Thinking of getting into Star Trek.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By mrfizzy

Ok so after playing Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 and seeing the latest Star Trek movie, im wanting to at least try to get into some of the Star Trek TV series. What i was wondering was, which one should i try? I would just go with the original series but seeing as i dont know how well it has aged (not great i would guess) i didnt want to get turned off by that one and then never try another, possibly better, series.  
Any thoughts on where i should start? Keep in mind i have almost no knowledge about Star Trek outside of the latest movie. 

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By slax

The Original Series is a fun show to watch. But fun in a campy, silly kind of way. Personally I would suggest getting into Next Gen. It's not as campy but it is still very Trekkie. I, knowing I am in the minority, would also say Voyager is another one that is good to watch.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The Original Series is indeed very campy.  It's still good if you can get past that, but I'd recommend starting with the Next Generation, it's widely considered the best but keep in mind it's much more character focused and there's little in the way of big action scenes.  I'd follow that up with Deep Space Nine, which was a very good continuation of TNG, and presents a more down to Earth and gritty side of Starfleet.  Definitely more action based too.

Everything else I'd stay away from.  Bits of Voyager were okay, some people love it but mehh.  Enterprise should be avoided like the plague.

In terms of movies I'd recommend 2, 3 and 4 which are usually considered to be the trilogy (the first movie was totally unrelated and, well, bad), they're based on the original series characters, but the movies are much less campy and don't really require you to have seen the original series to understand.  The sixth one:  The Undiscovered Country is also very good and builds into some of the events you'll see in the Next Generation.  I really enjoyed the much more miltary feel they gave to Starfleet in these movies, but it's something that's almost totally dropped in the Next Generation.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jadeskye

Ryan answered this one pretty conclusively a couple bombcasts ago and luckily i share his view. 

The next generation from series 3 or so.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#5  Edited By mike

Yeah, season 3 of The Next Generation is when it starts to get really good, and you can tell their budget was increased a huge amount over the second season as well. Start with season 3 and if you really like it, you can always go back and watch the first two seasons. TNG isn't really episodic like most shows today, like 24 or BSG. While it helps to be familiar with the characters and there are sometimes vague references to previous events, each episode is pretty self-contained save for a few multi-parters.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Shadow

Don't let that unrelated space stuff fool you.  Star Trek is terrible.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Meowshi

Mass Effect 2 and the new Star Trek movie are very different from the Star Trek television series.  Just to warn you.