• 62 results
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I was actually quite surprised they did away with the high school thing. Wasn't that the exact reason for the reboot in the first place? Didn't the producers want Peter in High School and that's why everyone from the first trilogy were booted out cause they were too old to play the part? I think keeping Peter in high school or in a college atmosphere would of been great. Unfortunately the new film simply implied alot of that while running around with its head chopped off.

What made Peter Parker great was that he was the broke guy who had the worst luck in life cause he had to choose between his responsibilities as Peter and as Spiderman. Andrew Garfield while a fit stylistic wise with the crack joking Spiderman is by no means a good Peter Parker. Peter Parker should be a loser.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

@ssully: I don't want it to seem like I absolutely hated the movies, there were stuff I really enjoyed and I did have fun with Iron man 3, but I can't really classify them as good by any means( again, this is just me). Also,yes , you were correct, I meant that for marvel movies, the quality of the film should have been higher, I wasn't referring to the financial success.

Again this is purely subjective I guess but as a comic book fan, i was really disappointed because Iron man 3 and thor 2, at least in my opinion, really went overboard with the humor. Let me elaborate. Remember the scene where iron man saves a bunch of people from falling? Isn't it such a heartwarming moment? and at the end of it Tony crashes into a bus for cheap laughs, and the movie does stuff like this over and over and over again. Same problem with Thor 2,After a stunning fight scene with Kurse, Loki dies, and I can safely say that Marvel executed this scene in the worst way possible. simple put, the death is cheap, and doesn't hold any significant meaning, and I actually adored Lokis movie character. When a characters dies, it's supposed to make you care, but here, I don't even think Thor cared, so why should I? Sure at the MOMENT I was upset, but five minutes later,right after Loki dies the movie resorts to cheap humor again with Fosters stupid phone ringtone and some other bullshit. If they had made the scene more meaningful or at least kept the sadness for at least 15 minutes, than maybe the final twist could have been much cooler.

To me, stuff like this compromises the movies tone, and at a certain point you actually feel that none of the fights nor events hold any significance anymore. Remember in Iron man 1 where tony is left without his Arc Reactor, wasn't that scene suspenseful? Or In captain america 2, weren't you upset when Fury "Died" , I mean, i actually thought they went through with it! Maybe part of the problem was the advertising? Considering that both movies showed themselves as serious films? I mean, I probably won't be mad at Guardians of the Galaxy for comedy since in the trailer they made it clear that humor is going to be a big part of the movie( still I'm hoping it'll be more serious than funny like the phase one movies).

See the point I'm getting at? But yet again, it's all subjective and honestly, thank for at understanding my point of view, and I'm glad you enjoyed these movies more then I did. Also you're absolutely right, most blockbuster movies can't seem to fail( at all) these days. Good talk! :)

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@xalienxgreyx said:

The movie or game?

The movie

Huge disappointment.

Decent enough movie with some great emotional scenes.

decko5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many corny scenes even for the type of movie that it is. Other than that. It was a fun movie and I, as a Spider-Man fan, enjoyed it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's like they remade Batman Forever with Spider-Man.

Some things in the movie work really well, a lot of things don't. The real problem is that it can't find a tonal pitch to stick with throughout the entire film. It goes from wanting to be a poor-man's Dark Knight to a silly sideshow of exaggerations. If they could figure out that balance, they'd be on the right track.

Also, it didn't have a focused plot for, like, two of its two and a half hours.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Just saw it myself and I would say this review is very solid. I liked 2 more than ASM 1 and I think this leaves the series at a place where it can take a stronger direction than part 3 especially considering that ending reveal.

I also really like the suggestion that Aunt May already knows Peter is Spider Man, it was subtle but clear.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By Zevvion

Wow, I'm apparently part of the minority that liked this movie. I much prefer Garfield over Maguire, and I liked the chemistry between him and Stone. The action bits with electro were solid, too. Foxx did a good job of selling that he was a bit socially awkward, and his transition to being evil was believable.

My only issues came with how Harry was portrayed. His friendship with Peter almost felt forced, and lacked any real context. (without knowledge of the story, anyway.) his transition into becoming the Goblin didn't get enough time, either, although I don't think we've seen the last of him.

Also, whoever cast this version of Aunt May did a really terrible job, I find her annoying at best.

Agree 99%. I did think the relationship between Peter and Harry wasn't bad, it just wasn't nearly enough. Otherwise, completely agree. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Garfield is only a slight one billion times better at being Peter Parker than Tobey was. Also, the Spider-Man bits are much more on point with the comics with his wise-cracks and whatnot. And yeah, the chemistry between him and Emma was dripping off the damn screen. They are really, really good together.

I also agree that the action bits with Electro were awesome. Not only that, I thought the sound design was so great for those parts. Really good use of dupstep-ish stuff.

These films aren't perfect, but I like both of them a lot better than any of the previous trilogy.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By theacidskull

@karkarov said:

@theacidskull: Just saw it myself and I would say this review is very solid. I liked 2 more than ASM 1 and I think this leaves the series at a place where it can take a stronger direction than part 3 especially considering that ending reveal.

I also really like the suggestion that Aunt May already knows Peter is Spider Man, it was subtle but clear.

Thanks man! and I completely agree! I enjoyed the movie a lot! :)

and Yeah, it did seem that may knew it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think it was a heavily flawed movie that was super enjoyable to watch. I really dug Electro, particularly in the fight scenes where they used music to great effect, and for the most part all of the stuff with Gwen was pretty enjoyable. Overall the movie was just a lot more fun than the last one, with slightly less familiar story beats, an increase in the amount of humor, and more interesting implications for the future of the series. I think my major criticism is that it tries to burn through too much plot in its two hours, and while it does this about as effectively as it could have, it still suffers for it. I think Electro's switch from "I'm your biggest fan!" to "You're selfish!" happened far too quickly, I would have preferred if they'd given this arc a little bit more time to breathe so it felt more organic. I didn't really care for the Harry Osborn parts at all, I don't feel like there was enough set up for me to buy that they were supposed to be great friends, which made Peter's dilemma, Harry's perceived betrayal, and his eventual rise as a villain all seem far less effective than they should have been. I also don't particularly care for Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, I think he's a great Spiderman, but he's always been too cool to be Peter, and in this movie he's even cooler than creepy Harry which is totally the opposite of how it's supposed to go. Also the Goblin design looked hella dumb. This last problem is really more a matter of personal taste but I can't stand when people try to focus on his parents, the whole point of his character is that he's not special at all, and making his parents badass researchers who died in a plane crash ruins that, and I feel directly tying them into his superhero origin is the lamest.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By intro

I think it's probably the best superhero movie recently, up there with Avengers for me. Everyone likes things differently. I would definitely recommend it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@historyinrust: The ending did remind me of Batman Forever amusingly enough; that movie's not all that bad. Obviously doesn't have the higher standard of production values to disguise the ridiculousness of the action and so suffers; but in general it's still reasonably enjoyable.

Ark4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#63  Edited By Ark4

I have mixed feelings about the movie. There's parts that I liked. Like the fight sequences with Electro and Harry. Then there's the parts that I disliked greatly. Like Electro's background and motivation. The villains bordered almost into Schumacher territory when it came to most of the dialog they had to work with. Garfield is a bit to hip for my vision of Parker. Still miles ahead of Toby Maguire. I grew up with the late 70's to mid 90's Parker and was constantly annoyed with how Raimi and Maguire decided to portray Parker. He is a lovable loser not a cast member of the big bang theory. The sugary teen soap opera portrayal of Parker and Stacy was almost to much and was saved due to the chemistry between actors. Also love movie Gwen over previous movie trilogy MJ. This movie has me really conflicted. I loved parts of it because I love Spidey. I hated parts of the movie because I expect much more out movies this days.