ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ManlyBeast
Upcoming Military Robot Could Feed on Dead Bodies

It could be a combination of 19th-century mechanics, 21st-century technology — and a 20th-century horror movie.

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find — grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

Robotic Technology Inc.'s Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot — that's right, "EATR" — "can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable," reads the company's Web site.

That "biomass" and "other organically-based energy sources" wouldn't necessarily be limited to plant material — animal and human corpses contain plenty of energy, and they'd be plentiful in a war zone.

EATR will be powered by the Waste Heat Engine developed by Cyclone Power Technology of Pompano Beach, Fla., which uses an "external combustion chamber" burning up fuel to heat up water in a closed loop, generating electricity.

The advantages to the military are that the robot would be extremely flexible in fuel sources and could roam on its own for months, even years, without having to be refueled or serviced.

Upon the EATR platform, the Pentagon could build all sorts of things — a transport, an ambulance, a communications center, even a mobile gunship.

In press materials, Robotic Technology presents EATR as an essentially benign artificial creature that fills its belly through "foraging," despite the obvious military purpose.

Upcoming Military Robot Could Feed on Dead Bodies - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News - FOXNews.com

rofl wtf...
Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Keyser_Soze

I'll believe it when I see it. According to Tech shows I watched in the 90's we were all supposed to be wearing computer clothing by now. Yeah, that never happened.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RsistncE
@Keyser_Soze said:
" I'll believe it when I see it. According to Tech shows I watched in the 90's we were all supposed to be wearing computer clothing by now. Yeah, that never happened. "
Yeah the future is always a fucking scam. WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY FLYING CARS?
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

You could try to buy Pioneer's computer jacket thing, surely some are for sale by now, they've been working on it since 01.

For a flying car, try this.

Future is here, we just can't afford it :(
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Keyser_Soze said:
" I'll believe it when I see it. According to Tech shows I watched in the 90's we were all supposed to be wearing computer clothing by now. Yeah, that never happened. "
So you didn't see the clock then?

There was a clock recently invented (no bullshit, this is a real thing) that gets power by also being a flytrap, and digesting flies for energy.

Scary fucking shit if you ask me, also the name? Fuck, now i know they just make up some random bullshit so the acronym is funky.
Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

I have the impression this was posted already too... By Meo I think? Oh well, cool shit.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Keyser_Soze
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Keyser_Soze said:

There was a clock recently invented (no bullshit, this is a real thing) that gets power by also being a flytrap, and digesting flies for energy.

Scary fucking shit if you ask me, also the name? Fuck, now i know they just make up some random bullshit so the acronym is funky.
"
Gadgets like that get invented all the time. The same goes for computer clothing, but seeing these gadgets mass produced and used in very real life environments is a whole step away.

You can buy a flying car, but there are no mass produced ones, they're gimmicks.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I need to see a video of this in action, or I will never believe it.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Arkthemaniac

DIDN'T ANYONE SEE TERMINATOR!?!

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Keyser_Soze said:
" @The_A_Drain said:
" @Keyser_Soze said:

"
Gadgets like that get invented all the time. The same goes for computer clothing, but seeing these gadgets mass produced and used in very real life environments is a whole step away.You can buy a flying car, but there are no mass produced ones, they're gimmicks. "
What I mean is that this seems viable at least as a technology for field tests, maybe not right now but in the near future. I mean, look at solar power, just because it's too expensive to do it on a huge scale would you call it a gimmick? The tech is there, no doubt about it, it's the cost that dictates when something will make it onto the mass market. Just because something isn't mass produced, and super expensive doesnt make it a gimmick.
Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Keyser_Soze
@The_A_Drain said:
What I mean is that this seems viable at least as a technology for field tests, maybe not right now but in the near future. I mean, look at solar power, just because it's too expensive to do it on a huge scale would you call it a gimmick? The tech is there, no doubt about it, it's the cost that dictates when something will make it onto the mass market. Just because something isn't mass produced, and super expensive doesnt make it a gimmick. "
They promised me a network hub server in my underpants and well where is it? Where the fuck is it.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Snipzor

Who needs Cthulhu when we have our own home-made monsters? This is a terrible concept.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RHCPfan24

Zombie Robot? Awesome. Well, similar idea but the idea sounds sweet. I don't know why the robot would have to resort to dead bodies though. That is just disgusting when you think about it.

@Meowayne said:

" "

Just what I was thinking.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

So this is how those protectrons are still roaming the Capital Wasteland.

Also, the Back to the Future II car could even make use of the beer can itself. Not just the hoppy yeast juice.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Arkthemaniac
@Meowayne said:
" "
Wait . . . so they could possibly have the technology to create useabe fuel out of any type of organic substance . . . and their instinct is to make KILLER ROBOTS?

This shit should be put in CARS, for Christ sake. Why is it that technology is always about more effecient weapons first, and then is eventually made into something that benefits people?
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Snipzor said:
" Who needs Cthulhu when we have our own home-made monsters? This is a terrible concept. "
Everyone needs Cthulhu, why do you think there are Cthulhu plushies. Shit, I need a Cthulhu plushie, but they're expensive.

@Keyser_Soze said: 
@The_A_Drain said: 
What I mean is that this seems viable at least as a technology for field tests, maybe not right now but in the near future. I mean, look at solar power, just because it's too expensive to do it on a huge scale would you call it a gimmick? The tech is there, no doubt about it, it's the cost that dictates when something will make it onto the mass market. Just because something isn't mass produced, and super expensive doesnt make it a gimmick. "
They promised me a network hub server in my underpants and well where is it? Where the fuck is it. "
I would imagine it totally exists, but you can't afford one.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Snipzor
@Arkthemaniac: Because almost half the budget goes into military. Armies don't develop cars unless they can shoot rockets at the end.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac
@Snipzor: God, I can't stand this place anymore.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox
@Snipzor: I'm still waiting for my Speed Racer car that can do all sorts of crazy shit.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Snipzor said:
" @Arkthemaniac: Because almost half the budget goes into military. Armies don't develop cars unless they can shoot rockets at the end. "
And lasers. Rockets
and Lasers.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Snipzor
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Snipzor said:
" @Arkthemaniac: Because almost half the budget goes into military. Armies don't develop cars unless they can shoot rockets at the end. "
And lasers. Rockets
and Lasers. "
And sharks. Sharks, with lazers on their heads, and rockets attached to their fins.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's only a matter of time before somebody combines this with super-intelligent AI into our future robot overlords.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snipzor
@Video_Game_King said:
" It's only a matter of time before somebody combines this with super-intelligent AI into our future robot overlords. "
I for one welcome our super-intelligent robot overlords.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By vidiot

Anyone? ANYONE?!

Listen to Charlton Heston!!!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Snipzor said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" It's only a matter of time before somebody combines this with super-intelligent AI into our future robot overlords. "
I for one welcome our super-intelligent robot overlords.
"
Well, I don't. Then again, I live on the moon, and we have super-death rays capable of killing these necro-eating robots. And if that doesn't work, I have an anti-death ray, so I can do this.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Meowayne

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Xeiphyer

Realistically this isn't as far fetched as it seems. Its just using various sources of bio energy. Its scary as shit, but its basically just doing a shittier version of what humans and animals do.

Of course the obvious fear here is if the robot is hungry and theres no dead corpses around, will it fucking murder people? Lets not give this any AI shall we?

Also I was assuming this was a pretty small thing, but it sounds like it was fairly big? As long as it has to be manually fueled by humans thats fine with me I suppose.

Hmm actually, theres probably no way this thing will ever exist outside of the United States secret military army. Can you imagine if your son goes off to some war somewhere, dies. But instead of getting to have a funeral for him when they bring his body back, they fed him to a robot instead. Id be pretty fucking pissed off.

In a small number, these would make a lot of sense in the PMC's.

Also how did this information get out? =P Military weapons are developed in super secret, theres no way this could be real?

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ManlyBeast
@Meowayne said:
" I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords. "
Hail
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

and monkeys can fly out of my ass

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By angelkanarias

DARPA is freaking crazy. they are also making robots that can detect heartbeats, imagine one of those freaking robots following you to have dinner.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By angelkanarias
@Meowayne said:
" "
rofl. yeah, making robots feed from organic components isn't very intelligent
TheSovereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheSovereign
I think we should focus on the dragon tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJLUZWPEb8
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By jakob187
@Meowayne said:
" "
About the only thing Miller is good for:  being the waste that fuels something.
Redriderxxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Redriderxxl

First i would like to see this thing work tehn i will belive it.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Red12b
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
"and monkeys can fly out of my ass "

They must be small monkey's or your arsehole must be huge.
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By Gunner

Fuck! i have an urge to watch back to the future part 2 now.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By JJWeatherman
@Keyser_Soze said:
Wait, what?! I'm the only one wearing computer clothing?