US Open, holy shit Rory McIlroy is a stud

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Commando

Anyone else been following the US Open? This guy's been tearing it up! It'll take a miracle for someone to catch up to this 22 year old kid from Northern Ireland. The second place guy is 6 points behind him.

Unless he completely sucks it up in day 3 or day 4, this will be the second year in a row that someone from Northern Ireland wins the US Open.

I don't care if you like golf or not, look at the first shot in this highlight video from yesterday. That was incredible!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By FrankCanada97

I'm calling it, he will pull a Jean Van de Velde.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

Just wait until Tiger has record days today and tomor--oh, wait. That hasn't been a relevant argument for at least two years now. Sorry.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Commando

@Hailinel said:

Just wait until Tiger has record days today and tomor--oh, wait. That hasn't been a relevant argument for at least two years now. Sorry.

Tiger's sitting out the US Open this year because of a leg injury anyways.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@Commando said:

@Hailinel said:

I know. I'd wager his career is about done, which is really fine with me because I am eager for golf to be more than just The Tiger Woods Show again.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ChickenPants

Yep, he's been tipped for great things since he was a youngster by the media here(Ireland). Nice to see him living-up to his huge potential. Hope he doesn't mess this up like the Masters :l

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Dagbiker

the U.S. Open is on River road, and thats like 5 blocks from my house, which sucks because i cant get anywhere.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emergency

He makes me proud to be Northern Irish, until he crumbles.. I reckon he'll hold it together this time.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Beaudacious

That looked as boring as every other golf video. I don't understand how people can play golf, one of the most boring sports I've ever had a chance to play.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Snipzor

A stud? You make it sound as though you're complimenting him on something other than his golfing. Am I projecting? Yes, yes I am.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By VicRattlehead

He'll fuck up he had a lead like that like at the masters and he completely crumbled.. Good luck to him though always nice seeing a fellow northern irish man tearing it up

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By emem

Rory had some great rounds in the last years already, but never managed to stay strong for a longer period of time. I would really love to see him play as good as he can more often.

Well, no one has been playing really consistent lately except Luke Donald, who's struggling this weekend. It almost looks like being number one makes people nervous (who would have thought), at first Lee Westwood, then Martin Kaymer.. All of them can play at a level of Tiger Woods for maybe one tournament, but Tiger managed to stay at one level most of the time and I'm hoping we will see a few more who come close to his continuity in the near future. Maybe it's time for Rory soon, who knows.. I would welcome it. :)

LouChou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By LouChou

Dude looks like he went to the barber and asked for the pube cut. I certainly approve of the fact he's from the UK and actually good at something, though.

Choffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Choffy

I was just watching the Day 2 highlights on NBC, and thinking to myself "I can't even imagine being that good at golf." I think it'd get to be kind of boring being so good.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Commando

8 point lead after today!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss

I still say he'll fall under the pressure on sunday....he's had big leads like this before and he is good at losing his composure after having a few bad holes.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Claude

@Commando said:

It's stroke not point. He has an 8 stroke lead. The only time you see points in golf is when they play with the Stableford scoring system.

Other than that, yeah, I love golf. I played 3 hours of Tiger Woods 12 today and watched 6 hours of the U.S. Open. And Rory will take it this time unlike his meltdown at Augusta.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hailinel

@Beaudacious said:

That looked as boring as every other golf video. I don't understand how people can play golf, one of the most boring sports I've ever had a chance to play.

It's a relaxing, yet difficult game of skill.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By ajamafalous

@Claude said:

@Commando said:

It's stroke not point. He has an 8 stroke lead. The only time you see points in golf is when they play with the Stableford scoring system.

Other than that, yeah, I love golf. I played 3 hours of Tiger Woods 12 today and watched 6 hours of the U.S. Open. And Rory will take it this time unlike his meltdown at Augusta.

Claude kickin' facts.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By carlthenimrod

@Hailinel said:

@Commando said:

@Hailinel said:

I know. I'd wager his career is about done, which is really fine with me because I am eager for golf to be more than just The Tiger Woods Show again.

Says the person who proceeded to immediately bring him up in an unrelated golf thread. Well played sir.

Anyways, this kid is something special. He choked badly at the Masters but has bounced back tremendously. That speaks volumes about his character.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hailinel

@carlthenimrod said:

@Hailinel said:

@Commando said:

@Hailinel said:

Says the person who proceeded to immediately bring him up in an unrelated golf thread. Well played sir.

Anyways, this kid is something special. He choked badly at the Masters but has bounced back tremendously. That speaks volumes about his character.

I did so in an ironic fashion. I honestly don't think that Tiger Woods will ever be a major factor in professional golf again, yet sports journalists still hope and pray that he returns to form and won't stop writing articles about him even when he hasn't been anything more than an also ran for close to two years.

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Commando

@Claude said:

@Commando said:

We always used to call it points when I played.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Brendan

I'm rooting for him.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SpartyOn

@Hailinel said:

@Commando said:

@Hailinel said:

Tiger is WAY too young for his career to be done. He's had some health issues and has always come back because he's in ridiculous shape. Ignoring his personal life, Tiger is one of the most disciplined golfers out there, he demands so much from himself, and since his goal is to catch nicklaus' 18 major wins you would lose that wager sir. He won't retire until he wins 5 more majors to get the record he based his career on.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Th3_James

Rory Mcilroy's PGA Tour 2012???

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Claude
Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Th3_James

@Claude said:

@Th3_James said:

That would be 2013. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters is already out. I'm playing it.

Naw, I knew what I meant. They will just change the box art and a couple of strings of font. 2012 will be out by July.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Claude

@Th3_James said:

@Claude said:

@Th3_James said:

That would be 2013. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters is already out. I'm playing it.

Naw, I knew what I meant. They will just change the box art and a couple of strings of font. 2012 will be out by July.

Actually, the Tiger Woods PGA Tour series has changed a lot in gameplay and in presentation over the last 4 years. I'm sure you know what you meant. You just happened to catch a fan of the series awake and on Giant Bomb.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Th3_James

@Claude said:

@Th3_James said:

@Claude said:

@Th3_James said:

Actually, the Tiger Woods PGA Tour series has changed a lot in gameplay and in presentation over the last 4 years. I'm sure you know what you meant. You just happened to catch a fan of the series awake and on Giant Bomb.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I was merely joking, I love the changes they have made over the years and I really enjoy Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters. I will get random urges to play 18 holes, than once i've had my fill I will not play the game until I get that urge again.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@davissc9 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Commando said:

@Hailinel said:

Tiger is WAY too young for his career to be done. He's had some health issues and has always come back because he's in ridiculous shape. Ignoring his personal life, Tiger is one of the most disciplined golfers out there, he demands so much from himself, and since his goal is to catch nicklaus' 18 major wins you would lose that wager sir. He won't retire until he wins 5 more majors to get the record he based his career on.

Tiger isn't as young as he used to be. And even when he was healthy in this past year, he's hardly been a factor at all and hasn't won a major since 2008, if memory serves correctly. There are golfers a generation younger that are showing incredible talent, like McIlroy, and the aura of invincibility that he had depended on so much to intimidate the field is completely gone. At the rate his career is going, he will not equal nor exceed Nicklaus's record.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Claude

@Hailinel said:

@davissc9 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Commando said:

@Hailinel said:

Tiger isn't as young as he used to be. And even when he was healthy in this past year, he's hardly been a factor at all and hasn't won a major since 2008, if memory serves correctly. There are golfers a generation younger that are showing incredible talent, like McIlroy, and the aura of invincibility that he had depended on so much to intimidate the field is completely gone. At the rate his career is going, he will not equal nor exceed Nicklaus's record.

The Masters 6th

U.S. Open 6th

The Open (British) missed cut

PGA Championship 2nd

The Masters 4th

U.S. Open 4th

The Open 23rd

PGA 28th

The Masters 4th

Do not doubt Tiger Woods and golf. He's in it to win it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel

@davissc9: Last I saw, fourth place wasn't a win.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Claude

@Hailinel: @Claude said:

@Hailinel said:

he's hardly been a factor at all

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpartyOn

@Hailinel: Keep in mind this guy won...and i mean WON, the U.S. Open in 2008 with a broken leg and a busted knee. His actions in his personal life were inexcusable the last few years, but without a doubt it affected his golf game. Consider the huge amount of time he took off to recover physically, then mentally/emotionally, now physically again. He's good but do you really expect him to beat the other best players in the world with all of that stacked against him? Come on, expecting that is ridiculous. I mean seriously you don't have to like the guy to admit he's one of the best in the game. He single-handedly changed how pros approach their golf game by making fitness a huge aspect instead of an irrelevant one. Tiger has won and won and won continuously since he first stepped foot on the course. Over the last few years he's been unable to practice as much as he's used to and play as much as he wants to. There are guys in every game that are ALWAYS a factor. Jordan, Gretzky, Ali. Tiger has ALWAYS been a factor in golf, an will until he decides to stop.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@davissc9: I don't expect him to win with all of that stacked against him. But even so, his health has gotten to the point where he can't golf on his bad leg at the moment. (This, despite having won a tournament on a broken leg back in 2008.) It's also worth noting that in 2008, people were still afraid of him. There was that aura about him that he could command the golf course. But he can't intimidate like he used to. He has been rendered mortal.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By grilledcheez

Yeah Rory's an awesome player...this is the first time I've seen him string together rounds like this on this kind of stage. But also, I cannot wait for Tiger to return to form...if he takes his time and stops putting so much damn torque on his left leg he'll be fine.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpartyOn

@Hailinel: I agree he has, for now. But you have to agree that Tiger in his day was something to watch. He was a special player, and I personally hope he comes back to his potential. There's something great about watching an athlete dominate his sport, I think it pushes the game forward.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel

@davissc9 said:

@Hailinel: I agree he has, for now. But you have to agree that Tiger in his day was something to watch. He was a special player, and I personally hope he comes back to his potential. There's something great about watching an athlete dominate his sport, I think it pushes the game forward.

I agree and disagree. I agree that his dominance helped push the game forward, but too much dominance is a bad thing. Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player of all time, but I personally got sick of the Bulls constantly winning the championship. It became boring because he was too good.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The difference between McIlroy and Tiger is that other pros say Rory is a good kid and want him to win, no one ever said that about Tiger because he's an asshole and always was

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Claude

@TheVeteran13 said:

The difference between McIlroy and Tiger is that other pros say Rory is a good kid and want him to win, no one ever said that about Tiger because he's an asshole and always was

Rory did it. It was fun to watch. Tiger is an old dog now, but old dogs can still bite. It wouldn't surprise me to see Rory win at least one more major this year.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By SirPsychoSexy
@Hailinel said:

Yea it isn't like Tiger finished 4th at the masters 2 months ago on a bad knee... Oh wait.