To those of you with OLED TVs: Is burn-in something you are worried about or have experienced?

• 63 results
isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

I've only had an OLED for a few months so have not experienced any burn-in yet. I realize that at some point it's probably inevitable, but if I can get a good 6-8 years out of it without major issues I'll be happy. I'm not too worried about it, but I definitely take more care than before to turn the TV off when I'm not using it and try to not leave static images on it like my PC desktop for long periods of time.

And as far as brightness is concerned the TV is definitely bright enough for me. My new apartment doesn't have proper curtains yet and even in daylight or with the streetlights shining in during evenings I can use it on the "dark room" settings without issues. Heck, some things like the end sequence of Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse have been maybe a little too bright for my taste.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By isomeri

@castiel said:

@isomeri: Which OLED do you have?

I have an LG C9 which I got on sale in May. It's been a damn good TV so far and I'm excited to see how it will perform with the new consoles and graphics cards.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By dsjwetrwete

I just want to say that my 48" LG OLED has a noticeable amount of dead pixels and I kind of regret buying it. LG does have good customer service but moving the TV into my living room and having a tech come in to replace the panel is a lot of work, especially with COVID going on. I've even read people having issues with the replacement panels as well, LG's quality control is apparently just bad.

MikeOTron1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsjwetrwete: Going through the same thing with my C9. They didn't make customers aware of the incredibly hard to see protective plastic you need to peel off the back of the TV. Leaving it on causes improper heat dissipation and can mess up the screen. I found this out after I noticed burn in after 2 and a half months. Read about the sticker online, and sure enough...there it was. SO hard to see. Bought the extended warranty and I am just waiting for COVID to blow over before someone can come check it out. Other than that...amazing television. Just shut it off when you leave the room if you are using a device without a screensaver.

dsjwetrwete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By dsjwetrwete

@mikeotron1980: Thanks for reminding me, I just took off the back plastic. I can technically live with the dead pixels, but I honestly don't want to because some of them are grouped together in a way that makes them look like one big hole. It makes me dread white backgrounds. I spent $1500 on this TV and planned on using it for years...

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikeotron1980: Wow, this was the first I heard of it and sure enough there was still a plastic film on the back of the screen. Peeled it off now. Thanks for the info!

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By frytup

@isomeri said:

I've only had an OLED for a few months so have not experienced any burn-in yet. I realize that at some point it's probably inevitable,

I don't know why it would be inevitable. People ITT are really overestimating how easy it is to get burn in on an OLED. I've had my B7 almost three years, and zero problems.

Rttings did an actual test, and it's really not that easy to trash your screen if you're using it normally.

MikeOTron1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I’ve had my LG B9 for about a year and haven’t had any issues.

MtnDoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Burn out the day. Burn out the night. I can't see any reason to put up a fight. I'm living for giving the devil his due. And I'm burnin, I'm burnin, I'm burnin for you.

Lungjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently got an LG CX tv. Even with all the eco settings and AI color grading disabled there are still burn-in safeguards that detect idle pixels and darken the screen. I can notice it happening on a lot of Giant Bomb videos where the camera feed takes up enough of the screen to be considered idle and the whole TV darkens after a certain amount of time. It bothered me at first but it's hard coded into the TV software for a reason I guess. The screen brightens back up if it detects enough pixels have changed.

There's also an option for logo dimming. I watch a lot of GBInfinte and I sometimes get worried that "Next Poll:" will get burnt in but this setting will specifically dim any idle white pixels.