What is the most interesting historical event in your country?

• 151 results
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Deusx

Guatemalan Civil War that lasted 36 years. It was a horrible time for my country and the cause of all the problems we have today. I wish those days could be erased because even if I didn´t live through those times, I am the one that has to deal with the consecuences of someone elses killing.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By tmthomsen

In recent times, I'd say the Danish Muhammed drawings/cartoons sparked a fairly interesting event.

Also, vikings.

Owlright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Owlright

One of the most interesting things to me is the whole Space Race and landing man on the moon. It's pretty nuts to live in a country/state that made happen what man had dreamt about for hundreds of years, and the whole political and social climate at the time makes it all the more fascinating and impressive.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#54  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Owlright said:

One of the most interesting things to me is the whole Space Race and landing man on the moon. It's pretty nuts to live in a country/state that made happen what man had dreamt about for hundreds of years, and the whole political and social climate at the time makes it all the more fascinating and impressive.

@NTM said:

Apollo 11.

@BaneFireLord said:

Landing on the moon was pretty cool.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#55  Edited By musubi

The time Jesus rode a T-Rex into Germany and killed hitler.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Demoskinos said:

Stop being ignorant, it was a velociraptor.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By MikeGosot
Getúlio Vargas, by far. For those who don't know who he is, he was a Brazilian dictator that changed most of the politics at the time. If i'm not mistaken, he was the one that legalized women's vote in elections. People loved him to the point that, after he lost power, he was elected President, and then he killed himself.
FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By FengShuiGod

@IroN1c said:

I'm from Germany, so....

so HEGEL

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By mandude

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Demoskinos said:

Look who's talking about ignorance. Velociraptors are far too small. The idea of Jesus mounting one is silly, to say the least. He rode a utahraptor.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@mandude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Demoskinos said:

Look who's talking about ignorance. Velociraptors are far too small. The idea of Jesus mounting one is silly, to say the least. He rode a utahraptor.

Et tut brute?

You have to remember that Hitler's downfall was in the mid 40's. This obviously isn't flesh and bone Jesus from the New Testament seeing as it's been 1,945 years since his death. This is zombie Jesus, friend. That means that his weight and density is far lower than that of his original form when taking decomposition into account, making it highly likely that he rode a velociraptor. Utahraptors are not only incapable of performing the slightest of tasks, they also take frequent breaks and die fairly easy in mid to hot weather.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#61  Edited By Phatmac

I'd say landing on the moon is pretty cool.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62  Edited By jonnyboy

That time when someone from the UK actually made it into the final of Wimbledon, aaaaaaah good times, seems just like yesterday.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#63  Edited By elyk247

The launch of the Super Nintendo in 1991.

Naw........, but for reals probably the Industrial Revolution.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Hmmm, lets see... <insert name of war here>. They all went badly for us, except that one time we lost our entire army...but then again, so did the enemy. Uhhh, imma go now.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Sanity

American Revolution for me hands down, oh how different the world would be today if England had won the war.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

@PeasantAbuse said:

Brad leaving Jennifer for Angelina.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MikkaQ

Canada? Uh probably one of the world wars, about the only time we've done something interesting on the world stage.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#68  Edited By Dookysharpgun

Well I gotta say the Irish Civil War...I mean, what's more interesting than a war-torn country, pretty much on its last legs, signing a treaty, then some little bollox deciding that he'll go start a war because he wanted us all to die fighting, not taking into account the already massive bloodshed and civilian terror that had already been caused prior to this event, leading to the collective deaths of all the heroes of the war, and then that same man being elected as president, keeping us neutral during WWII, and making sure our international relations were all but crippled for years to come...

Oh and then in under a hundred year, we've run ourselves into the ground financially because we just adopted the British form of government, but never made the necessary changes to accomodate for them...you know...not being here, and then having a false economy, leading to our collapse as a nation that can give anything viable to the world.

And now we're Germany's bitch, so you know...totally worth it in the end, right? It's all very interesting, and amazingly connected!

...I don't think I'm patriotic to be honest...

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@mandude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Demoskinos said:

Et tut brute?

You have to remember that Hitler's downfall was in the mid 40's. This obviously isn't flesh and bone Jesus from the New Testament seeing as it's been 1,945 years since his death. This is zombie Jesus, friend. That means that his weight and density is far lower than that of his original form when taking decomposition into account, making it highly likely that he rode a velociraptor. Utahraptors are not only incapable of performing the slightest of tasks, they also take frequent breaks and die fairly easy in mid to hot weather.

Actually, it was 1,945 years after his birth. A.D. doesn't mean After Death, it means Anno Domini or "In The Year of Our Lord". Jesus died when he was 33 so it would have been 1,912 years, roughly, after his death. Don't make him feel like an old fart. He's very sensitive about his old age.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@MariachiMacabre said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@mandude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Demoskinos said:

Et tut brute?

Actually, it was 1,945 years after his birth. A.D. doesn't mean After Death, it means Anno Domini or "In The Year of Our Lord". Jesus died when he was 33 so it would have been 1,912 years, roughly, after his death. Don't make him feel like an old fart. He's very sensitive about his old age.

Oh great, now I feel like a dick.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#71  Edited By Hailinel

Well, there's a lot of things I could think of in regards to the U.S., but since I grew up in Wyoming, I'll say that introducing women's suffrage was pretty cool.

Equality State, motherfuckers!

*Raises the roof.*

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#72  Edited By Liquidus

Being Canadian, I'd saying World War I as we were the ultimate badasses in that war and proved that we can kick some ass.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Australia's defence against the Japanese during WW2 is, in my mind, the most interesting.

Volunteers made up of the very young and the far too old (while the proper soldiers were off in Europe and Africa) fighting in hand to hand combat against a far, FAR superior military force in the jungles of Papua New Guinea, right on our doorstep, and keeping them out until the inevitable counterattack through the intervention of America.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By dillonwerner

Probably the American Revolution, or Apollo 11. That shit was cray cray

HisDudeness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By HisDudeness

That awkward moment when a fascist general who sympathized with Hitler and Mussolini got elected President of the nation and ended up changing the entire course of political history in Argentina and founding the most popular party in the country. (Juan Domingo Peron).

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mandude

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@mandude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Demoskinos said:

Et tut brute?

Don't worry. It happens to the best of us. That's why he gave us alcohol, that we may use it to forget our sorrows and wash away our sins.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@Animasta said:

that time when americans killed a whole shitload of native americans for land

interesting is similar to disgusting and disturbing right?

Nice and subtle, I like that. I'm not saying that didn't happen, but I'm almost positive that most of the native population died due to plague, not genocide.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

Since others have referenced historical events from these United States, I will used my home state of North Carolina. North Carolina was the site of two famous Revolutionary battles, the Battle of Cowpens, and the Battle of Cowan's Ford. Another interesting piece of history is the famous lost colony of Roanoke Island.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Kind of spoilt for choice in the UK.

lxXShiroXxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By lxXShiroXxl

I live in America.

That's all, were just so great.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Icemo

I would say Winter War. Just looking at the facts tells you why it is interesting.

Finnish forces: 337,000–346,500 men, 32 tanks, 114 aircraft

Soviet forces: 998,100 men (overall), 2,514–6,541 tanks, 3,880 aircraft

And Finland still managed to hold U.S.S.R from invading our country. That's quite unbelievable actually.

Wikipedia: Winter War

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By intro

Putting people on the GOD DAMN MOON.

But really, not much, if anything at all beats that.

InternetCrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By InternetCrab

As an American:

• Armstrong walks on the moon
  • American Civil War
  • Declaration of Independence
  • Manhattan Project
  • The Stock Market Crash (even though it wasn't that nice)

AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By McBEEF

As a Scot, probably the whole 'Braveheart' or william wallace fight for independance from the english, or the picts (early scots) resisting the romans so bad they had to build hadrians wall to keep us in

As a Brit, probably the wars with france, viking invasions, world war 1/2

So much military history to choose from......I really want to play CoH or Total War now

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#85  Edited By TobbRobb

@SathingtonWaltz said:

@Animasta said:

that time when americans killed a whole shitload of native americans for land

interesting is similar to disgusting and disturbing right?

Nice and subtle, I like that. I'm not saying that didn't happen, but I'm almost positive that most of the native population died due to plague, not genocide.

And who brought the illness to them? :D

I'm only half joking.

Oh and for interesting historical events in Sweden, ehrm. We had a lot of feudal intrigue and constant kingmurdering. Also we were at war with pretty much every neighbour at some point. "I blame Denmark". And then at some point we said fuck it, gave everything we stole back and became a little pussy country who refuses to do anything remotely dangerous ever. That was kind of cool I guess. Living in a country who did stuff sometimes would be too much for my weak, weak will.

GoonerGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By GoonerGod

I was born

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Gravier251

Rather a lot to pick from in England. One thing I find kind of interesting is the whole womens suffrage movement (Suffragists and Suffragettes to generalise them). I find it interesting and kind of odd that so much credit is always given to the suffragettes as an organisation. People tend to look to the extremists with the vandalism, chaining themselves to things, hunger strikes and the rather insane Emily Davison getting her head staved in by the King's horse as the reason women got the vote.

They in fact largely harmed the cause, rather than doing anything positive. Most of the actual work was done by the more conservative/sensible suffragist movement that the suffragettes had splintered from. And all their work and the men they had on their cause began to fall apart or distance themselves due to those criminal antics. The men did so because of the attitude of the suffragettes, insulting those who actually support them purely due to gender and in a political sense the cause fell through because their acts were acts of terrorism and so the government could not be seen to cave in, even if popular opinion had been beginning to move in favour of womens suffrage.

Fortunately in World War I the suffragettes stopped campaigning and just went around chiding men for having the gall to not be at war, giving them flowers for their cowardice, regardless of their reason for being there/back. While the suffragists continued to campaign, through reasonable means and accepted limited suffrage knowing that the foot in the door with that would lead to eventual change.

Suffragettes largely just gave opposition to womens suffrage evidence to support their point as they could just point at their criminal acts and say "look how irrational and crazy all those women are, why would we ever want to let such people vote?". Suffragettes probably held up women getting the vote for a good 10-15 years, yet people always give *them* the credit for women having the vote, while the quieter ones who did all the work are forgotten. Real shame really.

A Picture from the time by Bernard Partridge that sums it up well would be the "Shrieking Sister" (below) in which a sensible suffragist mocks a suffragette with "You help our cause? Why, you are it's worst enemy". Real shame that as far as popular opinion goes in the modern day the credit is given to entirely the wrong people. I find that both rather interesting, and also rather frustrating too.

No Caption Provided
Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#88  Edited By Svenzon

A whole lot of them. Most of them involve warfare and drama between people trying to claim the throne. I always liked reading about the guerilla warfare against the Swedes during the Scanian Wars. It's hard to imagine that this country used to control a pretty damn substantial part of Europe back in the day.

Jwkokosmakroon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Jwkokosmakroon

The short unification of the southern and northern Netherlands in the United Kingdom of the Netherlands and its subsequent dissolution.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#90  Edited By Draugen

Would have to be the time of the viking raids on the british isles. Pretty much the only time in our history where we've gotten to be big and bad and push people around.

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Hameyadea

Pretty ancient history now, but having won a war in 3 months against a larger foe, I guess

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#92  Edited By ThePickle

Revolutionary War. Washington's attack on the Hessians after crossing the Delaware happened in my state's capital!

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By cloudnineboya

molly the sheep.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By WickedFather
@mandude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@mandude said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Demoskinos said:

Et tut brute?

Don't worry. It happens to the best of us. That's why he gave us alcohol, that we may use it to forget our sorrows and wash away our sins.

This is what I hate about modern education - it's just parrot fashion regurgitating of facts without any research.  Jesus was living on Mars during that period (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_on_Mars) and it was Mumm Ra riding Godzilla that fought Hitler after being thrown sideways in time by an atomic bomb.

Ffffkin amateur historian filth peddlers.
L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#95  Edited By L44

When David Boon drank 52 cans of beer on a plane from London to Sydney.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Village_Guy said:

I'm from Denmark, so the Vikings go in as a clear winner - nothing else of particular interest happened here - at one point we ruled over all of Denmark, Sweden, Norway, northern Germany, England and Faeroe at the same time.

Since then it went all downhill, and these days even some of the most southern parts of Denmark, actually belong to Germany, all though a majority of the population there consider themselves Danes and speak Danish in everyday life and not German...

At least we still (kinda) got Greenland and the Faeroe Islands...

EDIT: Oh and I guess you can thank us for both Bacon and LEGO, so that ain't too shabby.

THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@cloudnineboya said:

molly the sheep.

Do you mean Dolly?
Darklaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Darklaw

Plenty of interesting things have happened in Denmark, over the years - Too many to really single one out, anyway.

Harald Bluetooth converting us to christianity, has certainly had a huge impact on us.

The bombing of Copenhagen by the British, during the napoleon-wars. I've always been fascinated by that one, since it is considered the first "terrorist" attack ever. It's also the event that made Denmark no longer be a super-power.

JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By JerichoBlyth

@Akyho said:

@JerichoBlyth said:

Personally for me...

The ongoing saga of Scottish Devolution...yes, it's a bit modern to be considered historical (especially in the context of those talking about the War of 1812 and such in here) but I take great interest in its evolution into an inevitable form of full Independence for our country.

Its a good idea and I like it to a point. However full independence is not possible. We will have to go to war if we did separate. Since the main resource Scotland has is the North Sea oil fields and the only thing that could sustain us economically (which isn't reliable) . Do you think England would just let us claim it. England as Britain has it. If we separate we would have to start from scratch on EVERYTHING. Diplomacy is started scratch, trade is started from scratch. Then England wants what we have so they fight us and yeah.....not fun.

Given enough time this all has a high chance of happening. And thusly...we would be back under English rule and not as free as before.

Still fascinating none the less.

We'd still share the same British Army and trade with England according to the scarce reports, which Mr Salmond has allowed to filter through the great vine...but I'd say we'll have a far clearer idea of what will happen exactly come 2013, leading into the year of the vote.

We would own the oil and trade it with England...it would be in our country afterall...and they would never go to war with us again.

As a nation AND a generation, we need to stop being so selfish and give future generations a chance of change. There will be very hard times ahead if we choose to be independent, this much is obvious but I feel it'll be worth it in the long run...even if it is indeed, a very long run.

A majority of Scottish people voted IN the SNP, not just for a change away from Labour but the referendum was a huge selling point - we have given them the go ahead to try to convince us all and that is progress as it is. It is up to them to win the big vote over now and I think people are jumping the gun on saying it will not work out. Give it until mid-2013 and then I promise I will launch a thread on the whole matter lol

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@JerichoBlyth: We wouldn't be sharing the same army