The Official Shift+F1 V6 Thread of Speed

mchood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301  Edited By mchood

To be fair to kyvat, Alonso was travelling a lot slower than he should be, Ferrari are crazy to have gone out on inters.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@khann said:

God dammit Kvyat..

That didn't look like his fault, there was a huge opening. Alonso should paid more attention

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hero_swe said:

@khann said:

God dammit Kvyat..

That didn't look like his fault, there was a huge opening. Alonso should paid more attention

Nah, Kvyat was miles back. There was no reason for Alonso to expect the Toro Rosso to fire up the inside. Kvyat out-braked himself and tried his best to prevent an accident, but it was already done.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By hero_swe

Alonso should indeed have expected it, he was on intermediate and was going slow just to prevent himself from going off. Kyvat had the better grip and speed coming in and out of that corner. Just look now at Bottas him nearly going off.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hero_swe said:

Alonso should indeed have expected it, he was on intermediate and was going slow just to prevent himself from going off. Kyvat had the better grip and speed coming in and out of that corner. Just look now at Bottas him nearly going off.

He wasn't making an overtaking move, he was barely in control and sliding through the apex.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

I can't imagine driving an F1 car in any condition, but with that much spray it is just nuts. They must not be able to see some of the corners until they are right on them.

Rasmoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, Magnussen.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: I still disagree, Kyvat made that corner okay and Alonso got from the far outside right onto the Apex, all while being dead slow. If you do that stuff while driving out of shape you have to look out. This is F1 after all, not GP2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c said:

@khann: I still disagree, Kyvat made that corner okay and Alonso got from the far outside right onto the Apex, all while being dead slow. If you do that stuff while driving out of shape you have to look out. This is F1 after all, not GP2.

He was taking the wet line through the corner, though. Kvyat was miles back and Alonso shouldn't really need to expect a car to come out of nowhere. Probably more of a racing (qualifying) incident than anything else, I guess.

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310  Edited By aajf

Williams really can't seem to get it together in the wet. People who have been following practice, have they been struggling in the dry so far this week too?

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khann: If you're going 3 secs a lap slower you need to expect a car from everywhere, all the time. But yes, this shouldn't warrant a penalty for anyone.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iron1c said:

@khann: But yes, this shouldn't warrant a penalty for anyone.

Agreed.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aajf: Williams was fast throughout the weekend, they didn't struggle so much with the weather just now, they struggled with their own tyre choice.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red Bull look really quick when their engine is working. Well, Vettel does.

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart move by Rosberg!

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317  Edited By aajf

Tasty top six, look forward to the race.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting qualifying. Hoping for a dry race.

Phouchg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, impressed by Vettel, he really showed his class today. Don't know if I'm hoping for rain in the race or not, maybe a bit of changeable conditions would make it interesting, but that kind of torrential rain for a full race could be a bit much. :P

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

That was a fun qualifying. Seeing the changing conditions over the course of the morning was particularly interesting to watch. Definitely looking forward to the race, hopefully Hamilton and Vettel don't run into problems again and we get to see what they can do.

Really enjoying my first season of actually paying attention to F1 rather than just glancing at it from time to time when it's on. Thanks again, Drew + Danny (and the rest of you GB Alt+F1 forum guys).

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I for one would love a repeat of this. I love changing conditions mid or just after the race

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By IroN1c

@hero_swe: Let's just hope it won't be a repeat of 2009.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By hero_swe

@iron1c said:

@hero_swe: Let's just hope it won't be a repeat of 2009.

I really liked the start of 2009. But yeah I totally understood why they stopped that one. I actually do hope it's kind of similar to it. Aslong as they keep it going this time. I love it when drivers and teams have to switch strategies, it really makes it clear who will win. It's the ones who can adapt the best.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324  Edited By IroN1c

@hero_swe: And I don't believe in the FIA right now, I think as soon as some rain hits they will pause the race. They need to get their rules consistent, I like wet races (every now and then at least) but what's the point in having wet tyres if you pause a session as soon as some rain hits and they wait until the conditions are good enough for intermediates? They don't ever get tired of touting how "the new generation of wet tyres can push away up to 65 litres of water on track!" but they don't use them. Either get rid of wet racing, like NASCAR, or keep the session going (if it is within reason). Maybe the drivers need to drop down to like 3mins per lap, but thats life and its the same conditions for everyone. Works in GT racing. Also worked in the 90s.

gaggle64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@aajf: A relative drop off in performance in the wet when grip is low is what you might expect with cars that don't enjoy as much aero down-force as the better designed cars from wealthier teams. Should be a good fight from Bottas & Massa if it's dry tomorrow and they can use the William's full speed & grip again.

gaggle64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#326  Edited By gaggle64
diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#327  Edited By diz

@iron1c said:

@hero_swe: And I don't believe in the FIA right now, I think as soon as some rain hits they will pause the race. They need to get their rules consistent, I like wet races (every now and then at least) but what's the point in having wet tyres if you pause a session as soon as some rain hits and they wait until the conditions are good enough for intermediates? They don't ever get tired of touting how "the new generation of wet tyres can push away up to 65 litres of water on track!" but they don't use them. Either get rid of wet racing, like NASCAR, or keep the session going (if it is within reason). Maybe the drivers need to drop down to like 3mins per lap, but thats life and its the same conditions for everyone. Works in GT racing. Also worked in the 90s.

Malaysia has huge downpours of rain in most afternoons at this time of year - like clockwork, and it is more of a monsoon than a shower. It normally stops promptly though and as this circuit is well drained, so the window for wet tyres is small and intermediates are better for a drying track. During the rain, there was too much standing water on track and not even the wets would cope. F1 used to have monsoon tyre options, but I don't think Pirelli make them for this season. The 65 litres of displaced water only gets pushed up into the air anyway - it does not disappear! slowing down doesn't always help either.

I wonder why you think the rules are not consistent, since races often go ahead in the rain (i.e. in the 1976 Fuji GP, where Lauda refused to race because of the conditions and let Hunt win the championship) . GT racing gets stopped if the conditions deteriorate too much also.

Perhaps you'd like to see more racing like Spa 1998:

Loading Video...

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diz: I'm fully aware of Malaysia's weather problem and they made that problem themselves. Why postpone the race until 16:00 local time when you're fully aware of the fact, that that is the time where the big rain usually hits. That's not of service to the viewer, as is the reasoning of Mr. Ecclestone, but rather a disservice because all you see is a delay for x-minutes. I'm also fully aware of the fact that the water just doesn't disappear and that slowing down doesn't help once you reach the threshold for aqua planing. Today definitely were red flag conditions, no questions asked.

Also saying that "races often go ahead in the rain!" and then quote Fuji '76 is basically my argument. They used to race in those conditions, but don't do so anymore. Can't put my finger on exactly when that happened, but must've been somewhere around '07-'08, the Hamilton/Massa championship era. I think the most infamous example I can think of right now would be Nürburgring '07, where everyone complained about it being undriveable, cars going left and right and like 5-7 cars got stuck in the gravel trap at turn 1. Meanwhile reserver driver Markus Winkelhock went from last to first and comfortably lead the race because he was the only guy that wasn't too stubborn to put on wet tyres (he actually started on them) and even then continued to race reasonably fast. All the others drivers kept it on full/almost full but certainly too much speed, spun out and got stock while he was doing his laps. The race then got red flagged, while meanwhile 2-4 people proved you could drive without a problem in those conditions if you just control yourself. The same thing happened in the AUS quali one or two years ago, Brazilian quali around that same year (Hülkenberg getting pole in the Williams, proving it was driveable) and Canada, the longest red-flag period in F1 yet.

Also Lauda didn't as much refuse to drive, as just saying he couldn't do it because that's a man that knows his limits. He's always the first to complain about today's red flag periods and was furious today. He was complaining for a full hour why they wouldn't drive and would not shut up about it.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#329  Edited By diz

@iron1c said:

@diz: I'm fully aware of Malaysia's weather problem and they made that problem themselves. Why postpone the race until 16:00 local time when you're fully aware of the fact, that that is the time where the big rain usually hits. That's not of service to the viewer, as is the reasoning of Mr. Ecclestone, but rather a disservice because all you see is a delay for x-minutes. I'm also fully aware of the fact that the water just doesn't disappear and that slowing down doesn't help once you reach the threshold for aqua planing. Today definitely were red flag conditions, no questions asked.

Also saying that "races often go ahead in the rain!" and then quote Fuji '76 is basically my argument. They used to race in those conditions, but don't do so anymore. Can't put my finger on exactly when that happened, but must've been somewhere around '07-'08, the Hamilton/Massa championship era. I think the most infamous example I can think of right now would be Nürburgring '07, where everyone complained about it being undriveable, cars going left and right and like 5-7 cars got stuck in the gravel trap at turn 1. Meanwhile reserver driver Markus Winkelhock went from last to first and comfortably lead the race because he was the only guy that wasn't too stubborn to put on wet tyres (he actually started on them) and even then continued to race reasonably fast. All the others drivers kept it on full/almost full but certainly too much speed, spun out and got stock while he was doing his laps. The race then got red flagged, while meanwhile 2-4 people proved you could drive without a problem in those conditions if you just control yourself. The same thing happened in the AUS quali one or two years ago, Brazilian quali around that same year (Hülkenberg getting pole in the Williams, proving it was driveable) and Canada, the longest red-flag period in F1 yet.

Also Lauda didn't as much refuse to drive, as just saying he couldn't do it because that's a man that knows his limits. He's always the first to complain about today's red flag periods and was furious today. He was complaining for a full hour why they wouldn't drive and would not shut up about it.

Well it does not always rain promptly at 16:00 in Sepang. It is more likely to rain in the early evening than in the day though, as in many other tropical places. Also, Fuji 76 was also massively delayed though monsoon rain. Fuji was the first global live televised F1 race ever and the pressure was on the promoter to stage a race because of this. Once the race did get going, after the long wait for the deluge to stop, it then dried up completely. Lauda pulled out of Fuji 76 in the first wet laps because he was scared to have another accident, after only semi-recovering from his horrific injuries at the Nordshleife a few months earlier that year (interview question at 3:46)

Loading Video...

At Nurburgring 07 it started as a dry race, then rained on lap 1, but Winkelhock started from the pits on wets. He also gambled again on using wet tyres in the drying conditions at the restart and was quickly overtaken. He failed to complete the re-started grand prix due to car failure. That race even had a "river" flowing across the track at turn 1 before it was red-flagged! There have been statistically very few red flags because of wet races in GP history: That was why I found your statement about consistency worth countering.

Wet weather racing can make things a random lottery and driver skill is not displayed so much as luck. Although luck plays a big part in F1, it should be balanced with skill and not necessarily the skill to drive very slowly. Aquaplaning is only one of the issues and lack of vision is probably the more important factor in a wet race (like in the Spa clip I posted earlier). I like the fact that F1 has wet races and appreciate the ability of certain drivers to adapt to changing conditions. I think there are limits though and wouldn't expect an F1 race to be meaningful in icy, snowy or monsoon conditions.

IroN1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diz: I am completely aware of Lauda's history and person. Know that while he is a "Legend" he changes his opinion every two seconds. Also it's "Nordschleife" (just kidding :D ). Nürburgring '07 started as a dry race, yes, but it was raining outside of the track before the race and Winkelhock got a call from his manager who was somewhere outside of the track to put on wets. Also, yes, of course he got overtaken later because that Spyker was a huge piece of junk. Also the "river" was something that happened, yes, but it wasn't as bad as TV made it look. Spray always looks worse on TV. I've seen worse over the years.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

While I try to decide if I want to try to stay awake tonight or nap and set an alarm at 3am I found this on tvracer and thought you all would find it interesting.

Loading Video...

User_Undefined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@datarez: The best part of that video is looking at the ear protection the fans are using between the two years.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i didn't get screwed by daylight savings and it looks like it's not raining.

Lets do this.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#334  Edited By Y2Ken

@mister_v said:

Well i didn't get screwed by daylight savings and it looks like it's not raining.

Lets do this.

Yeah I managed to get up in time despite being up until 2am playing the new Diablo content only to realise that it was now 3am thanks to the time change. Looking forward to the race, though.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I predict Kimi in top 3 anyone wanna add to that?

Phouchg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling vettel is gonna take this one. He's looking really focused this weekend

dannyodwyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#337 dannyodwyer  Staff

No way everyone gets through those first two corners without spinning.

Rain_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Malaysian Circuit is such a beautiful circuit. I like it a lot.

Let's hope for a great race, everyone.

ColonelXanders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339  Edited By ColonelXanders

Kobayashi makes it through at least.... Right?

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Vettel is going to be mad seeing as what happened last time. That may well equal very good driving, as little as I want to see him come out on top.

ltsquigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm hoping Ricciardo will make it onto the podium again.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're going to have a nice archive of this season if we discuss every race in this thread :).

Who are you guys going for today? I'm still too new to cheer for any one team or driver yet.

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343  Edited By aajf

@gaggle64: thanks, I understand that, was just wondering if they had been caught at all by others in the mid-pack at all since in these early days it's still not exactly clear who has consistent pace. Mclaren, for example, appear to be struggling compared to last week despite having looked OK in the wet in Australia. Looking forward to seeing the Williams pair moving up today. Enjoy the race!

Gah, I'm so excited you guys, I just hope we don't lose big names so early to reliability issues today.

naqrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344  Edited By naqrin

I am hoping for Alonso to podium.

Freshershest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hamilton is Audi5000

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else think this season might be duel between Merc and Red Bull?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ricciardo showing Vettel what's what.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flat tyre for Kimi and hes out of the podium :(

Freshershest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfizzy: could be. When Hamilton went to Merc everyone said the move had whiffs of being a money grab but right now he is looking pretty smart.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sky just showed the on-board view of Rosberg at the start and god damn these guys have nerves of steel. Had a couple of inches between him and the wall on his right and the same between him and Vettel on the left. Held on and took second.