Avatar image for the_philosopher
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By The_Philosopher

Hey, I'm going on a school trip to England & Ireland this month. I'm pretty excited since I've only left Canada once and that was only for an hour just to do some shopping in Maine. I'm looking for some recommendations, like good dishes/beverages to try, sights to look out for, etc. Here is a map of where I will be visiting: 

No Caption Provided
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Go to the Guiness factory in Dublin if you can. That's all I can recommend. Take pictures too!

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By PerryVandell

There were a lot of things I could've mentioned if you hadn't said "school trip".

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake

I hate to disappoint you but there isn't much in Ireland...'cept the Guiness Factory. We don't have much in history in comparison to Britian but we've got nice people. Sort of.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By dbz1995

Come visit! HEE HEE HEE

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Pick up a catchy accent
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Philosopher
@Fullmetal216: 
Feel free to mention them anyway, I won't be going to any pubs or anything but I really hope I get to have a pint of Guiness while I'm there. I hear that you haven't even had Guiness until you've had one in Ireland fresh from the tap.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By evanbrau

You're going to the most tourist trappy areas of Ireland. If you do one thing its this please don't think what you see in the ring of Kerry is anything like how real Ireland works or exists.

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ryoma122
@The_Philosopher: 
the best thing to do when you get to england is find the exit just make a by pass and move on to irland 
 nothin much there either but the people are nicer 

stripclubdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By stripclubdj

Muskerry arms pub in Blarney across the street from the blarney castle......my family own it :)

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cap123

well just wandering around the famous landmarks of london is nice, keep it leisurely. 

also no there isn't too much in ireland, but from my experience they're far more welcoming than us gloomy brits.

PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By PerryVandell
@The_Philosopher said:
" @Fullmetal216:  Feel free to mention them anyway, I won't be going to any pubs or anything but I really hope I get to have a pint of Guiness while I'm there. I hear that you haven't even had Guiness until you've had one in Ireland fresh from the tap. "
Well, you said school trip so I would've recommended finding different points of interest, go to a couple pubs, etc. but I doubt that you can any of those on a school trip. I remember high school field trips requiring strict contracts whenever going on a field trip.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Abyssfull said:
" Pick up a catchy accent "
Just...not Welsh.

Please.

Actually when you drop down to Galway you can always say hi to my friend, Aoife. She has great tits...

Oh yeah, see the Guiness Factory and Giant Prick (you'll know what I mean) in Dublin and kiss the Blarney Stone for luck. Eat a Breakfast Roll and have a drink of Guiness and Bulmers cider (aka Magners in Britain). I'll think of more if I can.
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Philosopher
@eroticfishcake: 
I mainly wanted to know if there's any dishes I should try, most of the school trip will be educational tours and stuff. But I will get to explore a little and eat plenty of food.
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dylabaloo
@eroticfishcake said:
" I hate to disappoint you but there isn't much in Ireland...'cept the Guiness Factory. We don't have much in history in comparison to Britian but we've got nice people. Sort of. "
+1 not so sure about the nice people part depends what part I guess (Stay away from Ballymun)

Yeah glad to see your going to Ireland but its kinda bad come to think of it they'll prolly bring you to some boring ass Irish museums and seeing as its a school trip you won't be able to try our fine beverages unless your 18+ the drinking age isn't 21 over here :) Maybe you should go to Wicklow mountain :S not sure bro but have a good time!
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee
@eroticfishcake said:
" @Abyssfull said:
Just...not Welsh.  Please.   "

Or Scouze...or Cockney...infact, just plug yah ears for your entire trip, probably for the best.
stripclubdj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stripclubdj
sorry its the muskerry arms pub
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cap123

have at least one full english and full irish breakfast. also pub food will meet all your 'traditional' food needs

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I'm living here in Dublin and I'll give you a quick low down. Kerry is full of boggers. Farmers, sheep shaggers, the likes. Don't go to Limerick, you'll probably get stabbed. Galway is very nice, but it's quite cold as it's by the sea. The rest of Ireland is full of cows, sheep, and boggers that will probably stab you. And leprechauns. Tallaght is a no-no also. DON'T EVER GO TO TALLAGHT!!! :S Don't wear the legendary Canadian Gold medal that Crosby the almighty won also, you might get stabbed for it.

Jokes aside, you should definitely visit Glendalough. It's absolutely beautiful there, and there is an amazing waterfall. Dublin has some great shopping districts and a HELL OF A LOT OF PUBS!! Not pubes, pubs. So get ready for alcohol and loose women. Galway's beautiful, you should take down to Cork in the South maybe if you're in the Kerry region, it has some AMAZING landscapes, and cliffs. Go to Blarney and kiss that damn stone. Don't know too much about County Clare myself. 

Bring an Umbrella. You will get wet :/  

As for England, that place pretty much rocks whatever you do, it's full of everything you could want. Went to London in the summer, and met the nicest people in the world. They have awesome phone boxes too.

- Dave, a fellow Canadian living in Ireland.

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CptChiken
@The_Philosopher: eat a deep fried mars bar... if you can find one... they are so fucking nice
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@eroticfishcake said:
" @Abyssfull said
Just...not Welsh.  Please.  Actually when you drop down to Galway you can always say hi to my friend, Aoife. She has great tits... 
Like Kellies Tits?
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

England - Kiss the Queen 

Ireland - Kiss the Blarney Stone

The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Philosopher
@Dylabaloo: 
Thanks, I'm 18 but I dunno if I'll be allowed to order any Guiness. Although I really wanna get some kickass Guiness mugs and some pictures of the Guiness factory. I enjoy canned/bottled Guiness so I can't even imagine how good the real stuff is.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@Dylabaloo said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" I hate to disappoint you but there isn't much in Ireland...'cept the Guiness Factory. We don't have much in history in comparison to Britian but we've got nice people. Sort of. "
+1 not so sure about the nice people part depends what part I guess (Stay away from Ballymun) Yeah glad to see your going to Ireland but its kinda bad come to think of it they'll prolly bring you to some boring ass Irish museums and seeing as its a school trip you won't be able to try our fine beverages unless your 18+ the drinking age isn't 21 over here :) Maybe you should go to Wicklow mountain :S not sure bro but have a good time! "
And Tallaght! Don't forget Tallaght! :S
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Dylabaloo said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
+1 not so sure about the nice people part depends what part I guess (Stay away from Ballymun) 

Yeah glad to see your going to Ireland but its kinda bad come to think of it they'll prolly bring you to some boring ass Irish museums and seeing as its a school trip you won't be able to try our fine beverages unless your 18+ the drinking age isn't 21 over here :) Maybe you should go to Wicklow mountain :S not sure bro but have a good time! "
Stay away from Glasnevin as well. You WILL get stabbed, shot or raped. Perhaps all three at the same time. (Well okay I may be exaggerating a little but chances are you won't go to those areas anyway.) If you like Celtic civilisations then you'll love our museums (which are FREE mind you) and ancient monuments that dot the country side though to be honest it's very unlikely that you are since if you look at it they're really just mounds of rock and dirt. I should know, I'm studying the damn things.

No such term as "Irish Cuisine" though we do like our Full Irish Breakfasts. The perfect cure for a hangover! We also make good stews and coffee in you're into those as well as Bailey's Irish Cream.
CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CptChiken
@The_Philosopher said:
" @Dylabaloo:  Thanks, I'm 18 but I dunno if I'll be allowed to order any Guiness. Although I really wanna get some kickass Guiness mugs and some pictures of the Guiness factory. I enjoy canned/bottled Guiness so I can't even imagine how good the real stuff is. "
drinking age in england is 18... so yeah guiness is definatly an option
cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cap123
@CptChiken: perhaps not on a school trip though, unless he has cool teachers.
raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By raiz265

get wasted, that's what schooltrips are there for

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eroticfishcake
@CornontheCobbe said:
" I'm living here in Dublin and I'll give you a quick low down. Kerry is full of boggers. Farmers, sheep shaggers, the likes. Don't go to Limerick, you'll probably get stabbed. Galway is very nice, but it's quite cold as it's by the sea. The rest of Ireland is full of cows, sheep, and boggers that will probably stab you. And leprechauns. Tallaght is a no-no also. DON'T EVER GO TO TALLAGHT!!! :S Don't wear the legendary Canadian Gold medal that Crosby the almighty won also, you might get stabbed for it. Jokes aside, you should definitely visit Glendalough. It's absolutely beautiful there, and there is an amazing waterfall. Dublin has some great shopping districts and a HELL OF A LOT OF PUBS!! Not pubes, pubs. So get ready for alcohol and loose women. Galway's beautiful, you should take down to Cork in the South maybe if you're in the Kerry region, it has some AMAZING landscapes, and cliffs. Go to Blarney and kiss that damn stone. Don't know too much about County Clare myself.   Bring an Umbrella. You will get wet :/    As for England, that place pretty much rocks whatever you do, it's full of everything you could want. Went to London in the summer, and met the nicest people in the world. They have awesome phone boxes too. - Dave, a fellow Canadian living in Ireland. "
What this gentleman said. The Tallaught bit especially.

Yes. But nicer tits. Plus she's a LOT less annoying.

@Abyssfull said:
" @eroticfishcake said:
" @Abyssfull said:
Just...not Welsh.  Please.   "
Or Scouze...or Cockney...infact, just plug yah ears for your entire trip, probably for the best. "

Also excellent advice. Regardless of what country you're in.
The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Philosopher
@CornontheCobbe: 
Thanks for all the tips man. I'm from Newfoundland & Labrador so I'm used to the cold and mass amounts of pubs. Actually I believe George Street in St. John's has the highest concentration of bars in the world, I could be wrong though. I'll make sure to pack an umbrella.
animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By animateria

Drink lots of beer and eat a lot of fish and chips.

I guess I'm telling you to go hit the pubs?

That's the recommendation I hear most of the time.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bombs_Away
@The_Philosopher: Coolest place in Dublin is Temple Bar. Nice little tourist friendly district. Where all the cool shops and bars are. The England bit of your tour isn't great to be honest, ok if you like walking around abbeys and squares though I guess. Only meal you need to have is a proper chippy, sausage chips and gravy.
phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By phlegms

Go have a ramble around Trinity College in Dublin. I go to college there and the book of Kells seems pretty popular. It's probably worth a look.

The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_Philosopher
@Bombs_Away: 
I'll be in Ireland for the majority of the time anyway so it's cool. I'm sure I'll at least visit a pub, I mean it seems like a major part of the culture and whatnot.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By turbomonkey138
@CptChiken said:
" @The_Philosopher: eat a deep fried mars bar... if you can find one... they are so fucking nice "
Hmm thats only available in vans ...you have to supply your own mars bar 

@The_Philosopher: Dude one thing ..Sunday roast !
Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dylabaloo
@Bombs_Away said:
" @The_Philosopher: Coolest place in Dublin is Temple Bar. Nice little tourist friendly district. Where all the cool shops and bars are. The England bit of your tour isn't great to be honest, ok if you like walking around abbeys and squares though I guess. Only meal you need to have is a proper chippy, sausage chips and gravy. "
England shouldn't be that bad seeing as they are going to London which has actual tourist attractions like Big Ben and London Eye unlike Dublin with our crappy Spire and the River Liffey full of shopping trolleys and dead guys. Ahhh Temple bar got my Lip pierced there the other day its pretty good I guess. I think this guys lucky because the weather seems to be getting better. I also recommend if you want a good laugh watch RTE 1 or 2 for awhile some of the shows are awful.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CornontheCobbe
@The_Philosopher: Haha no problem man. You may find it hard to adapt to the Irish slang and accent at first. 

The Dublin accent isn't too bad, but when it comes to Cork, Kerry or Galway, they are all different! They use a lot of different words that almost make it seem like they are trying to confuse you :S Took me a few years to adjust.

Also, there are many interesting Museums in Dublin you could visit. Trinity College is in the center of Dublin, and it's a must. The Book of Kells is there. Grafton Street, Temple Bar as Bombs_Away has mentioned are also places of interest that are close by. The phoenix park is one of the largest enclosed urban parks in Europe. It has the Zoo and tons of Deer. 

Try catching a Rugby game or GAA game (Gaelic Football, or Gaelic Hurling) in Croke Park, they are always exciting.

Grab a proper chipper meal in London, they have the BEST IN THE WORLD!!

Most importantly have fun! Take lots of pictures.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bombs_Away
@Dylabaloo said:
" @Bombs_Away said:
" @The_Philosopher: Coolest place in Dublin is Temple Bar. Nice little tourist friendly district. Where all the cool shops and bars are. The England bit of your tour isn't great to be honest, ok if you like walking around abbeys and squares though I guess. Only meal you need to have is a proper chippy, sausage chips and gravy. "
England shouldn't be that bad seeing as they are going to London which has actual tourist attractions like Big Ben and London Eye unlike Dublin with our crappy Spire and the River Liffey full of shopping trolleys and dead guys. Ahhh Temple bar got my Lip pierced there the other day its pretty good I guess. I think this guys lucky because the weather seems to be getting better. I also recommend if you want a good laugh watch RTE 1 or 2 for awhile some of the shows are awful. "
I love the Stiletto in the Ghetto! I prefer Dublin but that's probably cause I live in the UK now though and I love going back to the family. In my opinion shopping is better in Dublin, less people than London, it's cleaner and they're infinitely nicer than Londoners, those guys are moody!
jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39  Edited By jonnyboy

Stay the fuck out of Hackney. Other than that have a good time.

Also this is pretty depressing, although we had fun on our school trips, there's no way they would take us thousands of miles from home. They regretted taking us to Belgium.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By eroticfishcake

What I've learned today.

Irish and English people don't think very highly of themselves.

How true.

The_Philosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Philosopher
@jonnyboy: 
This trip is a yearly thing and the students have to pay for every cent. Last year they went to Auschwitz, I was going to go too, but my little brother got sick and spent a lot of time in the hospital so I stayed home.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i say ignore any of the big main tourism sites and spend the time doing something special you cant do at home.. something british i dunno .

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jimbo

Imperial War Museum - Awesome
Natural History Museum - Good
Madame Tussauds - A stupid idea badly executed.  Avoid. 

The whole Blarney Stone thing is just an excuse for a man to touch you -  it doesn't help with the ladies at all, trust me.  West Ireland is pretty rad though. 

We don't really have food, drink or even much of a culture of our own in England - it's just a mish mash of everything from all over the Empire really.  Go to an Indian Restaurant, get a Chicken Tikka and a few drinks, spill most of it down your top, then go and sit in a pub and watch a football match and have a few more drinks - et voila, authentic England experience.  You need to be near the coast to see the best of England really, and your itinerary looks like it's trying to avoid the coast :(

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#44  Edited By Liono88

Please kick a scouser in the nuts if you see one, thanks

baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By baconbits33
@eroticfishcake said:

Eh.... idk, depends on if your a huge like modern events buff, then you could just visit all the places where the IRA and the British clashed, which is what my Irish friend told me to do..... oh and he also told me to go backpacking around the countryside, and also..... big shocker, "Live the stereotype and get wasted and get into a fight with an Irishman, you can't come to Ireland and not have a drunken bar fight". 

@The_Philosopher:
Anyways, if your an American dude you need to take a detour and visit Lockerbie, I recently went to Arlington to visit the memorial, its.... it's just.... I can't describe the emotions.... So go one step up and visit the actual place.
elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By elbon

Quays bar galway if you get lucky tommy tiernan will be in with hector 

BeepBeepBoop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BeepBeepBoop

Well I live in Oxford, so I can advise you to have a look round our city, it's quite nice, when it is sunny.  
Buy a cookie from Ben's cookies in the covered market as they are incredible.  
The old castle is a nice place to visit. 
Jericho (just outside the centre) has some really nice places to eat/drink. 
That's just a few ideas of things to do.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Bombs_Away
@baconbits33 said

@The_Philosopher: Anyways, if your an American dude you need to take a detour and visit Lockerbie, I recently went to Arlington to visit the memorial, its.... it's just.... I can't describe the emotions.... So go one step up and visit the actual place. "
Erm....gaaaaaaaaay :p
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By baconbits33
@Bombs_Away said:
" @baconbits33 said

@The_Philosopher: Anyways, if your an American dude you need to take a detour and visit Lockerbie, I recently went to Arlington to visit the memorial, its.... it's just.... I can't describe the emotions.... So go one step up and visit the actual place. "
Erm....gaaaaaaaaay :p "
Go to hell you thoughtless fuck
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bombs_Away
@baconbits33: Haha I've got a First Class ticket with the front row reserved already my man!