Things that bother you about Giant Bomb?

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sungahymn

Once, I was reading on a topic about "whether or not you're a believer of Patrick." One of the complaints against him was that, despite that he says that he doesn't want to spoil it, spoils a part of the game. Having never noticed this, I brushed this off. Until I heard the latest Bombcast, where Patrick said he didn't want to spoil anything, but immediately spoiled two of three major plot(?) twists of the game jam game called Nebula...something. This fact disheartened me as I imagined how pissed off other people would get at a generally okay guy.

This complaint is just one of a few for me of the glorious Bombcast, and it made me wonder what other complaints people have about Giant Bomb...

...In general; not only about Patrick, Brad, Jeff, Ryan, or other people and things.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

The email they keep sending me about how they couldn't bill my credit card to pay for the membership 
I know, Automated Email System! I'm buying a new house there's no money to take!  
Stupid robots  

Also when ... someone ... in a Quick Look breezes through a tutorial or skips a cutscene that tells them what they should do next and then the one playing the game goes "This game sucks, I don't know what to do and it didn't tell me what to do" 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

Couldn't we make a thread about what we like about Giant Bomb instead? We need more positivity on these forums.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zeforgotten
@SpikeSpiegel said:

Couldn't we make a thread about what we like about Giant Bomb instead? We need more positivity on these forums.

We've had a lot of those. 

Usually turns out like this: 

"Erhm, helloo, I'm like a total snob here and I'm also like, you know, a guy but now I talk like, you know, a 14 year old girl, so like. I like video games why else would I like be on this site? /total moron mode" 
Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Canteu

That the majority of the editorial staff are abysmal at video games and lack basic video game skills and awareness that even a casual player would have.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sungahymn

@SpikeSpiegel: I will. One of these days.

@ZeForgotten: You and me both man.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

How long until somebody says "me"?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SlasherMan

@Canteu said:

That the majority of the editorial staff are abysmal at video games and lack basic video game skills and awareness that even a casual player would have.

Surprising given their profession.

Also... Not a fan of Patrick. I think the Bombcasts were better before he joined. And yes, he did spoil a few games for me, too.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

Also that @Video_Game_King guy.  
His brain melted down into almost nothing and now his mental health is on the same level as that HitmanAgent47 guy who got banned for being insane. 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shirogane

The fact that you left out Vinny....and that he's gone T_T

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Winternet

@Canteu said:

People complaining about how the staff plays them video games is one of the few things that bothers me on Giant Bomb.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Tylea002

@SlasherMan: What and how many games has Patrick been spoiling? Just curious, I skip over talks of games I'm playing for this very reason, didn't listen to his talk about darksiders, for example.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SlasherMan

@Tylea002 said:

@SlasherMan: What and how many games has Patrick been spoiling? Just curious, I skip over talks of games I'm playing for this very reason, didn't listen to his talk about darksiders, for example.

Pretty much every game he starts talking about, he doesn't hold back like the others do. Everyone else kind of tiptoes around the spoilery stuff, even when the game's a bit old, but it just seems he doesn't bother at all. Catherine stands out in particular for me since that was one game I actually wanted to play. IIRC, he talked about it in multiple podcasts... and there really was no holding back.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Canteu

@Winternet: I didn't complain. I just stated something that irritated me about GB. Possibly the only thing in fact. I don't care how they play, just often their lack of skill is a detriment to recordings.

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By roborobb

That fat GameSpot logo is pretty bothersome at the moment.

But on a serious note, although I don't like to publicly hate on Patrick, but I find his demeanour irritating. Also, where's all the Rich Gallup on this site?!

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tylea002

@SlasherMan: Hmm Yeah - I'm fine with spoilers for games being included, but the lack of warning or notice is an area they could easily improve upon. If they released the podcast with a list of timecodes and spoiler zones, I'd be a lot happier. I HATE spoilers more than anything, especially as I tend to play games years after their initial release, and people saying that 'i didn't care enough' to get it immediately is bullshit.

So yes, for all the technology in that studio, how hard is it to, when a spoiler is mentioned, press a button and have it record the timecode, and then release a list of these things when putting the podcast out there.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WMWA

People discussing little inane things they dislike about Giant Bomb; then thinking these are legitimate complaints and making a thread focused on it.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lack of content.

Elitist community that seem to think they're better than everyone else because they visit a more 'intellectual' website.

The countless 'memes' and 'in-jokes'.

Staff who once said they'd never go down the ads and subscription route, only to do a total U-turn on everything they apparently believed in.

Staff that, for the most part, are terrible at playing games.

Staff with such out-of-whack egos they think people care more about watching them drink and do dumb stuff than actually cover video games.

Staff who ignore and belittle games they've never even tried.

Staff who are unfair to plenty of titles and hardware, and overly complimentary to their favorites.

People in the community who will defend the GB staff to the hilt and suck up to them to no end.

The word 'duder'.

Forum users who refer to people who don't visit GB as 'outsiders'.

Forum users who insist on criticising perfectly fine sites like IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, etc, just because it's not their cup of tea and they'd bend over backwards to take the flag of GiantBomb right up their anus.

Countless PC elitists ruining the name of the PC community.

Countless forum posters who think they're incredibly important because they've got 50,000 posts.

And plenty more.

But mainly lack of content.

Yes, the food here is terrible, and such small portions.

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By DrHawking

The constant Patrick hate on the forums. His articles are great and he meshes well with all the other guys.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlasherMan

@Canteu said:

@Winternet: I didn't complain. I just stated something that irritated me about GB. Possibly the only thing in fact. I don't care how they play, just often their lack of skill is a detriment to recordings.

I think it's their surprising lack of video game sensibilities that sometimes puzzles me. Yes, there are games where some objectives are not so obvious and that's not their fault, but then there are others where anyone who plays enough games should be able to figure out instantly (Shadow of the Colossus QL, anyone?). I get that it's not easy to record, play and talk at the same time, but they've done this for so long you'd think they'd just know how to handle it. That's usually not as big a problem when Vinny or Jeff are around it seems, though.

Either way, don't get me wrong, I still love QLs.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60
@ZeForgotten
The email they keep sending me about how they couldn't bill my credit card to pay for the membership 
I know, Automated Email System! I'm buying a new house there's no money to take!  
Stupid robots  

Also when ... someone ... in a Quick Look breezes through a tutorial or skips a cutscene that tells them what they should do next and then the one playing the game goes "This game sucks, I don't know what to do and it didn't tell me what to do" 
Couldn't be talking about Ryan could you?!
sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sungahymn

@Shirogane: I left out Vinny 'cause there's nothing to complain about him.

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SlasherMan

@Tylea002: Indeed. I do hope they're actually reading this and taking note of your suggestion because these things can clearly be solved in a manner that would please everyone. They just need to a put a little more effort there.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ajamafalous
@James_Giant_Peach said:

Lack of content.

Elitist community that seem to think they're better than everyone else because they visit a more 'intellectual' website.

Staff who once said they'd never go down the ads and subscription route, only to do a total U-turn on everything they apparently believed in.

Staff with such out-of-whack egos they think people care more about watching them drink and do dumb stuff than actually cover video games.

Staff who are unfair to plenty of titles and hardware, and overly complimentary to their favorites.

People in the community who will defend the GB staff to the hilt and suck up to them to no end.

The word 'duder'.

Forum users who insist on criticising perfectly fine sites like IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, etc, just because it's not their cup of tea and they'd bend over backwards to take the flag of GiantBomb right up their anus.

Countless forum posters who think they're incredibly important because they've got 50,000 posts.

And plenty more.

Well don't you sound delightful.
EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By EnchantedEcho

@James_Giant_Peach: Why are you even visiting this site, if you have that many legitimate problems.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Threads like these.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sungahymn

@TheSouthernDandy said:

Threads like these.

Me too.

zecriah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By zecriah

@wmaustin55: Amen

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BonOrbitz

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Lack of content.

The word 'duder'.

And plenty more.

Why do you even visit the site then?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Lack of content.

The word 'duder'.

And plenty more.

There's a lot of shit on that list that I really couldn't give a fuck about because I'm not into video games anymore, but yeah, well put man. 10/10.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Sooty

I think Klepek is a boring podcaster and the indie game preaching gets really annoying.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By killacam

my biggest complaint is that i don't get any chili or pancakes. goddamn you, giantbomb!

also, your negativity

Klaimore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Klaimore

I love all of the stuff this site has to offer.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mnzy

The only thing I sometimes have a problem with, and I'm probably in a minority here, are Quick Looks that are too long.

At the beginning, these guys made 20 minute Quick Looks and that was pretty much what I came here for. Now, some are over an hour, many in the 40-50 minute area and most of the time that's too much for me.

The Flight Crew QLs are an exception to this btw, they had really nice pace.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By daiphyer

I hate that everything had to happen at the time that they are changing offices (Jeff's assignment, Vinny's baby, PAX, the crew's sickness) so we get very little content for some time. :(

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By shirogane

@sungahymn said:

@Shirogane: I left out Vinny 'cause there's nothing to complain about him.

What about the fact that he isn't in every video, and that the podcast isn't just 5 Vinny's talking, and that...well, the staff doesn't just consist of VInnys?

I'm only half joking.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rokkaku

Patrick likes horror stuff. I GET IT. Now please don't mention it for a while.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zeforgotten
@CL60 said:

@ZeForgotten

Stupid robots  

Couldn't be talking about Ryan could you?!
Not only him... 

I mean, .. erhm. "I could be.. or maybe I'm talking about someone else who's part of the staff who blames the games for his own mistakes"  
freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By freakin9

I was going to make a long post, but the reality is, I barely play any new games. It's probably healthy that I'm not completely enthralled with what I'm watching.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ABritishNerd

@Sooty said:

I think Klepek is a boring podcaster and the indie game preaching gets really annoying.

Really? I love Patrick's contributions to the Bombcast. I've never noticed him overly preaching about indie games, he mentions them once in a while and the Molyjam just happened, of course he wants to talk about it.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By AngelN7

The forum users of Giantbomb.com

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bocam

If I had to pick something... the lack of JRPG coverage. Though it's not really a big thing.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Sooty

@ABritishNerd said:

@Sooty said:

Really? I love Patrick's contributions to the Bombcast. I've never noticed him overly preaching about indie games, he mentions them once in a while and the Molyjam just happened, of course he wants to talk about it.

Really, that guy is booooooooring, but I suppose when on a podcast with Vinny how can you not seem boring in comparison?

The Bombcast from yesterday was boring as hell, it must be said.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44  Edited By natetodamax

There isn't really anything that bothers me about Giant Bomb.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ABritishNerd

@Sooty said:

@ABritishNerd said:

@Sooty said:

Really, that guy is booooooooring, but I suppose when on a podcast with Vinny how can you not seem boring in comparison?

The Bombcast from yesterday was boring as hell, it must be said.

I'm listening to it now and I'm tuning out more than usual admittedly. They're talking about Fruit Ninja or something at the moment. That's not a detriment to Patrick though, more showing how awesome Mr Caravella is. Do you not agree he brings an interesting opinion and viewpoint to the Bombcast? Despite your problems with the guy.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By artgarcrunkle

I was going to say the creepy fanboys but that's usually good reading.

Probably the people who think games journalism/reviews should be taken seriously and aren't just here for quicklooks and podcasts.

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By liako21

personally i would like more content for the money i pay. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt because of the big move, but I do really hope how they were saying "it wont be boring" starts to show in the next couple of weeks.

wouldnt mind an all day snes event again (or whichever system they choose)

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AlexW00d

I only really come here for the videos, but due to disliking the way Ryan is, I don't watch that many any more 'cause he is always on them. So I guess I dislike the lack of Vinny, Dave, and Drew. It'd be great if they could be in two places at the same time, then we could have DVD in every video and them still doing their awesome behind the scenes stuff.

I can't really comment on the editorial stuff as I don't come here for that; that is what RPS is for.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dropabombonit

What is with all the Patrick hate, don't think the trick has ever spoiled a game for me and his articles and he comes at things from a different viewpoint. My only problem with giantbomb atm has been how chaotic the last couple of TNT have been. Hope they get better after PAX

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#50  Edited By Hizang

Um...

• Staff - There awesome and there is not on member that I don't dislike.
  • Written content - Very well done and not overwhelming like IGN where they have like 20 a day.
  • Video content - So much awesomeness.
  • Bombcast - One of the best podcasts I listen to.
  • Wiki - The wiki is an amazing thing where you can show your love for things that you are passionate for. I mean have you seen the Hamburger page?
  • Community - The community is like a family to me, there are people that I really like talking to and the community as a whole is very friendly and funny,

Well there is one thing, I feel that Cool baby has taken the spotlight away from Lucha Deer.