The Grammar Police: Lesson One. There, they're and their.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Edited By Captain_Insano

Hello all,

Now I am aware that this is the internet, and people do not come here to Giantbomb to be lectured on correct sentence structure and grammar. Indeed people often intentionally type incorrectly on the internet as a way to kick back and as a means of convenience (e.g u r lame). 
However it is disheartening to see people make simple mistakes that I am certain carries over to their actual lives. Simple mistakes that are easily corrected when thought about. I myself am not the worlds premier writer or expert on grammar, and I often make plenty of mistakes. However there are some things that really irritate me and, no matter how much thought you put into your topics or threads, if you make one of these mistakes, it shows that you are not all that intelligent and essentially invalidates your arguments. I know that last bit was fairly judgemental but how you write can change the validity of the content.

So quite simply:

1. There = refers to a location or a particular point. Examples: Right = I am going over there. I see what you did there. 
                                                                                                  Wrong = Their is a fair point you have made.
2. Their = refers to ownership, something belonging or associated with one or more persons. Examples:
                                                                                                  Right = That is their opinion. I like their game collection.
                                                                                                  Wrong = I see what you did their.
3. They're = merely a contraction of 'they are'. Examples:
                                                                                                  Right = They're going to the ball game today.
                                                                                                  Wrong = They're games are amazing.

So to conclude, I know I'm going to come across as an English snob and a bit of a dickhead, but that's ok. If someone, somewhere, learns something from this, then I have achieved something. 

Cheers everyone.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Captain_Insano

Hello all,

Now I am aware that this is the internet, and people do not come here to Giantbomb to be lectured on correct sentence structure and grammar. Indeed people often intentionally type incorrectly on the internet as a way to kick back and as a means of convenience (e.g u r lame). 
However it is disheartening to see people make simple mistakes that I am certain carries over to their actual lives. Simple mistakes that are easily corrected when thought about. I myself am not the worlds premier writer or expert on grammar, and I often make plenty of mistakes. However there are some things that really irritate me and, no matter how much thought you put into your topics or threads, if you make one of these mistakes, it shows that you are not all that intelligent and essentially invalidates your arguments. I know that last bit was fairly judgemental but how you write can change the validity of the content.

So quite simply:

1. There = refers to a location or a particular point. Examples: Right = I am going over there. I see what you did there. 
                                                                                                  Wrong = Their is a fair point you have made.
2. Their = refers to ownership, something belonging or associated with one or more persons. Examples:
                                                                                                  Right = That is their opinion. I like their game collection.
                                                                                                  Wrong = I see what you did their.
3. They're = merely a contraction of 'they are'. Examples:
                                                                                                  Right = They're going to the ball game today.
                                                                                                  Wrong = They're games are amazing.

So to conclude, I know I'm going to come across as an English snob and a bit of a dickhead, but that's ok. If someone, somewhere, learns something from this, then I have achieved something. 

Cheers everyone.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Icil

You call them mistakes. Some would call it culture.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By captain_clayman

see?  
who needs elementary school when you have this guy?

thank you, kind sir!

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By JoelTGM

Yeah I think people should learn that already... I mean, you should know what you're saying and what the words mean.  When it comes to good grammar and all that, I don't really care usually.  If I write the way I've actually been taught to, I'd just come off sounding too serious.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

Their seems to be they're police out for some of there police problems.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Captain_Insano
@DOUBLESHOCK: yea, I don't expect that people will use nothing but formal language. It's more for when I see people making mistakes with words like 'there' that makes it clear that these are mistakes they naturally make and it effects all their writing. Thanks for your feedback
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Icil said:

" You call them mistakes. Some would call it culture. "

And some people rightly call bacterial overgrowth 'culture'.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By meteora

The grammar and spelling mistake on simple words such as those really annoy me. People also fuck up on "than" and "then". Admittedly, I didn't even know the difference.

Can't think of any other common simple mistakes in grammar or spelling.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Icil said:

And some people rightly call bacterial overgrowth 'culture'. "
And it is pronounced "Kulcha". 

I long ago stopped caring.  There are insufficient people in the world to correct all of the bad spelling, especially American spelling which isn't even English  :/
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icil
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @Icil said:

Look at the examples the OP gave as 'wrong' sentences. Even though the wrong forms of words are used, you still understand the meaning, yes? Does 'their' really need three different forms, then? Why not three definitions? There's a very complex system of picking and choosing that manifests in the form of broken English. But it's only broken in convention, not in meaning. 

I pity you for needing different forms of 'their' to get your message across. 'Dumb' people on the internet have figured out that you really need just one form, and the meaning gets across just fine. English evolves. The conventions they're using are wrong, sure, but wrong conventions doesn't mean English is being bastardized. It's being modernized.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turbomonkey138

No Caption Provided
Fuck you guys I'm dyslexic
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jkz
@Meteora said:
" The grammar and spelling mistake on simple words such as those really annoy me. People also fuck up on "than" and "then". Admittedly, I didn't even know the difference.  Can't think of any other common simple mistakes in grammar or spelling. "
Then is an indicator for time or a way to indicate when something happened in time. 

Than is used to compare two objects/views/things.
vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#13  Edited By vager

I would like to use "they're" all the time but, half the time I don't even notice I made that mistake when I post, and I always double check what I write.  
Probably when I read it out in my head, it sounds correct and move on with out thinking about it any further. 

Don't really care about other peoples grammar mistakes, just as long as I understand what they're talking about.
mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mozzle
@Icil said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @Icil said:

Look at the examples the OP gave as 'wrong' sentences. Even though the wrong forms of words are used, you still understand the meaning, yes? Does 'their' really need three different forms, then? Why not three definitions? There's a very complex system of picking and choosing that manifests in the form of broken English. But it's only broken in convention, not in meaning. 

I pity you for needing different forms of 'their' to get your message across. 'Dumb' people on the internet have figured out that you really need just one form, and the meaning gets across just fine. English evolves. The conventions they're using are wrong, sure, but wrong conventions doesn't mean English is being bastardized. It's being modernized. "
truth 
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By TheHT

Their over they're on there grammer-knatzi mobile. Did I done it!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JJOR64
@TheHT said:
" Their over they're on there grammer-knatzi mobile. Did I done it! "
Like the OMG nazi grammar are you!
Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tarakun

I am a fan of broken English. I think there's a beauty to how one can utilize partial words, or fragments, or grammatically incorrect phrases to get their point across. I think it's what lead me to rap music. 

However, I am driven mad by the complete lack of punctuation. Now, I'm not going to critique someone for using a colon instead of a semicolon. That's ridiculous, and I'm not that anal about it, but for the sake of flow, people need to use commas. I hate having to re-read someone's post because I don't fully understand how they wanted it to sound when read aloud. It's a problem, for the way you read a sentence can change the entire meaning of it, it's why sarcasm doesn't work on the internet.  

Also, and this is only formatting, I've noticed some people still posts walls of text. I remember a poster in another thread said something along the lines of: 
" Press the enter key once in a while. It's good for you. "  <---- Sound Advice  

Luckily, I think Giant Bomb is pretty good about this kind of stuff. Most people articulate their ideas well, and save for the occasional flame-war, everyone's pretty civil to each other. Intelligent conversation happens here, and that's rare for the internet.   

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icil
@Tarakun said:
"However, I am driven mad by the complete lack of punctuation."
Generally it's okay, but whenever the reading voice in my brain skips or gets confused because of how badly it needs punctuation, it bothers me. I feel like the writer's fucking with me on purpose.
Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Deusoma
@Icil said:

I pity you for needing different forms of 'their' to get your message across. 'Dumb' people on the internet have figured out that you really need just one form, and the meaning gets across just fine. English evolves. The conventions they're using are wrong, sure, but wrong conventions doesn't mean English is being bastardized. It's being modernized. "
And yet you yourself wrote this comment with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. You're just trying to annoy people, and I'm not sure why.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bruce
@Captain_Insano:  

Yeah...find it a bit ironic considering the errors in your own language. You write like someone who thinks they know how to write and not like someone who actually knows how to. But I suppose you'd catch that end of sentence preposition, right?
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Icil
@Deusoma said:
"And yet you yourself wrote this comment with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. You're just trying to annoy people, and I'm not sure why. "
I just feel like people are quick to separate themselves from things which make no difference in this world. 

I just come to forums to talk. When the social aspect is failing, then I complain. I don't think grammar should ever be a factor in how you gauge a user, though. We should just chill and talk about video games. 

In fact, you can make topics about grammar, people make topics about anything here. It's just the patronizing tone and things like "lesson one" which grate me the wrong way, I'm sorry if I reacted out of proportion. I just can't agree that having good grammar makes you more respected around here. 

Anyways, good night.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jkz
@Deusoma said:
" @Icil said:

And yet you yourself wrote this comment with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation. You're just trying to annoy people, and I'm not sure why. "
Sure, we can infer the meaning through context, but then we don't really need a unified language for everyday communication either, do we? We could just draw pictures for each other, but it would be a hell of a lot harder to interpret each other's meanings. 

Grammar works the same way; sure, you can interpret what someone means if they forget to put an apostrophe in "they're", but it makes it easier to read when you don't have to hesitate and re-read the sentence, just to assure yourself that you are reading it correctly, and that it was a mistake on the writers' part, not your own.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Captain_Insano

As I mentioned in my original post, I am not trying to get people to write in a formal style. However, it irritates me when people get simple things wrong like the use of 'their, they're and there'. I believe that a lot of people who do this are not aware of the errors they are making and this simply makes their writing look less sophisticated at times when it actually matters. In school assignments, exams, application letters etc. This is the main purpose of my 'lesson', not to criticise people for the way they write on the internet, but to assist with those who are ignorant to the problems. The English language is indeed evolving, but these rules still exist for the time being.

Also to the guy who criticised the way I wrote, I don't think he understood the entire point of my thread. I stated myself that my writing style is not formally correct or the be all and end all. I do teach English, I have published works through university and am actually quite accomplished in this arena. I do have my own style of writing, which perhaps he failed to notice. People can write however they want to write, and I am happy for people to subvert conventions, but they should at least be aware of those conventions.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Icil said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @Icil said:

Oh I see so we should excuse bad grammar and poor sentence structure because our education on the proper use of said grammar gives us the ability to decipher a poorly written sentence.  That makes perfect sense.  
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I stopped caring about this a long time ago. The only thing that still pisses me off is "definately". It's definitely people!

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten

So "police" is just a nicer way to say "Nazi" now? 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo
@ZeForgotten said:
" So "police" is just a nicer way to say "Nazi" now?  "
Always has been.
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Bones8677
@Icil said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @Icil said:

"Dumb" people haven't figured out anything. They're just children who write stuff without having the decency of editing their posts. Do you honestly think that people purposely use poor grammar to make a statement? C'mon now. 
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Fbomb
@Captain_Insano said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK: yea, I don't expect that people will use nothing but formal language. It's more for when I see people making mistakes with words like 'there' that makes it clear that these are mistakes they naturally make and it effects all their writing. Thanks for your feedback "
Your next lesson should be on the proper usage of effects and affects...
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dbz1995

I love you're blog.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By skrutop

Its not that hard, if you pay attention to what your typing.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By Icemael

This is the way I see it: If the people you're trying to educate didn't pay enough attention in English class to learn the difference between 'there', 'their' and 'they're', I seriously doubt they're gonna pay attention to this blog post.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Your very nice for teaching people grammer.  They're minds should be uplifted with knowledge now.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By trophyhunter

The gammar police they live inside of my head.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cap123

if i was doing an english exam, i would do it properly. however, since i'm on an internet forum with generally intelligent people i can hope that they'll be able to decypher my myriad of grammatical mistakes.

Psych0Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Psych0Penguin

Runnin' from the po-lice, thats write

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#37  Edited By ahoodedfigure

If you judge someone's argument based on their grammar mistakes, that's a flagrant fallacy.  But I have to admit that I have similar negative feelings if someone's consistently egregious with their mistakes (see what I did just now?  I hope not).  A personal pet peeve is its and it's.  

Languages, though, have been evolving for about as long as they've existed, and all these grammar and spelling rules are largely an attempt to stem the tide of change that is natural in language.  Given that, and the fact that I'm just as capable of fiddly mistakes that someone could nerd out and judge harshly, I prefer to take this tack:

I do my best not to judge others for crappy spelling and grammar, but I reserve the right to feel joy and kinship with someone who's willing to put in the extra effort to do things close to some species of correct.  Effort in general, I think, is what should be rewarded in these cases anyway. At the same time, I'm also happy to see when someone willingly bends the rules to make this imperfect structure obey them better.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TotalEklypse

wut r yous speaking bout.. i know gets wuts big deels? 

Thats right, when you come across the people in thier ivory towers... you must knock them down off of them and work thier kidneys.  

Relax guy this is da interwebz.
SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

I remember there by tHere, and here is a location. They're is an easy one its just they are. And all that's left is their.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By Bombs_Away

There really isn't any need to be posting this on Giant Bomb. People really should chill out a bit.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Castro
@Fbomb said:
" @Captain_Insano said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK: yea, I don't expect that people will use nothing but formal language. It's more for when I see people making mistakes with words like 'there' that makes it clear that these are mistakes they naturally make and it effects all their writing. Thanks for your feedback "
Your next lesson should be on the proper usage of effects and affects... "

Oh yes! Please do the lesson on "affect" versus "effect." At my last job, I derailed a meeting for thirty minutes when I brought that up and we still couldn't figure out what the difference was. If that makes me an idiot, then fine. I'm comfortable with that. Looking back, there were at least eight people with laptops that could have Googled it. Perhaps they were the idiots.

As far as the topic of this thread is concerned, I don't really worry about it too much. Sometimes, when typing something out super-fast, I'll confuse "since" with "sense." I usually catch it before I post, but sometimes I don't. I'm willing to cut people some slack. However, if I see an entire post that's littered with typos and punctuation errors, I'm less inclined to take what they say seriously (assuming that I can even be bothered to finish the post.)
Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Canberra

When will we discuss effect and affect?

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By aaox

i dnt now wat ur talkng abot i punksuate all the time gr8 and theirs neva any1 complainin usally

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Fbomb
@Castro said:
" @Fbomb said:
" @Captain_Insano said:
Your next lesson should be on the proper usage of effects and affects... "
Oh yes! Please do the lesson on "affect" versus "effect." At my last job, I derailed a meeting for thirty minutes when I brought that up and we still couldn't figure out what the difference was. If that makes me an idiot, then fine. I'm comfortable with that. Looking back, there were at least eight people with laptops that could have Googled it. Perhaps they were the idiots. As far as the topic of this thread is concerned, I don't really worry about it too much. Sometimes, when typing something out super-fast, I'll confuse "since" with "sense." I usually catch it before I post, but sometimes I don't. I'm willing to cut people some slack. However, if I see an entire post that's littered with typos and punctuation errors, I'm less inclined to take what they say seriously (assuming that I can even be bothered to finish the post.) "
Oops. My comment was meant as a jab to the original poster. They make a huge deal of proper word usage, then go ahead and use the word "effect" improperly.
Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Castro
@Fbomb: I don't know if I should feel stupid or not, but you're cool! I went ahead and Googled it myself and I'm pretty sure I know the difference now. Seems pretty straightforward. 
JohnRehill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JohnRehill
@Icil said:
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Now teach us "whom" and semi-colons.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Stang

Learn to use commas the next time you want to act like a grammar nazi. Thanks.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By rollingzeppelin
@Vito_Raliffe: 'Whom' is objective while 'who' is subjective. So if you were making a statement instead of a question you would replace 'who' with 'he/she/they' and you would replace 'whom' with 'him/her/them'. For example:

"You went to the maket with whom?" is correct since if you replace whom with him or her it makes sense as a statement: "You went to the market with him." 
 "You went to the market with who?" is incorrect since replacing who with he/she would be: "You went to the market with he." Clearly this is incorrect and you would get funny looks if you ever said that. 

So there ya go.