can oversee the building up of forces, which will be the lead-in to the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

That's all me guessing what they'll do based on my reading wiki pages though. Whatever happens, I'm very excited to see the rest of the trilogy! One day I'm gonna start reading everything Middle-Earth, cause that whole universe runs deep.

Pretty much everything in this post is exactly how I feel.

I really love the LOTR universe and have plans to read everything at some point in the future (LOTR trilogy, The Hobbit, even The Silmarillion), but as of now I haven't read any of it (aside from trying to read Fellowship in 7th grade and stopping like 30 pages in).

I could definitely tell that The Hobbit is a more young adult-focused adventure than the decidedly grim LOTR trilogy. It's not what I'd prefer, but I'm not going to fault it for that.

I've never liked Gollum as a character, so I really didn't enjoy that scene at all.

And, as for the 'unnecessary cameos' of Frodo, Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond, etc., I can totally understand that they need to throw in some fanservice callbacks for more casual fans of the series who've only seen the movies, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. I felt like all of their appearances were justified in the context of the movie.

Overall, I didn't like it as much as any of the LOTR movies, but I'm really looking forward to the next one.
Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Parts of it flt flat and pretty soulless. The council at Rivendell scene was shite, for example.

In all, though, I thoroughly enjoyed it. How it stacks up against the LoTR films is probably yet to be seen, but I'd happily include it in a viewing of the series.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Clonedzero

personally i loved it.

i can understand why others would find it overly long, like the scenes in rivendell and with radagast were pretty unnecessary. but im a big enough nerd that i loved every second of it.

like the scene where they're all chilling out looking at their swords and elrond is telling them all the swords names. im like "yeah, they totally just got back from an adventure and are getting their magic items identified ive been there!"

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Aterons

After playing the LOTR BFM games I really disliked their vision Thranduil and the Mirkwood army, expected a guy that's a bit more sturdy and elves dressed similar to rangers... oh well, that's my only small complaint.

This movie is a 10/10, I wanted another LOTR and this seems to deliver.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CheapPoison

Great movie, with a lot to like.

48 frames was mostly nice.. just some pan shots seemed really fast because of it.. Not sure if they were just that fast or if it was the the 48 making it look that way.

And really rapid tiny movement were a bit weird early on.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#63  Edited By RandomHero666

Loved it. Glad Jackson didn't fuck it up. Also, filling in some pretty important shit he left out from LOTR from the books was a good idea.

I just don't see how he can make 3 movies from it.

1st part went through 7 chapters of the book

2nd part will probably be from Carrock, Beorn, Mirkwood, maybe Lake town.

all that would be left for the 3rd part would be lake town/Smaug

Hopefully Mirkwood will be a major part, maybe that's what Gandalf did when the Dwarves were there, in Dol Guldur trying to learn about Sauron/The Necromancer.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By Vonocourt
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TheHT

@Clonedzero said:

like the scene where they're all chilling out looking at their swords and elrond is telling them all the swords names. im like "yeah, they totally just got back from an adventure and are getting their magic items identified ive been there!"

dude yes! and then later the Goblin King as all "holy shit, that's the Goblin Cleaver! kill them all!!" and all the little goblins are running away from it like the sword itself is evil.

good stuff.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By CheapPoison

@BisonHero said:

I saw it in 2D. The movie was fine, and I'll probably see the next two because my friends will all be seeing it, but I'm not excited for them. Like, at all.

I guess I just really feel like the studios are gouging people for money, because this REALLY could've been told in 2 movies, or 1 if they told just the story in The Hobbit. They could've at least had the decency to make it into three 90-minute movies or something. But no. By the looks of it, we're going to get three 3-hour movies. How you turn a 200-page children's book and some sidestory appendices from LotR into 9 hours of cinema (don't even want to think about the extended DVD version) is beyond me. Some scenes just feel really padded out, and while the movie was well made, I did find myself getting bored more easily than in any of the Lord of the Rings movies, because some scenes just drag on and almost nothing is happening. The biggest advantage The Hobbit had over LotR has always been that it's a nice, simple tale that moves much more quickly than LotR, yet they completely squandered that one advantage by A) generally trying to make it more serious and epic by having them fight all the time and make it seem like this quest for vengeance against Smaug, and B) pretending The Hobbit has any need to be just as long as the LotR trilogy.

And to nitpick random things, the dwarves all seem like incredibly skilled warriors, instead of the kind of bumbling oafs most of them were in the book. I guess they had to do that, since the movie REALLY exaggerates a lot of fights that were pretty one-sided in the book, or they straight up invent fights. Like how in the book the trolls just immediately capture the dwarves and tie them up because they are laughably stronger than them, while in the movie the dwarves actually put up a pretty good fight for a while. The movie also has the same weakness as the books, in that there are so many damn dwarves in the party that none of them are very memorable aside from Thorin, but I didn't exactly expect the movie to somehow fix that one.

I did enjoy that Gandalf seemed stoned out of his mind in most scenes and kinda didn't give a fuck and always had that wry little grin on his face. I've always preferred Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the White.

Actually as i understand it the hobbit will only be 2 movies. The last movie will be silmarilion stuff. And quite a bit of stuff from the first 2 movie will be setting things up for the third movie. Probably around half an hour or so.

Shaunage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 10

#67  Edited By Shaunage

I like it a lot, but if someone had problems with the tone and dumb jokes that make up about half of it, I'd totally understand that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BisonHero

@CheapPoison: My understanding was that no movie studio has the rights to adapt anything from The Silmarillion. Though yes, there are a whole bunch of appendices at the end of the LotR books, which are maybe what you're referring to. They've already used some of the material from those appendices in the first Hobbit movie, so I imagine they will continue to incorporate it into the second and third films. If they entirely wrap up all the business with Smaug and Thorin and co. by the end of the 2nd movie, and the 3rd movie is just a couple major battles or whatever that were mentioned in LotR appendices, it seems rather disingenuous to still call the third movie The Hobbit, if they've already wrapped up the actual plot of the book with that name.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By BraveToaster

It was okay, but I was expecting more, since The Hobbit is what got me interested in reading for recreational purposes.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TheHumanDove

I thought it was mediocre. It definitely wasn't anything beyond that

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers