What was..or is you first Job?

• 79 results
MaC122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My first job was when I was 14-15. I worked at a deli and washed dishes. I was so good at it that I got promoted to Sandwich guy. I sliced meat for sandwiches as the orders came in. The best part was that I was known as a hard worker

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got my first job at McDonald's last summer after graduating from high school. I only worked there for 2 months before I quit, but not because I hated it or anything. Having never really done any kind of work at all before, I was pretty clumsy at doing everything and had to constantly ask other people for help. Luckily, everyone(or nearly everyone) there was around my age and pretty nice too, so things weren't so bad.

I'd the say worst part about the job was dealing with customers that had shitty attitudes. I understand people have bad days and all that kind of stuff, but man, people can be pretty rude. Maybe most jobs are like that, though, so I guess it's not such a big deal.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By colourful_hippie

Used to work at McDonalds for a couple months back when I was 16 or so. It was ehh, it was mostly dealing with customers up front or drive thru.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was around 14-15 as well and my first job was bagging groceries at a Kroger owned grocery chain. Got promoted to a cashier after almost a year and quit about a year later when they really wanted me to consider taking manger positions.

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The first job where I was actually on a payroll was the place I've worked at for the last four summers in between college semesters. I work as a greenskeeper on a private country club golf course. I'm essentially a specialized landscaper in that I do "normal" landscaping work like weed whacking, standard height mowing, etc. I say specialized because I also do things like mow the greens and fairways which are cut at .125ish and .4ish respectively so I have to use special mowers, both walk and ride, to cut that low.

It's a awesome job in that I get to drive around a beautiful golf course six days a week but sucks sometimes when I'm standing in the middle of a fairway in a downpour. Its also nice that since I keep working there in the summer I'm now put in charge of segments of the grounds crew to the point where new guys often don't believe me when I tell them I'm technically not their boss. I say technically because the actual bosses still expect most of the crew to listen to me since they give me all the powers/responsibilities of a foreman while not actually making it "official".

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

had a paper route at 12. it paid very little but it let me pay cover for punk shows so that was pretty cool

IndridCipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IndridCipher

18 years old traveling half way across Pennsylvania every sunday and coming home on thursday working on a Line crew for a fiber optics company. Mostly i did traffic flagging and labor work carrying equipment through back yards in Philadelphia. With our only message to residents that we would be there being a flyer the company sent out weeks ago with a date (that was usually wrong). I occasionally and before i left a lot more frequently would climb telephone poles with a small set of boot spikes and a belt. That was pretty crazy but i was good at it and it was kind fun.

I quit that job after spending 8 months in a hotel room with a bunch of 45 year old boring boring dudes who watched Judge Judy all the god damn time. Also the stories i heard from people and the fact that everyone of them had replaced knees or hips and shitty family lives from being away constantly. The real crazy ones were of guys who were climbing the poles and would slip. You have a belt attached to you that goes around the pole so as you climb you move the belt up and you can lean back and put all your weight into your upper body to do work. Well if you slip these belts kind of.... hold you onto the pole. A lot of these poles are very very old and not in a condition where anyone should be climbing them so they are really splintery. If this happens you kind of slide down the pole and accumulate splinters as you slide and these things can pierce into your abdomen and come out a shoulder blade (if you are lucky) or just skewer you to the telephone pole and pin you up there. It is just really gruesome and as a 18 year old kid who liked to party and liked to have fun at home and get fucked up and kind of hated the people and the work. I just left, that was not a future i wanted to be a part of in any way. I loved the pay though... never regretted the decision.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By InternetDotCom

I worked at Gillette Stadium home of the New England Patriots/New England Revolution when I was like 14 or 15. I only sold water which consisted of carrying 16 1 liter bottles of water in a bucket full or ice in a stadium full of people that did not want water and when they did they weren't allowed to keep the caps. It was nice because you were done selling just after halftime of NFL games so I got see some good Patriots games before they decided that they didn't need me. Also that I playfully yelled at drunks and tried to sing didn't help my cause.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Delivered newspapers at age 13 to support my Hong Kong Cinema addiction, then three years later I got a real job at a kindergarden.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigmess

I worked at a used dvd and game store with the cringe-worthy name of Entertainmart, right as I started college.

It was cool for awhile, we got to listen to a lot of punk music, the majority of the staff was high on the pipe-dope and it was pretty laidback.

But like any independent shop, it eventually got very corporate with continuous cut-backs.

I worked my way up to assistant manager and eventually quit for a variety of reasons after about three years.

I have countless stories of insane customers. I could fill a book with some of the crazy shit I dealt with. But for the most part, it was fun.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a parking officer on a college campus all the way through undergrad and even a year into graduate school. We would write tickets on people in violation but we were able to show leniency to people by turning tickets into warnings if someone came up to talk to us about it (unless they were an ass) and we rode around on what were essentially golf carts a lot. The first few days of each semester were the absolute worst, people parking in no parking zones, on grass, etc... we would easily write over 100 tickets each every day for about a week. In the summer when there were no tickets to write we would repaint parking lots (the lines you park between) by hand and it was very hot, menial work but let me tell you, I can throw down a handicap logo like an artist.

I had my fair share of expletives yelled at me but it wasn't as terrible as it sounds mostly because my supervisor and I became good friends and I was able to circumvent quite a bit of shittiness. I still keep in touch with him to this day.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Corevi

I got a job at an EB Games pretty much as soon as I turned 16 and worked there for 9 months.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I was 16 and got a job at a local fast food chain called Arctic Circle without applying because my sister was one of the best workers there. Worked there for four months and then quit and did lawn mowing for multiple family members and made plenty of cash that way.

Everyone I worked with as a cook at the Arctic Circle were druggies or under house arrest or both. It was really quite an experience for a goody-two-shoes Mormon boy.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably a little darker than most, but I used to dig graves back in middle/high school. Strangely enough, they weren't actually supposed to be 6 feet deep. Fun fact!

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first job was when I was 20 and was folding medical garments at some local small town company. Worked their two weeks before quitting because my back was getting so sore because of the short tables that we had to work on while standing.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I worked for a local restaurant. I got the job as a busboy in September many years ago. Thought it was OK. My last day was New Year's Eve of the same year, however, as I got a phone call a few days later saying that the restaurant was going out of business and that I should come pick up my last pay check. This trend (losing jobs because the company went under) continued for my first 3 jobs.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#17 sgtsphynx  Moderator

US Marine, I didn't have an actual, official job before joining the Corps.

MaC122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and fair enough.....what do you guys want to be when you "grow up"?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

My first job was working at a family fun center part time while in high school. I ran things like go-karts, batting cages, and bumper cars. It was a good high school job but after the year I was there I needed out of there.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine was the pretty "typical" high school job. I was a cashier at a grocery store for 4 years until I went away to college.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first job was through a staffing agency. It was working 'production' at a pharmaceutical plant. That consisted of quite a few things from packaging (the plant was entirely about repackaging and distributing as far as I can remember) cleaning equipment (that was quite a process) and checking product when there were concerns about contamination (the most mind numbing process). I didn't work there that long though. I'm still at my second job which I'm employed through my university which is essentially working at an on campus convenient store/restaurant thing. Much shorter shifts and people are actually my age! At the pharmaceutical place the average age was at least 40 with 75% of the staff women. I was referred to as the 'son' of the lady who trained me a few times. I was also the youngest employee at 18 years old. It was kind of weird but not terrible. I have never worked with someone I hated. The women at my first job had some drama between them though.

@mac122 said:

and fair enough.....what do you guys want to be when you "grow up"?

Funny you should ask that. I'm deep in the process of figuring this out and have had this asked many times recently by friends, family, advisors, ect. Deciding a major in college has proved to be a difficult and stressful thing. I know deep down I want to do something science related. Like gathering data on site and taking it back and analyzing it. That sort of thing. Some real science shit. I just don't know exactly what. My current major is engineering undecided, but now I'm starting to lean on something biology related. I dream of the day I have my future all squared out. Someday. Someday!!!

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I started in retail...and still am there. Sigh. :( $21/h is alright I guess but I'm sick of it.

MaC122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MaC122

hey guys..im 34. I had no idea what I wanted to be when I was in my 20's. I Happened upon a wreck and saw how the fire and rescue did their job 15 years ago and I thought that I could be a firefighther/emt

the best part was I got my paramedic

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I suppose I technically started out with a paper route when I was in grade two. My mom made me quit when my aunt was killed by a drunk driver on my route. All through junior high and high school I worked on my dads mussel farm during summers. But I'd consider my first real job to be at a craft store in a tourist town.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fatalbanana

My first job was a bus boy at IHOP when I was 17 or so. Only worked there for about 2 weeks... I don't miss it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Security Guard at a museum. Still there because its good for school. I was like 20 when I started so I was a late bloomer I guess? Started looking when I was 17.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I worked at KFC and I fucking loved it. Something about being a teen and working in fast food and all the shenanigans that went with it that just make it more memorable than any other job I've had.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My first real job that wasn't mowing lawns, shoveling snow or selling nightcrawlers was tree planting. I lasted four weeks. It was a fucking nightmare. We were paid by the crew and there were maybe three of us on the crew who were in any kind of shape, so it very much felt like we were earning everyone's salary. First week's paycheck was $125 for the hardest week of work of my life. I managed to hang on another 3 weeks, and it was better by then since we'd lost some of the weaker links, but still not better enough to stop me taking the by-comparison cushy theater handyman/soundman/lightman job that I found right around then.

rand0mZer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I worked as a paperboy when I was 13. It was kinda like the game, except with more dogs & I flipped as over tea kettle into a thorn bush because I was going so fast on my bike because of said dogs chasing me.

Got paid good money though so...

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worked at a Krogers part time while waiting for a job to open up in the Air Force.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worked as a bus boy at 15 in a very fancy restaurant in the ski resort town I grew up in. I got the job because the owner was a very good family friend, but that also meant I was very out of place and unqualified. I used to go into the stairwell that no one used just so I could sit and not work for a few minutes. I hated the job because there was very little room for error and I don't focus very well or have great attention to detail working at speed. I also dislike dealing with high maintenance customers (which is the norm at this restaurant), and generally have a habit of just zoning out. I only worked twice a week but still quit after about 5 months. Not the worst job I ever had, but certainly the job I was worst at.

Enuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Helping my father engraving gravestones. He is a stonemason and I worked in his company when I was 14

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

dishwasher at a small little restaurant. Wasn't bad but I hated the people running it and the kitchen was more a long kitchen than a wide one and one of the main chefs was a rather big woman so trying to get past her to put the dishes away? Ugh.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blowing up baloons for kids birthday parties at McDonalds.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shelved at my local library when I was about 16 until 18 years old. Now I'm lifeguarding at an indoor pool while going to university.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Wacomole

I think I was fairly lucky with my first experience of working.

Many, many years ago I went on a school trip to a software publisher where apparently I "showed a lot of enthusiasm and interest" in the products they were showing us and as a result one of the managers took me aside and offered me a job.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't get my first job til I was 24. Seasonal data entry work for Royal Mail.

Univarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I worked at the "Fun House" at the YMCA when I was 17 watching after kids aged 5-12 while their parents went to the gym or a class. At first it was great and I got to play with legos for four hours, but then they hired a new manager who wanted more "structure" and nobody liked it, not even the kids. They asked me to come back the following summer, but I moved on and worked as a produce clerk for Lowe's Foods which paid $2 more an hour.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I was an usher at a movie theater which basically meant going around in a group of 3 guys and cleaning auditoriums after the shows ended. Also cleaning bathrooms and such. I worked there throughout college because they had really zany hours which meant I could be full time in school and work full time at the theater. It was alright, definitely not the super fun movie theater job that people think it is. The theater belonged to a big chain so there were a lot of really strict corporate rules in effect.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Customer service of a bank...yeah it was even worse than it sounds.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Worked as a courier for a law firm, delivering letters to local companies, sorting files and running errands to the bank. I once carried a check for a million to the bank. I was 16 or so.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By falserelic

I was 21 and it was at a temp service. I made a blog about it last year. After that I got a job at Meijer which I also made a blog about. Alot of annoying bullshit on this job. Felt weird at first being that guy behind the uniform.

I'm a grocery clerk I usually work on the grocery side of the store. It's a big store you'll get asked alot of questions...alot stupid ones. On top of that you better have some patience dealing with people. It can be nerve wreaking when your trying to get stuff done, but it gets slowed down because of a customer. Then alot of times you might end up doing stuff that's not in your department.

I also had to get used to having the grocery phone. I usually have no choice, but to have it on me. If you ever noticed an employee at a retail store such walmart, target, kroger etc, and you see they have a big phone sticking out that's what I'm referring too. You'll get alot of random phone calls, or you might end up running around the store trying to help someone.

I remeber recently I got a random call. A guy tasted a sample of beans at my store and wanted to know the recipe. At that point I transferred the call to my team manger...and I cut the phone off.

mithical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I worked the grill at a 60's themed burger place where the employees are expected to sing burger-related parodies of famous songs. At the end of the one year I lasted I was the most senior member of the staff who wasn't a manager. The turnover rate was pretty ridiculous. Classic shitty first job.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First full time job was working for Lloyds bank, it was a laugh actually, very positive atmosphere and had some real characters in the office.

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By s80007

I worked as a translator and a guide for some Swiss and German tourists. Got paid and bought a linkink park album :(

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worked at a movie theatre just out of high school for a couple years. Small movie theatre in the heart of downtown Toronto, plus really cheap ticket prices, so we'd get all kinds of wacky locals. I'd say about 90% of the people I worked with there ended up as good friends, it was brilliant. The kind of job you can only do while you're young and living with your parents, as the pay was shit but I made so many friends, and had money to go out at night so it was also the job I'll remember most fondly. No responsibility, no really hard work, just rip some tickets and shoot the shit.

Party

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Party

My first job is my current one. I'm an RA for my college's dorm. Figures that I never actually see a paycheck for my first job...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ripelivejam

Little caesars. Like two days a week and one being walking around putting flyers on people's doors. After that and del taco i vowed never to touch food service again.

Retail's pretty shitty too, though.

peterdotorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My brother owned a repair shop for lawnmowers, vacuum cleaners, snowblowers, etc. I worked there during the summer in high school. Not a bad gig, actually.

ZeroRegistry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joined the Navy at 22. Had no prior food service/retail experience, but since joining I've strangely accrued over 1200 hours of food service experience even though my primary job is working with computers...