• 104 results
DockJaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By DockJaw

Why do people do it? It's like the culinary equivalent of nu metal.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By Little_Socrates

Do you mean REALLY spicy food or, like, Chipotlé, or do you mean all the way down to mustards and BBQ sauce? 'cause the last two should probably be self-explanatory.

I would enjoy more spicy food if I could eat it, but I have a very low spice tolerance.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Akrid

Apparently you can build an immunity to spiciness, natural or gained. I would guess that those who crave incredibly spicy foods have an immunity as such that they need something with a few more scovilles to get the same sensation that you or I enjoy on foods that are not necessarily considered spicy. Zesty foods, if you may. Though this is coming from an extremely spice-intolerant perspective.

baconbringer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By baconbringer

I have no idea man. Honey bbq wings are about as far as I'll go and those aren't even really that spicy. Anything past that and there is no taste, just pure pain. I'm pretty sure a blazin buffalo wing from BW3's would literally kill me. I guess most people taste something there but there is no difference to me between straight up peppers and really spicy foods, it just hurts.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AiurFlux

I've wondered this myself. Not because I hate the taste of it but because I hate the shits afterwards. When your asshole is burning it's time to ask, "Why the fuck am I eating this?"

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy

I don't know. It's so painful. Although what Akrid says is true, you can build immunity. But WHY you'd want to do that is beyond me.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

With talk of Chipotlé, and Honey BBQ wings this thread is making me hungry.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By yetiantics

"Spicy" does have a flavor. Once you get through the burning or grown accustomed to it, it's too amazing to describe.

Because I can't describe it. Hot sauce for example tastes so good on pizza, wings, fruit, etc.

monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By monstersnsoup

Spicy is fantastic. It adds another element of interest to the food that you're eating.

beckley205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beckley205

It has something to do with endorphins or some chemical reaction that makes you sort of addicted to it, but not really. Now I want some hot wings.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

it's the taste of the flavor. i enjoy spicy food. i don't feel any asshole burning either.

there are some hot sauces that have more flavor than spice. i got this hot sauce that has a smokey flavor and hot. it's pretty good.

EtherealSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By EtherealSlayer
Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Thank you! It seems like whenever I say I don't like spicy food, people act like I'm crazy. I don't want to be in pain while I eat, thank you.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people think it makes them look cooler whenever they eat something really spicy and their friends dont.  Well in all seriousness, I actually have no clue....  I just put on hot sauce on food sometimes 

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Freshbandito

You just need a tolerance, once you have that different levels of spiciness have distinct flavours, I love a good few Jalapeno or birdseye chillis on a sandwich or pizza they add sensation to food and that's what food is all about for me, the sensation of each bite.

And always remember that as a man saying "I don't like spicy food" is a more verbose way of saying "I have a vagina"

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jrinswand
@DockJaw said:

What the fuck does that even mean? Spicy food is amazing. Well, much of it. Not all of it.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use to hate spicy stuff, but as I've gotten a bit older I find the burn of a spicy food that has other great tastes to accompany it can really just give some foods an extra kick of goodness.

However, shit that's so spicy that all it is is spicy-ness... yeah, fuck that. No clue why someone would eat things that are just mega-spicy without any great taste to them.

sockemjetpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sockemjetpack

I eat a lot of spicy food. I was raised in an Italian household where we grew our own hot peppers. It was always a part of weekend dinner to take either fresh or dried hot pepper and sprinkle it on my pasta to give it some zing. Why do I do it? It makes your tastebuds sing that's why. Now I don't like hot just for hots sake... it has to have a nice flavour to it. A good rule of thumb is you want your spicy scale to be at the point of sweat starting to drip down the back of your neck but before you have to start breathing through your mouth in short bursts.

In conclusion... I can't explain why I like it. It's just what I like!

Zelnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zelnox

One of our body's reaction to spicy food is to sweat, and this in turn helps cool us down. Notice how many cultures in hotter climates tend to eat spicy (as availability of spices). Once we start early, we get used to it.

It's interesting, because beer can have an off-putting taste too, but there seems to be this cultural thing with young people drinking lots of it. Eventually, you can develop a more refined appreciation for its taste. Different chilli will have different aromas and tastes as well. When it comes to eating extremely spicy, it can be in good sport, but the nuances are kind of lost. Similarly, strong coffee.

I understand less people who enjoy eating bitter cucumber raw.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Dalai

Because it tastes great and it gives you a rush despite that feeling of pain. That's why I'm not afraid to add some habanero or ghost chili hot sauce on my eggs in the morning. 

Of course I'll be the jerk to say that spice and heat are two different things. Something can be very spicy without pushing the Scoville units and vice versa.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By tim_the_corsair
@DockJaw

@baconbringer

I have no idea man. Honey bbq wings are about as far as I'll go and those aren't even really that spicy. Anything past that and there is no taste, just pure pain. I'm pretty sure a blazin buffalo wing from BW3's would literally kill me. I guess most people taste something there but there is no difference to me between straight up peppers and really spicy foods, it just hurts.

@xyzygy

I don't know. It's so painful. Although what Akrid says is true, you can build immunity. But WHY you'd want to do that is beyond me.

@ShadowConqueror

Thank you! It seems like whenever I say I don't like spicy food, people act like I'm crazy. I don't want to be in pain while I eat, thank you.

What a bunch of pussies! ;D

Love me some spicy food, the hotter the better.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster

I haven't had Chipotle in so long... I need my fix.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By inkerman

Ok, I can actually answer this as someone who hated spicy food, until recently, and have developed a taste for it. Obviously initially it's just painful, but after a few servings of something you can tolerate, one of the milder sauces, you begin to want more and spicier. I'm now at a mild-mid range level, which isn't very impressive I know, but I am continually trying more. Describing the actual taste is more difficult. It suffices to say it isn't just 'pain'. Also note, difference spices have different effects, for example curry spice isn't the same as Thai spice, or wing spice.

I also love Nu Metal. STFU.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By nintendoeats

I don't know, why the hell do people like fish?

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By beej

So you're asking us to explain your experience that you don't like to you in such a way that we can give it normative appeal?

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

You pussies. Spicy food is the best.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By MetalBaofu

Properly spiced "spicy" food is great. Spicy food that is hot just to be hot, and when you eat it all you taste is hot, is bad.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#28  Edited By pyromagnestir

Only if you explain to me how some people can like bland food. Like white rice and plain grilled chicken. Or my mother's favorite hamburger corn and potatoes (shepherd's pie as it is otherwise called, right?)

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Strife777

The only part of spicy foods I hate is getting a runny nose. Otherwise I like it, just not the crazy stuff that gets in the hundreds of thousands on the Scoville scale.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zekhariah

Very spicy food can be a much more intense experience than the normal stuff (e.g. sweating from the sheer flavorness of it). I would not necessarily say something being very hot is any sort of pain sensation. Just a good complement that changes the ye old bog standard experience.

Potts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Potts

@pyromagnestir said:

Only if you explain to me how some people can like bland food. Like white rice and plain grilled chicken. Or my mother's favorite hamburger corn and potatoes (shepherd's pie as it is otherwise called, right?)

White rice & grilled chicken tend to go really well with something spicy, like curry, or a mix of grilled vegetables, with some hot peppers thrown in.

People tend to like spicy food because it "spices up" stuff that would be otherwise bland, like rice, chicken, shepard's pie, etc. Spicy food is tough to get accustomed to, but if you start small, like with dijon mustard and a dash of tabasco in your chili, and work your way up, eventually getting to where you can eat slices of jalepenos on sandwiches/burgers, or stomach those really amazing spicy curry dishes, your palate will thank you.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Hot sauce is gross. Good spicy is something like Jalapenos or Chipotle.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By WMWA

I literally put hot sauce on almost everything. I'm poor

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JonSmith

How spicy we talking, exactly? 'Cause some people spray mace on their food to get it spicy enough for them. As in weaponized, military grade, mace. We talking that spicy? We talking ghost pepper spicy? How far is TOO far?!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShaggE

Because habanero sauce is orgasmic, and it hits that super fine line between pleasure and pain. (although my resistance has gotten too high, so I may need to graduate to ghost chili sauces at some point. Now that shit is flavorful.)

In all seriousness though, exposure usually breeds taste, and I was raised on an authentic-Mexican-heavy diet. I've grown to love the burn.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kermoosh

yea i agree with the others. it adds an extra level of flavor to foods

at first it's just hot but afterwards you get accustomed to it and enjoy the flavor, but have to eat spicier things to keep the flavor in check

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By myke_tuna

Being of Mexican descent, I just grew accustomed to the taste. It's no secret spicy is a key flavor of Mexican cuisine. That said, I don't enjoy the crazy spicy shit. Given a choice between mild, hot, and fire, I'll always go hot. Just enough to get a bit of a sting, but not enough to get those "fiery asshole shits" that have been previously mentioned here. Those really suck. My extended family's dinners are (sometimes) no fucking joke.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By notdavid

I love spicy food and I occasionally enjoy nu metal. Does that make me a bad person? It's not like I listened to more than two Linkin Park albums or anything...

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By Undeadpool

I dunno...why do people eat anything besides rice gruel?

I don't mean that to sound glib or crass, but it's all kind of the same line of reasoning: because it's delicious. There's a whole world of amazing flavors in spice (and a lot of jag-offs who turn everything into a pissing contest).

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Clinkz

Spicy food is amazing. OP is a puss.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Getz

A desire for endorphins combined with a slowly building tolerance to spiciness is what leads most people to crave spicy food. Some people are born in to a culture of spicy food like in Thailand, while others seek it out. Some people like to eat intensely hot peppers but these people are masochists. It's not so hard to fathom if you think about the difference between Frenches mustard and fancier brown mustard; the brown mustard has more flavor because of the spiciness.

shrinerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By shrinerr

I was eating a spicy chicken sandwich at Chick-Fil-A today and I wondered the same thing myself. I think part of it is that I'm a bit of a masochist. But also I've been eating bland tasteless stuff most of my life so I got fucking bored when I ate. Not to say anything that isn't spicy is bad, but these days when I eat something without a unique taste, I might as well be eating Styrofoam.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It is delicious.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By TheHBK

Chipotle is for pussies. Serrano chiles are where I go to and habanero I will not touch, shit is fucked up.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Little_Socrates: I think hes talking about insane currys and stupid hot hot sauce that serves no purpose being that hot. I personally think when it gets that spicy, it's less enjoyment and more of a macho thing, believe me, my brother is one of them.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pinworm45

The burning sensation in your mouth amplifies the taste, making it better. I'll agree that people who are like OH MAN I EAT THE HOTTEST SHIT EVER IT WOULD MAKE THE AVERAGE PERSON PUKE, yes, that's fucking annoying. Being able to tolerate spiciness isn't something to be proud of, any more than liking candy is. It's just there.

What it comes down to, is spiciness can be good so long as it doesn't overwhelm the taste, but rather adds to it.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

I put that shit on everything.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dagbiker

With talk of Chipotlé, and Honey BBQ wings this thread is making me hungry.

This. A hundred times, this.
jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jjnen
@Clinkz

Spicy food is amazing. OP is a puss.

Exactly. More fire shoots out my ass the day after the better. Well maybe that's not a good thing but I love super spicy food.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I never used to like spicy food, but as I've grown older I've begun to love it. I remember when the only thing I'd eat on an Indian menu was a Korma, now when I go for a curry I always pick something from the list of hottest curries. It's super tasty.