State of 1up

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By greennoodles

So, we are a few months removed from the swith to UGO, and I was wondering what people thought of 1up now? I still like listenup, but the lack of retronauts is killing me. Their written content is ok, not as good as they used to be in my opinion. One thing I will say is that their boards have gone to hell. I wondered for awhile why Garnett read mainly from neogaf on listenup, but after posting a couple topics over there (my first since the switch) and seeing the trolls amerge, I totally get it.

What are your thoughts? 

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

I never went there. Their message boards are messy. Nobody on the staff is memorable except Jon Davis (right name?). Garnett Lee is an annoying dick.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187

Never really bothered with 1UP after I quit reading EGM.  Nonetheless, this Area 5 thing is pretty rad.

Also, love your fucking avatar, green.  "WOLFMAN'S GOT NARDS"!!!  Man...memories...

Maybe I already told you that and don't remember it.  Oh well.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

Moved to Off Topic.

Personally I've never been too fond of 1UP so I have rarely, ever, visited the site enough to comment on it in great detail.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Alexander

I don't visit the site but their podcast has some of the best gaming discussions and I tune in every week for that one.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Systech

I never really associated myself with the site, but I listened to 1UP Yours and currently to ListenUP. Seems like they're doing fine content-wise.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By teptom

They seem to be doing just fine. They launched a couple new podcasts and they still have some pretty good writing talent. I never posted on the boards there though. 

I also miss Retronauts.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

The loss of Broken Pixels makes me sad. There's still Angry Video Game Nerd and Unskippable, but it's really not the same at all.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I never really get past the homepage. For me, 1UP is an excellent collection of podcasts.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Optiow

1up is dead now, I am still a member there and I go to the forums when I feel like it but it is only a matter of time before it dies.

JazzyJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JazzyJeff

A lot of the people that made 1up great are gone. Dan Hsu, Shane Bettenhausen, Jeff Green, Shawn Elliot, Luke Smith, Che Chou... they're all gone. There are still some great editors there like Milky, Garnett, and Sharkey, but the place isn't the same. Like others have said, the main attraction now is the podcasts. Also, the forums do suck. I kind of consider the GAF more of the 1up forum than the offical 1up boards.

This isn't to say 1up is going down the tubes--I still think it's a fine site with a lot of integrity. It's just not the same is all.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Optiow
JazzyJeff said:
"A lot of the people that made 1up great are gone. Dan Hsu, Shane Bettenhausen, Jeff Green, Shawn Elliot, Luke Smith, Che Chou... they're all gone. There are still some great editors there like Milky, Garnett, and Sharkey, but the place isn't the same. Like others have said, the main attraction now is the podcasts. Also, the forums do suck. I kind of consider the GAF more of the 1up forum than the offical 1up boards.This isn't to say 1up is going down the tubes--I still think it's a fine site with a lot of integrity. It's just not the same is all."
Yeah it has definitely changed.
greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By greennoodles

Sorry I posted it in General discussion, I assumed it was gaming related, thats my bad. And i dont know if you have said anything about my avatar before, but yes, the wolfman does indeed have nards :) Everyone is much more friendly here. Now that I am on a message board kick, I think I will chill here.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Optiow
greennoodles said:
"Sorry I posted it in General discussion, I assumed it was gaming related, thats my bad. And i dont know if you have said anything about my avatar before, but yes, the wolfman does indeed have nards :) Everyone is much more friendly here. Now that I am on a message board kick, I think I will chill here."
Yeah we are all very friendly here:P
~We have less flaming, trolling etc that most other sites.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

T'is sad, the place seems totally dead now.

There are some cool staff & members over there that I will miss dearly.  Thankfully though, some are here also.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Optiow
Linkyshinks said:
"T'is sad, the place seems totally dead now. There are some cool staff & members over there that I will miss dearly.  Thankfully though, some are here also. "
They do have a lot of cool users in the forums, but some just won't come here.
LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LeoMinor

I use to read EGM back in 2001 until mid 2003 when they changed the format.  Seems like everything from those guys have gone downhill even further. 

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Gunner

Ive never really visited 1up before, but when jeff got fired for gamespot, and all the good people started leaving. I was thinking about making that my new gaming website.

until i found out that jeff was starting a new site.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By gingertastic_10
LeoMinor said:
"I use to read EGM back in 2001 until mid 2003 when they changed the format.  Seems like everything from those guys have gone downhill even further.  "
its a shame, cuz i thought they had some of the best writting in the industry, but i cant say that now....EGM was awesome
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By StarFoxA

I've only been to the site a couple times. I don't really like the layout.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Vinchenzo said:
Nobody on the staff is memorable except Jon Davis (right name?).

Lol.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
Linkyshinks said:
"T'is sad, the place seems totally dead now. "
I looked it up on Alexa just for curiosity's sake, and what I want to know is...

No Caption Provided

What happened to Kotaku? Jesus Christ.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#23  Edited By LordAndrew

That's actually kind of weird. They all seem to have decreased in traffic somewhat except for Giant Bomb, which continues to grow. I really am curious what happened to Kotaku's traffic. I haven't been paying too much attention.
I actually stopped going to 1UP some time ago because I couldn't post new blogs for some reason. And then after UGO bought 1UP, that pretty much eliminated any chance of me going back. They got rid of just about everyone I knew, and since I wasn't posting blogs there any more I just can't bring myself to go back.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mercator

The whole 1up affair is what lead me here...I am not going to lie...in its former glory it was the only videogame podcast I cared for. Listen Up IMO is still the best Videogame related podcast (sorry GB) but now it is seriously lacking Bettenhausens encyclopedic game knowledge. I dont read the content anymore, and aside from Sharkey I dont care for the editors much. If it werent for Davidsons regular appearances and the usually interesting 4th chair i would probably stop listening.

So thats why I am here..and thats why i listened to the bombcast. Which, honestly, hasnt been doing it for me lately. Everything seems so negative in tone lately. Someone needs to be excited for something. Also Gerstman saying Henry Hatsworth was "easy" was a bit suspect...the game is fucking broken near the end. If you dont play the game all the way through dont talk like you did.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shadow

They were my fifth choice for a gaming podcast source.  That's about as much as I paid attention to them.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By maxszy

I still listen to... Listen UP but thats it. I like Garnett and John Davidson when he is on. Never go tot he site anymore though.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By crunchUK

never ever been there