Starting a movie and TV site

catthebig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By catthebig

hey all, me and a couple friends want to start a film and tv site in london, england. probably a crazy question, but is there any way we can approach small media companies that would hope to invest and fund us?

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By doobie

what would be your USP

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By limpbishop

Well - unless you have something no one else offers within that area - then no, you will not be likely to find anyone wanting to invest in, not in these days.

The best thing to do, is to start out yourself - say in blog form. This way you - might - be able to attract eyes from someone, and who knows, maybe they want to offer you money for what you do.

But be aware. Starting a site, especially in a field that is covered by hundreds/thousands other - you will have to work immensely hard to stand out from the rest.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By penguindust

Kickstarter! Isn't that the way all projects start these days?

catthebig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By catthebig

Yeah i'm aware of that stuff, I'm just not sure what companies there are who would even entertain the idea.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

@catthebig said:

Yeah i'm aware of that stuff, I'm just not sure what companies there are who would even entertain the idea.

How do you plan to make money?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JasonR86

@catthebig:

Try looking at screwattack.com and see what they did. They were in a similar position 5-6 years ago and have created a fairly successful site without a ton of support. Maybe you could contact the site's creator and ask for suggestions.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Fallen189

@PenguinDust said:

Kickstarter! Isn't that they way all projects start these days?

They're UK based and kickstarter is USA only

Whampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Whampire

I really think that the only way to get something like this off of the ground is to put in the groundwork through blogging and social media. Start to build an audience. When you can prove that people want to follow your take on things, you may be able to make the jump to finding ad revenue.

I think that creating the content because you love the media that you're covering and you have something to say should be the baseline goal. Not sponsorship.

limpbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By limpbishop

@Whampire said:

I really think that the only way to get something like this off of the ground is to put in the groundwork through blogging and social media. Start to build an audience. When you can prove that people want to follow your take on things, you may be able to make the jump to finding ad revenue.

I think that creating the content because you love the media that you're covering and you have something to say should be the baseline goal. Not sponsorship.

QFT ^^

catthebig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By catthebig

are there any grants you can get?