So...I think I broke something...again...

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Mars_Cleric

Okay...so...a couple of days after my 360 broke I was playing a game on my PC, which at this point had been on for a while (I don't know exactly how long but it was a reasonably long time). The computer was a bit hot but not super hot.
Suddenly, as I was playing, the computer powers down. At first I thought it was the circuit breaker, but it wasn't. 
I decided to just give it some time to cool down so I went to bed.

The next day I turn it on but I can't connect to/see my home network. I tried redoing the network settings but nothing worked.
I opened it up to see if anything had burnt out but couldn't see anything wrong.
I still can't connect and I'm assuming it's a hardware issue and I'm going to have try different network cards, motherboard slots etc. 

yay...

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mars_Cleric

Okay...so...a couple of days after my 360 broke I was playing a game on my PC, which at this point had been on for a while (I don't know exactly how long but it was a reasonably long time). The computer was a bit hot but not super hot.
Suddenly, as I was playing, the computer powers down. At first I thought it was the circuit breaker, but it wasn't. 
I decided to just give it some time to cool down so I went to bed.

The next day I turn it on but I can't connect to/see my home network. I tried redoing the network settings but nothing worked.
I opened it up to see if anything had burnt out but couldn't see anything wrong.
I still can't connect and I'm assuming it's a hardware issue and I'm going to have try different network cards, motherboard slots etc. 

yay...

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Sounds like a power surge via your modem.  That can kill a network card quite easily.  DSL modems are particularly vulnerable to this.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

Call up your ISP and they can send a guy out to ether fix it or replace it for you.

Dedodido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Dedodido
@Mars_Cleric: Are you on a wireless connection or wired?
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mars_Cleric
@SeriouslyNow said:
"Sounds like a power surge via your modem.  That can kill a network card quite easily.  DSL modems are particularly vulnerable to this. "

I figured a power surge played a part. Couldn't see anything burned out on the card but I only looked quickly.

@crusader8463 said:
"Call up your ISP and they can send a guy out to ether fix it or replace it for you. "

I don't think that happens, plus it's more fun to fix it myself 

@Dedodido
said:
" @Mars_Cleric: Are you on a wireless connection or wired?"

wireless
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Burzmali

You say you can't see your home network. Can you see any other networks? If you can see other networks, then the problem isn't with your computer. Try rebooting your router or manually typing in the network name. If you can't see any networks, or you don't even have the wireless network tray icon, then open up device manager and make sure your wireless card is still working. If it's not in there, is your wireless card onboard or PCI/PCIe? If you think heat caused the problem and the card isn't onboard, you may be able to just reseat it. Turn off your PC, open it up, remove the wireless card and then put it back in. If your wireless card is onboard, then reboot your machine and press F2 to get into the BIOS. Hunt around for the onboard components list and find your network components. Make sure they're enabled. 

If none of that works, you should probably get your DxDiag info and post it so we can see exactly what you're dealing with.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Gizmo

I'd just reformat and install the latest network drivers. 

What OS are you using?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By teh_destroyer
@Burzmali said:
" You say you can't see your home network. Can you see any other networks? If you can see other networks, then the problem isn't with your computer. Try rebooting your router or manually typing in the network name. If you can't see any networks, or you don't even have the wireless network tray icon, then open up device manager and make sure your wireless card is still working. If it's not in there, is your wireless card onboard or PCI/PCIe? If you think heat caused the problem and the card isn't onboard, you may be able to just reseat it. Turn off your PC, open it up, remove the wireless card and then put it back in. If your wireless card is onboard, then reboot your machine and press F2 to get into the BIOS. Hunt around for the onboard components list and find your network components. Make sure they're enabled.  If none of that works, you should probably get your DxDiag info and post it so we can see exactly what you're dealing with. "
Probably the best advise you will get, well said my friend.
Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mars_Cleric
@Burzmali said:
"You say you can't see your home network. Can you see any other networks? If you can see other networks, then the problem isn't with your computer. Try rebooting your router or manually typing in the network name. If you can't see any networks, or you don't even have the wireless network tray icon, then open up device manager and make sure your wireless card is still working. If it's not in there, is your wireless card onboard or PCI/PCIe? If you think heat caused the problem and the card isn't onboard, you may be able to just reseat it. Turn off your PC, open it up, remove the wireless card and then put it back in. If your wireless card is onboard, then reboot your machine and press F2 to get into the BIOS. Hunt around for the onboard components list and find your network components. Make sure they're enabled.  If none of that works, you should probably get your DxDiag info and post it so we can see exactly what you're dealing with. "

Cheers mate, will give it a try and see what happens.