Phyrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Phyrlord

@joemarch said:

Fight Club. About half way through and it's pretty good...but I shouldn't talk about it

Fight club is the only book I have read where I thought the movie adaptation was as good or even better. More of a kudos to the movie makers.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Bruce

@Sursh:

A Richard Wright novel, two Irish plays, a Fairy Tale and Folklore textbook, and a poetry anthology.

Yeah.

Melos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Melos

I'm about a third of the way through Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane. I think it's a bit metaphor heavy, and the dialogue gets grossly melodramatic sometimes, but overall it's intriguing. Plus I'm a sucker for prison stories. I never saw the movie, but I'm going to assume it's not as good as the book since that's the way it usually goes. What I was really looking for was a good psychological thriller novel. That isn't the genre that I feel Shutter Island falls in, so if anyone knows of any books that would qualify, bring 'em on.

Also, I'm stalled about halfway through Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. That book is well written, linguistically speaking, but the story seems to have a lot of padding. Then again, maybe I'm just used to the more economical pacing of a short story or short short.

notkcots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By notkcots

I just finished Portnoy's Complaint and VALIS by Philips Roth and K. Dick, respectively, and I'm still plugging away at Infinite Jest. I think I'm mostly over the hurdle of the absurdly long footnotes now, so the rest should be smooth sailing. I'm finna read Titus Andronicus and some cool looking medieval English history books afterwards.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By HarlechQuinn

Currently I am reading the third book of "Die Götterkriege" which is the follow up series of the "Das Geheimnis von Askir" (A German fantasy cycle by Richard Schwartz, no English translation afaik) and "Jacked" by David Kushner.

Furthermore I ordered an received "Letters from Hades" by Jeffrey Thomasand and I got "Got Fight?: The 50 Zen Principles of Hand-to-face Combat" by Forrest Griffin as a present, so this will be the next two books I'll start to read in the next days.

drewbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#106  Edited By drewbert

@BrickRoad said:

Recently read 'Nothing To Envy'. Pretty moving book really detailing some true stories from the DPRK. Not sure if has read it, or would even want to after his visit, but it is a great read.

Yep! I read it before I went. Probably the best book I've read on the subject, especially if your goal is to understand what life is like in the DPRK for the average citizen. Really well-written.

And while I'm here: just got done reading A World Lit Only By Fire by William Manchester, which is by far my favorite title of a book ever. It's a nonfiction book about the medieval era, specifically how the Renaissance, Reformation, and circumnavigation of the globe by Magellan helped bring humanity out of its thousand-year knowledge drought. I especially liked the first third of it, which talks about day-to-day life in the dark ages, but I also liked reading about the other stuff, since I didn't know much about the Renaissance before reading this book. It's also written for humans, unlike most textbook-style books on history that would bore actual history professors. Manchester isn't a historian (technically, though he is a biographer), so he comes at the subject from an outside perspective, which is perfect for the average reader.

Currently, I'm on Wired for War by P.W. Singer, another nonfiction book, this one about the role robots will play in the future of armed conflict. It's also pretty good, and not only showcases some awesome up-and-coming battle robots, but also delves into the psychology of using robots in warfare, and whether it's a good idea. Despite how awesome it sounds to have robots roaming the battlefield, there are some things Singer brings up that I never considered. Worth checking out if either robots or warfare interests you. Also very well-written.

mrmanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By mrmanga

When i have some time off where i dont have a ton of homework or is busy with some kind of game, i am trying my best to get trough Game of Thrones.

But i really dont have a lot of free time lately so its going slowly.

I also started Battle Royale. Seeing as i loved the movie and the manga adaptation i figured i would enjoy the book as well. This one is going slow too though.

kieran_smith5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#108  Edited By kieran_smith5

The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution -Richard Dawkins

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By justicejanitor

I've started reading Dan Simmons's Hyperion Cantos. I'm on the second book right now and I'm loving it. It's some great Sci-Fi that touches on a lot of interesting subjects not often seen in Sci-Fi.

Tangent : The Nexus 7 is an awesome reading device.

Avatar image for the_infamous_c4
the_infamous_c4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#110  Edited By the_infamous_c4

I'm about halfway through "No EasyDay: the only first hand account of the navy seal mission that killed osama bin laden" despite the way too long title is actually a fantastic read (very "One bullet away")

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#111  Edited By Hunter5024

@GunslingerPanda said:

Read number 4 then get out while you still can! It gets real draggy after that, I've been trying to get through book 8 for nearly a year now.

Well you sure were right! I'm halfway through 5 and I don't think anything has happened in this whole book.

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#112  Edited By theuselessgod

Dan Wells is an awesome writer. I highly suggest "I Am Not a Serial Killer" and "The Hollow City."